News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzcarp

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 02, 2023, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 02, 2023, 09:14:58 PM
Has anyone ever had their E-ZPass fail to read on the Indiana Toll Road before?

The toll plazas on the Indiana Toll Road seem to have issues in general - I'm recalling a stuck gate at a toll plaza making it on one of WBBM's traffic reports.

I was once stuck trying to enter at the IN-933 interchange by South Bend. Eventually (with several cars stacked behind me), I just pushed the ticket button to get a printed one. My transponder read correctly exiting the ticket system at the Portage toll plaza, so I never needed the ticket, and I was only charged for my trip, not the max toll.
So many miles and so many roads

silverback1065

Random question for the NW Indiana posters. Why does Chase street not cross the Little Calumet River? I notice it's a 4 lane road when it crosses 80/94 but then a few thousand feet south it just dies before it crosses, only to pick back up again a few miles south of that. Did it ever cross in the past? Street view shows a block wall at either end of the road.  :hmmm:

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 03, 2023, 04:18:35 PM
Random question for the NW Indiana posters. Why does Chase street not cross the Little Calumet River? I notice it's a 4 lane road when it crosses 80/94 but then a few thousand feet south it just dies before it crosses, only to pick back up again a few miles south of that. Did it ever cross in the past? Street view shows a block wall at either end of the road.  :hmmm:

I've not lived here all that long, so I don't know. My guess would be that it used to, but the bridge deteriorated and the city of Gary decided not to spend the money to replace it.

nwi navigator has lived up here longer, so perhaps he knows for sure.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: zzcarp on October 03, 2023, 12:39:13 PM

The toll plazas on the Indiana Toll Road seem to have issues in general - I'm recalling a stuck gate at a toll plaza making it on one of WBBM's traffic reports.

I was once stuck trying to enter at the IN-933 interchange by South Bend. Eventually (with several cars stacked behind me), I just pushed the ticket button to get a printed one. My transponder read correctly exiting the ticket system at the Portage toll plaza, so I never needed the ticket, and I was only charged for my trip, not the max toll.

I never have, but I've often seen cars stuck in the EZ-Pass lane so it may very well be a regular occurrence.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 03, 2023, 06:15:36 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on October 03, 2023, 04:18:35 PM

I've not lived here all that long, so I don't know. My guess would be that it used to, but the bridge deteriorated and the city of Gary decided not to spend the money to replace it.

nwi navigator has lived up here longer, so perhaps he knows for sure.

You rang? Allow me to answer.

Chase Street didn't necessarily have a bridge across the Little Calumet River. (EDIT: there WAS a bridge, my mistake, but the following remains true.) That section sat along an elevated surface that allowed the river to channel under. Unfortunately, because it was mostly under maintenance by the City of Gary, the condition of the road deteriorated to the point where that section was completely warped and caused unsafely bumpy rides. It didn't help that section was prone to flooding due to swelling river banks (heavy rains, melting snow, or the combination of both).

Sadly, the unsafe conditions proved to be deadly. In early 2009, a couple went missing after a night out, and evidence pointed to their last known whereabouts being around that section of Chase Street. Their vehicle was found submerged in the cold waters of the Little Calumet, along with them not too far from where it crashed. Icy conditions (the road was rarely treated during the winter), along with the bumpy terrain, were said to be the cause of the tragedy. Weeks later, the road would be closed, and it ultimately became permanent.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

theline

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 03, 2023, 06:16:48 PM

I never have, but I've often seen cars stuck in the EZ-Pass lane so it may very well be a regular occurrence.
I've had my transponder fail to read twice, both when I entering the ITR. I went ahead and took a ticket. Luckily, I was exiting the road where there was an attendant. I presented my transponder and ticket at both locations, and the attendant was able to fix things. I discussed it with the second attendant, and he confirmed that the failure was not unusual.  :rolleyes:

Rothman

Quote from: theline on October 12, 2023, 03:12:34 AM

I've had my transponder fail to read twice, both when I entering the ITR. I went ahead and took a ticket. Luckily, I was exiting the road where there was an attendant. I presented my transponder and ticket at both locations, and the attendant was able to fix things. I discussed it with the second attendant, and he confirmed that the failure was not unusual.  :rolleyes:
I saw a couple's transponder fail on the ITR this past weekend, but they pulled all the way up to the gate before pulling it out of somewhere and holding it up to their windshield.

