News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unnecessary control cities

Started by dvferyance, June 23, 2016, 08:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 15, 2016, 04:21:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2016, 01:50:25 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2016, 10:41:07 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on July 14, 2016, 09:06:09 PM
It could use Champaign. It couldn't use Bloomington or Danville because Indiana has cities called that.

Danville wouldn't make any sense, as it's not a major interstate junction. But they could always tack the state name on the end, like Tennessee does for Jackson, Miss., in the Memphis area, to distinguish it from Jackson, Tenn.

Or as Illinois itself does for Nashville IL.

Or as Virginia does for Rocky Mount, NC on I-95.
Or as West Virginia does for Roanoke, VA on I-81.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hbelkins

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 15, 2016, 04:42:08 PM
Or as West Virginia does for Roanoke, VA on I-81.

West Virginia tends to do that on all its interstates for out-of-state destinations.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on July 15, 2016, 04:21:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2016, 01:50:25 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2016, 10:41:07 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on July 14, 2016, 09:06:09 PM
It could use Champaign. It couldn't use Bloomington or Danville because Indiana has cities called that.

Danville wouldn't make any sense, as it's not a major interstate junction. But they could always tack the state name on the end, like Tennessee does for Jackson, Miss., in the Memphis area, to distinguish it from Jackson, Tenn.

Or as Illinois itself does for Nashville IL.

Or as Virginia does for Rocky Mount, NC on I-95.

Virginia also uses "Charlotte NC" for I-77 South at both I-81/I-77 splits in Wytheville and Fort Chiswell, presumably to distinguish Charlotte from Charlottesville.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but another unneccessary control city is Kenly in NC. It's used as one of the control cities (the other being Goldsboro) for I-795 southbound where I-795 leaves US-264 in Wilson, heading south towards Goldsboro, since the US-301 (which goes to Kenly) exit on I-795 is close by the I-795/US-264 split.

It makes no sense to use Kenly for I-795 since almost everybody on eastbound US-264 going to Kenly would simply take I-95 South. The I-795 BGS at the split should read:

I-795 South
Goldsboro
Wilmington

I-795/US-117 serves as a shortcut to Wilmington for tourists and truck traffic via a connection to I-40 near Faison.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

mrsman

Quote from: TheStranger on July 12, 2016, 08:27:28 PM
Quote from: djsekani on July 12, 2016, 02:52:05 AM
Quote from: dfwmapper on July 10, 2016, 12:27:13 AM

Where is LA/Riverside used as a control city on SB I-215? I don't think I've ever seen LA, only Riverside, but I can't say I've ever spent much time on I-215 except for the overlap with CA 60.

Here's a street view from the westbound 210. This one is just really weird to me since you can get to Los Angeles going straight ahead on the 210, but I guess they want everyone to take the 215 south to the 10 or 60 freeways. Also this is the only place on the 215 where I've seen Los Angeles as a control city.

My guess is that this is a relic from when the Route 30 freeway (now part of the completed 210) only extended from just west of 215 to Redlands; in that case, the nearest east-west route at the time back to LA was indeed 215 south to 10 west.  This was true even ca. 2001:
https://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/us_2001/california_ref_2001.pdf

The old 30 freeway was a connector from Redlands - Highland - San Bernardino.  At the I-10 junction in Redlands, the control city for the 30 freeway was Highland, but it now reads as 210 to Pasadena.  Once in the city of San Bernardino, the westbound control for the 30 freeway used to be Los Angeles and traffic was guided down the unsigned 259 freeway to the 215 to the 10.  Traffic from the mountains is also directed that way from CA-18 to head back to L.A.

In historical CA control signing practice, LA and SF are such huge magnets that any road that even hints at the direction of either LA or SF will have LA or SF as the control, even if the road itself doesn't go there all the way.  Some are relics of old routings that did head into the city (I-15 used to have a LA control from the NV border all the way to I-10, this nearly matched US 66).  Others never really did (CA-30 freeway, CA-91 freeway, CA-126).  Historically, these roads may eventually link up with I-5 or some other road that gets you directly there.  If you keep following every last sign to LA, you will reach the 4-level interchange.

