News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

Looks like some pretty extensive road work is set to be underway on I-80/94 from Central Avenue to the western end of the bridge work zone currently in place east of the Toll Road interchange. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? Seems like full blown pavement restoration, which is not anywhere near as bad as the section of I-94 between Indiana 249 and Indiana 49.

Also, if anyone gives me a link to the letting list so I can have an idea of what's going down this year in my area, I'd greatly appreciate it.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 06, 2014, 12:13:04 AM
Looks like some pretty extensive road work is set to be underway on I-80/94 from Central Avenue to the western end of the bridge work zone currently in place east of the Toll Road interchange. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? Seems like full blown pavement restoration, which is not anywhere near as bad as the section of I-94 between Indiana 249 and Indiana 49.

Also, if anyone gives me a link to the letting list so I can have an idea of what's going down this year in my area, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you are on Facebook, I highly recommend following the INDOT Northwest page.  They provide a lot of information about both long and short term projects.  If you don't see anything about that particular area, you can ask.  The guy who maintains the page is pretty responsive.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ssummers72

The project on I-80/94 from Central Ave to the Toll Road interchange is a HMA overlay project.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: ssummers72 on May 06, 2014, 09:34:36 PM
The project on I-80/94 from Central Ave to the Toll Road interchange is a HMA overlay project.

Thank you for the update. Greatly appreciated.

Also of note: the NWI Times reports that some roads will get total resurface treatment as a result of the brutal winter we just witnessed. Cline Avenue (Indiana 912) is already being worked on for resurfacing between I-80/94 and Michigan Street, which was scheduled for this year regardless of condition. Indiana 49 between the Indiana Toll Road and U.S. 30 is also slated for summer resurfacing. U.S. 20 between I-94 (the Porter interchange, not the Michigan City interchange) and the Porter/LaPorte County line will get resurfaced this summer. The 10+ mile stretch was set for next year, but was bumped up to this year because of the conditions.

Any of you visiting the Indiana Dunes Lakeshore should be aware that U.S. 12 is closed at the Old Hobart Road and CSX bridges in Miller for replacement. The official detour for both directions is U.S. 20 to Indiana 149 North to 12 (vice versa for the opposite direction). However, you can also use County Line Road (no semis) to connect 20 to 12 if you are heading to Ogden Dunes or West Beach, as well as 20 to Indiana 249. The closure is scheduled to last throughout the summer.

nwi_navigator_1181

The Borman-ITR connection will be crippled further next week. The bridge over I-94 will be replaced, but one lane will remain open throughout the duration. Unfortunately, the movement from the eastbound Toll Road to I-94 eastbound will be sacrificed until completion this fall. Those looking to make the movement will be asked to use I-65 (exit 17, the ramp four miles before I-94) to make the connection. The currently demolished ramp connecting the Westbound Toll Road to westbound I-94 (aka I-80) should see activity next week as well. The completion date for that replacement has been reportedly moved up to November. This will put even more pressure on that small stretch of I-65, since I already see a swell of traffic because of the current closure.

The ramp connecting I-94 to the Westbound Toll Road will see its bridge replaced next Spring.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 20, 2014, 10:41:22 PM
The Borman-ITR connection will be crippled further next week. The bridge over I-94 will be replaced, but one lane will remain open throughout the duration. Unfortunately, the movement from the eastbound Toll Road to I-94 eastbound will be sacrificed until completion this fall. Those looking to make the movement will be asked to use I-65 (exit 17, the ramp four miles before I-94) to make the connection. The currently demolished ramp connecting the Westbound Toll Road to westbound I-94 (aka I-80) should see activity next week as well. The completion date for that replacement has been reportedly moved up to November. This will put even more pressure on that small stretch of I-65, since I already see a swell of traffic because of the current closure.

The ramp connecting I-94 to the Westbound Toll Road will see its bridge replaced next Spring.

