News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 02, 2020, 11:46:51 PM
I was driving home from Richmond to Indy along I-70 and was reminded of how nice the rest areas along that part of I-70, around Centerville and Greenfield and it got me thinking that the state needs to update their other rest areas and maybe move some around strategically. Some of this strays into fictional territory but this would be my way of making the rest of Indiana's rest areas more updated, with more parking for cars and trucks (since we advertise the number of spaces now) while still serving the public. For this exercise I am proposing primarily the construction of rest areas similar to those I mentioned earlier along I-70 east as well as I-69 north (the Pipe Creek rest areas in Delaware County,) which I will refer to as the modern style. My plan adds three more rest areas (physically) but fills in service gaps along Indiana's interstates. Of my plan I would prioritize the upgrades to I-65's rest areas as first before moving onto the others.

I-64:
-Keep the welcome center at MM 7 and the Nancy Hanks rest areas at MM 59 in their current style
-Build a new welcome center in the modern design at Lanesville for westbound I-64 at MM 115

I-65:
-Retain the rest area/welcome center near Henryville in its current design.
-Build new rest areas in the modern design near Columbus at MM 71 or 72, there looks to be open land and room for much larger rest areas in the  modern design, demolish the current ones just north of there.
-Build new rest areas a mile or two north of the current ones in Boone County, about MM 150 or 151, build in the modern design
-Demolish the rest areas at Wolcott, MM 195 and convert to truck parking lot with maybe a small parking lot for cars
-Build new rest areas around MM 215 roughly 10 miles south of the current ones at the Kankakee River. The two new pairs of rest areas at MM 150 and 215 would include more parking to compensate for the lost of the rest area at Wolcott.

I-69:
-Build a new welcome center/rest area at Exit 10 (Lynch Road,) preferably in the southeast corner of the interchange where traffic can just go straight through the intersection to access. It can be there for southbound traffic as well to serve as an Evansville welcome center. Still it would be built in a modern design but perhaps take some design cues from the Padoga Visitors Center on the Ohio Riverfront in Evansville
-Build a new rest area at Exit 72, possibly in the northwest corner of the interchange with SR 58. Build in the modern design but with fewer parking spaces to accommodate the lower traffic. Include a small slip ramp off of the I-69 southbound off-ramp to access the rest area directly. Traffic can use nearby County Road 500 East and SR 58 to get back to I-69
-Build a new rest area at Exit 134 just northwest of where Liberty Church Road meets Turkey Track Road. Liberty Church Road currently ends at that road but you could continue across to access the rest area, available for both sides of the interstate. This one I admit would be a "nice-to-have."  Like the Exit 76 rest area it could be a smaller version of the modern design.

I-70:
-Retain the welcome center just west of the Illinois line, for now, but down the road maybe build a new one a mile or east or maybe even a few miles down the road past Exit 11
-Build new rest areas around MM 61 or 62 between SR 59 and SR 267. Build in the modern design; demolish the current rest areas nearer to Plainfield

I-74:
-Build new rest areas less than a mile west of the current rest areas in Lizton, built in the modern design.
Unfortunately Indiana wants to close up some rest areas, which I disagree big time.  For I-69, there was a rest stop that was designed somewhere near Exit 58, but was on one side and there was some sort of an overpass/underpass for the other traffic to access.  That was dropped due for cost savings.  I do like your plan for a welcome center in Evansville, but I had theorized placing it at Exit 5 on the SE corner of the interchange.  There are a couple of properties (one of which is for sale right now) that would be large enough to place a rest area/welcome center/parking lot, with enough room for semis.  There is also an access road right next to it with a traffic light for IN-662, which would make it easier for traffic to get back on the interstate.

2trailertrucker

INDOT needs to make the exits from the rest areas more safe. For example, the rest areas at West Terre Haute and Plainfield have a winding entrance to where the driver takes longer to merge at a safe speed. It takes even longer for a semi, especially when dodging the trucks parked on the ramp.

