News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55

I saw on the local news tonight (WPTA) that many mayors and local leaders have been pushing for a US-30 freeway conversion across Indiana. I could not find a link to the story on their website. I did see a survey crew at 30 and Flaugh on my way to work this morning, so maybe the Allen County portion is going to be getting under way soon.

Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

I-39

Quote from: I-55 on December 17, 2020, 05:52:23 PM
I saw on the local news tonight (WPTA) that many mayors and local leaders have been pushing for a US-30 freeway conversion across Indiana. I could not find a link to the story on their website. I did see a survey crew at 30 and Flaugh on my way to work this morning, so maybe the Allen County portion is going to be getting under way soon.

Not needed at all. If they won't even do US 31 from South Bend to Indianapolis, then why would they do this?

I-55

https://wpta21.com/2020/12/17/elected-officials-in-ne-indiana-call-on-state-government-to-fund-conversion-of-u-s-30-into-freeway/

ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WPTA21) - There are encouraging signs for people excited to see a major improvement of U.S. 30 running from Fort Wayne to northwest Indiana.

Indiana's governor has joined elected officials from this area in saying upgrades to the four-lane highway should be a priority going forward.

The Mayors and Commissioners Caucus of Northeast Indiana on Thursday formally called on state government officials to figure out how to fund the conversion of 30 into a freeway.

The roughly 150-mile stretch of U.S. 30 from the Ohio state line to around Valparaiso is a major route to transport people and commercial goods.

Local officials say the road needs to move traffic more efficiently and safer.

The Indiana Department of Transportation commissioner attended a meeting of business leaders in Fort Wayne Thursday.

State Senator Liz Brown says it was brought up that INDOT is now focusing attention on a more limited Planning and Environmental Linkage Study that could speed up the start of a long process towards a major upgrade of U.S. 30 in the Hoosier state.

Brown is nervous that INDOT will eventually make less ambitious improvements and stop short of doing what, in her mind, is really needed to make the roadway all it can be.

"And they won't continue forward to make it a freeway between here and Valpo. So it is disconcerting because there are major manufacturers here who are suggesting that they will not expand in this community if something (the freeway) is not done," Brown said.

Allen County Commissioner Nelson Peters is encouraged that Governor Eric Holcomb has included making a major investment in U.S. 30 among his infrastructure improvement priorities.

"The governor just rolled out his next level agenda and right there in its infinite glory was something regarding the expansion of U-S 30, so it is now on the governor's radar," Peters said.

INDOT indicates converting U.S. 30 into a freeway would carry a price tag of at least $1-billion in construction costs alone.

I personally don't think it will be a full freeway (though I will continue to push for it) but rather shorter freeway segments and removed traffic signals in other locations.

NWI_Irish96

What is the distance from the Toll Road within which INDOT is prohibited from having new freeways? For some reason 30 miles is in my head and if that's the number then you can't upgrade anything west of US 31.

Just doing Warsaw as a stand-alone project would do wonders for the travel time and safety on 30.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on December 17, 2020, 06:13:28 PM
Quote from: I-55 on December 17, 2020, 05:52:23 PM

Not needed at all. If they won't even do US 31 from South Bend to Indianapolis, then why would they do this?

It is needed - existing US 30 has way too many stoplights.

tdindy88

Thinking about a potential US 30 project. They could start out with the following:

Maybe a freeway from SR 49 in Valpo to the US 421 (along with a final freewayization of SR 49 to I-94)
Removal of stoplights around Plymouth with exits or simple grade-separation
Freeway around all of the Warsaw sprawl, perhaps stretching across all of Kosciusko County from SR 19 to SR 13
Freeway from the west side of Columbia City to I-69. Notably I believe the right-of-way already exists around SR 9 or 109 in Columbia City.
Individual exits for SR 5, SR 13, SR 19, SR 23 and SR 39. Knowing INDOT they'll want to do J-turns at all those crossings.

I-55

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 17, 2020, 09:22:56 PM
Thinking about a potential US 30 project. They could start out with the following:

Maybe a freeway from SR 49 in Valpo to the US 421 (along with a final freewayization of SR 49 to I-94)
Freeway around all of the Warsaw sprawl, perhaps stretching across all of Kosciusko County from SR 19 to SR 13
Freeway from the west side of Columbia City to I-69. Notably I believe the right-of-way already exists around SR 9 or 109 in Columbia City.
Individual exits for SR 5, SR 13, SR 19, SR 23 and SR 39. Knowing INDOT they'll want to do J-turns at all those crossings.