I am doing Indy-Chicago and back Saturday.  Should I do Borman/Ford or ITR/Skyway to get to the Ryan? 

nwi_navigator_1181

Save for a couple of small, minor construction zones before you get to Illinois, the Toll Road-Skyway connection still trumps Borman-Ford easily coming from Indianapolis. I'd take the Borman-Ford connection going to Indy. By the time you merge on I-65, the detoured traffic would already be off the highway.

ShawnP

!@#!@#!@#!@# the Construction Zone on I-65 between Seymour and Scottsburg.

D@mn idiots have it down to one lane at times on THE major north-south Interstate in the state of Indiana.

Do your best to avoid this cluster fudge this summer.

nwi_navigator_1181

I know I keep bringing up the Toll Road, and I apologize. However, it looks like that's where most of the action is in my area.

On top of everything I mentioned previously, extensive rehabilitation will begin as early as next week at the Salt Creek bridges, located between the Portage Toll Barrier and Indiana 149. During construction, a reversible lane system will be implemented, where rush-hour traffic will have two lanes while off-peak traffic will have only one lane open throughout the zone. Expect this to last throughout the summer.

Good news: the bridge rehab on I-94 east of the Toll Road exchange (over U.S. 20) is in its final phase. Next week, the outer portion of the westbound bridge will be worked on, and this project may see midsummer completion.

NWI_Irish96

So this weekend I made a round trip covering 99% of I-65 in Indiana.  Maybe it was just because it was Holiday weekend, but we ended up having to constantly pass cars on the right because people were driving in the passing lane.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that we probably averaged having to do this once every five minutes.  More than half of these cars had Illinois plates.  Maybe Indiana (and other states) need to put up periodic signs reminding people to keep their asses in the right lane when they are not passing.

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 26, 2014, 07:39:32 AM
So this weekend I made a round trip covering 99% of I-65 in Indiana.  Maybe it was just because it was Holiday weekend, but we ended up having to constantly pass cars on the right because people were driving in the passing lane.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that we probably averaged having to do this once every five minutes.  More than half of these cars had Illinois plates.  Maybe Indiana (and other states) need to put up periodic signs reminding people to keep their asses in the right lane when they are not passing.

That doesn't shock me, people do that every time I use 65, I am surprised the people were from Illinois.  Whenever I use 65, the fastest drivers are always the Illinois drivers!

ysuindy

It's a common occurrence around Indy.  The emptiest lane in morning rush hour on 465 southbound on the East Side is the right lane.  People just move to the center two lanes and hold up traffic. 

trafficsignal

No surprise to me, I remember frequent drives from Purdue to Indy with at least one or two Illinois drivers stuck in the left lane doing 70 exactly, with a wide open right lane next to them.  Infuriating.

Brandon

Quote from: trafficsignal on May 27, 2014, 09:10:53 AM

No surprise to me, I remember frequent drives from Purdue to Indy with at least one or two Illinois drivers stuck in the left lane doing 70 exactly, with a wide open right lane next to them.  Infuriating.

The stupid thing is, Illinois has a keep right law.  It's paid about as much attention to as any other traffic law in Illinois, specifically Chicagoland.  There's a reason the middle letter in "FIB" is for Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

silverback1065

Some indiana news: ronald reagan pwky has funding for the stretch between 30th st and i-74. Also sr 267 will be getting a new name in avon soon they have a survey monkey link out to submit 3 names of your choice. Anyone familiar with the area have any ideas for the new name?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

silverback1065

tdindy88

Now it's time for Bloomington and Monroe County to get in on the decommissioning action!

http://wishtv.com/2014/05/30/state-looks-to-give-up-some-bloomington-area-roads/

May be time to say goodbye to SR 446, SR 48 (don't worry two stretches of that highway will remain elsewhere :D) and SR 45. No word on how Greene, Brown and Lawrence Counties will react to their stretches.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 30, 2014, 06:23:41 PM
Now it's time for Bloomington and Monroe County to get in on the decommissioning action!

http://wishtv.com/2014/05/30/state-looks-to-give-up-some-bloomington-area-roads/

May be time to say goodbye to SR 446, SR 48 (don't worry two stretches of that highway will remain elsewhere :D) and SR 45. No word on how Greene, Brown and Lawrence Counties will react to their stretches.