Nowadays, they are stepping away from that - a little too much. There is no good reason for LA to be removed from I-5 NB in southern OC to be replaced by Santa Ana.

With the completion of the 210 freeway, most of the westbound controls on the 210 now say Pasadena - but some relics can be found that still say LA.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1434067,-117.2524072,3a,75y,203.18h,92.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHvPj_8AqCdZK2-8MBzoCDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

roadman65

West Palm Beach is the NB control city on US 98 & FL 80 at I-95.  The funny thing is that the interchange is located in West Palm Beach so having it there is totally unnecessary.  Lets take another road into the very same place we are in makes a whole lot of sense.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Gnutella

Personally, I'm in favor of using two control cities whenever the nearest major city is very far away, or if there's a very large city along the route. Here's how I'd do the control cities on I-80 between Youngstown and New York:

I-80 EASTBOUND

OH Exit 218 to OH Exit 234

Sharon
New York

OH Exit 234 to PA Exit 161

State College
New York

PA Exit 161 to PA Exit 178

Williamsport
New York

PA Exit 178 to PA Exit 261

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
New York

(TO I-84 East | New England | USE I-81 North)

PA Exit 261 to PA Exit 307

East Stroudsburg
New York

PA Exit 307 to NJ Exit 60

New York

NJ Exit 60 to NJ Exit 68

TO I-95

George Washington Br
New York

I-80 WESTBOUND

NJ Exit 68 to NJ Exit 60

Paterson
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

NJ Exit 60 to PA Exit 307

East Stroudsburg
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

PA Exit 307 to PA Exit 294

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
Cleveland

PA Exit 294 to PA Exit 284

Wilkes-Barre
Cleveland

PA Exit 284 to PA Exit 211

Williamsport
Cleveland

PA Exit 211 to PA Exit 161

State College
Cleveland

(TO U.S. 22 West | Pittsburgh | USE I-99 South)

PA Exit 161 to PA Exit 4

Sharon
Cleveland

PA Exit 4 to OH Exit 229

Youngstown
Cleveland

OH Exit 229 to OH Exit 218

Akron
Cleveland

And here's how I'd do the control cities on the Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpikes:

TURNPIKES EASTBOUND

East to IN Exit 77

South Bend
Cleveland

IN Exit 77 to OH Exit 64

Toledo
Cleveland

OH Exit 64 to OH Exit 142

Cleveland

OH Exit 142 to OH Exit 173

Akron
Pittsburgh

OH Exit 173 to OH Exit 218

Youngstown
Pittsburgh

OH Exit 218 to PA Exit 28

Pittsburgh

PA Exit 28 to PA Exit 75

Harrisburg
Philadelphia

PA Exit 75 to PA Exit 161

Baltimore
Washington DC
Harrisburg
Philadelphia

(I-70 East | Baltimore | Washington DC || I-76 East | Harrisburg | Philadelphia)

PA Exit 161 to PA Exit 242

Harrisburg
Philadelphia

PA Exit 242 to PA Exit 326

Philadelphia

PA Exit 326 to PA Exit 351

Trenton
New York

PA Exit 351 to PA Exit 356

To I-95

Trenton
New York

PA Exit 356 to NJ Exit 6

New York

TURNPIKES WESTBOUND

NJ Exit 6 to PA Exit 356

Philadelphia

PA Exit 356 to PA Exit 247

Harrisburg
Pittsburgh

PA Exit 247 to PA Exit 161

Pittsburgh

PA Exit 161 to PA Exit 75

Columbus
Pittsburgh

(I-70 West | Columbus || I-76 West | Pittsburgh)

PA Exit 75 to PA Exit 57

Pittsburgh

PA Exit 57 to OH Exit 234

Youngstown
Cleveland

OH Exit 234 to OH Exit 218

Akron
Cleveland

OH Exit 218 to OH Exit 173

Cleveland

OH Exit 173 to OH Exit 64

Toledo
Chicago

OH Exit 64 to IN Exit 77

South Bend
Chicago

IN Exit 77 and West

Chicago

epzik8

Before construction of I-74 in southeastern North Carolina started, the crossing between I-95 and U.S. Route 74 south of Lumberton was a simple diamond interchange, Exit 14. The control cities were Maxton and Laurinburg, both of which are located westbound on U.S. 74 from the I-95 interchange. I would have replaced one of those cities with Whiteville, which is an eastbound city. That exit has been dismantled and that section of U.S. 74 is now Alternate U.S. 74. Mainline U.S. 74 is now concurrent with I-74 along that existing segment of I-74. The control cities on the signs along I-95 proper are Rockingham and Wilmington, while second control cities in both directions along the collector-distributor lanes are Laurinburg and Whiteville. This newer interchange is Exit 13. Exit 14 has been dismantled, but the accompanying frontage roads stemming from Alternate U.S. 74 still form the shape of the old diamond interchange.