If INDOT wants free flow Pierceton and Larwill are going to be a piece of work, regardless of whether its freeway or not (no ROW and too much traffic to be left as stop sign/j-turn.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 17, 2020, 09:07:38 PM
What is the distance from the Toll Road within which INDOT is prohibited from having new freeways? For some reason 30 miles is in my head and if that's the number then you can't upgrade anything west of US 31.

Just doing Warsaw as a stand-alone project would do wonders for the travel time and safety on 30.
I just did a Google search and read a in-depth review of the 75 year lease of the toll road.  I was amazed to find out that the actual distance that the state has a non-compete is 10 miles (five miles each side of the ITR).  Also, the multi-lane road would have to be 20 miles long within that distance for the lessee to be eligible for compensation from the state.  As a result, US30 is fair game all the way from Fort Wayne to the Illinois State Line, since it is farther than 5 miles from the toll road.

I-55

Drove through the 469/24 interchange tonight. All construction is done and the ramps are as discussed earlier. The auxiliary lane for I-469N extends beyond the loop ramp in a similar fashion to I-69 Exit 309. There is space between the 469N-24E ramp and the southern loop ramp for a flyover, but there appears to be no work towards it, so at least for now the ramp is cancelled.

thefarmerchris

We are starting to go fictional at this point, but what if the Illiana was resurrected and have the freeway continue from SR49/US30 westward into Illinois like planned?
The hardest parts of this project would be the Fort Wayne to Warsaw segment. The SR9 exit should've been done by now as that is the biggest choke point between Fort Wayne and Warsaw. The right of way is there.....just do it. Also, rebuild the US30/I69 interchange to be more free-flowing.......
Finally, I could see INDOT doing J turns to save money even though interchanges would be better for traffic flow.

silverback1065

Quote from: thefarmerchris on December 19, 2020, 11:14:25 AM

We are starting to go fictional at this point, but what if the Illiana was resurrected and have the freeway continue from SR49/US30 westward into Illinois like planned?
The hardest parts of this project would be the Fort Wayne to Warsaw segment. The SR9 exit should've been done by now as that is the biggest choke point between Fort Wayne and Warsaw. The right of way is there.....just do it. Also, rebuild the US30/I69 interchange to be more free-flowing.......
Finally, I could see INDOT doing J turns to save money even though interchanges would be better for traffic flow.

looks like you can fit a parclo in there at us 30 and 9, problem is the proximity to sr 109.

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 19, 2020, 11:23:23 AM
looks like you can fit a parclo in there at us 30 and 9, problem is the proximity to sr 109.

Just build an overpass for SR 109 and use the frontage roads north and south of US 30 for access to businesses. It wouldn't be too different from what they're planning for I-69 around Martinsville now. Presumably Columbia City would have another exit to the west around Lincoln Highway and then one to the east at SR 205.

thefarmerchris

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 19, 2020, 11:55:07 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 19, 2020, 11:23:23 AM

Just build an overpass for SR 109 and use the frontage roads north and south of US 30 for access to businesses. It wouldn't be too different from what they're planning for I-69 around Martinsville now. Presumably Columbia City would have another exit to the west around Lincoln Highway and then one to the east at SR 205.

Also reroute 109 along the north frontage road for truck traffic.

thenetwork

It's been 15 years since I last traveled US-30 across Indiana, but isn't the area around Merrilville/I-65 still a major slow point for cross-state travelers?  Has there ever been plans for a limited access bypass of that congested area?

I-55

Quote from: thenetwork on December 20, 2020, 01:52:11 PM
It's been 15 years since I last traveled US-30 across Indiana, but isn't the area around Merrilville/I-65 still a major slow point for cross-state travelers?  Has there ever been plans for a limited access bypass of that congested area?

Extended Illiana ideas are all I've seen.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thenetwork on December 20, 2020, 01:52:11 PM

Yes, US 30 is really slow west of Valparaiso, but depending on where you're headed there are alternatives. IN 49 north gets you to the Toll Road and I-94, and IN 2 west gets you to I-65 with far fewer stoplights.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

SR 37 will close on 1/2/21 according to a vms sign on 465 I saw yesterday.

