News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

access control continues on us 31 in hamilton county. they just turned 216th st into a riro

JREwing78

Quote from: Crash_It on September 26, 2020, 05:29:10 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 24, 2020, 08:09:30 PM
Why do they make the truck speed limit 5 miles lower?

This happens where there is no rural truck speed limit... So that has nothing to do with it

To less of a degree, yes. But you clearly haven't experienced the hell that was I-94 in southern Michigan when trucks were capped at 55 mph (but cars were posted for 70). With 10,000 heavy trucks driving it every day (and 40,000 other vehicles), it was utter misery. Bumping the truck limit up to 60, then eventually 65, has improved the situation considerably.

In the 40 mile stretch of I-94 between US-131 and I-69, there were times I was able to travel the (car) speed limit for maybe 5 miles of that 40, despite perfect weather. The rest of the time I was 10-20 cars back behind a semi doing 55 1/2 passing a semi doing 55. It's a road that needed 6-laning 20 years ago, and probably won't be completed for another 30-40 years.

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 06, 2020, 11:22:01 AM
access control continues on us 31 in hamilton county. they just turned 216th st into a riro

I thought this was supposed to be a cul-de-sac per the INDOT plans. Or is that coming later?

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 06, 2020, 09:12:37 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on October 06, 2020, 11:22:01 AM

I thought this was supposed to be a cul-de-sac per the INDOT plans. Or is that coming later?

must be coming later, i drove by last weekend and the median is now blocked off. this must be a temporary measure before the RIRO is constructed.

monty

Interesting. That intersection will be closed as per the current US 31 plan. I’m guessing that it was shut down due to safety concerns. I’m sure the McClure’s owner isn’t happy but that is such a dangerous intersection - made worse by crossing traffic, including large trucks.
monty

Flint1979

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 06, 2020, 09:03:53 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on September 26, 2020, 05:29:10 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 24, 2020, 08:09:30 PM
Why do they make the truck speed limit 5 miles lower?

This happens where there is no rural truck speed limit... So that has nothing to do with it

To less of a degree, yes. But you clearly haven't experienced the hell that was I-94 in southern Michigan when trucks were capped at 55 mph (but cars were posted for 70). With 10,000 heavy trucks driving it every day (and 40,000 other vehicles), it was utter misery. Bumping the truck limit up to 60, then eventually 65, has improved the situation considerably.

In the 40 mile stretch of I-94 between US-131 and I-69, there were times I was able to travel the (car) speed limit for maybe 5 miles of that 40, despite perfect weather. The rest of the time I was 10-20 cars back behind a semi doing 55 1/2 passing a semi doing 55. It's a road that needed 6-laning 20 years ago, and probably won't be completed for another 30-40 years.
With the way MDOT does things I don't expect them to do anything any time soon. This is Indiana's thread but US-23 is in the same shape between Ann Arbor and Flint. I-94 is still in dire need of widening and it still does get backed up with those semi trucks. Every time I ride on it I'm wanting to get off the highway right away.

silverback1065

Unfortunately we have to wait until 2022 to see this sorely needed project to begin  :(

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2020/10/14/indianapolis-traffic-interstate-465-69-undergo-widening/3640409001/

This will be so much better once it's done!

silverback1065

The West st. interchange with 65 is done, new signs appear to be coming soon as new foundations have been set. The added capacity at this interchange is welcome for next year when the north split will close for 2 years or however long it's planned to be under construction.

Revive 755

This "Interstate Plans in Indianapolis" blog post may be of interest, as there is mention of a past proposal for connecting I-74 to I-65 west of downtown:  https://intransporthistory.home.blog/2020/02/27/interstate-plans-in-indianapolis/.

silverback1065

I-74 never needed to go inside 465, the only useful section of 74 is the piece on the south east side of town. i wish 65 had shot out of 465 at where 865 is and that whole piece of 465 was more circular. if it were built that way it would be a more useful route. currently 65 from west st to 465 isn't as useful as it could have been. i also would have placed the south split further south of where it is, 70 down there and the south split destroyed that area of the city, could have been placed better. not having 69 down to the north split isn't a big deal really. traffic on 70 and 465 is fine, the only annoying section is the fall creek valley and that will be fixed in 2023 when they build the new 69 interchange on the north east side.

cjw2001

Virtual flyover views of the I69 / I465 Northside Clearpath 465 project new interchange:

Great Lakes Roads

I got a notification on my phone from INDOT this morning that said "I-65/I-70 North Split to begin construction within the next 3-4 weeks"... So, that means we got an official starting date!

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 17, 2020, 01:29:11 PM
I got a notification on my phone from INDOT this morning that said "I-65/I-70 North Split to begin construction within the next 3-4 weeks"... So, that means we got an official starting date!

it starts 11/30/20

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/2ab40ee

65/70 will close for 2 yrs in may

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.facebook.com/INDOTEast/posts/3660282500689459

First of four new interchanges along SR 37 in Fishers completed - 126th Street now officially goes over SR 37 with a dogbone roundabout interchange, which is very similar to Keystone Parkway and US 31 in Carmel, and 131st and 141st Street interchanges will be very similar to this one.

The 146th Street interchange will be constructed as a SPUI instead of a dogbone roundabout interchange like originally proposed due to the high traffic counts along that corridor.

