News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Distinct roads with the same name & exits on the same freeway in the same metro

Started by KCRoadFan, September 02, 2023, 12:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

In the Kansas City area, where I live, there are two major roads named Antioch Road - on the Kansas side, a long thoroughfare through Merriam and Overland Park, and on the Missouri side, a shorter but still prominent road through Gladstone and eastern parts of the Northland. In addition, both Antioch Roads have an exit on I-35 (Exit 230 on the Kansas side, Exit 8C on the Missouri side).

That made me wonder: throughout the country, where else have you seen two distinct roads within a given metro area that not only have the same name (aside from numbered streets), but which also happen to each have an exit on the same freeway? I'm sure this phenomenon occurs at least a handful of times.

SkyPesos

There's two "Kingshighway" exits on I-64 in the St Louis area: Exit 36A in the MO side, and Exit 6 in IL.

CardInLex

Eastern Parkway and Eastern Blvd in the Louisville area, both on I-65 about 6 miles apart. The first in Kentucky, the latter in Indiana.

Since I-265 still isn't completely signed around Louisville over the new bridge, does I-265 in Indiana and I-265 in Kentucky count? Haha

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 02, 2023, 01:27:18 PM
There's two "Kingshighway" exits on I-64 in the St Louis area: Exit 36A in the MO side, and Exit 6 in IL.

That was my immediate thought, and it makes me wonder why it's "Kingshighway" and not "Kings HIghway." Anyone know the answer to that?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JustDrive

CA 57 has Chapman Ave at its southern terminus and again six miles north, in Fullerton.

gonealookin

Mt. Diablo Boulevard exit off eastbound CA 24 at the west end of Lafayette, CA:
https://goo.gl/maps/4xsBQbYxmpVzDS5X8

As eastbound CA 24 ends at I-680 in Walnut Creek, CA, there's a left exit for Walnut Creek's Mt. Diablo Boulevard on the ramp from CA 24 to southbound I-680, marked on CA 24 this way:
https://goo.gl/maps/oEbHW6ftRzbU3D4G7

Mt. Diablo Boulevard was the through state highway from the Caldecott Tunnel to downtown Walnut Creek before the CA 24 freeway was built.  But it's now discontinuous between Lafayette's east end and that second portion that leads from the CA 24/I-680 interchange into downtown Walnut Creek.

I lived in Lafayette for a while, and would occasionally be asked by a confused driver who had taken that first Mt. Diablo Boulevard exit, found themselves in Lafayette, but was looking for a restaurant or something that was in downtown Walnut Creek.

wriddle082

I-24, I-40, and I-65 all have an exit for Old Hickory Blvd as you enter, and as you leave, Nashville.  At each one, OHB has a different state route number, but those are ignored along most Nashville streets most of the time.  But on the north and east side it is consistently TN 45 long enough for one of the exits on all three.  Otherwise it's TN 251 on I-40 west, TN 254 on I-65 south, and TN 171 on I-24 east.

Dirt Roads

It's close to Lima (so not in the same metro), but I-75 Old Exit 67 in Cridersville is National Road (Exit 118).  But it was always curious to me how close that is to Old Exit 48 in Vandalia (next door to Dayton) for US-40 (Exit 63), which, of course, is "The National Road" (and just happens to be signed as such on the streetblades, but not shown on the I-75 BGSs).

Flint1979

This is more Metro Flint than anywhere. There are two Holly Road exits on I-75, exit 98 and exit 108. They are not the same road the one at exit 108 is North Holly Road and the one at exit 98 is East Holly Road.

dantheman

MA 3 southbound has two exits to Washington Streets: Exit 41 in Braintree, and Exit 32 in Hanover. I suppose this is only "partial credit" for two reasons: Exit 41 has no northbound offramp, so it only works in one direction, and Exit 32 is signed as MA 53/MA 123 without the street name.

Further north, I-93 has three exits for Lowell Streets: Exit 31 in Wilmington, Exit 39(A/B) in Andover, and Exit 43(A/B) in Methuen. On this one, none of the three are actually signed for Lowell Street - all three use state route numbers (MA 129, MA 133, and MA 110/113 respectively).

It wouldn't surprise me if there is an example somewhere in New England of two exits signed with the same street name, although I can't think of one. New England's (especially Massachusetts's) habit of reusing the same dozen street names in every town, and naming many streets after "the town this street goes towards," lend themselves to a lot of duplication.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 02, 2023, 11:35:52 PM
This is more Metro Flint than anywhere. There are two Holly Road exits on I-75, exit 98 and exit 108. They are not the same road the one at exit 108 is North Holly Road and the one at exit 98 is East Holly Road.

But they both go to the same town of Holly.

