News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: I-55 on December 13, 2022, 01:18:47 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on December 12, 2022, 12:45:17 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 12, 2022, 10:57:22 AM
26 and 25 were both supposed to be routed around lafayette continously using Teal Road and SR 38. there was a newspaper article showing it. For some reason INDOT didnt end up doing it and just signed the highway they had to keep continuous US 52.

About 15 years ago they did have 25 run down 38 to 65, with the BGSs modified to include 25 at Exit 168 and a small sign saying "For 25 North use Exit 175".  That only lasted a couple years and then was changed to the gap in 25, which makes no sense. 

If they had planned ahead better, they could have run 52 across CR 350S (now Veterans Memorial) to the "new" 231 or something instead of using Teal Road.  25 years ago, 350S was out in the sticks; I could ride my bike on it and only see a few cars.  The sprawl out to there has been amazing, but it still would have been a more capable road than Teal to get 52 over to 231.

If West Lafayette wanted thru traffic out by removing 26, it worked...it is brutal taking State Street through town most of the time anymore.  Although using Harrison/Williams/Tapawingo to get around it isn't always as bad.

US 52 only follows Teal because it was always under state maintenance. When the time came to move 52 over to 231 INDOT just kept what they had and changed the signs. Had Teal not been a state route I think there's no question it gets routed on Veterans. INDOT is also rebuilding 52 almost completely from 231 to Sagamore, adding more city friendly elements (curbs, sidewalks, updated traffic signals).

Harrison/Williams/Tapawingo is my preferred route since (on campus alone) I usually get stopped at 3+ lights for pedestrians to cross (either 13 or 20 second timers). Purdue really wanted 26 turned over so they could diet it and add bike and pedestrian paths. Besides, who wants a 4 lane undivided state route bisecting campus? INDOT of course is always happy to shed inventory resulting in a mutual benefit to both parties.

INDOT is doing this as part of the maintenance agreement for giving away sagamore. originally 52 was to stay as it was back then. for some reason INDOT changed their minds and gave it away. They plan on redoing the 4th and Teal intersection and reconstruct Teal from there to sagamore. saw it in the news a few years ago.

PurdueBill

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 13, 2022, 01:52:58 PM
Quote from: I-55 on December 13, 2022, 01:18:47 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 12, 2022, 10:57:22 AM
26 and 25 were both supposed to be routed around lafayette continously using Teal Road and SR 38. there was a newspaper article showing it. For some reason INDOT didnt end up doing it and just signed the highway they had to keep continuous US 52.

About 15 years ago they did have 25 run down 38 to 65, with the BGSs modified to include 25 at Exit 168 and a small sign saying "For 25 North use Exit 175".  That only lasted a couple years and then was changed to the gap in 25, which makes no sense. 

If they had planned ahead better, they could have run 52 across CR 350S (now Veterans Memorial) to the "new" 231 or something instead of using Teal Road.  25 years ago, 350S was out in the sticks; I could ride my bike on it and only see a few cars.  The sprawl out to there has been amazing, but it still would have been a more capable road than Teal to get 52 over to 231.

If West Lafayette wanted thru traffic out by removing 26, it worked...it is brutal taking State Street through town most of the time anymore.  Although using Harrison/Williams/Tapawingo to get around it isn't always as bad.

US 52 only follows Teal because it was always under state maintenance. When the time came to move 52 over to 231 INDOT just kept what they had and changed the signs. Had Teal not been a state route I think there's no question it gets routed on Veterans. INDOT is also rebuilding 52 almost completely from 231 to Sagamore, adding more city friendly elements (curbs, sidewalks, updated traffic signals).

Harrison/Williams/Tapawingo is my preferred route since (on campus alone) I usually get stopped at 3+ lights for pedestrians to cross (either 13 or 20 second timers). Purdue really wanted 26 turned over so they could diet it and add bike and pedestrian paths. Besides, who wants a 4 lane undivided state route bisecting campus? INDOT of course is always happy to shed inventory resulting in a mutual benefit to both parties.

INDOT is doing this as part of the maintenance agreement for giving away sagamore. originally 52 was to stay as it was back then. for some reason INDOT changed their minds and gave it away. They plan on redoing the 4th and Teal intersection and reconstruct Teal from there to sagamore. saw it in the news a few years ago.

