News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 30, 2021, 06:29:02 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on March 30, 2021, 05:37:48 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on March 30, 2021, 05:19:57 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 30, 2021, 05:16:16 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on March 30, 2021, 11:55:31 AM
on i-65 in whitestown there is a huge project underway. SR 267 interchange will become a double reverse style interchange. A new double reverse interchange will be added at i-65 and County Road 550, and it looks to be complete, minor fixes to Whitestown parkway and 865 interchanges. All new signs, and the new signs for the 865 interchange will include us 52 shields! Also they will have Whitestown Parkway as the name of exit 130 instead of the generic one thats out there now. No idea when this will be fully complete, but it's pretty far along now!

Just in case others were confused like I was, the term in bold is also referred to as a DDI.

I intentionally said it that way. I think DDI is a stupid name  :-D. Also I doubt there would be any exits at 82nd or 86th. people would throw a fit. They tried to place one at 865 and Cooper Rd and the people in the area lost their minds.
Cooper Rd would be a great spot for an interchange to serve that area. Some people. Right?

Why would an interchange at Cooper Rd be necessary? Traffic from the N and W has Whitestown Pkwy (former IN 334), traffic from the E has US 421, and traffic from the S isn't going to use 865 at all. Seems like putting an interchange somewhere just to have one.
Honestly though i think this project will actually make that idea irrelevant. I remember looking at a map of the 550 interchange and they plan on curving the road to the north for some reason (east of 65), rather than continuing it east west.

SkyPesos

With speed limits in the Indianapolis area, is there a reason why ALL of I-465 is 55 mph? I know there are some substandard sections on the southern loop that can stay as 55 mph, but surely some other portions of the beltway can be designated at 65 mph.

I-55

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2021, 11:41:44 PM
With speed limits in the Indianapolis area, is there a reason why ALL of I-465 is 55 mph? I know there are some substandard sections on the southern loop that can stay as 55 mph, but surely some other portions of the beltway can be designated at 65 mph.

I would designate 65 on everything north of I-70 except near I-865 (which should be updated to allow for a continuous 65 zone)
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

silverback1065

State Law says it has to be 55 in urban areas. INDOT's hands are tied. a study was done by Indystar and found 97% of people go over 55  :-D.

skluth

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 31, 2021, 09:34:22 AM

State Law says it has to be 55 in urban areas. INDOT's hands are tied. a study was done by Indystar and found 97% of people go over 55  :-D.
It sounds like every other urban interstate where the de facto speed limit is never 55.

I-55

Quote from: skluth on March 31, 2021, 12:01:47 PM

It sounds like every other urban interstate where the de facto speed limit is never 55.

It sounds like state law needs revised. My proposal:

Interstates/Non interstate freeways: 70/65 rural, 65 urban
4 lane divided: 65 rural

This allows limits to be increased where necessary but they don't have to. 75 mph isn't happening in Indiana anytime soon though I wouldn't mind. I know there are several segments of road that need higher speeds and several that are fine as is. I know we've had this discussion before but as long as a bulk of traffic is going 80 in a 60 this discussion is far from over.

silverback1065

Quote from: I-55 on March 31, 2021, 12:23:04 PM

This allows limits to be increased where necessary but they don't have to. 75 mph isn't happening in Indiana anytime soon though I wouldn't mind. I know there are several segments of road that need higher speeds and several that are fine as is. I know we've had this discussion before but as long as a bulk of traffic is going 80 in a 60 this discussion is far from over.

honestly the law should be repealed for state roads and the authority given to INDOT, they would know how to properly do it, not the state legislature.

SkyPesos

With the exception of the 65 mph truck limit, that sounds similar to what Ohio have currently, which works.

Life in Paradise

I'd like to know how they got around this for Evansville I-164 (now I-69) is at 60 MPH and this area is just as urban if not more so that most of I-64 going into Louisville from the New Albany side and it is set at 55 MPH with lots of troopers to enforce it.

JoePCool14

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 30, 2021, 05:44:22 PM
It was zionsville residents worried that the "rural character" of their community would go away. Why anyone would expect an area that close to a major city would stay rural mystifies me. If you want "rural character" move to tipton

cc: Residents of Long Grove, IL

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

I-55

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 31, 2021, 12:36:06 PM

With the exception of the 65 mph truck limit, that sounds similar to what Ohio have currently, which works.

