News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor Crash? Move Over!

Started by RoadRage2023, September 23, 2023, 12:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on September 24, 2023, 06:23:07 PM
Haven't read any MMM-level outlandish takes from this guy (yet)

The idea of someone keeping a "Learn How To Drive" sign in their car seems pretty damn outlandish to me. (Anyone who attempted to use such a thing in Oklahoma or Texas would probably end up with a bullet hole in it.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 24, 2023, 09:12:16 PM
Haven't read any MMM-level outlandish takes from this guy (yet)

The idea of someone keeping a "Learn How To Drive" sign in their car seems pretty damn outlandish to me. (Anyone who attempted to use such a thing in Oklahoma or Texas would probably end up with a bullet hole in it.)

Such violence.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RoadRage2023

That would be real road rage.

I only did the sign thing once or twice. Probably didn't even see it. But I do lean on the horn if they are causing a long back up and there is room to move to the side.

"mmm level outlandish" what does that mean?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SectorZ on September 24, 2023, 12:33:29 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 24, 2023, 09:34:01 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 23, 2023, 07:14:20 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 23, 2023, 05:25:02 PM
I doubt this guy is Lord Carhorn.  Carhorn has too much of an ego to deny who he is, even in the event of "hypothetical sock account."
"Location: NYC"

Fourth iteration of Mike2357/SafeSpeeder/MMM maybe?
There are 3 possibilities here:

1) this is not MMM.
2) this is MMM, and he put NYC as his location again after he was permanently banned for the third time with an account that lists NYC.
3) this is MMM, and in an absolute stroke of genius, he put NYC as his location again because, surely, we think, he would never be dumb enough to do that.

MMM used the word "threshold" ten times in posts per a quick search. Already used twice here by our newbie. Each has also referred to "black and red" on google maps at an oddly high rate.
The writing style and tone are quite similar. Haven't read any MMM-level outlandish takes from this guy (yet), but I think this account being Part IV is a possibility.

That's part of the style. His opinions are strong but relatively calm at first, then he'll go into the outlandish takes a few weeks or months later after he gets people riled up.

RoadRage2023

What is all this weird side discussion going on? And why am I getting messages from site staff asking if I have other accounts or registered multiple times? I registered once, a few days ago. (I considered registering a 2nd time because the email was taking a while to come, thought maybe it didn't go through, but it did come, so I didn't, I have 1 account). I joined to ask about congestion pricing and vent about NYC traffic, which I thought this site "All About Roads" was appropriate for.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 23, 2023, 02:54:10 PM
... is pretty much the definition of road rage.

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 23, 2023, 03:00:21 PM
I disagree. It is signaling that they shouldn't be ...

Standard response from a road rager.

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 24, 2023, 10:01:27 PM
But I do lean on the horn if they are causing a long back up and there is room to move to the side.

Because, obviously, the most important thing on their minds is what some random driver going by thinks of a decision they made ten minutes ago.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 11:13:46 AM
But I do lean on the horn if they are causing a long back up and there is room to move to the side.

Because, obviously, the most important thing on their minds is what some random driver going by thinks of a decision they made ten minutes ago.

He'd be the type to honk at me as my vehicle was blocking two feet width of an off ramp as I was on 911 addressing a medical emergency in my car. He was probably the one behind me who actually did honk instead of using the 15' width of spare ramp to the left of me.

RoadRage2023

I'm not the only one who does it.  Sometimes I honk when they are taking up multiple lanes, and they could just block one instead. Even if it doesn't change their minds, enough drivers doing it may pressure them to expedite the process, and not get all comfy cozy on the highway. It poses a safety hazard to other drivers and to themselves, for the whole "who pays to fix this dent" reason. Of course I'm not going to do that in a genuine severe accident, but half the time I see 2 cars with barely noticeable damage just casually pulled up next to each other blocking 2 lanes as they Chat on the side of the road. It's like the cabs who double park when there's a wide space 50 feet ahead they could have pulled over.

"Bullet holes" I don't usually stick around to see the drivers reaction, or sit there to "road rage" at them. I hit the horn and haul ass (if the traffic opens up ahead).

kphoger

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 25, 2023, 12:50:53 PM
I'm not the only one who does it.

Correct.  Other drivers engage in road rage as well.

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 25, 2023, 12:50:53 PM
I don't usually stick around to see the drivers reaction

Coward.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 24, 2023, 10:20:29 PM
What is all this weird side discussion going on? And why am I getting messages from site staff asking if I have other accounts or registered multiple times? I registered once, a few days ago. (I considered registering a 2nd time because the email was taking a while to come, thought maybe it didn't go through, but it did come, so I didn't, I have 1 account). I joined to ask about congestion pricing and vent about NYC traffic, which I thought this site "All About Roads" was appropriate for.

Without speaking for admins, mods, or anyone else on this forum, the reason people are questioning your existence is that you are acting a lot like a member, recently banned, who was already banned prior for outlandish and boorish behavior.