So SR 45 and 446 will no longer exist at all? 

billtm

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 30, 2014, 06:23:41 PM

Oh goodness!  :wow: I hope this doesn't happen!  :banghead:  :ded:

Except for IN 48. I can understand that decision. (One less random segment to deal with! :pan: )

silverback1065

45 makes sense since it is mostly being replaced by 69, i don't understand the 446 idea.  Why don't they rid themselves of 57?  It's completely useless now!

nwi_navigator_1181

I-94 is undergoing more repairs in the wake of this past winter. Repaving is in progress from Indiana 249 to the Michigan state line (with gaps in between). One lane will stay closed at all times with 45 mph speed limits. If you're making the journey to Michigan, it's probably best just to take US 20 and connect to US 12 anywhere east of Indiana 249 (because of the US 12 closure I mentioned earlier up thread).

tdindy88

The only thing not right about SR 446 going away is it's access to state recreational areas along Lake Monroe, plus Hardin Ridge and the Hoosier National Forest. I'm not sure if it's entirely law or not, but it seems that the state has gone out of the way to make sure DNR properties are connected to the state highway system. SRs 369, 264 and 364 among a few others exist solely for that purpose. That said, no one will probably miss SR 48, which I would bet most people call 3rd Street anyway and SR 45 will have I-69 supersede it. I'm just not sure how that highway's truncation will go in the neighboring counties as this appears to be an arrangement with Monroe County only. Nothing's a done deal though it seems.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 31, 2014, 05:48:40 PM
The only thing not right about SR 446 going away is it's access to state recreational areas along Lake Monroe, plus Hardin to and the Hoosier National Forest. I'm not sure if it's entirely law or not, but it seems that the state has gone out of the way to make sure DNR properties are connected to the state highway system. SRs 369, 264 and 364 among a few others exist solely for that purpose. That said, no one will probably miss SR 48, which I would bet most people call 3rd Street anyway and SR 45 will have I-69 supersede it. I'm just not sure how that highway's truncation will go in the neighboring counties as this appears to be an arrangement with Monroe County only. Nothing's a done deal though it seems.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them decommission the three you mentioned as well (minor correction: 269 not 369 over at Harmonie). But keep in mind that all roads inside state park boundaries are still considered state highways; they just aren't numbered.  Not sure how they'd do that with 446.

As for 45 and 57, they should get the ax as well, but it will be a question of if the counties feel they can maintain the added mileage. I don't see too many SW Indiana counties bragging that they have too much road money!

andy

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on May 31, 2014, 10:41:45 PM
As for 45 and 57, they should get the ax as well, but it will be a question of if the counties feel they can maintain the added mileage. I don't see too many SW Indiana counties bragging that they have too much road money!

I'm not sure why Monroe county would want to take over 45 SW of the city.  There is a lot along the road and the first I-69 exit west SR 37 doesn't effectively serve any of Monroe County. ( :-o, that's probably another story.)   Also interesting is that the two exchanges between SR-37 and US-231 are both tied to 45.  The first, a stub to 45 and 54 could be renamed from 445 to some ?54.  But, making 45 a county road could be seen as a down grade for those exchanges.

Probably because I live near it, I don't agree 57 is useless.  If so, I suppose 52 from Lebanon to Lafayette, US 40 and US 31 should also be axed.  Or do those get special exemption for being US routes?

tdindy88

Yeah, the U.S. highway thing forces INDOT to keep those highways around. But even with that, as I pointed out earlier on another thread, SR 46 follows parts of I-74, SR 68 follows I-64, and SR 42 follows I-70.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.