News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Drastic Changes Of The Same Location On GSV

Started by CoreySamson, March 29, 2021, 10:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bm7

Picher, Oklahoma: 2008, 2023.

Christchurch, New Zealand before and after the 2010/2011 earthquakes: 2007, 2023.

pderocco

In browsing some of the old posts in this thread, I'm surprised to find that a lot of the old stuff is no longer available in GSV. I had never noticed that they were ditching any of the crappy old 2007-9 imagery, because most places I look still have it. But some places have been stripped of more than just the oldest blurry stuff.

I don't understand why Google Maps has historical street view and only current aerial, and Google Earth has historical aerial and only current street view.

1995hoo

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 30, 2021, 04:15:15 AM
My favorites are when freeway construction happens. See for example 2009 vs 2019.

Heh. How about the Capital Beltway's Inner Loop approaching I-66 in June 2008 (prior to HO/T lane construction on the Beltway) and earlier this month (after HO/T lane construction on I-66)–although I'm somewhat surprised by how little traffic there is in the latter photo. Or, at the same overall interchange, eastbound I-66 between the two sides of the Beltway in June 2008 versus July 2023.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tmoore952

I'm not checking out the images, but I imagine you can add Lahaina, Hawaii to this list, now and forevermore.

tmoore952

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2023, 04:37:53 PM
My favorites are when freeway construction happens. See for example 2009 vs 2019.

Heh. How about the Capital Beltway's Inner Loop approaching I-66 in June 2008 (prior to HO/T lane construction on the Beltway) and earlier this month (after HO/T lane construction on I-66)–although I'm somewhat surprised by how little traffic there is in the latter photo. Or, at the same overall interchange, eastbound I-66 between the two sides of the Beltway in June 2008 versus July 2023.
Maybe the latter photo was taken early on a weekend morning. That's about the only time I can think of when traffic would be light there, barring a bad accident a couple miles upstream.

1995hoo

Quote from: tmoore952 on August 30, 2023, 05:00:40 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2023, 04:37:53 PM

Maybe the latter photo was taken early on a weekend morning. That's about the only time I can think of when traffic would be light there, barring a bad accident a couple miles upstream.

Could be, although the $7.50 toll for the I-66 HO/T lanes suggests a slightly busier time. I just panned the image around and I think the Google driver was just lucky to be between clumps of vehicles right then.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pderocco

Quote from: tmoore952 on August 30, 2023, 04:54:05 PM
I'm not checking out the images, but I imagine you can add Lahaina, Hawaii to this list, now and forevermore.

They don't have GSV yet, naturally, but they have some pretty terrifying aerial imagery.

Henry

Inglewood, CA, where SoFi Stadium is now: 2016 and 2022
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

RM42

Quote from: pderocco on August 29, 2023, 03:53:31 PM
In browsing some of the old posts in this thread, I'm surprised to find that a lot of the old stuff is no longer available in GSV. I had never noticed that they were ditching any of the crappy old 2007-9 imagery, because most places I look still have it. But some places have been stripped of more than just the oldest blurry stuff.

I don't understand why Google Maps has historical street view and only current aerial, and Google Earth has historical aerial and only current street view.

Where did this happen? Sometimes it glitches and you have to cross to the other direction or move down one click to get the old stuff back.

TheCatalyst31

The near east side of Madison, Wisconsin: 2011 vs. 2022

RM42

andrepoiy

debragga

In Crandall TX, tiny dirt road County Road 260 with nothing there but trees turned into paved Evans Rd with the entrance to a large subdivision.

2013 vs 2022

There's also one from 2020 when there weren't many houses near the entrance of the subdivision yet

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.