News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 04, 2021, 07:34:36 PM
I saw a few of those Hoosier Hoops Highway shields last night driving to work along I-65 and I-70. Honestly they're a little hard to see a night so they are certainly not reflective. They have them up on some of the light posts following various interchanges so they're also a little more to the side of the highway than a standard interstate shield. But the shields are of course temporary so whatever.

Makes me wonder if they'd consider selling them after the tournament.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

pianocello

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 03, 2021, 10:29:05 PM
Indiana 130 will be undergoing a series of intersection improvements between Hobart and Valparaiso. The first will involve the stretch between Porter County Roads 475 and 500. Both county roads serve as a connection between US 6 and US 30 and see steady traffic throughout the day, with Indiana 130 serving as the go-between. Instead of "runaround lanes"  at the intersections, Indiana 130 will be refitted at both intersections with dedicated left and right turn lanes while through traffic will be allowed to go through unimpeded. Preliminary work has already started, and work is expected to be completed in the fall.

Thank the Lord. This has been needed for years. Keeping the westbound "runaround lane" at the intersection with 475W when they installed the signal was a dumb decision, IMO.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

theline

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 03, 2021, 10:29:05 PM
To celebrate this year's March Madness tournament taking place entirely in Indiana (specifically, West Lafayette, Indianapolis, Bloomington, and Evansville), crews have placed specialized signing along the interstates near the area (I-70, for example, has a customized shield with the nickname "Hoosier Hoops Highway"  placed on top of it). These signs will be placed along the highways leading to the host cities throughout the duration of the Tournament.

INDOT says in their posting that some tourney games will be played in Evansville, but I can't find confirmation of that anywhere. Everything I see online indicates all NCAA games will be at West Lafayette, Bloomington, or Indy. The Big Ten and Horizon League events are scheduled for Indy as well. I wondered about the Valley tourney, since UE is in that conference, but it looks like that one is in St. Louis as usual. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

ibthebigd

Evansville is hosting the NCAA Division 2 Championship. Fort Wayne was supposed to host the Division 3 championship but not enough schools are participating to have a championship.

SM-G950U

theline

Quote from: ibthebigd on March 06, 2021, 06:04:57 AM
Evansville is hosting the NCAA Division 2 Championship. Fort Wayne was supposed to host the Division 3 championship but not enough schools are participating to have a championship.

SM-G950U
Boy, is my face red. I didn't even think of the D-II tourney even though my daughter is head athletic trainer at one of the (possibly) participating schools. Thanks for the info.

I-55

Quote from: ibthebigd on March 06, 2021, 06:04:57 AM

SM-G950U

Fort Wayne was also supposed to host a DI Women's Regional last year but that got canceled.

ibthebigd

The Ohio Valley Conference hosted there Championship at the Ford Center in Evansville.

SM-G950U

Great Lakes Roads

A major safety project is coming this year to a major/busy interchange in Fort Wayne at the I-69/Illinois Road (SR 14). Two of the loop ramps (I-69 SB to East Illinois Road and I-69 NB to West SR 14/Illinois Road) will be permanently removed/eliminated. Instead, there will be a new traffic light on the offramps as well as new turn lanes.

https://www.wane.com/traffic/overhaul-of-i-69-illinois-road-interchange-planned/

https://www.in.gov/indot/files/Improvement%20Map.pdf

I-55

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 19, 2021, 04:40:32 PM
A major safety project is coming this year to a major/busy interchange in Fort Wayne at the I-69/Illinois Road (SR 14). Two of the loop ramps (I-69 SB to East Illinois Road and I-69 NB to West SR 14/Illinois Road) will be permanently removed/eliminated. Instead, there will be a new traffic light on the offramps as well as new turn lanes.

https://www.wane.com/traffic/overhaul-of-i-69-illinois-road-interchange-planned/

https://www.in.gov/indot/files/Improvement%20Map.pdf

Yay: the cloverleaf always seemed overbuilt, and getting from NB 69 to the left turn to get into Menards was always difficult if not impossible.

Nay: no more flying through that interchange eastbound at 55-60. unfortunately this doesn't fix the problem of people merging onto NB I-69 from WB Illinois Rd at 35 mph, but nothing ever will.

