Roads that change suffixes MULTIPLE times.

Started by kenarmy, February 14, 2021, 07:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenarmy

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3384696,-90.2133128,17.61z

This road in Jackson is labeled as Summit Street, Summit Drive, and Summit Avenue (view on GSV)
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

kenarmy

Maybe a better example since this got crickets: Grand River Ave in Michigan changes to Grand River Highway and also Grand River Road briefly.

bzakharin

It's odd that this thread didn't catch on. I was looking for a thread like this before starting one myself. This roadway in Cherry Hill, NJ used to change from Coolidge LA to Coolidge DR to Coolidge RD on three consecutive intersections for no apparent reason. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9320369,-75.0069439,3a,75y,86.84h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sBDPx8E3aepGk0fM7iEJ0Wg!2e0!5s20190801T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Sometime in the last couple of years the specific blade my GSV link is pointing to was changed from LA to RD. It still changes suffixes multiple times because the DR blade in the middle was not replaced. Google calls it "Coolidge Road" which makes sense on the one hand because that's what most of the blades now say, but on the other hand, all other roads in that neighborhood are either lanes or drives (with the exception of Columbia Blvd).

US 89

In Atlanta, Peachtree St becomes Peachtree Rd becomes Peachtree Blvd, which becomes Peachtree Industrial Blvd at the Gwinnett County line.

mrsman

I don't understand why this phenomena exists, but it does make an interesting discussion topic.

Colorado Blvd in Pasadena, CA (where the Rose Parade runs on New Year's Day) and in the Eagle Rock section of L.A. is Colorado Street in nearby Glendale.

The westernmost blocks of Olympic Blvd in Santa Monica, CA is known as Olympic Drive.

1995hoo

Does the road have to keep the same name and just change its suffix? Or can it change both? The road that's coming to mind is that in Charlottesville, Ivy Road becomes University Avenue, which in turn becomes Main Street. So it changes "suffix," but I kind of doubt that's what you have in mind.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DTComposer

In Santa Clara County, CA, former US-101/CA-82 is Monterey Road in San Jose, becomes Monterey Highway as it moves south (although both Road and Highway seem to be used in this area), then Monterey Road into Morgan Hill, then Monterey Street in Gilroy (with a discontiguous section at the end being Monterey Road just for fun).

kenarmy

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 17, 2023, 08:47:43 AM
Does the road have to keep the same name and just change its suffix? Or can it change both? The road that's coming to mind is that in Charlottesville, Ivy Road becomes University Avenue, which in turn becomes Main Street. So it changes "suffix," but I kind of doubt that's what you have in mind.
Yes, I was looking for same road name and just a different suffix. Unless the SAME road changes both name and suffix but reverts back to the original name with a different suffix.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.