A former example - or so I thought - in my neck of the woods was Exit 80 off I-95 in Maryland, for Maryland Route 543. The old Highway Gothic signs had the destination towns as Churchville and Riverside. MD-543 doesn't go through Churchville. However, I recently realized that drivers can take MD-543 north from I-95 to MD-136 at Creswell, and then follow 136 up to the MD-22 intersection, which is the Churchville crossroads. However, Churchville was also mentioned in both directions at the next two exits, 85 (MD-22) and 89 (MD-155). MD-155's western terminus is in Churchville as well. But now I realize that maybe only Aberdeen and Havre de Grace should have been listed northbound on the other two exits, because of the 543 to 136 thing for northbound drivers. Exit 85 still says Churchville-Aberdeen in both directions. Churchville has been removed from 80 and 89 with the Clearview update; they now say Belcamp (the same place as Riverside) and Havre de Grace.

How about a traffic circle? Maryland Routes 273 and 276 on the west end of Rising Sun. The control point for MD-273 west from either direction of MD-276 is a hamlet called Harrisville. However, that traffic circle actually is Harrisville. It should just say "MD-273 west to U.S. 1".
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

ftballfan

Ludington being the northbound control city at US-31's exit 166. PM Highway is a shorter route into Ludington than using the US-31 freeway. Manistee or even Traverse City would be a better control city at that exit

roadman65

I do not know why PennDOT in Oxford Valley, PA continues to use "Trenton" for I-95 Northbound from US 1 at the cloverleaf interchange at that location.  Trenton is directly north on US 1 and therefore "New York" should be used or even "Princeton" would be better.  Also on I-95 at the very same interchange there is no mention of Trenton for US 1 north at all either.  You follow the control city of "Trenton" out of Philadelphia on I-95 and you end up doubling back on NJ 29 once inside NJ.  Exiting at US 1 would be most direct from that interchange!

Also in Enola, PA on US 11 & 15 the city of Harrisburg is used for I-81 N Bound when its completely useless there.  Harrisburg is east of Wormleysburg several miles to the south of that said interchange.  Yes true the actual exits for Harrisburg on I-81 are the first two exits north of US 11 & 15 in Enola, but I think it safe to assume to start using "Hazleton" being most traffic there on US 11 & 15 are locals who know where Harrisburg is anyhow.

Oh, then there is "Apopka" on US 441 at FL 414 in Lockhart, FL.  Considering US 441 is Apopka's main street just a few miles north of that particular interchange, then no one needs to enter the FL 414 toll road to get there from there at all.  In fact the two exits signed for Apopka on FL 414 have its second exit signed along FL 459 which leads to US 441 again on the far side of the said city only to have you double back the other way.  So going NB on US 441, you see the sign for Apopka to use WB FL 414. You get on the freeway to use two exits.  If your choice is number two, you travel north on FL 459 and then back south on US 441 coming into the city from the opposite side.  Real smart! 

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

Anybody who knows me know I have a pet peeve about Grenada and McComb being used as control cities on I-55 in Mississippi. Grenada is often co-signed with Memphis, and McComb with New Orleans. I don't know the history, but I wonder if the interstate wasn't finished all the way to Memphis and New Orleans; thus, travelers had to turn off at the aforementioned locations. This is why Pascagoula is signed on I-10 EB at Mobile. I-10 was finished all the way through MS, so travelers had to get off at Pascagoula onto US 90.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: Quillz on July 15, 2016, 01:28:34 AM
I've always been a bit baffled why I-405 NB uses "Sacramento" as a control city. I mean, it makes sense in that I-405 flows onto I-5, which in turn goes to Sacramento, but it seems like a city actually reachable via the 405 would make more sense. Perhaps San Fernando, Sylmar? (And of course, the entire 405 is also the "San Diego Freeway," another odd choice). I believe the SB control city in the valley is Santa Monica, a much better choice than Sacramento.