Reconstructed or not, it won't help Teal going right by the fairgrounds, Jeff High School, the commercial strip, etc.  and the way that going westbound, you go back somewhat to the south and then northward again.  INDOT's weird thing with handing back roads sometimes doesn't always make a lot of sense.
They resurfaced Cherry Lane (former SR 126) before handing it over to West Lafayette but did a crappy job--I'm surprised the city didn't make them come back and redo it.  Of course, West Lafayette has been all too happy to take down INDOT's signals and poles in order to have fancier ones.  South Bend took INDOT's leftovers and painted them black and they look fine!

monty

Saw additional signage on US 31 northbound tonight at SR 28 with the notice of no through trucks through Tipton. Observed Truck 28 East signs NB and SB on US 31 guiding east on Division Road.

No SR 28 shields on US 31 between SR 28 & SR 26. Official routing for SR 28 east of US 31 is on SR 26 east and then south on SR 19 to Tipton. I suspect the SR28 relocation signs are all erected but just my guess. SR 28 signs erected at the JCT of SR 19 & SR 26.  No additional SR 28 shields on the new route along SR 26 or SR 19 either (outside the junctions).

Thus, for now, SR 28 is not signed as a continuous route, but in reality, the directionals are the shortest and best routes to the east side of Tipton if you're driving a truck.
monty

westerninterloper

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 12, 2022, 08:33:30 PM
https://revivei70.com/

20+ miles widening project on I-70 in Wayne County to begin construction in late 2024.

Improvements include:
One lane added in each direction between Cambridge City and Richmond for a total of three travel lanes in each direction (new lanes added to existing grass median)

Two key interchanges (I-70 and US 40 interchange and the I-70 and US 35/Williamsburg Pike interchange) modified to improve safety and mobility

All 40 bridges in the project area widened to accommodate additional travel lanes

Additional bridge improvements including complete replacements, deck replacements, deck overlays and painting

Hallelujah for this. That stretch of I-70 is old, narrow and dangerous. Is this the start of a 6-lane rebuild of I-70 across Indiana?
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: westerninterloper on December 14, 2022, 08:31:25 PM

20+ miles widening project on I-70 in Wayne County to begin construction in late 2024.

Improvements include:
One lane added in each direction between Cambridge City and Richmond for a total of three travel lanes in each direction (new lanes added to existing grass median)

Two key interchanges (I-70 and US 40 interchange and the I-70 and US 35/Williamsburg Pike interchange) modified to improve safety and mobility

All 40 bridges in the project area widened to accommodate additional travel lanes

Additional bridge improvements including complete replacements, deck replacements, deck overlays and painting

Hallelujah for this. That stretch of I-70 is old, narrow and dangerous. Is this the start of a 6-lane rebuild of I-70 across Indiana?

Yes, but it's going to be a slow process... the only section that is currently being widened as of right now is the stretch in Hancock County (between Mt. Comfort Road (Exit 96) to east of SR 9 in Greenfield (Exit 104)). The only other section on I-70 that is planned/funded to be widened in a few years is the stretch west of Indy in Hendricks County (between Quaker Boulevard (Exit 66) and west of SR 39 (Exit 59)).

silverback1065

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 14, 2022, 11:35:04 PM
Quote from: westerninterloper on December 14, 2022, 08:31:25 PM

Improvements include:

Yes, but it's going to be a slow process... the only section that is currently being widened as of right now is the stretch in Hancock County (between Mt. Comfort Road (Exit 96) to east of SR 9 in Greenfield (Exit 104)). The only other section on I-70 that is planned/funded to be widened in a few years is the stretch west of Indy in Hendricks County (between Quaker Boulevard (Exit 66) and west of SR 39 (Exit 59)).

this project will widen 70 from SR 1 to the state line right?

SkyPesos

...State Street....
Mitch Daniels Boulevard* :bigass:

dw, I dislike the new name too.

silverback1065

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 20, 2022, 07:02:28 AM
...State Street....

hey he was a great president for purdue!

NWI_Irish96

As of 1pm ET/Noon CT, the follow counties were under travel warnings: LaPorte, Miami, Wabash, Huntington, Wells, Adams, Tipton, Grant, Blackford, Jay, Randolph, Henry, Rush, Union and Jennings.