What were they thinking?

captkirk_4

I was driving home from Richmond to Indy along I-70 and was reminded of how nice the rest areas along that part of I-70, around Centerville and Greenfield and it got me thinking that the state needs to update their other rest areas and maybe move some around strategically. Some of this strays into fictional territory but this would be my way of making the rest of Indiana's rest areas more updated, with more parking for cars and trucks (since we advertise the number of spaces now) while still serving the public. For this exercise I am proposing primarily the construction of rest areas similar to those I mentioned earlier along I-70 east as well as I-69 north (the Pipe Creek rest areas in Delaware County,) which I will refer to as the modern style. My plan adds three more rest areas (physically) but fills in service gaps along Indiana's interstates. Of my plan I would prioritize the upgrades to I-65's rest areas as first before moving onto the others.

I-64:
-Keep the welcome center at MM 7 and the Nancy Hanks rest areas at MM 59 in their current style
-Build a new welcome center in the modern design at Lanesville for westbound I-64 at MM 115

I-65:
-Build new rest areas in the modern design near Columbus at MM 71 or 72, there looks to be open land and room for much larger rest areas in the  modern design, demolish the current ones just north of there.
-Build new rest areas a mile or two north of the current ones in Boone County, about MM 150 or 151, build in the modern design
-Demolish the rest areas at Wolcott, MM 195 and convert to truck parking lot with maybe a small parking lot for cars
-Build new rest areas around MM 215 roughly 10 miles south of the current ones at the Kankakee River. The two new pairs of rest areas at MM 150 and 215 would include more parking to compensate for the lost of the rest area at Wolcott.

I-69:
-Build a new welcome center/rest area at Exit 10 (Lynch Road,) preferably in the southeast corner of the interchange where traffic can just go straight through the intersection to access. It can be there for southbound traffic as well to serve as an Evansville welcome center. Still it would be built in a modern design but perhaps take some design cues from the Padoga Visitors Center on the Ohio Riverfront in Evansville
-Build a new rest area at Exit 72, possibly in the northwest corner of the interchange with SR 58. Build in the modern design but with fewer parking spaces to accommodate the lower traffic. Include a small slip ramp off of the I-69 southbound off-ramp to access the rest area directly. Traffic can use nearby County Road 500 East and SR 58 to get back to I-69
-Build a new rest area at Exit 134 just northwest of where Liberty Church Road meets Turkey Track Road. Liberty Church Road currently ends at that road but you could continue across to access the rest area, available for both sides of the interstate. This one I admit would be a "nice-to-have."  Like the Exit 76 rest area it could be a smaller version of the modern design.

I-70:
-Retain the welcome center just west of the Illinois line, for now, but down the road maybe build a new one a mile or east or maybe even a few miles down the road past Exit 11
-Build new rest areas around MM 61 or 62 between SR 59 and SR 267. Build in the modern design; demolish the current rest areas nearer to Plainfield

I-74:
-Build new rest areas less than a mile west of the current rest areas in Lizton, built in the modern design.

Well if they could do something about the smell in those rest areas. They really stink bad, the ones in Illinois and Kentucky don't have this stench. The one in Illinois on I 74 by Farmer City should be the gold standard of what they should be, huge clean restrooms and they even have a TV running weather radar 24/7 right above the vending machines which is nice to see if you are heading into a storm.

Revive 755

Quote from: captkirk_4 on August 04, 2020, 08:48:56 AM
Well if they could do something about the smell in those rest areas. They really stink bad, the ones in Illinois and Kentucky don't have this stench. The one in Illinois on I 74 by Farmer City should be the gold standard of what they should be, huge clean restrooms and they even have a TV running weather radar 24/7 right above the vending machines which is nice to see if you are heading into a storm.

Some of the Iowa rest areas used to be better, with a computer kiosk to get weather and other information, plus free wifi.

nwi_navigator_1181

Good news in Northwest Indiana.

Work on Indiana 2 between Hebron and Valparaiso has completed more than six weeks ahead of schedule. A new roundabout is now in place at County Road 100 South (109th Avenue in Crown Point), and modifications to the intersection with County Road 500 West have been made.