Mine was taped to the dash of my rental and I had no issues.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: theline on October 12, 2023, 03:12:34 AM

So what happens if fails at Westpoint and there's no ticket to use to straighten things out?  I tried contacting the ITR, but they were less than helpful (they mentioned an exit read and reconciling with the ticket, which makes no sense since Westpoint isn't on the ticket system; I think they got confused with the Portage-Eastpoint transaction that correctly posted), and I'm worried I'm going to be stuck paying a violation or something.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JREwing78

I've encountered a similar problem on the Toll Road. Literally detached the E-Z Pass transponder and waved it around, and got nothing. Finally had to press the call button and get them to let me out. Haven't had a problem since.

cjw2001

Quote from: SSR_317 on September 23, 2023, 01:41:41 PM
Quote from: ITB on September 13, 2023, 09:57:50 AM

Yesterday, a TV news report took a closer look at the status of the I-465 "Clear Path" project. According to the story, INDOT states the project is about 25% complete.
This project is nearly in my back yard, but the information about it has been WOEFULLY LACKING, both from the contractors and from INDOT. The project website to date has been a bad joke and is a total embarrassment to our state! Both the I-69 Finish Line project and the recently completed I-65/I-70 North Split rebuild project have had MUCH more information available online and their websites featured regular, timely updates (including weekly drone flyover footage in the case of the North Split). Whomever is in charge of public relations/information for this "Clear Path" project should be fired immediately, IMHO!

Finally a small update https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INDOT/bulletins/3753e43

nwi_navigator_1181

At some point next week, concrete restoration on I-65 will enter its final phase.

Crews will work to restore southbound I-65 traffic to its normal configuration, with the left lane remaining closed for median wall rebuild. Upon completion of reconfiguration, all ramp restrictions at 109th Avenue and US 231 will be lifted.

During this time, the temporary barrier wall along northbound I-65 will be removed as crews re-stripe the northbound lanes to their normal configuration.

Concrete restoration on I-80/94 is also entering its final weeks, as crews finish patching and diamond grinding the outside lanes. Ramps closed for repair as of this post:

The eastbound entrance from Burr Street
Eastbound entrance and exit ramps at Grant Street and Broadway

Much like I-65, this project is on track for completion by the end of October.

roadman65

What is going to be accomplished by the Clear Path Project on I-69 and I-465 at Binford Blvd?

I see the PDF from INDOT show relocated ramps accomplishing the same thing as the only difference is that the I-69 SB to I-465 SB ( Future I-69 SB through movement) will be shifted over some, but still the same turbine ramp.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cjw2001

Quote from: roadman65 on October 24, 2023, 03:50:42 PM
What is going to be accomplished by the Clear Path Project on I-69 and I-465 at Binford Blvd?

I see the PDF from INDOT show relocated ramps accomplishing the same thing as the only difference is that the I-69 SB to I-465 SB ( Future I-69 SB through movement) will be shifted over some, but still the same turbine ramp.

From INDOT's web site:

QuoteThe Clear Path 465 project includes:

• Reconstruction of I-465 and I-69 to include added lanes
  • Reconstruction of the I-465/I-69 interchange and additional lanes on two interchange ramps, including a new direct-connect ramp from eastbound I-465 to northbound I-69
  • Reconstruction of the I-69/82nd Street interchange
  • Separation of I-69 traffic from local traffic entering and exiting at 82nd Street and Binford Boulevard by using concrete barrier, dedicated ramps and collector-distributor lanes
  • Addition of auxiliary lanes between interchanges for entering and exiting traffic
  • Modifications to the ramps at Allisonville Road to connect with additional I-465 lanes
  • Reconstruction and added lanes on Binford Boulevard from south of 75th Street to I-465
  • Construction of 14 new bridges
  • Rehabilitation and widening of two bridges
  • Preventive maintenance work on the Allisonville Road bridge over I-465
  • Maintenance work on the approaches to the I-465 bridges over the White River
  • Reconstruction of E. 71st Street near I-465
  • Reconstruction of the south end of Castleton Road
  • Noise barrier installation in several locations throughout the project limits

silverback1065

Quote from: roadman65 on October 24, 2023, 03:50:42 PM

the entire interchange is being redone. Here are some highlights:

