News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on January 13, 2014, 02:45:56 PM
This past Saturday night, Cline Avenue (Indiana 912) closed between I-80/94 and Columbus Drive because of excess potholes. It opened again this morning in time for commutes, but drivers are still reporting pothole problems. Be careful if you're using that road in the coming days.

That's something I've noticed all over the region for the past few days.  There's a shitload of potholes out there.  I missed more than a few just on my way to work this morning, and several of them looked pretty nasty.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

theline

I've been dodging potholes in South Bend, and the TV news tonight showed crews out doing temporary repairs. There was plenty of moisture in the pavement cracks when the polar vortex hit last week. The freezing water pulverized a lot of pavement. Be careful out there!

tdindy88

I-69 north of Exit 205 (SR 37) is going to be widened to six lanes by the end of 2016 or beginning of 2017. The stretch covers I-69 from SR 37 all the way to Exit 218 (SR 38) in Pendleton. I'm sure most here will be happy to hear this news as that has become a busy stretch of highway. I was actually just expecting it to be widened to Exit 210, but 18 miles of a six-lane or higher I-69 isn't a bad deal. Now if we can get that pushed up to Anderson we be all good. I wonder if a widening of I-65 to the south of Greenwood isn't too far behind?

http://wishtv.com/2014/02/10/plans-in-the-works-to-add-lanes-to-interstate-69/

NWI_Irish96

I-65 needs six lanes the entire stretch between Greenwood and Sellersburg.  You can and will get stuck behind a backlog of truck traffic at any point in between.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 11, 2014, 09:10:55 AM
I-65 needs six lanes the entire stretch between Greenwood and Sellersburg.  You can and will get stuck behind a backlog of truck traffic at any point in between.

That can wait until they 6 lane it from Indy to Gary

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 11, 2014, 11:40:58 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on February 11, 2014, 09:10:55 AM

That can wait until they 6 lane it from Indy to Gary

I drive 65 a lot, more south of Indy than north, but I get slowed down by truck traffic much more frequently south of Indy than north.  Maybe the northern section has higher overall traffic counts, but the southern section certainly seems to have more truck traffic.  On the northern section I set my cruise at 79 and am getting passed by a lot of cars.  On the southern section, I'm lucky to be able to go over 75 for more than half the trip.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Revive 755

I'll third the motion that I-65 should be widened south of Indy first.  Granted I've rarely driven I-65 across Indiana, but the last time the Louisville to I-465 section seemed to have more traffic and more difficulties passing.

The northern section also already has a partial alternative via I-74 and US 41; there does not appear to be an option south of Indy.

thefro

http://www.ibj.com/state-wants-early-access-to-long-term-transportation-fund/PARAMS/article/46164

QuoteThe Indiana Department of Transportation on Thursday asked the state Senate Appropriations Committee to approve the release of $400 million saved in a special trust fund created last year.

Lawmakers plan to put $200 million per year into the Major Moves 2020 fund for a long-term project for Indiana roads until they reach more than $1 billion in savings in 2020.

But the transportation department and Gov. Mike Pence say they hope to start spending before inflation eats away at the state's purchasing power. Pence said the sitting on the cash could cost the state $56 million.

"We have great opportunities in Indiana to improve our infrastructure," Pence said during a news conference earlier this month. "That will contribute not just to our economy in terms of that work being done, but also to making Indiana more attractive for investment by improving our logistics of capacity."

Among the project INDOT is proposing to use the money for include widening Interstates 65, 70 and 69 to six lanes in certain areas.

RevZimmerman

Diverging Diamond Interchange in Indiana construction to begin in mid-April:
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20140225/BLOGS01/140229543/0/SEARCH

QuoteALLEN COUNTY, Ind. — The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) Fort Wayne District announces that work will begin for the I-69 and SR 1/Dupont Road interchange modification project by mid-April, weather permitting. The bridge deck will be modified, and the ramps will be upgraded to fit the diverging diamond design.

The interchange will be converted from a traditional diamond to a diverging diamond interchange (DDI). When entering the DDI, drivers will crossover to the left side of the bridge, guided by signals, signs and pavement markings. This configuration efficiently allows drivers to maneuver to and from I-69 with little to no delays. Traffic congestion is reduced by eliminating the left-turn phase from the traffic signal cycle.

INDOT's site on the construction: http://www.in.gov/indot/2894.htm

tdindy88

I have a brief update about SR 267 in Hendricks County after visiting a friend in Avon tonight. Although I haven't checked anything around Brownsburg, I can confirm that all SR 267 shields in Avon AND in Plainfield north of US 40 are gone. Regardless to that, nearly every white on green street sign in both Avon and Plainfield still say SR 267 on it. I'm betting a lot of people in the area are still calling the highway 267 without even realizing that that number no longer exists for that highway. In Brownsburg I bet it's easier calling it Green Street. At the intersection with US 40 and old SR 267 the sign refers to the road as Avon Ave. Indeed at the intersection with US 40 and Quaker Boulevard, the four-lane segment of SR 267 connect 40 with I-70, there is an "end" sign posted with the SR 267 shield, indicating that the highway now ends there. I'd guess the shields are gone in Brownsburg but I have no clue about north of there.