JREwing78

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 20, 2020, 06:57:22 PM
https://www.facebook.com/INDOTEast/posts/3660282500689459

First of four new interchanges along SR 37 in Fishers completed - 126th Street now officially goes over SR 37 with a dogbone roundabout interchange, which is very similar to Keystone Parkway and US 31 in Carmel, and 131st and 141st Street interchanges will be very similar to this one.

I find it interesting that they chose a ground-mounted BGS instead of affixing it to the overpass.

Great Lakes Roads

Updates on I-65 from Indianapolis to Lafayette (November 2020)

1. New sign gantries went up upon the completion of the Keystone Avenue bridge replacement project.
https://flic.kr/p/2ka9Zas

2. New arrows went up at the exit 114 off-ramp heading SB which is obviously a temporary place over as they have poured concrete for the new sign gantry to go behind the existing one...
https://flic.kr/p/2ka9ZaT

https://flic.kr/p/2ka9zHg

3. New gantry for the exit 115 SB off-ramp is undergoing replacement and concrete is currently poured and is being cured...

4. New SB third-lane extension at the exit 129 interchange is done and some signs are already up (two left lane ends signs) & other sign gantries are waiting to be installed and/or replaced...

5. Exit 130 NB ramp has been reconstructed and improved... waiting for new signs to go up...

6. Traffic has been shifted to the right for the new DDI interchange at MM 131 (bridge pier work in the median?)... also some work going on at the west side of the interchange...

7. Exit 133 interchange at SR 267 looks like it's going well with the traffic now being shifted into the median for some ramp work as well as some bridgework for the eastbound traffic through the interchange... retaining wall is in a work of progress with the bridge pier in the median already done.

8. Bridge deck replacement and widening at the Sugar Creek looks like it's almost done... traffic is currently being shifted to the left side of the bridge...

9. Not 100% sure on what INDOT is doing with the bridges over Mason-Colfax Road because they have SB traffic shifted over to the median...

10. The bridges over the abandoned railroad track just north of the Exit 158 interchange is completed and removed...

11. The bridges over the Lauramine Creek (mile marker 164) has its deck overlayed with the approaches being replaced, and the temporary bridge removed and dismantled in the median.

12. The NB bridge over the Wabash River has all of the line markings ready to go for a major traffic shift, and it looks like the three-laned section will now extend up to about 1500 feet north of the widened bridges... the approaches has also been replaced with concrete.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: cjw2001 on November 09, 2020, 11:09:02 AM
Virtual flyover views of the I69 / I465 Northside Clearpath 465 project new interchange:

Is there going to be a connection between West I-465 and South Binford? It doesn't look like it, I don't think.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

silverback1065

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 29, 2020, 02:26:13 PM
Quote from: cjw2001 on November 09, 2020, 11:09:02 AM

Is there going to be a connection between West I-465 and South Binford? It doesn't look like it, I don't think.

no and there isn't one now.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

silverback1065

nwi_navigator_1181

Along with the new Super 2 bridge on Cline Avenue now finally built and scheduled for a winter opening, some projects in Northwest Indiana are already set for next season.

INDOT recently held a virtual public hearing on a interchange modification project for I-65 at 109th Avenue in Crown Point. The plan is to convert the interchange into a dogbone (a roundabout on each side of the underpass, similar to the US 20/Indiana 2 interchange at Rolling Prairie), removing the traffic lights that currently control the flow of traffic. I-65 traffic would be unaffected, but closures are likely. This is all part of a local project to widen 109th Avenue from Iowa Street (east of I-65, where another roundabout is set to be built) to Broadway.

The big one that I mentioned a few months ago is also set to begin in spring. To recap, a stretch of US 12/20 in Miller (Gary) is undergoing a major realignment, making room for the complete double-tracking of the South Shore Line from the state line to South Bend. The current split of US 12/20 will be moved 1.5 miles further east, where US 12 will split from US 20 east of Lake Street and the Miller South Shore station, heading north and rejoining the current footprint by the CSX and Old Hobart Road bridges. As part of the upcoming project, work on Lake Street has been completed, and power lines have been repositioned to accommodate the new project limits.

The old split will still be present when completed, but the spoke will end at Clay Street. Through traffic will drive on New Dunes Highway, but local interests will have access to Lake Street and the beaches using this spoke (via Clay Street and 7th or Miller Avenue). The realigned stretch will have sidewalks, crosswalks, decorative lighting, and a center turn lane. All work is slated to be finished by Winter 2021.

I actually live by the area, so I'll keep you all posted, and will likely provide pictures when major progress is made.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

I've been told the NE wrap and SE quadrant ramp are open to traffic at US 24 and I-469 in Fort Wayne, can anyone confirm this?

westerninterloper

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 11, 2020, 09:11:29 AM
I've been told the NE wrap and SE quadrant ramp are open to traffic at US 24 and I-469 in Fort Wayne, can anyone confirm this?

Both correct - i was through there last week.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

silverback1065

wonderful! i bet traffic flows there nicely now

I-55

Got back from college a couple weeks ago, haven't been on that side of town recently. I'll try to get an update this month if I can. Hopefully the flyover is under way.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.