News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Street names for public alleys

Started by mgk920, August 25, 2023, 09:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCrites

Yeah living in Oakley was weird not having alleys. It too was a separate village initially. It makes it slow to get around on foot. I would see stuff that was RIGHT THERE but I couldn't get to it efficiently. Goes to show even old streetcar suburbs can have anti-pedestrian design.

freebrickproductions

At least three of Huntsville's alleys in the neighborhoods immediately around downtown (but not in downtown, IIRC) are named, but, once you get further out from there, the older neighborhoods with alleys don't have them named.

Admittedly, one of the alleys (Cruise Alley) is more of a street than an alley in both width and the fact that there are houses actually along it. Strangely, the house numbers there are all very low (less than 100) and aren't fit into Huntsville incremental 100, 200, 300, etc. numbering system for house numbers across blocks.

Madison, AL, also has exactly one named alley in their downtown (if not the whole city): Buttermilk Alley. In fact, most of the alleys here in Alabama aren't named, and, if they are, they typically aren't signed. Apparently some of the alleys in Sheffield are named as 1/2 Avenues due to being between numbered roads that are things like 12th Avenue, 13th Avenue, 14th Avenue, etc. The ones that are more like streets than alleys, like 11 1/2 Avenue, 14 1/2 Street, and 15 1/2 Street seem to only be signed due to being more like streets (and having building/lot addresses along them) than alleys.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

elsmere241

Elsmere, DE names most of its alleys like lettered streets.  The one behind my house was G Street.  They go as high as Y Street.

ErmineNotyours

Fan Tan Alley in Victoria, BC was used in the movie Bird On a Wire (1990).  They even helpfully have the characters ride a ferry from Detroit to (er) Racine to stand in for the change in filming location from Vancouver to Victoria.  The alley is still named Fan Tan Alley in the film.

CapeCodder

Philadelphia and environs has tons of named alleys.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.