One thing I noticed heading east on I-70 that I didn't see before, they have a new message board sign over the C/D lanes of the highway between the airport and I-465 interchanges. This is over basically the exit ramp from I-70 to I-465, not the I-70 mainline itself. To my knowledge this is the first time that there's been something like this. I know I've seen it on the Dan Ryan in Chicago where message board signs are up over both the express and local lanes.

tvketchum

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 16, 2014, 12:29:15 AM
I have a brief update about SR 267 in Hendricks County after visiting a friend in Avon tonight. Although I haven't checked anything around Brownsburg, I can confirm that all SR 267 shields in Avon AND in Plainfield north of US 40 are gone. Regardless to that, nearly every white on green street sign in both Avon and Plainfield still say SR 267 on it. I'm betting a lot of people in the area are still calling the highway 267 without even realizing that that number no longer exists for that highway. In Brownsburg I bet it's easier calling it Green Street. At the intersection with US 40 and old SR 267 the sign refers to the road as Avon Ave. Indeed at the intersection with US 40 and Quaker Boulevard, the four-lane segment of SR 267 connect 40 with I-70, there is an "end" sign posted with the SR 267 shield, indicating that the highway now ends there. I'd guess the shields are gone in Brownsburg but I have no clue about north of there.

One thing I noticed heading east on I-70 that I didn't see before, they have a new message board sign over the C/D lanes of the highway between the airport and I-465 interchanges. This is over basically the exit ramp from I-70 to I-465, not the I-70 mainline itself. To my knowledge this is the first time that there's been something like this. I know I've seen it on the Dan Ryan in Chicago where message board signs are up over both the express and local lanes.

There is now a variable message sign in that area on mainline 70 facing the westbound traffic. Likely because of the multitude of accidents on the route to Terre Haute, which allows INDOT to advise exiting at IN 267 and using US 40 as an alternate.

mukade

The long-awaited contract for the northern part of SR 641 has been awarded so I guess we'll see quite a bit of construction on I-70 this year. If you look at the traffic plans, you'll see some weird stuff (IMO). This following sign design is awful - I certainly hope this series of signs gets redesigned.

What is the deal with the middle section from SR 46 to the current northern end point? The INDOT lettings showed that the contract was awarded to Walsh Construction in 2012, but when I went there in fall 2013, there was very little evidence of construction other than orange signs.

tdindy88

Agreed, much to be desired by that sign, and a lot of the signs designed there. I could almost think that this would be a good spot for one of them tall signs with three lines: SR 641 south/US 40 east/SR 46, with perhaps a TO US 41 south thrown in there something. A mention of Vincennes or Evansville could be nice too. We known I-70 goes to St. Louis, but where's this 641 heading off too?

NE2

Holy crap, is INDOT putting directions above shields?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

trafficsignal

Quote from: NE2 on March 17, 2014, 04:22:32 AM

For multiple shields, they are trending that way.

NE2

Quote from: trafficsignal on March 17, 2014, 06:34:34 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 17, 2014, 04:22:32 AM

For multiple shields, they are trending that way.
Good riddance to space wastage.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tvketchum

When the route joining the interstate, the departing portion of the route gets the direction. IOW, this proposed design would face westbound I 70, so continuing westbound will add US40 westbound. To go east on 40, you exit. Since SR 46 north of I 70 has US 40, and south of I 70 will be SR 641, that afterthought SR 46 sheild may be intended to be removed when the work is all said and done. The SR 641 may be covered when the sign goes up if it is not open, so the switch in the field will be easy.

mukade

Indiana Senate President Pro Tempore David Long officially announced $30 million, which will completely fund the Huntington County Road 900 North/Lafayette Center Road project, at a press conference Wednesday morning at Indiana Tech in Fort Wayne....

$30 million highway project in Huntington and Allen counties gets funding (Indiana Economic Digest)

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on March 20, 2014, 10:23:30 PM
Indiana Senate President Pro Tempore David Long officially announced $30 million, which will completely fund the Huntington County Road 900 North/Lafayette Center Road project, at a press conference Wednesday morning at Indiana Tech in Fort Wayne....

$30 million highway project in Huntington and Allen counties gets funding (Indiana Economic Digest)

US 24 should run along that road

PurdueBill

I wonder if they will move US 24 to it after the project is done.  Nah.  (Would add a couple miles to the system, probably a deal-breaker even if the state is paying for all the construction. They probably won't pay for the maintenance.)

theline

Actually, INDOT could reduce their supported mileage by about 2.7 miles, if they move 24 to Lafayette Center and turn the existing route between Roanoke and I-69 over to the locals. If I know INDOT, they'd find that very hard to resist.

tdindy88

Wasn't 24 just rerouted to the north of Fort Wayne along I-69 and I-469. I recall seeing a contract for moving the signs for the highway for the reroute, I'm not sure if INDOT would want to do that again and reroute the highway to the south. Of course, INDOT could just use Lafayette Center and then I-69 north from there too. Or for once, INDOT could just leave it alone.

mukade

INDOT will be able to expand a section of I-65 from Southport to Franklin after Gov. Mike Pence signed a bill releasing $200 million in highway construction money...

State to widen Interstate 65 south of Southport (IBJ)

tdindy88

I'm sure most of us saw this coming after the bill was passed. I go home each morning along this highway in the opposite direction and see plenty of traffic heading north. Of course, Southport to Greenwood is already six lanes so what does this actually mean for that highway. Greenwood to Franklin though is surly appreciated. I would expect the next two widenings to be I-65 north from Sellersburg to probably Henryville and maybe I-70 from Mt. Comfort to Greenfield.

mukade

I would also hope I-65 from US 30 in Merrillville to US 231 in Crown Point. Especially because this is essentially building new shoulders.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.