1) Completely separate movements for binford, 69, and 82nd
2) Ramp from 465 EB to 69 NB to be a 2 lane fly under ramp
3) 465 NB to 69 NB will be 3 lanes wide
4) SB Binford will be realigned west of where it is now and a signal will be installed with the ramp from 465 EB to SB Binford (to allow those ramp travelers to get over to the left lane to make a left at 75th
5) The death loop that currently takes you from 465 EB to 69 NB will remain and only take you to 82nd
6) mainline 465 will be 4 lanes wide with i believe 2 aux lanes in each direction from white river to 56th
7) when this project completes SR 37 will be decommissioned from the 37/69 split in fishers to the 69/37 split in Bloomington

nwi_navigator_1181

The Kankakee Welcome Center on I-65 Southbound is officially open.

The facility is rebuilt with art and stylings dedicated to the NW Indiana area, an outdoor play area for children, and a full parking area devoted to trucks.

Also happening this week: traffic on I-80/94 eastbound will be repositioned to its normal configuration, with work to start tomorrow, October 25 at 8pm. Work will conclude with median repair and rebuild, restoring the barrier wall where it was torn down for crossovers/chute lanes. All ramp restrictions will be lifted upon completion of reconfiguration. I-80/94 westbound will stay in its temporary configuration until median repairs are complete.

The South Shore Double Track project reaches a major milestone, also on October 25. Rail service will resume between Dune Park (Chesterton) and Michigan City, with busing service continuing between Dune Park and Gary. The road most affected will be 11th Street near downtown Michigan City. The trains originally did street runs in the middle of 11th Street. Now, 11th Street is an eastbound-only one-way street, with the new tracks running alongside the road. Most cross streets will dead-end on each side of 11th, with Wabash and Franklin Streets being notable exceptions.

Colorado Street is nearing completion at US 30, with the likelihood of reopening just in time for Thanksgiving. Along with new pavement and a median to control entry and exit points for surrounding businesses, the intersection will include new turn lanes on Colorado Street, along with TWO left turn lanes for traffic turning from southbound Colorado to US 30 east.

silverback1065

looks like 252 no longer exists between 65 and 9.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 27, 2023, 01:50:15 PM
looks like 252 no longer exists between 65 and 9.

I submitted this to TM for updating.

Plutonic Panda

Here's an article about the new truck, parking and welcome center. It looks very nice. We need more of these everywhere.

https://cdllife.com/2023/i-65-rest-area-project-brings-225-truck-parking-spaces-to-indiana/?utm_source=cbo-cdllife-kevel&utm_campaign=recommended-widget

Ted$8roadFan

kennyshark64

Circling back to the issues with EZPass, in the 10.5 years I've had mine (yes, I know I'm due for a replacement), I've only had it not work once (at an exit).  Still performed great for me this past weekend in Indiana (exits 72, 77, 121 & 144), not to mention in other states over the years (OH, PA, NJ).

silverback1065

the ramp meters on the SE side of town on 465 will be fully operational by the end of the year. this will also include variable speed limit assemblies that no-one will follow  :-D Every exit on the SE side between 65 and 70 (not counting 74) will have them.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 14, 2023, 07:18:46 PM
the ramp meters on the SE side of town on 465 will be fully operational by the end of the year. this will also include variable speed limit assemblies that no-one will follow  :-D Every exit on the SE side between 65 and 70 (not counting 74) will have them.

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/ramp-metering-traffic-signals-variable-speed-limits-coming-to-i-465

I believe that there is going to be a lot of confusion over this new system, especially since it has never been used in Indiana!

cjw2001

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 14, 2023, 08:10:59 PM

https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/ramp-metering-traffic-signals-variable-speed-limits-coming-to-i-465

I believe that there is going to be a lot of confusion over this new system, especially since it has never been used in Indiana!
It's not like anyone has had to stop at a red light before.... it won't take long for people to adjust.

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on November 15, 2023, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 14, 2023, 08:10:59 PM

It's not like anyone has had to stop at a red light before.... it won't take long for people to adjust.

this operates very differently than simply a red light  :-D but I think it will get figured out pretty fast.

ITB

"INDOT faces fiscal cliff without road funding changes"

INDOT and state legislators are increasingly concerned the transition to alternative-fuel vehicles will harm the budget in upcoming years. As a result, they're looking for possible answers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.