News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Furthest apart places in the US where the ideal route involves little Interstate

Started by Ellie, August 22, 2023, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 02, 2023, 09:11:29 AM
Tell me how you know Belvidere, Illinois would be my first destination if/whenever I make it to the USA :sombrero:.

Because you want to visit the birthplace of the Omni and Horizon?   :-D

therocket

Phoenix to Reno only needs Interstate with I-11/515 in Vegas and I-580 in Carson City-Reno.

pderocco

Quote from: therocket on September 03, 2023, 07:56:50 PM
Phoenix to Reno only needs Interstate with I-11/515 in Vegas and I-580 in Carson City-Reno.
Plus a bit of I-40 east of Kingman.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, you could extend the hypothesis all the way to Portland by going up US-395, CA-139, OR-39, US-97, and US-26, a ride I enjoyed once back in the 1990s. (Or is that the hypotenuse?)

vdeane

Quote from: therocket on September 03, 2023, 07:56:50 PM
Phoenix to Reno wouldn't even take I-580.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SkyPesos

I haven't seen any ADHS corridors mentioned in this thread yet, so I wonder how far you can get using a combination of those. They might be the longest ones here in the eastern part of the country, as otherwise, the examples in this thread are in the western half.

Columbus to Kingsport is 313 miles using US 23 (Corridor B). Could stretch this up to Toledo, but at that point, I-75 is faster by 5 minutes.

Not the most ideal route here, but Cincinnati to DC is only half an hour slower using a combination of OH 32/US 50 (Corridor D) and US 48 (Corridor H) than I-70, though it's shorter in distance. Could stretch this even further to some point on the Delmarva Peninsula (thinking Ocean City, via US 50).

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: pderocco on September 03, 2023, 08:31:32 PM
As has been pointed out elsewhere, you could extend the hypothesis all the way to Portland by going up US-395, CA-139, OR-39, US-97, and US-26, a ride I enjoyed once back in the 1990s. (Or is that the hypotenuse?)

Except when I asked Mr. Google the route broke off US 95 in Tonopah and went up NV 376, NV 305, I-80, back to US 95, OR 78, US 20 and Millican Road to US 26. Going via Reno would be longer, but admitedly less Interstate.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Quillz

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 02, 2023, 02:32:33 AM
Michigan and Montana being separated by just over a thousand miles blows my mind for some reason. Always imagined them to be farther apart.
I always liked the fun fact that El Paso, TX is closer to the Pacific Ocean than it is to Orange, TX which is along the Louisiana border. Just to give a sense of scale how large Texas is.

And then building on that: Alaska is 240% larger than Texas.

formulanone

Quote from: GaryV on September 02, 2023, 10:20:35 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 02, 2023, 09:11:29 AM
Tell me how you know Belvidere, Illinois would be my first destination if/whenever I make it to the USA :sombrero:.

Because you want to visit the birthplace of the Omni and Horizon?   :-D

Is there a 12-step program for this?
[former Dodge Neon owner sheepishly raises hand]

bzakharin

While not on the scale of some of the others, New Jersey has some surprisingly long distances where taking an interstate (or any freeway) is either slower or at least not faster. The longest is probably from Trenton to south of Milford, PA. That's 93 miles of NJ 29, CR 546, CR 579, NJ 3, US 46, I-80 (6 miles just to cross into PA), and US 209. Another is Delaware Memorial Bridge to Cape May, some 73 miles via NJ 49, CR 670, NJ 347, and NJ 47. While using NJ 55 and Garden State Parkway (both freeways but not Interstates) for 27 of those miles is an option, it's not really faster. If you want to include non-Interstate freeways, the length of the Garden State Parkway (including the extension into New York) is 174 miles.

RobbieL2415

Hartford to anywhere on the OBX in NC is about 340 miles of non-Interstate driving if you route yourself down the Delmarva Peninsula. This does include travel distance on the NJ 700-signed portion of the NJTP.

corco

Bliss, Idaho to Las Vegas is over 500 miles best served by US 30 to 93 (with help from Nevada 318)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.