News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibthebigd

The Muncie Bypass needs an exit at McGalliard Rd

SM-G996U

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 03, 2023, 08:53:07 PM

Unsure why the Muncie bypass is still 55 mph and not at least 60 mph.

Anyone know when the muncie bypass was built?  :hmmm:

It started in the 1970s according to AARoads website on the bypass, which I researched for. I don't remember seeing an exact date but it is probably somewhere.

As for the 55 MPH speed limit? Probably the same reason I-465 is at 55, it probably considers the Muncie Bypass as "urban."

Quote from: ibthebigd on September 03, 2023, 08:55:13 PM
SM-G996U

While that would be nice, don't hold your breath. Muncie is not a growing community and the east side has seen even less growth. INDOT probably has no appetite for building an exit there unless Delaware County were to help. Another spot that would be perfect for an exit would be the Cowan Road intersection on the southwest side of the bypass, but again, no money or immediate need for one there. The space is set aside however.

I-55

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 04, 2023, 08:44:32 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on September 03, 2023, 08:53:07 PM

Unsure why the Muncie bypass is still 55 mph and not at least 60 mph.

Anyone know when the muncie bypass was built?  :hmmm:

It started in the 1970s according to AARoads website on the bypass, which I researched for. I don't remember seeing an exact date but it is probably somewhere.

As for the 55 MPH speed limit? Probably the same reason I-465 is at 55, it probably considers the Muncie Bypass as "urban."

Quote from: ibthebigd on September 03, 2023, 08:55:13 PM
SM-G996U

While that would be nice, don't hold your breath. Muncie is not a growing community and the east side has seen even less growth. INDOT probably has no appetite for building an exit there unless Delaware County were to help. Another spot that would be perfect for an exit would be the Cowan Road intersection on the southwest side of the bypass, but again, no money or immediate need for one there. The space is set aside however.

Indiana law does not allow anything above 55 on a road without a median or barrier, which the portion west of Old SR 67 lacks either. Since there are traffic lights, railroad grade crossings, and no highway on the end of the bypass, INDOT probably kept it at 55 for consistency.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Great Lakes Roads

XamotCGC

what they do to turn hwy 37 that runs between indianapolis and Bloomington to interstate 69 as what kind of upgrades?
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

ilpt4u

Quote from: XamotCGC on September 07, 2023, 02:38:57 PM
what they do to turn hwy 37 that runs between indianapolis and Bloomington to interstate 69 as what kind of upgrades?
See this thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4855.0
It has been detailing the entire process of both the new terrain and upgraded 37 portions of I-69

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on September 01, 2023, 09:04:37 PM

One thing that you may have noticed on the completed sections of these freeways: INDOT has adopted the practice of adding black stripes to the white stripes in the driving lanes, which will enhance safety during rainy conditions. Also, they have fully embraced the practice of using shortened dashed lines to warn of a terminiating/exiting lane.

https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/standards/drawings/sep23/800e/e800%20combined%20pdfs/E808-DLIM.pdf

I guess that INDOT went through a massive revision on line markings (dotted line markings and markings on narrow bridges) as of September 2023...

https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/standards/drawings/sep23/sep.htm

nwi_navigator_1181

This week, concrete restoration work on I-80/94 eastbound will enter the final phase, with the eastbound lanes shifted over to the left while work on the right lanes and outer shoulder commences.

The innermost lane will be in its current location, as a counter flow lane on the westbound side, with no ramp access until Central Avenue/I-65 North. The second lane will also be in its current location, but the two right lanes (and the occasional auxiliary lane) will shift over to join that second lane. This configuration will remain in place until the end of October.

Ramp closures will be taking place in staggered intervals during this time for repairs. Part one will close the ramp to both directions of Cline Avenue, as well as the eastbound entrance from Burr Street. Once one of those ramps open, the eastbound entrances and exits to both Grant Street and Broadway will close. Each respective closure will last two to three weeks.

This work coincides with all other restrictions currently in place along nearby I-65, with all work set to conclude in November.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

ITB

Yesterday, a TV news report took a closer look at the status of the I-465 "Clear Path" project. According to the story, INDOT states the project is about 25% complete.

nwi_navigator_1181

Effective today (9-14-23), INDOT has put a new detour into place for the closed ramp from I-65 north to I-80/94 west ramp in Gary.

Traffic will now be directed to the I-80/94 east C/D ramp, then will use the Central Avenue interchange to "slingshot"  back onto the I-80/94/65 C/D ramp, where traffic will be allowed to enter I-80/94 west.