North-South roads are bad statewide. In NW Indiana, numerous accidents on both I-65 and I-94 have various sections of each road shut down.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 20, 2022, 08:40:19 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on December 20, 2022, 07:02:28 AM
...State Street....

hey he was a great president for purdue!
Yes, he was, IF you like the Koch Brothers' takeover (and dumbing down) of higher education. But I digress into politics.

Personally, I have a problem with renaming ANY street, road, highway, or freeway for a still-living person. I believe it should be FUTURE generations who honor the truly worthy with such designations, not current ones, as those decisions more often than not end up being politically motivated. Not saying they couldn't be in the future, but it's much less likely once sufficient time has passed.

BTW, prime example, is that ridiculous "Interstate" 99 in PA still named after Bud Schuster? If so, why?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 23, 2022, 01:42:00 PM
As of 1pm ET/Noon CT, the follow counties were under travel warnings: LaPorte, Miami, Wabash, Huntington, Wells, Adams, Tipton, Grant, Blackford, Jay, Randolph, Henry, Rush, Union and Jennings.

North-South roads are bad statewide. In NW Indiana, numerous accidents on both I-65 and I-94 have various sections of each road shut down.

8pm ET/7pm CT updated list:

Jasper, LaPorte, St Joseph, Starke, Puaski, White
Lagrange
Miami, Wabash, Huntington, Wells, Adams, Tipton, Grant, Blackford, Jay, Delaware, Randolph, Henry, Rush, Union, Decatur, Franklin, Jennings

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/96FGt5Eod9hVAkDp6
I am noticing that US 35 gets notoriety here even though it begins at a later point on US 20.

I'm guessing IN 212 was once an extension of US 35 when it ended at US 12 and the signs here aren't updated.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: roadman65 on January 04, 2023, 12:45:07 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/96FGt5Eod9hVAkDp6
I am noticing that US 35 gets notoriety here even though it begins at a later point on US 20.

I'm guessing IN 212 was once an extension of US 35 when it ended at US 12 and the signs here aren't updated.

That was never US 35. It followed Michigan Ave to US 12.

roadman65

So basically it relinquished control of the US route to the city north of US 20.

I'm guessing US 421 once intersected US 12 as well.

I see in the GSV images that US 35 SB shields were formally present here to support the fact Michigan Blvd once was.

https://goo.gl/maps/UJ7QwH5SAKYhqAGo8

https://goo.gl/maps/JUdGTzALxpS6mrYu6
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

silverback1065

Quote from: roadman65 on January 04, 2023, 12:56:38 PM
So basically it relinquished control of the US route to the city north of US 20.

I'm guessing US 421 once intersected US 12 as well.

I see in the GSV images that US 35 SB shields were formally present here to support the fact Michigan Blvd once was.

https://goo.gl/maps/UJ7QwH5SAKYhqAGo8

https://goo.gl/maps/JUdGTzALxpS6mrYu6

you are correct, both us 421 and 35 once went to us 12. It would have been interesting for them to instead reroute 35 onto 212 up to 12.

nwi_navigator_1181

US 35 has been truncated even further. The new terminus is at the junction with US 20 just east of the I-94 interchange.

The "US 35 NORTH"  portion of the Michigan City exit signs have been greened out on both directions of I-94, something I immediately noticed when I came back from New Buffalo just before Christmas.

Also, an "END US 35"  sign is at the US 20 intersection to further bring the point home.

I don't know if they greened out all US 35 references at the Indiana 212/US 20 exchange, but US 35 no longer reaches Michigan City.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on January 04, 2023, 08:39:53 PM
US 35 has been truncated even further. The new terminus is at the junction with US 20 just east of the I-94 interchange.

The "US 35 NORTH"  portion of the Michigan City exit signs have been greened out on both directions of I-94, something I immediately noticed when I came back from New Buffalo just before Christmas.

Also, an "END US 35"  sign is at the US 20 intersection to further bring the point home.

I don't know if they greened out all US 35 references at the Indiana 212/US 20 exchange, but US 35 no longer reaches Michigan City.

so this is out of date?  :hmmm: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6887959,-86.812432,3a,25y,44.19h,93.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAT4MfgfHEbilL8-x70_1lA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

zzcarp

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 05, 2023, 08:10:35 AM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on January 04, 2023, 08:39:53 PM

so this is out of date?  :hmmm: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6887959,-86.812432,3a,25y,44.19h,93.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAT4MfgfHEbilL8-x70_1lA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

No. It's just a guide sign as US 35 begins at the very next intersection east of the I-94 interchange with US 20.
So many miles and so many roads

sprjus4

QuoteU.S. highways

A separate speed limit bill in the House would increase the speed limit on certain U.S. highways in the state.