Further south, I-75 crosses Livernois Rd twice - once in Troy, once in SW Detroit. I believe there is (or maybe was, depends on Gordie Howe Bridge construction) an exit at the southern Livernois crossing; there is not one in Troy. So when traffic on the radio reports that there's an accident blocking 2 lanes at Livernois, they almost always mean the southern crossing. It's the same Livernois Rd, but not continuous, because it doesn't go thru in Pleasant Ridge. (And it's called Main St in Royal Oak and Clawson, but it's still the same road.)

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on September 03, 2023, 06:43:07 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 02, 2023, 11:35:52 PM

But they both go to the same town of Holly.

Further south, I-75 crosses Livernois Rd twice - once in Troy, once in SW Detroit. I believe there is (or maybe was, depends on Gordie Howe Bridge construction) an exit at the southern Livernois crossing; there is not one in Troy. So when traffic on the radio reports that there's an accident blocking 2 lanes at Livernois, they almost always mean the southern crossing. It's the same Livernois Rd, but not continuous, because it doesn't go thru in Pleasant Ridge. (And it's called Main St in Royal Oak and Clawson, but it's still the same road.)
They aren't the same road though and change names in Holly. Livernois doesn't have an exit for I-75 in Troy.

SEWIGuy

There is a Moreland Blvd (US-18) and a Moorland Road (CTH-O) that have interchanges with I-94 just a few miles from one another in Waukesha County WI.

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't know if the OP strictly wanted examples that were identical names both street and suffix, but I can think of a couple MSP ones that don't quite fit.

I-35W: Lake St and Lake Drive
TH 62: Bloomington Ave and Bloomington Road
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

KCRoadFan

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 03, 2023, 08:55:40 AM
There is a Moreland Blvd (US-18) and a Moorland Road (CTH-O) that have interchanges with I-94 just a few miles from one another in Waukesha County WI.

Huh. I drove I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee a week ago. I remember seeing Moorland Road, but not Moreland Boulevard - anyway, US 18 through Waukesha County is known as Bluemound Road, and I believe it's signed as such on I-94.

thenetwork

I think the definitive winner of the post has to be I-15 in the Salt Lake City Metro Area by far.

There are so many "Main Street" and "x00 East/West" exits on the 15 between Spanish Fork and Ogden -- nearly each 'suburb' along the way has its own Main Street along with their own x00(0) street grid system -- that there is a LOT of repetition where "Main Street" and some of the "x000 East (or West)" arteries come up as exits every 5-10 miles or so. 

But each 'duplicate' is in it's own town along the way.

Occidental Tourist

The 91 Freeway has two Main Street exits, one in Carson, CA and one in Corona.  It also has two Magnolia Avenue exits, one in Anaheim and one in Riverside.

The 10 has two Central Avenue exits, one in LA and one in Montclair. It also has two Valley Blvds., one in Baldwin Park and the other in Ontario.

The 15 has three Main Street exits, one in San Diego, one near Lake Elsinore, and one in Barstow.

The 99 has three Main Street exits, one near Stockton, one in Ripon, and one in Turlock. And it has two Broadway exits, Broadway in Sacramento and Broadway Avenue in Modesto. It also has two exits named after Martin Luther King, Jr., a Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd near Sacramento and a Martin Luther King, Jr. Way in Merced. 

The 5 has:
Six Main Streets: Red Bluff, Woodland, LA, Santa Ana, Chula Vista, and National City.
Two Grand Avenues, one in San Diego and one in Santa Ana.
Two San Fernando exits: San Fernando Road near Newhall and San Fernando Blvd. in Burbank.  These are the same road, though.
Two Vista exits: Vista Way in Oceanside and Vista Drive in Weed.
Two Washington exits: Washington Street in San Diego and Washington Blvd in Commerce.
Two Lincoln exits: Lincoln Street in Burbank and Lincoln Ave in Anaheim. (h/t: JustDrive)
Two Balboa exits: Balboa Avenue in San Diego and Balboa Blvd in Burbank.
Two Harbor exits: Harbor Blvd in Anaheim and Harbor Drive in National City.
Two Cesar Chavez exits: Cesar Chavez Avenue in East LA and Cesar E. Chavez Parkway in San Diego

The 101 has:
Two Central Avenue exits, one in Camarillo and one near Trinidad.
Two San Antonio Road exits, one in Palo Alto and one near Novato.
Two Fair Oaks Avenue exits, one in Sunnyvale and one in Arroyo Grande.
Two Willow Road exits, one in East Palo Alto and one near Arroyo Grande. 
Two Santa Clara exits: Santa Clara Ave in Oxnard and Santa Clara Street in San Jose. 
Two Santa Monica exits, Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood and Santa Monica Road near Carpinteria.
Two Washington exits: Washington Blvd in Crescent City and Washington Street in Petaluma.
Two Cesar Chavez exits: Cesar Chavez Street in San Francisco and Cesar Chavez Avenue in LA.
Two Lincoln exits: Lincoln Avenue in San Rafael and Lincoln Blvd in San Francisco near the Golden Gate Bridge.
Three Bayshore exits: Old Bayshore Highway in San Jose, Bayshore Boulevard in South San Francisco, Bayshore Boulevard in San Francisco (h/t: TheStranger)
Four Main Streets: Fortuna, Salinas, Paso Robles, and Ventura.   
Five Santa Rosa exits: Santa Rosa Road in Camarillo, Atascadero and in Santa Barbara County near Gaviota Pass, Santa Rosa Street in San Luis Obispo, and Santa Rosa Avenue in Santa Rosa. 