To facilitate the above movement, the portion of Central Avenue between the two ramps will be closed to through traffic, including all ramp access. Local traffic using Central Avenue will likely be detoured via MLK Drive, 15th Avenue and Clay Street.

rte66man

ROD Issued for Mid-States Corridor Project

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2023-09-15/pdf/2023-19810.pdf

Selected sections are quoted below:
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Highway Administration
Notice of Final Federal Agency Actions on the Mid-States Corridor Project in Indiana

AGENCY: Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), DOT.

ACTION: Notice of limitation on claims for judicial review of actions by FHWA and other Federal agencies.

SUMMARY: This notice announces final actions taken by FHWA and the United States Fish and Wildlife Service
(USFWS) relating to the proposed MidStates Corridor Project in southern Indiana. The public is advised that
FHWA issued a Record of Decision (ROD) which concludes the Tier 1 MidStates Corridor Project studies. The ROD
is combined with the Mid-States Corridor Project Tier 1 Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
prepared by FHWA and the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT).

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Notice is hereby given that FHWA has approved the Tier 1 Final Environmental Impact
Statement (FEIS) for the Mid-States Corridor Project and issued the combined FEIS/ROD on September 15, 2023.

This FEIS and ROD identified Refined Alternative P as the Selected Alternative.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Life in Paradise

Quote from: rte66man on September 15, 2023, 08:16:08 AM
ROD Issued for Mid-States Corridor Project

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2023-09-15/pdf/2023-19810.pdf

Selected sections are quoted below:
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Highway Administration
Notice of Final Federal Agency Actions on the Mid-States Corridor Project in Indiana

AGENCY: Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), DOT.

ACTION: Notice of limitation on claims for judicial review of actions by FHWA and other Federal agencies.

SUMMARY: This notice announces final actions taken by FHWA and the United States Fish and Wildlife Service
(USFWS) relating to the proposed MidStates Corridor Project in southern Indiana. The public is advised that
FHWA issued a Record of Decision (ROD) which concludes the Tier 1 MidStates Corridor Project studies. The ROD
is combined with the Mid-States Corridor Project Tier 1 Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
prepared by FHWA and the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT).

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Notice is hereby given that FHWA has approved the Tier 1 Final Environmental Impact
Statement (FEIS) for the Mid-States Corridor Project and issued the combined FEIS/ROD on September 15, 2023.

This FEIS and ROD identified Refined Alternative P as the Selected Alternative.
I'm getting to the point of agreeing with some of the locals that the project is not needed especially after looking at what they selected.  However, the are does need a bypass of Jasper to the commercial/manufacturing area and a bypass of Huntingburg with a four lane down to I-64.  That has been needed for over 40 years and all that has been done is two sections of super two highways of US 231 to drop off in the business section of Jasper and Huntingburg, and a super two around the south side of Jasper to veer IN 162 from going in town.  These solved minor problems, but all the while the towns have been developing and now some of the land that could have been easily used for the routing is now subdivisions and off limits.

The Ghostbuster

When the Mid-States Corridor project is eventually constructed, would any of you utilize the improved US 231 corridor on a regular basis?

silverback1065

this only makes sense as a super 2 or divided at grade highway. interstate through here would be insane.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 15, 2023, 10:06:05 PM
this only makes sense as a super 2 or divided at grade highway. interstate through here would be insane.

I think they're shooting for a super 2 for the most part, with passing lanes as needed. Not sure about the bypass(es).

Also ... somewhere along the line Gov. Holcomb proposed some spot improvements for the existing 231, but I don't know what/where those are.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on September 13, 2023, 09:57:50 AM

Yesterday, a TV news report took a closer look at the status of the I-465 "Clear Path" project. According to the story, INDOT states the project is about 25% complete.
This project is nearly in my back yard, but the information about it has been WOEFULLY LACKING, both from the contractors and from INDOT. The project website to date has been a bad joke and is a total embarrassment to our state! Both the I-69 Finish Line project and the recently completed I-65/I-70 North Split rebuild project have had MUCH more information available online and their websites featured regular, timely updates (including weekly drone flyover footage in the case of the North Split). Whomever is in charge of public relations/information for this "Clear Path" project should be fired immediately, IMHO!

silverback1065

I think all major projects in Indiana should get drone flyovers. those were so cool for north split. I will say clear path news is very lacking. I don't know anything about that project other than the layouts and lane configs. they posted those a while ago.

