News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 30, 2023, 03:04:55 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on July 30, 2023, 02:58:34 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 30, 2023, 01:05:38 PM
I-265 is only 4 lanes and not capable of carrying I-64 traffic long term, and there are several spots where widening it would be extremely difficult if not impossible.

Whether by repair or replacement, there needs to be a functional western bridge.
Both the East End Bridge and the twin tunnel tubes look wide enough to carry 3 lanes each way, with narrow shoulders on the bridge and no shoulders in the tunnel.

Are there HC restrictions on the KY-841 soon-to-be I-265 tunnel?

That said, a western bridge to New Albany is a good thing, but could not the current bridge with much lighter daily AADT/load and potentially a single deck be less trouble maintenance-wise?
I'm talking about I-265 between I-64 and I-65. There are so many homes and businesses along there that would be very, very expensive to buy out in order to widen.
Assuming in Indiana:
Is there not enough room in the median to build an inside 3rd lane and jersey barrier?

tdindy88

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 30, 2023, 03:07:09 PM
I-265 is only 4 lanes and not capable of carrying I-64 traffic long term, and there are several spots where widening it would be extremely difficult if not impossible.

Whether by repair or replacement, there needs to be a functional western bridge.
Both the East End Bridge and the twin tunnel tubes look wide enough to carry 3 lanes each way, with narrow shoulders on the bridge and no shoulders in the tunnel.

That said, a western bridge to New Albany is a good thing, but could not the current bridge with much lighter daily AADT/load and potentially a single deck be less trouble maintenance-wise?
I'm talking about I-265 between I-64 and I-65. There are so many homes and businesses along there that would be very, very expensive to buy out in order to widen.
Assuming in Indiana:
Is there not enough room in the median to build an inside 3rd lane and jersey barrier?

I would say that there's definitely room to build a third lane.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county-farm-market-being-forced-to-move-as-indot-claims-eminent-domain-on-land

The owner of the business off of US 31 at 256th Street in Hamilton County is not happy as INDOT will be taking over this property via eminent domain.

ITB

On Monday in Henry County, a Google Maps Street View vehicle was involved in police pursuit after the driver failed to pull over after being clocked on US 36 going "well over" 100 in a 55 mph zone. Police chased the vehicle into Madison County where the driver lost control and crashed. No injuries were reported.

Edit: Swapped out video due to the first not having sound.

The Ghostbuster

There is nothing stupider than running from the police. Why the hell was that driver going well over 100 MPH? Did they think they were on a German Autobahn?

mgk920

Quote from: ITB on August 03, 2023, 01:42:09 AM
On Monday in Henry County, a Google Maps Street View vehicle was involved in police pursuit after the driver failed to pull over after being clocked on US 36 going "well over" 100 in a 55 mph zone. Police chased the vehicle into Madison County where the driver lost control and crashed. No injuries were reported.

Poor car . . .   :no:

Mike

Life in Paradise

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 03, 2023, 12:10:21 PM
There is nothing stupider than running from the police. Why the hell was that driver going well over 100 MPH? Did they think they were on a German Autobahn?
Next question I have is:  Was the car still taking pictures during the chase?  Would love to see those and see the faces blurred without software!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Life in Paradise on August 03, 2023, 01:02:24 PM
Next question I have is:  Was the car still taking pictures during the chase?  Would love to see those and see the faces blurred without software!

I had the same thought; especially the part where the idiot winds up in the ditch.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

Whoever was being the wheel hopefully never works updating Google Maps' Street View again.

ITB

Indiana's ambition to attract investment from the semi-conductor industry is detailed in a major New York Times' article that appeared today.

Considering how large the LEAP Innovation District is planned to be, and the potential linkage of companies that locate there to Purdue University, it seems obvious that I-65 between Lebanon and Lafayette will become increasingly important. Will we soon see a major push to widen I-65 in its entirety to three lanes in each direction between the two cities?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ITB on August 06, 2023, 03:03:09 PM

Indiana's ambition to attract investment from the semi-conductor industry is detailed in a major New York Times' article that appeared today.

Considering how large the LEAP Innovation District is planned to be, and the potential linkage of companies that locate there to Purdue University, it seems obvious that I-65 between Lebanon and Lafayette will become increasingly important. Will we soon see a major push to widen I-65 in its entirety to three lanes in each direction between the two cities?

It would be cost prohibitive to do the section between I-465 and I-865, but other than that, there will only be 22 miles left, between IN 47 and IN 38, left to do. My guess is that segment gets done within the next 4-6 years.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

sprjus4

That stretch of I-265 has a 60 ft median - there is more than enough room to construct a third lane and 10 ft paved shoulder in either direction and still have 16 ft of grass still left in the middle.

sprjus4

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 03, 2023, 12:54:49 AM
https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county-farm-market-being-forced-to-move-as-indot-claims-eminent-domain-on-land

The owner of the business off of US 31 at 256th Street in Hamilton County is not happy as INDOT will be taking over this property via eminent domain.
I don't blame him... that article shows a rendering of the proposed cul-de-sac... are they not able to construct the cul-de-sac to the south instead over that gravel lot, and spare his business?

Or construct the cul-de-sac just east of the property over farmland? INDOT claiming there's no alternative that doesn't relocate his property is... BS. They can easily retain his business while constructing the cul-de-sac and controlling access on US-31.

Revive 755

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on August 06, 2023, 05:57:46 PM
It would be cost prohibitive to do the section between I-465 and I-865, but other than that, there will only be 22 miles left, between IN 47 and IN 38, left to do. My guess is that segment gets done within the next 4-6 years.

I-865 to I-465 (Exit 123) has a decent sized grass median that could easily handling adding one more lane each way, if not two in many spots.