US-395 still has "San Diego" as a control city in the High Desert area, but this is a holdover from the days when it did reach the city.

I think for Navigating Purposes it makes sense to have the 405 North have the same Control City at the 5 considering it is really headed towards there.  Just like the 60 West Uses Los Angeles, and the 14 South uses Los Angeles but you still have to take the 5 to get there, or 99 south ect.

Also the 405 was named the San Diego Freeway intentionally, the reason behind it was the 405 was considered a bypass for Los Angeles when it was being built and having it named the San Diego Freeway helped with guiding people towards San Diego from points further north.

TheStranger

Quote from: Interstate Trav on August 26, 2016, 11:53:53 AM
I've always been a bit baffled why I-405 NB uses "Sacramento" as a control city. I mean, it makes sense in that I-405 flows onto I-5, which in turn goes to Sacramento, but it seems like a city actually reachable via the 405 would make more sense. Perhaps San Fernando, Sylmar? (And of course, the entire 405 is also the "San Diego Freeway," another odd choice). I believe the SB control city in the valley is Santa Monica, a much better choice than Sacramento.

US-395 still has "San Diego" as a control city in the High Desert area, but this is a holdover from the days when it did reach the city.

I think for Navigating Purposes it makes sense to have the 405 North have the same Control City at the 5 considering it is really headed towards there.  Just like the 60 West Uses Los Angeles, and the 14 South uses Los Angeles but you still have to take the 5 to get there, or 99 south ect.

I agree, though I totally see Quillz's point - long-distance control cities are somewhat inconsistent with the local emphasis (sometimes too local) for most destinations on LA/Orange County freeways.  405 at this point has been way more of a local commute route for years, and the nearby 210 is signed for San Fernando (its western terminus) at least once.

Also the 405 was named the San Diego Freeway intentionally, the reason behind it was the 405 was considered a bypass for Los Angeles when it was being built and having it named the San Diego Freeway helped with guiding people towards San Diego from points further north.

It was first named the Sepulveda Freeway in the early 1950s (back when the nearby surface street lent its name to the parallel freeways being built, i.e. Ramona Parkway, Cahuenga Parkway, Colorado Freeway) before being shifted to the "San Diego" name ca. 1956-1957.  the Foothill Freeway is the only vestige of the parallel-street naming (the Golden State Freeway is named after US 99's overall moniker of Golden State Highway that does appear on surface streets in the Central Valley, but parallels San Fernando Road) still in use today, while the late-1940s Santa Ana Freeway was the first to receive a destination-based appellation.

Chris Sampang

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on August 09, 2016, 03:08:35 AM
I do not know why PennDOT in Oxford Valley, PA continues to use "Trenton" for I-95 Northbound from US 1 at the cloverleaf interchange at that location.  Trenton is directly north on US 1 and therefore "New York" should be used or even "Princeton" would be better.  Also on I-95 at the very same interchange there is no mention of Trenton for US 1 north at all either.  You follow the control city of "Trenton" out of Philadelphia on I-95 and you end up doubling back on NJ 29 once inside NJ.  Exiting at US 1 would be most direct from that interchange!
The signs for I-95 North off US 1 Southbound were changed to list Princeton as a destination at least a decade ago.

For some reason, the exit signs along US 1 Northbound weren't changed (but the southbound I-95 signs were changed from Central Philadelphia to just Philadelphia (the former was greened out).

Why US 1 northbound isn't signed for Trenton (Morrisville is used instead) is unknown (or IMHO, PennDOT just being PennDOT).  It certainly should be.  I-95 northbound, Somerset Freeway or no Somerset Freeway should not be signed for Trenton from this interchange (Exit 46A-B) & northward.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

I think north of this interchange it should be "Princeton" although many argue that it don't go there, but its in the vicinity of where I-95 and I-295 meet.  Lawrence is not well known and is a large township that just covers areas in between Trenton and Princeton. 