:hmmm: anyone have any idea what is going on on 65 between 465 and 865 on the west side? traffic backs up there a lot now and signs say avoid the area. what's going on over there?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SSR_317 on September 23, 2023, 01:41:41 PM
Quote from: ITB on September 13, 2023, 09:57:50 AM

This project is nearly in my back yard, but the information about it has been WOEFULLY LACKING, both from the contractors and from INDOT. The project website to date has been a bad joke and is a total embarrassment to our state! Both the I-69 Finish Line project and the recently completed I-65/I-70 North Split rebuild project have had MUCH more information available online and their websites featured regular, timely updates (including weekly drone flyover footage in the case of the North Split). Whomever is in charge of public relations/information for this "Clear Path" project should be fired immediately, IMHO!

🙄🙄🙄

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 23, 2023, 10:10:49 PM
I think all major projects in Indiana should get drone flyovers. those were so cool for north split. I will say clear path news is very lacking. I don't know anything about that project other than the layouts and lane configs. they posted those a while ago.

:hmmm: anyone have any idea what is going on on 65 between 465 and 865 on the west side? traffic backs up there a lot now and signs say avoid the area. what's going on over there?
https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/370feb3

nwi_navigator_1181

As promised, exactly three weeks to the day, crews are set to reopen the I-65 north to I-80/94 west ramp after intensive concrete repair. The I-65 south to I-80/94 west ramp reopened the previous week. After tomorrow, the northbound entrance from Ridge Road will reopen, and full access to Central Avenue will be restored.

However, a series of ramp closures will be taking place for winterization. High friction surface treatment will take place on seven ramps along I-80/94 and I-65:

I-80/94 east to both directions of Calumet Avenue (staggered closures, north first, then south)
I-80/94 east to Burr Street north
I-80/94 east to Indiana 152 North (Indianapolis Boulevard)
I-80/94 east to Kennedy Avenue northbound
I-65 south to Ridge Road
I-65 south to US 231 (to coincide with the current closure due to the concrete restoration project, both works will be completed upon opening)

These ramps share one common theme: exiting from a high speed corridor to a ramp requiring a drop in speed of at least 20 mph. The closures are staggered, with work expected to start this week and lasting through mid-October, weather permitting.

JREwing78

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on September 25, 2023, 09:39:19 PM
However, a series of ramp closures will be taking place for winterization. High friction surface treatment will take place on seven ramps along I-80/94 and I-65:

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on September 25, 2023, 09:39:19 PM
These ramps share one common theme: exiting from a high speed corridor to a ramp requiring a drop in speed of at least 20 mph.

Being just off Lake Michigan and prone to wicked lake effect snow showers, this friction treatment is certainly welcome.

vdeane

Has anyone ever had their E-ZPass fail to read on the Indiana Toll Road before?  I think I had that happen when driving home from the Peoria roadmeet.  When I got to Westpoint, the light stayed red and never turned green in the E-ZPass lane.  After a few seconds of this, I just went, not knowing what to do (the gate arm was either up or non-existent; I don't know if I even realized that the ITR had gate arms until I got to Portage).  My ticket system toll from Portage to Eastpoint posted to my E-ZPass account a week ago, so now I'm worried that I'm going to be stuck with a violation notice or something.  It's weird, in all the years I've had an E-ZPass account, I've never had an issue with my transponder being read before.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on October 02, 2023, 09:14:58 PM
Has anyone ever had their E-ZPass fail to read on the Indiana Toll Road before?  I think I had that happen when driving home from the Peoria roadmeet.  When I got to Westpoint, the light stayed red and never turned green in the E-ZPass lane.  After a few seconds of this, I just went, not knowing what to do (the gate arm was either up or non-existent; I don't know if I even realized that the ITR had gate arms until I got to Portage).  My ticket system toll from Portage to Eastpoint posted to my E-ZPass account a week ago, so now I'm worried that I'm going to be stuck with a violation notice or something.  It's weird, in all the years I've had an E-ZPass account, I've never had an issue with my transponder being read before.
Nope.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Revive 755

Quote from: vdeane on October 02, 2023, 09:14:58 PM
Has anyone ever had their E-ZPass fail to read on the Indiana Toll Road before?

The toll plazas on the Indiana Toll Road seem to have issues in general - I'm recalling a stuck gate at a toll plaza making it on one of WBBM's traffic reports.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.