In general, it's the same except in NW Ohio. Ohio's rural 4 lane speed limit varies by region. In the NW corner of the state, its usually 65 but US-30 and US-33 are 70 for their 4 lane segments. In Appalachian Ohio, the limit is usually 60 and sometimes just 55. If there's a magic boundary I'd say its I-70 and I-71 west/north of Columbus.

silverback1065

the new 469/24 interchange is showing up on google maps.

silverback1065

jhuntin1

What about the section from I-70 to Mooresville? Is that still around, or at least the part in Morgan County?

silverback1065

Decommissioned years ago

Pixel 5

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 01, 2021, 09:26:56 PM
https://wyrz.org/indot-enters-agreement-with-the-town-of-plainfield-and-hendricks-county-for-relinquishment-of-sr-267/

SR 267 is no more. The only section left is from 74 to 65.

Even that segment won't last long - that's planned to become part of Ronald Reagan Parkway in the coming years. Sad to see it go.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

SkyPesos

I went to Lafayette yesterday and noticed some things with its roads.

- Is 8-10k AADT with tons of truck traffic enough to warrant a 4 lane road? This is what I see with the 2 lane portions of Veterans Memorial Pkwy on the way to the Purdue campus, along with tons of distribution centers on the road. The portion between 9th St and Sagamore is 4 laned already though, which is a good portion of it. Would be a nice to have if the remaining 2 lane sections gets 4 laned, as that will complete the all 4-lane road access from I-65 exit 168 to the Purdue campus.

- What is US 52's routing through the area even? I thought it would use Sagamore the entire way to US 231 (as it's yellow on Google Maps), but that guess was incorrect as US 52 was concurrent with US 231 along the west side of Lafayette/West Lafayette. My second guess was that it would turn onto Veterans Memorial Pkwy to get to US 231 (since it looks like InDOT wants to turn over city streets to local control and that Veterans Memorial is a shorter routing), but that guess was wrong too.

- I would go more with the IN 25 and 26 gaps, but state route gaps are so common in Indiana that I'm not going to bother with it.

silverback1065

US 52 followed sagamore the whole way until they opened the bypass. Now 52 takes a dumb routing on teal road to get to 231 then follows 231 up to where the bypass ends.

Pixel 5

NWI_Irish96

Veterans Memorial Parkway in Tippecanoe County falls into the same category as CR 17 in Elkhart County as a county road that got improved to the point that it carries traffic like a state highway, but the state really doesn't take over roads from counties.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: I-55 on March 31, 2021, 12:58:26 PM

In general, it's the same except in NW Ohio. Ohio's rural 4 lane speed limit varies by region. In the NW corner of the state, its usually 65 but US-30 and US-33 are 70 for their 4 lane segments. In Appalachian Ohio, the limit is usually 60 and sometimes just 55. If there's a magic boundary I'd say its I-70 and I-71 west/north of Columbus.

Except US 33 is 70 MPH around Lancaster and from Logan to Athens. The sections that have intersections is signed for 60 MPH.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

I-55

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 06, 2021, 01:27:09 PM
Quote from: I-55 on March 31, 2021, 12:58:26 PM

Except US 33 is 70 MPH around Lancaster and from Logan to Athens. The sections that have intersections is signed for 60 MPH.

I should've clarified that I was referring to 4 lane NOT meeting interstate standards, because I am well aware of 33, 35, and OH-823 having 70 mph limits on fully controlled access freeways, but 60 mph otherwise.

ibthebigd

I-55

Quote from: ibthebigd on April 07, 2021, 06:34:06 PM
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/transportation/2021/04/06/indianapolis-traffic-i-465-variable-speed-limits-planned-indot/6552584002/

Variable Speed Limits on I-465.

SM-G950U

So instead of going 70 in a 55 we'll now be going 70 in a 40. The variable speed limit should be for making the speed limit go UP instead of DOWN. Fast drivers aren't going to slow down for these, but slow drivers will speed up if the limit goes up. The idea was to reduce speed variance but I honestly think it will have a reverse effect. We all know the speed limit is far below traffic speed on this road. Heck, we were just recently talking about INCREASING the limit north of I-70

Oh, doesn't this just sound like CHEAP WAY OUT????
If you're worried about congestion, WIDEN IT!!!!

SkyPesos

I saw a Facebook video of an Indianapolis local news reporter driving 55 mph on I-465, and it looked borderline dangerous with all the other cars around driving at >70 mph. Speed limits should be going up (to at least 65 mph), not down.

silverback1065

ramp meters are coming as well on 465, for some reason the SE part will get them instead of the north side. Also noone ever went 55 and they'll continue to never go 55. I go 70 and still feel like I'm the slow guy  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.