News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trafficsignal

The IBJ article says #2 is I-65 in Lafayette (SR 38 to SR 26).  #3 would be I-69 from 116th to old SR 238.  #4 would be more I-65 in southern Indiana.  I've heard INDOT had more Indy-area widenings planned for that money, including the I-70 stretch out to Greenfield, but was told to include all portions of the state in the widening work.

Also, the I-65 stretch near Crown Point is included with the Illiana work.

froggie

Question:  I took US 231 up from Owensboro to I-64 after last weekend's Nashville meet.  Was the 4-laning of that stretch part of Major Moves?  I know from maps (and an early 2000s trip through Dale but not on US 231) that this 4-laning is relatively new, to tie into the new(ish) river bridge.

tdindy88

silverback1065

they want to 4 lane it throughout most of the state eventually

US 41

Quote from: mukade on March 16, 2014, 06:50:24 PM
The long-awaited contract for the northern part of SR 641 has been awarded so I guess we'll see quite a bit of construction on I-70 this year. If you look at the traffic plans, you'll see some weird stuff (IMO). This following sign design is awful - I certainly hope this series of signs gets redesigned.

What is the deal with the middle section from SR 46 to the current northern end point? The INDOT lettings showed that the contract was awarded to Walsh Construction in 2012, but when I went there in fall 2013, there was very little evidence of construction other than orange signs.

Where did you find this sign at? If you know can you give me the link to the site it's on or show me others?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

agentsteel53

if I saw that sign, I would have no idea what that floating 46 meant.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mukade

Quote from: US 41 on April 01, 2014, 04:31:04 PM
Quote from: mukade on March 16, 2014, 06:50:24 PM
The long-awaited contract for the northern part of SR 641 has been awarded so I guess we'll see quite a bit of construction on I-70 this year. If you look at the traffic plans, you'll see some weird stuff (IMO). This following sign design is awful - I certainly hope this series of signs gets redesigned.

What is the deal with the middle section from SR 46 to the current northern end point? The INDOT lettings showed that the contract was awarded to Walsh Construction in 2012, but when I went there in fall 2013, there was very little evidence of construction other than orange signs.

Where did you find this sign at? If you know can you give me the link to the site it's on or show me others?

It is a bit convoluted to get there. The URL is https://netservices.indot.in.gov/ViewDocs2.0/, but you need the contract number to see the plans. You can get the contact number here.

In this case, you will find it is contract "30091" because the contract was awarded in the March 5, 2014 regular letting. So enter that contract number, and choose the value "Plan/Drawing Set" value in the dropdown. In the next page, signs are usually in the plan/drawing marked as "Traffic" in the column with heading of "Final Tracing Type".

Pretty intuitive. Anyway, the SR 641 Traffic document has numerous sign designs.

mukade

The Wall Street Journal is reporting the Indiana Toll Road is again facing pressure from bondholders, with its controlling partners facing a possible debt restructuring, perhaps in Chapter 11 bankruptcy...

Indiana Toll Road again facing debt problems (NWI Times)

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: mukade on April 01, 2014, 09:55:49 PM
The Wall Street Journal is reporting the Indiana Toll Road is again facing pressure from bondholders, with its controlling partners facing a possible debt restructuring, perhaps in Chapter 11 bankruptcy...

If the Toll Road goes back to the public, who is in charge of maintenance operations? Does INDOT get it back, or is another third party in control?

In another note, while the expansion of I-65 from four to six lanes is still a while off, I observed there are some preparations done when the project eventually begins. Two pairs of bridges located between Indiana 10 (Exit 230) and Indiana 14 (Exit 220) were rebuilt with a concrete barrier in the middle, which can support a third lane and an inside shoulder.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 31, 2014, 09:00:49 PM
I'm sure most of us saw this coming after the bill was passed. I go home each morning along this highway in the opposite direction and see plenty of traffic heading north. Of course, Southport to Greenwood is already six lanes so what does this actually mean for that highway. Greenwood to Franklin though is surly appreciated. I would expect the next two widenings to be I-65 north from Sellersburg to probably Henryville and maybe I-70 from Mt. Comfort to Greenfield.

I live in Jeffersonville, with my wife's family in Indy and my family in South Bend, so I drive I-65 between Jeffersonville and Indy a LOT.  Adding lanes in certain sections is nice, but the traffic bottlenecks don't really occur more frequently between Greenwood-Franklin and Sellersburg-Henryville than any other 2-lane stretch in between.  The bottlenecks occur when you get semis in the left lane going 66 passing semis in the right lane going 65, with a long line of cars trying to go 70 (or more) stuck in the left lane behind the semis.  This happens in pretty much every stretch of road. 

