News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSR_317

Our arrogant Republican super-majority in the Indiana General ASSembly has little better to do than to try and micromanage transportation policy. One legislator from here in Indianapolis has even filed a bill to outlaw the creation and existence of "Bus Only" lanes on roadways because, in his infinite wisdom, they "discourage" the use of private automobiles by making traffic worse. Shaking my head at such ridiculous demigods and the ignorant fools who elect them and keep them in office.

silverback1065

Quote from: SSR_317 on January 14, 2024, 06:21:41 PM
Our arrogant Republican super-majority in the Indiana General ASSembly has little better to do than to try and micromanage transportation policy. One legislator from here in Indianapolis has even filed a bill to outlaw the creation and existence of "Bus Only" lanes on roadways because, in his infinite wisdom, they "discourage" the use of private automobiles by making traffic worse. Shaking my head at such ridiculous demigods and the ignorant fools who elect them and keep them in office.

I hate getting political here but I completely agree. Let INDOT and Indianapolis DPW determine what is best here. This arrogant senator doesn't have a clue of what he is talking about. So much for "small government"  :banghead:

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 12, 2024, 10:34:35 PM
Looks like there may also be a bill to ban future construction of J-turns:  https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2024/bills/house/1129/details

Yuck.  Stupid politicians telling engineers how to do their jobs.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rawmustard

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 26, 2024, 06:58:45 AM
Is IN 39 on a four-lane ROW here?  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219529558310085&set=a.10219529679833123)

*snip image*

Yes, quite a few overpasses in Indiana were built with expansion in mind.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: rawmustard on January 26, 2024, 10:21:57 AM
Is IN 39 on a four-lane ROW here?  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219529558310085&set=a.10219529679833123)

*snip image*

Yes, quite a few overpasses in Indiana were built with expansion in mind.

IN 23 under the Toll Road is one that was built that way and eventually did expand to 4 lanes.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 15, 2024, 11:42:32 AM
Looks like there may also be a bill to ban future construction of J-turns:  https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2024/bills/house/1129/details

This bill is dead on arrival...

TempoNick

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 15, 2024, 11:42:32 AM

If they are anything like engineers in Ohio, they have a tendency to put the speed limit too low. As somebody who goes to South Dakota on occasion, their speed limit is 80. I've driven 80 miles an hour and not completely comfortable because the road beds are so high from the ground on I-90, at least of Sioux Falls. One wrong twitch on the steering wheel, a blowout or a deer playing chicken and it seems like it's a long way down that ditch to careen.

75 is okay on rural interstates with relatively flat land like Ohio and Indiana that don't have a lot of congestion. I drive that speed anyway. What they really need is virtual speed limits. 75, then kick the speed down five mph once the road sensors sense too much traffic. Of course, that will put a crimp in their ticket writing businesses since they're going to have to have proof that the speed limit was what they said it was.

Great Lakes Roads

Looking at the March 13th letting, there is a project to replace the Ripley Street (SR 51) bridge over I-80/94 in Lake Station. As part of that project, the interchange itself (exit 15) will go from a cloverleaf to a Parclo A-4, meaning that there will be two new traffic signals on SR 51. Oh, and the exit numbers will change in both directions (I-94 WB- from exits 16 and 15 to just 15 & I-94 EB- from exits 15A-B and 16 to 15A and 15B) as well as new and improved signage on I-94.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 27, 2024, 12:58:31 AM
Looking at the March 13th letting, there is a project to replace the Ripley Street (SR 51) bridge over I-80/94 in Lake Station. As part of that project, the interchange itself (exit 15) will go from a cloverleaf to a Parclo A-4, meaning that there will be two new traffic signals on SR 51. Oh, and the exit numbers will change in both directions (I-94 WB- from exits 16 and 15 to just 15 & I-94 EB- from exits 15A-B and 16 to 15A and 15B) as well as new and improved signage on I-94.

So is the exit number where I-80 leaves I-94 to go onto the Indiana Toll Road changing?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 27, 2024, 06:54:44 AM

So is the exit number where I-80 leaves I-94 to go onto the Indiana Toll Road changing?

:nod: The exit number to the Toll Road will switch to exit 15B eastbound and exit 15 westbound...

silverback1065

any links to the plans or a drawing?

nwi_navigator_1181

Even if it isn't the full vision of what the entire Toll Road/Indiana 51 interchange reconstruction originally was, I can already see the benefits of converting the Ripley Street cloverleaf.

It would eliminate the conflicts between traffic entering I-80/94 westbound from the Toll Road AND Ripley Street northbound, and traffic on I-80/94 westbound looking to exit southbound on Ripley Street. A massive struggle during rush hour that can affect the through lanes. It can also create safer and longer acceleration lanes if they build this A4 parclo in the same style as Grant Street and Broadway (C/D style before all traffic merges on the mainline).

As long as they do a C/D eastbound, it can filter out traffic entering the Toll Road from I-80/94 eastbound and traffic entering from Ripley Street Southbound.

The existing ramp from I-94 west to the Toll Road/Ripley Street north can simply be resurfaced and altered to accommodate extra lanes at the end of the ramp, which can save some time and money.

I'm curious to see when this project will take place.

Moving on...