Sponsored by Rep. Dave Heine, R-Fort Wayne, the bill would increase the speed limit on stretches of U.S. 24, 25, and 30 from 55 mph to 70 mph. As written, the change would apply to cars and large trucks.

Affected stretches of highway:

U.S. 24 between Huntington and Logansport.
U.S. 25 between Lafayette and Logansport.
U.S. 24 from the Ohio border to the Interstate 469 interchange.
U.S. 30 from the Ohio border to the Interstate 469 interchange.
Heine's bill, HB1077, is in the House Roads and Transportation Committee.

https://landline.media/indiana-bill-would-eliminate-speed-limit-differential/

While I'm not opposed to increasing the speed on non-limited-access highways to 70 mph, this is definitely bias to Fort Wayne.

All of those highways feed into and out of Fort Wayne. What about other four lane highways in the state that can easily handle a 70 mph speed limit? In addition, reading the bill, it adds a specific provision for these highways to be 70 mph. But freeway portions of routes such as US-31 are still limited at 65 mph.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 12, 2023, 10:21:16 AM
QuoteU.S. highways

A separate speed limit bill in the House would increase the speed limit on certain U.S. highways in the state.

Sponsored by Rep. Dave Heine, R-Fort Wayne, the bill would increase the speed limit on stretches of U.S. 24, 25, and 30 from 55 mph to 70 mph. As written, the change would apply to cars and large trucks.

While I'm not opposed to increasing the speed on non-limited-access highways to 70 mph, this is definitely bias to Fort Wayne.

All of those highways feed into and out of Fort Wayne. What about other four lane highways in the state that can easily handle a 70 mph speed limit? In addition, reading the bill, it adds a specific provision for these highways to be 70 mph. But freeway portions of routes such as US-31 are still limited at 65 mph.

I wouldn't be surprised for there to be amendments to that bill adding more highways if the bill gets any traction at all.

Kniwt

The Tribune-Star in Terre Haute reports on INDOT's plans to rebuild the I-74 / IN 63 interchange.
https://www.tribstar.com/news/indot-sets-indiana-63-public-hearing-for-jan-25/article_ddbf1858-9293-11ed-9f8a-f3101a8d4308.html

QuoteThe Indiana Department of Transportation will hold a public hearing Jan. 25 the American Legion, 922 W. Ferry Street, Cayuga. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.; a formal presentation begins at 6 p.m.

This hearing will focus on improving safety and reducing the number of crashes on a segment of Indiana 63 near the Beef House Restaurant & Dinner Theater and the intersection of East County Road 1650N  in Highland Township.

The proposed, preferred alternative is to construct a new reduced conflict intersection (median opening) Indiana 63 about 390 ft. north of the gas station drive to the truck plaza.

This would eliminate the existing median opening across from the north gas station drive. This project would also extend and raise the splitter islands at 1650 North.

New pavement markings, advanced street directional signs, and upgraded lighting will also be installed, along with one stormwater pipe in the grass median at the north end of the project limits.

thefarmerchris

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 12, 2023, 12:27:55 PM
QuoteU.S. highways

I wouldn't be surprised for there to be amendments to that bill adding more highways if the bill gets any traction at all.

The 4 highways listed already average around 70 mph on those stretches. I do agree though, there are more stretches around the state that could benefit. US30 west of Ft. Wayne could easily go up to 65 or 70. 70 for sure west of Warsaw to Valpo.

sprjus4

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 12, 2023, 12:27:55 PM
QuoteU.S. highways

I agree. I feel like at least all freeways should be permitted for 70 mph.

It sort of reminds me of Virginia's 60 mph on non-limited-access highways law that specifies segments of highway. It has similarly been significantly expanded upon since its inception to include more segments.

silverback1065

I'm not sure law makers know anything about speed limits. leave that to the engineers and traffic engineers  :-D

zzcarp

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 12, 2023, 03:11:01 PM
I'm not sure law makers know anything about speed limits. leave that to the engineers and traffic engineers  :-D

They probably don't, but when maximum speed limits are written into law, it is a political matter. Engineers, especially government employees, aren't going to push the envelope against a statute.
So many miles and so many roads

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.