Now, the Greenwood-Franklin section may help those who commute daily from the southern half of Johnson county, but beyond that, the entire distance needs that extra lane.  Just doing a couple sections has minimal impact on those traversing the entire distance.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thefro

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 01, 2014, 11:04:54 PM
Quote from: mukade on April 01, 2014, 09:55:49 PM

If the Toll Road goes back to the public, who is in charge of maintenance operations? Does INDOT get it back, or is another third party in control?

http://www.governing.com/topics/mgmt/indiana-toll-road-model-privatization.html

QuoteWill Wingfield, a spokesman for the Indiana Department of Transportation, says that if the ITR project defaults or declares bankruptcy, Macquarie and Cintra would have the opportunity to find new investors. If that effort fails, tolling authority would return to the state, and Indiana would keep its lump-sum payment.

So INDOT would get the Indiana Toll Road back if the company can't get new investors.

US 41

theline

My guess about the future of the ITR is that new investors will be found. It seems that it does have value as an investment, because there is significant income from tolls and fees from the service plaza tenants. That should more than cover maintenance costs. The current concessionaire is caught in a bind because they are no doubt making payments to whoever loaned the money used to pay the state, using income that falls short of their original estimates. The obligation to the original investors will undoubtedly be erased in part through the bankruptcy process. It's also possible that the current concessionaire may retain control if they get enough relief from the bankruptcy.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: theline on April 02, 2014, 09:47:42 PM
My guess about the future of the ITR is that new investors will be found. It seems that it does have value as an investment, because there is significant income from tolls and fees from the service plaza tenants. That should more than cover maintenance costs. The current concessionaire is caught in a bind because they are no doubt making payments to whoever loaned the money used to pay the state, using income that falls short of their original estimates. The obligation to the original investors will undoubtedly be erased in part through the bankruptcy process. It's also possible that the current concessionaire may retain control if they get enough relief from the bankruptcy.

they to add high speed tolling or at least gate free ETC only lanes.

thefro

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 02, 2014, 08:13:30 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on March 31, 2014, 09:00:49 PM
I'm sure most of us saw this coming after the bill was passed. I go home each morning along this highway in the opposite direction and see plenty of traffic heading north. Of course, Southport to Greenwood is already six lanes so what does this actually mean for that highway. Greenwood to Franklin though is surly appreciated. I would expect the next two widenings to be I-65 north from Sellersburg to probably Henryville and maybe I-70 from Mt. Comfort to Greenfield.

I live in Jeffersonville, with my wife's family in Indy and my family in South Bend, so I drive I-65 between Jeffersonville and Indy a LOT.  Adding lanes in certain sections is nice, but the traffic bottlenecks don't really occur more frequently between Greenwood-Franklin and Sellersburg-Henryville than any other 2-lane stretch in between.  The bottlenecks occur when you get semis in the left lane going 66 passing semis in the right lane going 65, with a long line of cars trying to go 70 (or more) stuck in the left lane behind the semis.  This happens in pretty much every stretch of road. 

Now, the Greenwood-Franklin section may help those who commute daily from the southern half of Johnson county, but beyond that, the entire distance needs that extra lane.  Just doing a couple sections has minimal impact on those traversing the entire distance.

Apparently just the Southport to Franklin section (sounds like they may add some extra travel/ramp lanes from Greenwood to Southport) and the Lafayette section are going to eat up $200 million

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/03/state-add-lanes-sections-franklin-southport/7269209/

QuoteConstruction could begin as early as this fall on a 14.5-mile stretch of I-65 from Ind. 44, east of downtown Franklin, to Southport Road in Marion County.

Will Wingfield, spokesman for the Indiana Department of Transportation, said the four-lane highway would be expanded to six lanes (three in each direction) from Franklin to Greenwood. From Main Street in Greenwood to Southport Road, construction may include adding travel lanes or building ramp lanes, depending on where right- of- way exists.

The other project would widen four-lane I-65 in the Lafayette area to at least six lanes from Ind. 38 to Ind. 26.

QuoteIf the second $200 million in highway funding is released, three additional projects involving 19 miles of interstate will be started as early as next spring.

- Nine miles of I-69 from Ind. 37 in Fishers to Ind. 13 in Madison County.

- Three miles of I-65 from Ind. 26 to Ind. 25 in Lafayette area.

- Seven miles of I-65 from Sellersburg (Exit 9) to Memphis (Exit 16) in Clark County.