I am also not in favor of using "Ewing" on NB I-295 mileage signs starting from the Deepwater Rest Area that does not even mention Trenton, that is I-295 Northbound's primary control city.  Ewing is a suburb of Trenton and it is odd they use a shadow of a larger well known city to make as a point of control.  It should be "Trenton" all the way up to Exit 60 and then Ewing could be fine, although the last mileage sign is north of US 130 in Bordentown so I guess my suggestion now is not applicable.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

Quote from: roadman65 on August 26, 2016, 01:15:09 PM
I think north of this interchange it should be "Princeton" although many argue that it don't go there, but its in the vicinity of where I-95 and I-295 meet.  Lawrence is not well known and is a large township that just covers areas in between Trenton and Princeton. 

I am also not in favor of using "Ewing" on NB I-295 mileage signs starting from the Deepwater Rest Area that does not even mention Trenton, that is I-295 Northbound's primary control city.  Ewing is a suburb of Trenton and it is odd they use a shadow of a larger well known city to make as a point of control.  It should be "Trenton" all the way up to Exit 60 and then Ewing could be fine, although the last mileage sign is north of US 130 in Bordentown so I guess my suggestion now is not applicable.

I agree.  Princeton as the control city for I-95 north of US 1 signifies the role that I-95 here serves as a BYPASS of central Trenton.  It should absolutely be signed consistently from US1/I-95 northward to at least the US 206 interchange.

As someone who frequently uses I-295 as a shunpike route to bypass the southern NJTP, I wish that Camden and Trenton were on the mileage signs and even NYC every now and again.  To the extent that NYC is used as a mileage sign control on NJTP (or parallel route), what is the mileage referening?  I mean if the sign says 150 miles to NYC, are we measuring to Staten Island or to the Holland, Lincoln, or GWB, or to a point somewhere within the city limits?

TheStranger

Quote from: mrsman on October 20, 2016, 08:02:00 AM
I mean if the sign says 150 miles to NYC, are we measuring to Staten Island or to the Holland, Lincoln, or GWB, or to a point somewhere within the city limits?

In general, aren't those "xx miles to x city" signs referring to the distance to that city's downtown or city hall?

i.e. the distance marked to San Francisco from I-80 westbound in Pinole is about 27 miles, even though there are only 26 miles left on the Interstate and I-80 reaches SF city limits in Treasure Island (Exit 4) and has first access to the central business district at the Fremont Street ramp (exit 2D).

Chris Sampang

tckma

Quote from: TheStranger on October 20, 2016, 12:03:17 PM
I mean if the sign says 150 miles to NYC, are we measuring to Staten Island or to the Holland, Lincoln, or GWB, or to a point somewhere within the city limits?

In general, aren't those "xx miles to x city" signs referring to the distance to that city's downtown or city hall?

That depends.  I know there is a state law in Massachusetts stating the distance to Boston on any mileage sign must reflect the distance to the State House.  I don't know about any other legislation in other areas, but I am sure it exists.

roadman

Quote from: tckma on October 20, 2016, 12:11:34 PM

That depends.  I know there is a state law in Massachusetts stating the distance to Boston on any mileage sign must reflect the distance to the State House.  I don't know about any other legislation in other areas, but I am sure it exists.

Actually, the reference point for mileage in Boston was the Federal Custom House, and not the Massachusetts State House.  Although this was known practice, I don't recall ever seeing actual an actual Legislative Act requiring it.  And, yes, the currently accepted practice is for distances displayed on post-interchange distance signs to be measured to the established town or city center (typically the town hall) in the community.  However, in the past, many toll roads and other agencies would show the distances from the sign to either the town/city border or the first interchange serving that community.  This initially raised some eyebrows when MassHighway updated their post-interchange distance signs back in 2004, when you wound up with (to quote my favorite example) a distance sign reading Stoneham 3 that is located after an advance interchange sign reading Stoneham 1 Mile.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Funny.  At tours of the State House in Boston, they said that the mileages on the Pike to Boston were to the gold dome of the State House.