On 109th Avenue itself in Crown Point, a new roundabout has been constructed on Mississippi Street, just east of the I-65 interchange. This is one of multiple improvements set to be completed between Iowa Street (where a second roundabout is set to be constructed) and Broadway (widening planned between there and I-65*).

Final preparations for the major US 12/20 realignment in Gary are nearing completion. Power line reinstallation has been completed, and side project work along Lake Street north of the corridor has been progressing nicely. The plan is to start work in 2021. To refresh: when completed, the current split of US 12 and 20 will be shifted further east (the split will still be there, but the physical road currently occupied by US 12 will end at Clay Street). The new split will be east of Lake Street, with US 12 breaking away from US 20 and rejoining its original path just west of the CSX and Old Hobart Road overpasses. All of this is in preparation for the double tracking of the entire South Shore Line from Chicago to South Bend.

Bridge refurbishments are still in progress along I-65 and I-80/94. Between US 30 and Ridge Road, southbound traffic is utilizing a counter flow lane (leftmost lane in the northbound side of the highway) while crews work on the southbound bridges. Currently, all southbound entrances from US 30 are closed, with Broadway (Indiana 53) and US 231 as detour routes. On I-80/94, all lanes are open but split and merge at various points near work zones. On top of this, the Broadway and Grant Street bridges are also being repaired. All work is set to conclude in November, but is likely to be completed sooner due to the head start earlier this year.

*EDIT: By "planned,"  I guess I mean "completed."  Work to widen 109th Avenue from west of Broadway to I-65 was announced as completed ahead of schedule by the city's mayor today (8-17-20). Two lanes in each direction with left turn lanes at major conflict points.)
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on August 16, 2020, 12:46:15 PM
On 109th Avenue itself in Crown Point, a new roundabout has been constructed on Mississippi Street, just east of the I-65 interchange. This is one of multiple improvements set to be completed between Iowa Street (where a second roundabout is set to be constructed) and Broadway (widening planned between there and I-65).

109th between Boadway and Randolph would be a good candidate for promotion to state highway, along with CR 17 between the Toll Road and IN 119 in Elkhart County.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dvferyance

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 16, 2020, 01:01:51 PM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on August 16, 2020, 12:46:15 PM
On 109th Avenue itself in Crown Point, a new roundabout has been constructed on Mississippi Street, just east of the I-65 interchange. This is one of multiple improvements set to be completed between Iowa Street (where a second roundabout is set to be constructed) and Broadway (widening planned between there and I-65).

109th between Boadway and Randolph would be a good candidate for promotion to state highway, along with CR 17 between the Toll Road and IN 119 in Elkhart County.
CR 17 would make perfect sense but why stop at the toll road? It should go up to the state line so that M-217 has an Indiana counterpart. Same on the Michigan side they should bring back M-205 so IIn-19 isn't orphaned either. What was the big deal M-205 was like what a mile long? An extra mile of maintenance is not going to hurt a transportation budget on little bit.

dvferyance

Quote from: Life in Paradise on August 03, 2020, 01:01:12 PM

I-64:

I-65:

I-69:

I-70:

I-74:
Unfortunately Indiana wants to close up some rest areas, which I disagree big time.  For I-69, there was a rest stop that was designed somewhere near Exit 58, but was on one side and there was some sort of an overpass/underpass for the other traffic to access.  That was dropped due for cost savings.  I do like your plan for a welcome center in Evansville, but I had theorized placing it at Exit 5 on the SE corner of the interchange.  There are a couple of properties (one of which is for sale right now) that would be large enough to place a rest area/welcome center/parking lot, with enough room for semis.  There is also an access road right next to it with a traffic light for IN-662, which would make it easier for traffic to get back on the interstate.
I wish they hadn't closed the WB one on I-74 at MM23 years ago. The EB I get it not far from the welcome center about 20 miles away. The WB one should have stayed open.

thefro

I-65 is now six lanes from Seymour to Walesboro, project to expand Walesboro to Columbus to 6 lanes should start construction in the spring.

http://www.tribtown.com/2020/09/09/indot_wraps_up_2_years_of_construction_on_interstate_65/

QuoteInterstate 65 between U.S. 50 in Seymour and State Road 58 in Walesboro has expanded to three lanes of travel in each direction.