Henry

And that's not all...
The $200 million was a compromise on Pence's push to take $400 million out of the Major Moves 2020 Trust Fund, created last year during the General Assembly's budget session.

Pence and House leaders argued that the money is needed now, but Senate Appropriations Chairman Luke Kenley, R-Noblesville, cut the amount in half based on the state's financial condition. The other $200 million could be released after a review of the state's finances this December by the State Budget Committee.

INDOT would spend the additional money, if granted, on Interstate 69 northeast of State Road 37 and 116th Street, and on I-65 in southern Indiana, Wingfield said.

Quote from: mukade on March 31, 2014, 07:18:48 PM
INDOT will be able to expand a section of I-65 from Southport to Franklin after Gov. Mike Pence signed a bill releasing $200 million in highway construction money...

State to widen Interstate 65 south of Southport (IBJ)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

nwi_navigator_1181

Speaking of I-65, is anyone familiar with what's about to happen between US 30 and US 231? There are construction signs up with the speed limit reduced to 55 before the US 30 exit (heading southbound).
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

mukade

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on April 15, 2014, 07:22:27 PM
Speaking of I-65, is anyone familiar with what's about to happen between US 30 and US 231? There are construction signs up with the speed limit reduced to 55 before the US 30 exit (heading southbound).

I thought I saw a contract for concrete pavement restoration for that section. If so, I hope they do a better job than on the Borman.

mukade

If all of the currently announced I-65 widenings happen, about 30% (or 78 miles) of the highway would be six lanes or wider in Indiana.

South MMNorth MMMiles
099Ohio River-Sellersburg -SR 311
9167Sellersburg-MemphisOld SR 311-Memphis Rd
9912324Franklin-Indianapolis (NE)SR 44-I-65
12914112Whitestown-LebanonI-865-US 52
1681724LafayetteSR 38-SR 26
1721753LafayetteSR 26-SR 25
24025313Lowell-MerrillvilleSR 2-US 30
2532596Merrillville-GaryUS 30-I-94

US 41

I-70 is also supposed to get widened to 6 lanes from Indianapolis to Terre Haute.

mukade

Quote from: US 41 on April 24, 2014, 07:06:35 PM
I-70 is also supposed to get widened to 6 lanes from Indianapolis to Terre Haute.

I don't think there are any immediate plans for I-70, are there? There is a long-range plan to make all of I-65 and I-70 six (or more) lanes thru the state, but announced plans are for I-65 and I-69 AFAIK.

Major Moves 2020
[INDOT] Gov. Pence Launches 'Major Moves 2020' Construction

US 41

Quote from: mukade on April 26, 2014, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: US 41 on April 24, 2014, 07:06:35 PM

I don't think there are any immediate plans for I-70, are there? There is a long-range plan to make all of I-65 and I-70 six (or more) lanes thru the state, but announced plans are for I-65 and I-69 AFAIK.

Major Moves 2020
[INDOT] Gov. Pence Launches 'Major Moves 2020' Construction

I think the I-70 widening is going to start around 2025. Terre Haute is definitely getting widened to 6 lanes from Exit 7 - Exit 11. There are also light talks of putting in an interchange between US 41 and SR 46 (SR 641). (The Terre Haute section will definitely need widened to 6 lanes if that ever happens.) The part between Terre Haute and Indy is still in discussion as for whether or not it will be widened to 6 lanes.

theline

^^ Now I'm confused. I thought SR-641 was planned to tie in with 46 south of I-70. I can see that they might modify the existing 46/70 interchange, but why would they need a new one? Has the route been changed?  :hmmm:

US 41

Quote from: theline on April 26, 2014, 06:16:44 PM
^^ Now I'm confused. I thought SR-641 was planned to tie in with 46 south of I-70. I can see that they might modify the existing 46/70 interchange, but why would they need a new one? Has the route been changed?  :hmmm:

Ext 11 is going to be where SR 641 ties into I-70. I was saying that there are light talks of putting an interchange in at either Erie Canal Road, Sidenbender Road, or Fruitridge Ave. I was just saying that if Terre Haute ever gets a 3rd interchange, then I-70 would have to be widened to handle all of the Terre Haute traffic. INDOT plans on widedning I-70 through Terre Haute to 6 lanes anyways for a hefty 160 million. My guess is that INDOT wants to but up a concrete barrier wall down the middle with street lights through Terre Haute. It will be nice when it does happen. Also if the 3rd interchange ever happens the speed limit might get dropped to 55.

theline

Now I understand. I misunderstood your post, US 41. Thanks for straightening me out. I certainly concur that the widening will be much needed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.