Great Lakes Roads

Another season of construction is underway, and the Indiana Toll Road started yesterday on "Push 3.0" from MP 93 (east of Elkhart's exit 92) to MP 123 (2 miles east of Middlebury's exit 121). Work includes new pavement, rehabilitated bridges, and improved technologies along this stretch of corridor. Reith-Riley is closing one lane in each direction in five-six miles increments for a 24/7 operation.

https://www.facebook.com/INDIANATOLLROAD/photos/a.10150551014516446/10158092934501446/

silverback1065

on i-65 in whitestown there is a huge project underway. SR 267 interchange will become a double reverse style interchange. A new double reverse interchange will be added at i-65 and County Road 550, and it looks to be complete, minor fixes to Whitestown parkway and 865 interchanges. All new signs, and the new signs for the 865 interchange will include us 52 shields! Also they will have Whitestown Parkway as the name of exit 130 instead of the generic one thats out there now. No idea when this will be fully complete, but it's pretty far along now!

silverback1065

not having 74 inside 465 makes sense. neither direction it comes from has any major suburbs. even now noone really uses 74 west out to Illinois. if you brought in 74 on the east side it would have destroyed most of downtown in that area for no real reason.

JoePCool14

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 30, 2021, 11:55:31 AM
on i-65 in whitestown there is a huge project underway. SR 267 interchange will become a double reverse style interchange. A new double reverse interchange will be added at i-65 and County Road 550, and it looks to be complete, minor fixes to Whitestown parkway and 865 interchanges. All new signs, and the new signs for the 865 interchange will include us 52 shields! Also they will have Whitestown Parkway as the name of exit 130 instead of the generic one thats out there now. No idea when this will be fully complete, but it's pretty far along now!

Not surprised about that rebuild. The Whitestown area has seen incredible growth over the past few years.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

silverback1065

Eventually Ronald Reagan parkway will tie into 267 just south of 65, no idea where but that's the plan.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 30, 2021, 02:40:30 PM
Eventually Ronald Reagan parkway will tie into 267 just south of 65, no idea where but that's the plan.

It all depends on if/when Boone County decides to do their part. It could connect via 267 or it could connect via Whitestown Pkwy.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hobsini2

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 30, 2021, 01:32:55 PM

Not surprised about that rebuild. The Whitestown area has seen incredible growth over the past few years.
Any plans for I-65 having a new interchange with 86th or 82nd St? Just seems that area could use one between 865 and 71st St.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

CtrlAltDel

Just in case others were confused like I was, the term in bold is also referred to as a DDI.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

silverback1065

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 30, 2021, 05:16:16 PM

Just in case others were confused like I was, the term in bold is also referred to as a DDI.

I intentionally said it that way. I think DDI is a stupid name  :-D. Also I doubt there would be any exits at 82nd or 86th. people would throw a fit. They tried to place one at 865 and Cooper Rd and the people in the area lost their minds.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 30, 2021, 05:19:57 PM

I intentionally said it that way. I think DDI is a stupid name  :-D.

Fair enough, although, if I were to make up my own term for it, I'd go with double crossover.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hobsini2

I intentionally said it that way. I think DDI is a stupid name  :-D. Also I doubt there would be any exits at 82nd or 86th. people would throw a fit. They tried to place one at 865 and Cooper Rd and the people in the area lost their minds.
Cooper Rd would be a great spot for an interchange to serve that area. Some people. Right?
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

silverback1065

It was zionsville residents worried that the "rural character" of their community would go away. Why anyone would expect an area that close to a major city would stay rural mystifies me. If you want "rural character" move to tipton

Pixel 5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 30, 2021, 05:37:48 PM

Cooper Rd would be a great spot for an interchange to serve that area. Some people. Right?

Why would an interchange at Cooper Rd be necessary? Traffic from the N and W has Whitestown Pkwy (former IN 334), traffic from the E has US 421, and traffic from the S isn't going to use 865 at all. Seems like putting an interchange somewhere just to have one.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

skluth

Do you also call interstate highways by another name if they don't actually go from one state to another? Making up a stupid (and it is stupid) name to replace the standard name wastes everyone's time and just pisses people off. If that was your goal, you succeeded. Congrats on giving me a reason to ignore every future post you make.

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 30, 2021, 06:29:02 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 30, 2021, 05:37:48 PM

Why would an interchange at Cooper Rd be necessary? Traffic from the N and W has Whitestown Pkwy (former IN 334), traffic from the E has US 421, and traffic from the S isn't going to use 865 at all. Seems like putting an interchange somewhere just to have one.
It was an idea to help the whitestown parkway interchange. That interchange is overloaded during rush hour and it was an idea to help with that

Pixel 5

silverback1065

Quote from: skluth on March 30, 2021, 06:48:57 PM

Do you also call interstate highways by another name if they don't actually go from one state to another? Making up a stupid (and it is stupid) name to replace the standard name wastes everyone's time and just pisses people off. If that was your goal, you succeeded. Congrats on giving me a reason to ignore every future post you make.
So does posting irrelevant and ignorant statements help? Anyway, I'll continue posting useful information to this group. I think it's best we ignore your posts as well.

Pixel 5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.