After two and a half years of construction, the $143 million I-65 Southeast Indiana Project is mostly complete with some work continuing at the State Road 11 interchange through the end of November. That exit, Exit 55, just north of Seymour, remains closed to traffic.

A reduced speed limit of 65 mph is in place from the 54-mile-marker to the 56.5-mile-marker during that construction.

State and local government officials gathered Tuesday morning for a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the northbound weigh station near Seymour to signify the official opening of the new travel lanes, which span 14.25 miles.

QuoteThe contract for the next section of added travel lanes on I-65 from State Road 58 in Walesboro to State Road 46 in Columbus is expected to go to bid later this fall with construction beginning in the spring.

silverback1065

looks like indy to louisville will be the first piece to be 6 lanes from state line to indy.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 09, 2020, 01:10:50 PM
looks like indy to louisville will be the first piece to be 6 lanes from state line to indy.

Still need to do:
MM 16 (Memphis) to MM 50 (Seymour)
MM 68 (Columbus) to MM 90 (Franklin)

I do expect this to be finished before the northern half, but I also expect we're at least 10 years away from it.

silverback1065

That 46 bridge will likely be the last one it's going to cost a lot to widen

tdindy88

Yeah about that 46 bridge, how do you widen a literal work of art? I sure hope the bridge can keep it's architectural style.

If I recall, Memphis Road to Scottsburg (MM 16-29) is next up after the Walesboro to Columbus part gets finished. Judging by some of the bridge work along I-65 around the Wabash River in Lafayette and south toward SR 28 I would guess that widening I-65 from SR 47 north through the rest of the Lafayette area (SR 43) may not be too far down the road either.

I-55

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 09, 2020, 02:54:51 PM
That 46 bridge will likely be the last one it's going to cost a lot to widen

Along with the Flatrock River Bridge.

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 09, 2020, 03:38:24 PM
Yeah about that 46 bridge, how do you widen a literal work of art? I sure hope the bridge can keep it's architectural style.

It may not be a part of the load bearing structure but I agree that the arch should at least be there. They should build the bridge similar to US-31 at IN-32 in Westfield, but with 3 lanes each way on 46 and a larger median on 65 to let the arch sit as a landmark.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2020/09/10/i-70-rockville-road-changes-planned-federal-highway-funds/3460891001/

USDOT gives INDOT $27.5 million for two projects:

1. I-70 widening in Hancock County (from Mount Comfort Road to Greenfield)- construction to start in late 2021 or early 2022 at a cost of $22.5 million, and it will include:

• Widen I-70 to three lanes in each direction
  • Replace pavement along about 5 miles of westbound lanes
  • Fix pavement along about 5 miles of eastbound and westbound lanes
  • Reconfigure the eastbound lane drop and westbound lane at Mt. Comfort Road

2. US 36 widening in Avon- construction to start in mid-2021 at a cost of $5 million, and it will include:

• Add an additional travel lane in each direction
  • Replace the two-way left turning-lane with a raised/curbed median
  • Install infrastructure to accommodate non-motorized travel
  • Modernize the existing intersections that have traffic signals

jhuntin1

Interesting that US 36 won a grant. That section desperately needs expansion, but I'm surprised a municipal section won out over interstate sections.

Also, INDOT has updated the signs on I-465 on the southeast side to add US 421 to the I-74 exit. It must have happened in the last week or so, because I didn't notice it until Wednesday.

silverback1065

Quote from: jhuntin1 on September 20, 2020, 04:21:07 PM
Interesting that US 36 won a grant. That section desperately needs expansion, but I'm surprised a municipal section won out over interstate sections.