Also, in a weird twist, you have some opinions that are in line with another recently banned member (who had nothing to do with the other person), mostly in regards to the proclivity for smashing the squishy thing in the middle of the steering wheel that makes lots of noise.

If you are indeed your own person, I'll apologize personally for pointing out similarities between you and the recently banned person. I hope at least this explains the situation.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on September 25, 2023, 12:47:31 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 11:13:46 AM

He'd be the type to honk at me as my vehicle was blocking two feet width of an off ramp as I was on 911 addressing a medical emergency in my car. He was probably the one behind me who actually did honk instead of using the 15' width of spare ramp to the left of me.
You can't park there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Each has also referred to "black and red" on google maps at an oddly high rate.

Interesting fact...  It's phrased slightly differently, but yes...

↓  MultiMillionMiler  ↓

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 18, 2023, 09:56:36 AM
Actually I was able to go 70 mph on the cross bronx recently on the weekend in the middle of the day. During the weekday, yes it is black-red on googlemaps the whole length, but they also recently repaired it so it has some of the smoothest asphalt in the city now.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 30, 2022, 10:30:36 AM
You mispelled "LIAR", when it comes to reliable service. Also have fun making whatever half dozen connections you need to get to whatever part of the city that you are going, only to then walk 5-10 blocks after. Even strictly looking at the traffic, look on googlemaps live traffic at 5:30 pm EST and compare it to other major city rush hours in their respective times (8 pm here for LA), you never see that much black-red anywhere else, that extends in all directions up to 40 miles from the city. My personal record for going through the Holland tunnel recently was 1 hr 45 minutes. An interesting challenge is to try and find a road where the green lasts for at least 3 miles within city boundaries. At least enduring the traffic though, I don't have to worry about my subway car getting gassed and shot up by some guy just because it's Wednesday.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 03, 2022, 10:54:48 PM
Because drivers using the northern end are worsening the traffic, whereas drivers on the southern end barely affect the traffic as there rarely is any. Drivers going the entire length would have to pay the same amount through the northern stretch so how is it unfair? That's like saying drivers who go longer distances should pay more of a toll just because more of their trip happened to be on a non-toll road. The northern end is consistently black-red on the map during rush hour, whereas South of NYC, there is rarely any red on the map even on the worst Friday getaway holidays during rush hour.

↓  RoadRage2023  ↓

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 21, 2023, 11:54:31 AM
I agree the money should go toward the roads. The traffic has really become a nightmare in the last few years. Drives in gridlock that used to take maybe 45 min now take a solid 2-3 hours. Never saw so much black and red on Google maps in my life. One thing they never made clear though was how exactly the west side highway and fdr drives would be affected.

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 21, 2023, 01:33:43 PM
There isn't much that can be done. The roads are in horrible condition and it's like the number of cars on the road tripled. Traffic jams exist where you've never seen them before. The red and black on the map extends 50+ miles from the city in every direction. The reducing of the BQE by a lane was an absolute disaster. Between Hamilton Ave and Atlantic Ave it can take 40 min, that's an average speed of less than 1 mph. I've sometimes been on my phone at midnight to see that stretch still black.

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 22, 2023, 12:28:08 PM
Things like that are happening more frequent than not. Literally every day you check Google maps the red and black roads are extending very far from the city. Sometimes so far it almost looks like the Traffic from Boston/Philadelphia and NYC are about to connect.

Duke yes I know you could probably just take the Lincoln tunnel and the turnpike. But even $65 would still be a good $1,300-$1,400 a month in fees. EZ pass may knock this down to $1,000, but that's still insane per month
Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

Quote from: SectorZ on September 25, 2023, 12:56:18 PM
squishy thing in the middle of the steering wheel that makes lots of noise

In his book Holidays in Hell, P.J. O'Rourke referred to it as the "Egyptian brake pedal."

kphoger

It's also intriguing how many things |RoadRage2023| has found "ridiculous" in such a short time on the forum...

↓  MultiMillionMiler  ↓

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 02:51:11 PM
CO I-70 has some grades at 7%, but that's a stretch I wouldn't even want to drive in a car, let alone a truck. He should have tried scraping against the median to try and eat that speed off. That being said, the initial 110 year prison sentence was ridiculous nonetheless.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 02, 2023, 08:54:15 PM
Try Long Island. Both major straight and flat highways have 55 mph speed limits, despite the state allowing for 65 mph. Traffic is always going 75-80 mph and today I was on Sunrise Expressway cruising at 75 mph at night, and a state police car just eased by me going at least 80 without lights on. Even the cops think it's ridiculous. The joke is that the minimum speed is like 40-45 (with the 55 speed limit) and construction zones drop it to 45. So there is a stretch that recently had a minimum speed 40 sign with a work zone 45 sign, within a few hundred feet LOL