...not that I'd be surprised if they were just telling tales out of school...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: TheStranger on August 26, 2016, 12:37:23 PM

I agree, though I totally see Quillz's point - long-distance control cities are somewhat inconsistent with the local emphasis (sometimes too local) for most destinations on LA/Orange County freeways.  405 at this point has been way more of a local commute route for years, and the nearby 210 is signed for San Fernando (its western terminus) at least once.

It was first named the Sepulveda Freeway in the early 1950s (back when the nearby surface street lent its name to the parallel freeways being built, i.e. Ramona Parkway, Cahuenga Parkway, Colorado Freeway) before being shifted to the "San Diego" name ca. 1956-1957.  the Foothill Freeway is the only vestige of the parallel-street naming (the Golden State Freeway is named after US 99's overall moniker of Golden State Highway that does appear on surface streets in the Central Valley, but parallels San Fernando Road) still in use today, while the late-1940s Santa Ana Freeway was the first to receive a destination-based appellation.

I do remember the 405 had the name for the Sepulveda Freeway, just like the 10 in East Los Angeles was originally the Ramona Freeway for a little bit if I'm not mistaken for Ramona blvd, and I think both were changed for there destination.

I agree the 405 is a commuter route, but it can be considered a through route as well.  The 210 is now signed for Sacramento if I'm not mistaken.  but I understand your point.  On a mileage sign on 405 north in the valley it lists Santa Clarita -huge commute point- Bakersfield and Sacramento. 

One I think is not the greatest is the 210 east only being signed for Redlands and not mentioning Palm Springs or Indio once you reach San Bernardino.

Interstate Trav

I know most cities in California it's listed to Downtown, in Nevada, Las Vegas is listed as 41 miles from Primm and thats the mileage to Downtown Las Vegas.

Same with Los Angeles, it's usually the Downtown interchange that is used.

TheStranger

Quote from: Interstate Trav on October 20, 2016, 04:32:44 PM

I agree the 405 is a commuter route, but it can be considered a through route as well.  The 210 is now signed for Sacramento if I'm not mistaken.  but I understand your point.  On a mileage sign on 405 north in the valley it lists Santa Clarita -huge commute point- Bakersfield and Sacramento. 

I think 210 is signed for Sacramento only from 134 to 5, i.e. this:

https://goo.gl/maps/2gMQXv9MWDx

It's signed for Pasadena westbound as far west as Route 19:

https://goo.gl/maps/8727iryEsuC2

Quote from: Interstate Trav on October 20, 2016, 04:32:44 PM

One I think is not the greatest is the 210 east only being signed for Redlands and not mentioning Palm Springs or Indio once you reach San Bernardino.

Other than all the signs pointing to Sacramento/I-5 north (i.e. 210, 405), long-distance controls don't seem to be emphasized much in the LA metro area and the Inland Empire, especially in comparison to other parts of the state.
Chris Sampang

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on October 20, 2016, 12:29:23 PM
Funny.  At tours of the State House in Boston, they said that the mileages on the Pike to Boston were to the gold dome of the State House.

...not that I'd be surprised if they were just telling tales out of school...

Sure, why not?  Tour guides have made up about half the etymologies of words.  Especially anything related to shipbuilding or the navy.

roadfro

Quote from: Interstate Trav on October 20, 2016, 04:34:07 PM

I know most cities in California it's listed to Downtown, in Nevada, Las Vegas is listed as 41 miles from Primm and thats the mileage to Downtown Las Vegas.

Same with Los Angeles, it's usually the Downtown interchange that is used.

Apologies for the bump. Just now reading this thread, and wanted to comment on this.

NDOT's general policy is to use the distance to the community's city center or city hall. In cases of small rural towns without a business district or city hall, the post office location is sometimes used. However, my informal observation along freeways is that a distance to a particular interchange is used.

Regarding the Las Vegas distance mentioned: For Las Vegas, NDOT uses the I-15/I-515/US 93/US 95 "Spaghetti Bowl" interchange as the origin point for Las Vegas, which is located generally in Downtown. For the mileage sign on I-15 north, it is indeed 41 miles to the bowl at that point. From that same point it is actually about 36 miles to Las Vegas proper, and is only about 26 miles to the urban limit of what is commonly considered Las Vegas (chalk this up to the distinction between incorporated city limit versus the unincorporated Las Vegas area townships that use mailing addresses of "Las Vegas").
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.