TheStranger

US 101 has THREE different Bayshore exits in the Bay Area off the Bayshore Freeway segment:

- Old Bayshore Highway in San Jose, exit 389A
- Cow Palace/Bayshore Boulevard, exit 426A northbound only
- Alemany Boulevard/Bayshore Boulevard, exit 431

There used to be one more Bayshore exit off 101, the ramp that still connects to Bayshore Boulevard near Little Hollywood in SF but is now known as the Paul Avenue offramp (exit 429C northbound)

Chris Sampang

Occidental Tourist

The 405 has two Culver exits: Culver Blvd in Culver City and Culver Drive in Irvine.

The 210 has two Foothill Blvds, one in La Crescenta and the other in La Verne. It also has Baseline Road in Claremont and Base Line Road in Highland. Three Mountain exits: Mountain Street in Pasadena and two different Mountain Avenues, one in Monrovia and one in Upland.

The 805 has two Palm Avenue exits in San Diego eight miles apart.  They are not the same road.

The 580 has two Grand Avenues, one in Oakland and one in San Leandro. These are not the same street.  It also has two MacArthur Blvd exits five miles apart, both in Oakland.  These are for effectively two parts of the same road. Two Foothill exits: Foothill Blvd in Oakland and Foothill Road in Pleasanton.

The 880 has two Fremont Blvds eight miles apart, one in Fremont and one in Union City.  They are the same road.

JustDrive

The Lincoln Street exit no longer exists on I-5 in Burbank. It got replaced by the Empire/San Fernando interchange, which incidentally, made San Fernando Road two separate streets. The Sylmar/San Fernando/Pacoima portion defaults onto Victory Place in Burbank, whereas San Fernando Blvd defaults onto Empire Ave.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 03, 2023, 01:27:02 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 03, 2023, 08:55:40 AM

Huh. I drove I-94 between Madison and Milwaukee a week ago. I remember seeing Moorland Road, but not Moreland Boulevard - anyway, US 18 through Waukesha County is known as Bluemound Road, and I believe it's signed as such on I-94.

Moreland Blvd. is US-18 west of its interchange with I-94. It is Bluemound east of that interchange.  (Bluemound west of the interchange is actually a former routing of US-16.)

I don't believe Moreland Blvd. is signed however.

zzcarp

A couple Colorado quasi-examples:

I-25 has County Line Road exits both at the Douglas-El Paso line (Exit 163) and at the Douglas-Arapahoe line (Exit 195).

I-70 has two Colorado Boulevard exits, one in Denver at Exit 276 and one at east Idaho Springs at Exit 241.

Remaining in the Denver metro area, if you consider C-470 and E-470 as one highway:

C-470 has Quincy Ave at Exit 6 and E-470 has it at Exit 13.
C-470 has Quebec Street at Exit 24 and E-470 has it at Exit 41.
C-470 begins/ends in Golden at the 6th Avenue exit, and E-470 passes 6th Parkway at Exit 19.

All of these streets fall basically within the Denver street grid naming system, but none are continuous across town between the exits. Again, this could fit if you consider 470 as one road.
So many miles and so many roads

Henry

I-94 in Chicagoland has two Kennedy exits:

In IL, Exit 43B off WB I-94 is WB I-90, the Kennedy Expressway that takes you to O'Hare and Rockford (the western, or northern, end of their concurrency, however you want to call it).
In IN, Exit 3 is Kennedy Avenue (though here it shares a concurrency with I-80).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jt4

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 02, 2023, 11:10:30 PM
It's close to Lima (so not in the same metro), but I-75 Old Exit 67 in Cridersville is National Road (Exit 118).  But it was always curious to me how close that is to Old Exit 48 in Vandalia (next door to Dayton) for US-40 (Exit 63), which, of course, is "The National Road" (and just happens to be signed as such on the streetblades, but not shown on the I-75 BGSs).

A bit off topic, but there's also a National Road bordering Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, which becomes Grange Hall Road right next to the I-675 exit. Thankfully, 675 signs it as Grange Hall Road.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 02, 2023, 11:10:30 PM
Somewhat similar situation to the National Road, but I wonder how many "Dixie Highway" or "Dixie Road" exits from I-75 there are, as I-75 parallels the former Dixie Highway auto trail. I-75 Exit 188 in the KY side of the Cincinnati area is one of them, though I'm looking for a Dixie Highway exit on the Ohio side of Cincy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.