Pixel 5

Ryctor2018

2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

nwi_navigator_1181

Nothing of major importance to report, but during a recent drive on the Indiana Toll Road, I noticed some pretty cool implementations across the stretch from the Cline Avenue east ramp to the I-94 interchange. I do not know if the features extend to the Illinois state line or go beyond the Portage barrier, but here's what I saw:

At various points, there are new overhead VMS's that include the general messages (no road rages, protect construction workers, hands free, etc.); however, if any special events or construction takes place, the signs include variable speed limit signs that activate based on the situation or what lies ahead.

Exclusively to one portion of the road: just east of the I-65-US 12/20 interchange is a sharp curve that can be taken at speed. I don't know of any accidents that happened in that area, but the ITR plans to keep it that way. In both directions is a curve ahead sign with flashing yellow lights along the edge of the curve arrow, followed by a series of chevrons that also have flashing yellow lights along their borders. The chevrons flash sequentially from front to back, in the same way the lights flash on an airport runway at night to guide the plane in.

I really hope they add more of these safety measures to other portions of the Toll Road; the curve east of Laporte (near Fail Road and US 20) would be a great place to implement the latter feature, while the South Bend-Mishawaka area would be a great area to put the former feature into action.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

nwi_navigator_1181

A fun note:

To celebrate this year's March Madness tournament taking place entirely in Indiana (specifically, West Lafayette, Indianapolis, Bloomington, and Evansville), crews have placed specialized signing along the interstates near the area (I-70, for example, has a customized shield with the nickname "Hoosier Hoops Highway"  placed on top of it). These signs will be placed along the highways leading to the host cities throughout the duration of the Tournament.

Indiana 130 will be undergoing a series of intersection improvements between Hobart and Valparaiso. The first will involve the stretch between Porter County Roads 475 and 500. Both county roads serve as a connection between US 6 and US 30 and see steady traffic throughout the day, with Indiana 130 serving as the go-between. Instead of "runaround lanes"  at the intersections, Indiana 130 will be refitted at both intersections with dedicated left and right turn lanes while through traffic will be allowed to go through unimpeded. Preliminary work has already started, and work is expected to be completed in the fall. The same scope of work will take place at the intersection with Indiana 149 about 2.5 miles southeast.

Utility work is continuing in advance of the US 12/20 realignment project set to begin this summer. As the new US 12/20 routing continues, power lines along the South Shore Line will be shifted to make room for the new track set to be laid down in the near future. Through traffic may want to consider using I-80/94 to Indiana 51 (via I-65) during peak construction.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

JoePCool14

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 03, 2021, 10:29:05 PM
A fun note:

To celebrate this year's March Madness tournament taking place entirely in Indiana (specifically, West Lafayette, Indianapolis, Bloomington, and Evansville), crews have placed specialized signing along the interstates near the area (I-70, for example, has a customized shield with the nickname "Hoosier Hoops Highway"  placed on top of it). These signs will be placed along the highways leading to the host cities throughout the duration of the Tournament.

Are there any pictures of these available? If the shields are different, that actually sounds pretty cool.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

bmeiser

JoePCool14

Quote from: bmeiser on March 04, 2021, 10:08:59 AM
There's a couple in their recent email: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/2c41519

Thanks, I like the look of the shield, and Hoosier Hoops Highway just rolls off the tongue too well.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

rawmustard

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on January 19, 2021, 10:04:25 PM
Nothing of major importance to report, but during a recent drive on the Indiana Toll Road, I noticed some pretty cool implementations across the stretch from the Cline Avenue east ramp to the I-94 interchange. I do not know if the features extend to the Illinois state line or go beyond the Portage barrier, but here's what I saw:

At various points, there are new overhead VMS's that include the general messages (no road rages, protect construction workers, hands free, etc.); however, if any special events or construction takes place, the signs include variable speed limit signs that activate based on the situation or what lies ahead.

I saw a few of these gantries between Laporte and South Bend last night, so I would think they're along the entire system.

tdindy88

I saw a few of those Hoosier Hoops Highway shields last night driving to work along I-65 and I-70. Honestly they're a little hard to see a night so they are certainly not reflective. They have them up on some of the light posts following various interchanges so they're also a little more to the side of the highway than a standard interstate shield. But the shields are of course temporary so whatever.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.