JREwing78

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 06, 2023, 08:11:48 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on August 03, 2023, 12:54:49 AM

I don't blame him... that article shows a rendering of the proposed cul-de-sac... are they not able to construct the cul-de-sac to the south instead over that gravel lot, and spare his business?

Or construct the cul-de-sac just east of the property over farmland? INDOT claiming there's no alternative that doesn't relocate his property is... BS. They can easily retain his business while constructing the cul-de-sac and controlling access on US-31.

Then what? Still not giving him direct access to his business from US-31, which is the real issue he's upset about. He needs to move to the exit at 236th St or 276th St. Hopefully he and his lawyers are smart enough to get InDOT to cough up some of the expenses invovled in rebuilding at a different location.

silverback1065

i don't get that either, it looks like access can be easily maintained.

ITB

You have to feel for a guy who has devoted so many years to a business. It's an unfortunate situation. And yet the die was cast a few years back when the decision was made to end 256th Street at cul-de-sacs, instead of constructing an overpass or an interchange. The business, even if allowed to stay, is likely to struggle to remain viable. The best thing to do now is to relocate and to squeeze as much money as possible out of INDOT to assist with that.

ITB

I think the widening of I-65 between SR 47 and SR 38 is going to move to the forefront. Maybe not this year or next, but soon forthcoming. It's a largely rural stretch, with only one interchange, at SR 28, so it won't be outrageously expensive. Even so, at roughly $30 million a mile in present dollars, it's a $600 to 650 million project. Five years from now, it will probably be upwards of $750 million.

Great Lakes Roads

https://revivei70.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/Revive-I-70_PIM2_Presentation.pdf

I dug through the presentation slides on the I-70 Revive project in the Richmond area, and here's the gists of it:

1. There are three separate contracts on this 20-mile stretch of I-70
2. Contract 1 includes rebuilding and widening I-70 for nine miles to three lanes in each direction with a concrete barrier and a wide 14-foot left shoulder.
3. Interchange improvements will be happening at the US 35 (exit 149) and the US 40 (exit 156).
a. The US 35 (exit 149) interchange improvement includes a C-D lane for westbound traffic exiting from I-70 as well as extending the acceleration lane for entering traffic to I-70 eastbound.
b. The US 40 (exit 156) interchange improvement includes rebuilding the B4 parclo interchange to a diamond interchange with roundabouts.
4. 41 bridges are planned to be improved, with 6 bridges being fully replaced, 15 bridges getting a major rehab, 14 bridges getting a deck overlay, and 6 bridges getting preventive maintenance.

The letting on Contract 1 will be expected to be let in early 2024, with construction to be expected to begin in late 2024.

Plutonic Panda

It seems like this is just for section 1. is it safe to assume the other sections will be widened as well?

tosa

Quote from: ITB on August 07, 2023, 06:18:16 PM

I think the widening of I-65 between SR 47 and SR 38 is going to move to the forefront. Maybe not this year or next, but soon forthcoming. It's a largely rural stretch, with only one interchange, at SR 28, so it won't be outrageously expensive. Even so, at roughly $30 million a mile in present dollars, it's a $600 to 650 million project. Five years from now, it will probably be upwards of $750 million.

Even if INDOT widens the whole stretch of I-65 from Lafayette to Indy to three lanes, Purdue still sort of ends up feeling a bit disconnected from the interstate highway. It's not like those other big Midwestern universities, where they're conveniently close to the highways. Here, after you hop off I-65, you've got this whole drive through Lafayette before you can even reach the campus. So, maybe it wouldn't hurt for them to consider a shortcut — like a direct route connecting US 231 to I-65, south of Lafayette.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 10, 2023, 02:22:12 AM
It seems like this is just for section 1. is it safe to assume the other sections will be widened as well?

I would not be surprised if the other two sections include adding a third lane each way...

hobsini2

Quote from: tosa on August 10, 2023, 04:53:24 PM

Even if INDOT widens the whole stretch of I-65 from Lafayette to Indy to three lanes, Purdue still sort of ends up feeling a bit disconnected from the interstate highway. It's not like those other big Midwestern universities, where they're conveniently close to the highways. Here, after you hop off I-65, you've got this whole drive through Lafayette before you can even reach the campus. So, maybe it wouldn't hurt for them to consider a shortcut — like a direct route connecting US 231 to I-65, south of Lafayette.

Getting to Camp Randall in Madison is not that easy either. After exiting the Belt Line (12-18) at John Nolen, you go up to North Shore Dr (151), then west to where it becomes Regent St to get to the stadium directly. We usually park off Broom & Johnson then walk the 9 blocks to the stadium.

Sorry for the tangent.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

tosa

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 11, 2023, 11:47:16 AM
Quote from: tosa on August 10, 2023, 04:53:24 PM

Getting to Camp Randall in Madison is not that easy either. After exiting the Belt Line (12-18) at John Nolen, you go up to North Shore Dr (151), then west to where it becomes Regent St to get to the stadium directly. We usually park off Broom & Johnson then walk the 9 blocks to the stadium.

Sorry for the tangent.

According to Google Maps, the trip from Camp Randall to the freeway entrance at John Nolen spans about 3.4 miles, which takes roughly 9 minutes to drive. Plus, the entire route is on a road with at least 4 lanes. Now, when we look at Purdue, the distance from Ross-Ade to the I-65 entrance on IN-26 is about 6 miles, taking around 20 minutes to drive, and portions of the route have just one lane in each direction. It's pretty clear that being a Badgers fan comes with some transportation luck.

silverback1065

I think eventually they are going to extend the 231 bypass up to 65.  :hmmm:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.