Also, INDOT has updated the signs on I-465 on the southeast side to add US 421 to the I-74 exit. It must have happened in the last week or so, because I didn't notice it until Wednesday.
Finally!

tdindy88

I was just looking up about US 421 this evening when I noticed this "interesting" thing on its Wikipedia page.

Future
US 421 will be also a freeway in Indiana from Greensburg to Versailles. US 421 freeway will go near, or pass through Napoleon, and Osgood.

Um....right.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 20, 2020, 09:37:55 PM
I was just looking up about US 421 this evening when I noticed this "interesting" thing on its Wikipedia page.

Future
US 421 will be also a freeway in Indiana from Greensburg to Versailles. US 421 freeway will go near, or pass through Napoleon, and Osgood.

Um....right.
no way that's true

Flint1979

Future

Um....right.
That one makes very little sense.

KeithE4Phx

Future

Um....right.

Freeway on 421?  Why?  It's a rural road that goes through a bunch of small towns.  Is there enough traffic to justify a freeway?

It doesn't even need to exist north of Greensburg.  It's either co-signed with other highways (notably I-74 between Greensburg and Indy), or could be replaced by the state highway numbers, such as IN 29 and 43 that it replaced in the 1950s.

Back when I was a kid in the 1960s, it was a fairly heavily traveled highway.  We drove it as part of the trip between Bloomington and the Indiana Dunes, near where my grandparents lived, because it was faster than using the out-of-the-way US 52 to 41.  But once I-65 was completed, there was no real need to take 421.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

tdindy88

Someone was being stupid when they wrote that, there's not even a source cited. There's not even enough traffic to justify passing lanes (and there's a few Indiana two-lane highways that could use some of those.)

I was thinking something similar about US 421 not being needed north of Greensburg too. I suppose it's kept there because a large part of it is the Michigan Road or perhaps there's a real desire to have a U.S. highway that connects Lake Michigan with the Atlantic Ocean.

As for US 421, I'd reroute it onto I-65 from Indianapolis up to West Lafayette and then have it follow SR 43 north to Reynolds and then along its normal routing from there. Eliminate SR 43 (leaving just the Southern Indiana part) and restore SR 29 along Michigan Road from Indy to Logansport, as well as allowing SR 28 and 39 to follow their own route without a U.S. highway chaperone.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 21, 2020, 12:07:33 AM
Someone was being stupid when they wrote that, there's not even a source cited. There's not even enough traffic to justify passing lanes (and there's a few Indiana two-lane highways that could use some of those.)

I was thinking something similar about US 421 not being needed north of Greensburg too. I suppose it's kept there because a large part of it is the Michigan Road or perhaps there's a real desire to have a U.S. highway that connects Lake Michigan with the Atlantic Ocean.

As for US 421, I'd reroute it onto I-65 from Indianapolis up to West Lafayette and then have it follow SR 43 north to Reynolds and then along its normal routing from there. Eliminate SR 43 (leaving just the Southern Indiana part) and restore SR 29 along Michigan Road from Indy to Logansport, as well as allowing SR 28 and 39 to follow their own route without a U.S. highway chaperone.

Since so much of 421 is the old Michigan Road, I always thought that it should have continued north on 29 instead of turning west, and following 29 to Logansport and then 25 to Rochester, and end at 31.

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 21, 2020, 07:24:32 AM

Since so much of 421 is the old Michigan Road, I always thought that it should have continued north on 29 instead of turning west, and following 29 to Logansport and then 25 to Rochester, and end at 31.
What would current US-421 between Frankfort and Michigan City become? That route following 29 to 25 and ending at 31 does make some sense. I don't see the need for 421 to go all the way to Michigan City.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 21, 2020, 07:51:07 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 21, 2020, 07:24:32 AM

What would current US-421 between Frankfort and Michigan City become? That route following 29 to 25 and ending at 31 does make some sense. I don't see the need for 421 to go all the way to Michigan City.

Boyleston-Frankfort is already IN 28, Frankfort-Monticello is already IN 39, Monticello-Reynolds is already US 24, so all you need a number for Reynolds-Michigan City and that could just be an extension of IN 43.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.