Colorado Street is now closed at the Canadian National Railroad crossing just north of the 69th Avenue roundabout, as work begins to convert the at-grade crossing to an overpass. The closure is in place until June 2025. Local traffic can use 69th Avenue to Mississippi Street and 61st Avenue to detour (inverse order for the opposite direction). Indiana 51 would be another viable alternative, but...

Indiana 51 will be closed to repair the Deep River bridge (located between 61st Avenue and US 30), due to be reopen in August. I-65 between US 30 and I-80/94 will be the detour for this closure, as well as the next one...

The intersection at Indiana 51 and Indiana 130 (south split at Cleveland Street in Hobart) will soon be closed as the lighted intersection will be converted to a single-lane roundabout. Work is set to be completed by this fall.

The South Shore Double Track project is nearing its end. The section between Gary and Dune Park is open to test trains as they test track integrity for speed and traffic density. If all goes well, the line will be open to revenue traffic in May, just in time for summer travel.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

cjw2001

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on March 06, 2024, 07:14:35 PM
According to a story posted on the WISH TV website INDOT will soon be issuing an RFP for improvements to the I 465 and US 31 North interchange including added east/west capacity and other improvements (likely median cable barrier) up to 116th street.

The Interchange Modification Project for US-31 and I-465 in Hamilton County includes the modification of the I-465/US-31 north interchange, seven bridge deck overlays, and related work on US 31 from I-465 to 116th Street in Carmel.  The project will increase capacity for west to north and east to north movements to create better traffic flow and enhance safety.

That interchange is undersized for the traffic. It's crazy how fast that happened, this exit isn't very old.

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 06, 2024, 07:41:58 PM
According to a story posted on the WISH TV website INDOT will soon be issuing an RFP for improvements to the I 465 and US 31 North interchange including added east/west capacity and other improvements (likely median cable barrier) up to 116th street.

The Interchange Modification Project for US-31 and I-465 in Hamilton County includes the modification of the I-465/US-31 north interchange, seven bridge deck overlays, and related work on US 31 from I-465 to 116th Street in Carmel.  The project will increase capacity for west to north and east to north movements to create better traffic flow and enhance safety.

That interchange is undersized for the traffic. It's crazy how fast that happened, this exit isn't very old.
I've always felt that the congestion had more to do with the lack of lanes on 465 to the west -- it is going to backup regardless of the number of lanes on the ramp if there is no capacity on 465 after the merge.  That said it never made sense for that to be a single lane ramp to 465 westbound.

michiganguy123

I think the northbound ramp on keystone ave is crazier, pretty much all 31 traffic is routed onto keystone for the east side of indianapolis and i-65. Probably not a great idea to have a traffic light there instead of a free flow ramp.

boilerup25

Same here, but I can also partially understand some of the undersizing, especially with (mostly free-flow) Keystone Avenue/Keystone Parkway functioning as a parallel US 31, or a long connector between I-465 to/from the east and US 31 to/from the north (but with some intermediate interchanges). Somewhat reminds me of I-865 and its purpose as a connector road.

Moose

Sherman Minton bridge complaints with stuff falling on cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObEfE2UbPWk

74/171FAN

JMoses24

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 08, 2024, 06:50:11 PM
Well that bridge is closed now.

And with that, you have only part of one free crossing left between Louisville and Southern Indiana (the Second Street aka the Clark Memorial Bridge carrying US 31 has been down to a single lane southbound since a truck crashed there last week).

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on March 06, 2024, 09:02:26 PM

I've always felt that the congestion had more to do with the lack of lanes on 465 to the west -- it is going to backup regardless of the number of lanes on the ramp if there is no capacity on 465 after the merge.  That said it never made sense for that to be a single lane ramp to 465 westbound.

It is and it will be fixed as well as an already announced separate project. they will be widening 465 to 8 lanes with aux lanes from 86th to 31 and redoing the 865 interchange.

JoePCool14

Funnily enough, I think I just drove under that overpass today. Naively, I thought they built that for farmer access. Could that actually be why? Or is that just a useful byproduct?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

JREwing78

That section of IN 39 was the main connecting road between I-94 in Michigan and the Toll Road for nearly 10 years (Aug 1963 to Nov. 1972). It is possible that InDOT had plans on the books to add NBD lanes to IN 39 about the time this railroad overpass was constructed.

ITB

Although this is now old news, it may be interest to some. Last year INDOT tried twice to let Contract R -41529-B, which was the contract to build added travel lanes on I-65 in Scott County. Both times, however, the bids were rejected as they were above the engineer's estimate. There was only one bidder for each letting, a joint venture of E & B Paving and Milestone Contractors LP. The first attempt to let the contract was on September 27, 2023, but the Joint Venture's bid of $333,450,000 was, as already noted, rejected. Two months later, on December 6, 2023, INDOT tried again, only to again receive a single bid from the JV, this time for $333,500,000. It took INDOT more than a month to decide but, ultimately, that bid, too, was rejected.

And that's where things stand right now, at least from a public standpoint. How INDOT will proceed is hard to say. Maybe as a first step, they'll bring in an outside cost consultant to reevaluate the project's estimated cost. Or perhaps they'll break up the project into smaller sections, allowing mid-sized companies to put together bids. That the initial contract did not draw more interest most certainly caused angst at INDOT. Having trouble awarding a $300,000,000 contract is, to be sure, a little unusual. No doubt they want the added travel lanes built. But first they need to figure out a way to get the contract or contracts awarded.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.