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 22, 2023, 10:54:41 AM
Only inside of cities is CA congested. And Los Angeles/San Francisco are not as red on googlemaps when it is 8 pm here, so even their rush hour isn't as bad. California has some of the best freeway networks in the country, with Bice wide and straight highways, 74 mph as a tolerance is ridiculous. Even here in NY/NJ you can go up to 80 mph in 65 mph zones without getting a ticket, let alone 75.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 23, 2022, 10:20:48 AM
That is one major point the US should implement. Stop building cities. It's ridiculous to cram 10,000,000 people into 200 Square miles when you have tens of thousands of miles of desolate land all over the country. NYC for example, should be spread out all over Long Island, New Jersey, Upstate New York, Western Connecticut, and Eastern Pennsylvania. What was ever the purpose in building cities in such a cramped fashion? It's not like you can get to anything faster due to it being closer with the unbelievable traffic levels.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 23, 2022, 11:20:55 AM
That would be ridiculous..."loitering" sleep is a physical need, and you are in your own property in your car. I swear karens who would make laws like that have nothing better to do.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 08, 2023, 05:40:54 PM
I don't even care about the actual hotel rules anymore, it's the ridiculous unempathetic replies that are annoying. I would definitely vote for private businesses to be stripped of some autonomy. They take it for granted and become very entitled/power-trippy

↓  RoadRage2023  ↓

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 21, 2023, 04:32:17 PM
BQE lane reduction was a disaster. Going from Hamilton Ave to Atlantic Avenue can take 35-40 minutes. I've seen people just drive on the shoulder right in front of cops and they don't care, even they agree it was ridiculous. Re-open the 3rd lane!

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 22, 2023, 12:40:30 PM
I had a feeling part of the reason they did that was to get people to drive less. I-278 however, is usually a key road you start with. No matter what direction you are going. Especially from Western Brooklyn. Heading South? Well of course you take I-278 to the Jersey Turnpike. Going North? Head the other way to the Triborough bridge or Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Long Island? You'll need to take it to I-495. West? People will still tend to go toward Staten Island or take I-278 to an East- River Bridge. There are no other expressways that cut across or up and down through Brooklyn, so I-278 was a ridiculous choice of a highway to worsen.

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 23, 2023, 09:36:53 PM
I'm confused as to how the 60th street perimeter is going to work. Is it that anyone who enters Manhattan from a bridge/tunnel which lands them below 60th street has to pay? Or will someone who is already in Manhattan that goes from 70th to 50th street has to pay? I find it ridiculous that someone who makes a wrong turn or misses a turn near 60th street may get hit with a $10 or $20 fee. I haven't been able to find clarification online about this.

Also how much traffic will this really reduce if drivers who don't enter/exit the zone don't have to pay anything? People who already live within the toll zone and only drive around within it can do so for free. This is only charging drivers for passing through.

Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: SectorZ on September 25, 2023, 12:56:18 PM

Without speaking for admins, mods, or anyone else on this forum, the reason people are questioning your existence is that you are acting a lot like a member, recently banned, who was already banned prior for outlandish and boorish behavior.

Also, in a weird twist, you have some opinions that are in line with another recently banned member (who had nothing to do with the other person), mostly in regards to the proclivity for smashing the squishy thing in the middle of the steering wheel that makes lots of noise.

If you are indeed your own person, I'll apologize personally for pointing out similarities between you and the recently banned person. I hope at least this explains the situation.

I keep forgetting that the more recent of the two banned accounts was actually Crash_It and not Lord Carhorn.  :-D

Should someone mash up the two departed posters and come up with a username called "MultiMillionCrashes?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

RoadRage2023

Were the other people from NYC also? Many New Yorkers feel the same way about traffic. It is well known the dark colors on googlemaps mean slow traffic, and these permeate the map. He/she is correct about the traffic affecting areas a good distance away from the city. I'm glad I'm not the only person here who mentioned that. Are there very few people from NY on here? Is this one of those forums that bans people for having certain opinions? If I am having the same opinions as multiple banned users from the same location, maybe the opinions are misunderstood. Why exactly were they banned? I assume it wasn't just for complaining about traffic problems?

Because we both used the word ridiculous and red/black I must be someone commenting from multiple accounts? Remembering exact words people used from comments in 2022? Selective memory?

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on September 25, 2023, 02:08:28 PM
I keep forgetting that the more recent of the two banned accounts was actually Crash_It and not Lord Carhorn.

After a while, it becomes difficult to keep your trolls straight in your mind.
Male pronouns, please.

kirbykart

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 25, 2023, 02:17:14 PM
Were the other people from NYC also?

Mike/Safespeeder/MMM was, Crash_It was from Chicago.

Why exactly were they banned?

Crash_It was just annoying for a while, but I think he was ultimately banned for some transphobic comments.

I don't know exactly why Mike was banned the first time. The second and third accounts were banned for sockpuppetry.

kphoger

Because we both used the word ridiculous and red/black I must be someone commenting from multiple accounts?

Fair enough.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and answer your questions on their own merit.

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 23, 2023, 02:04:56 PM

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 23, 2023, 01:44:15 PM
My guess is they (particularly the motorist not at fault) think moving the vehicles will mess up the evidence of what happened and who is at fault for the police report.

Why should there be police reports for fender benders? Waste of time, and doesn't justify blocking the road for everyone else. Just so someone can get their "rightful money" to repair a barely visible dent in the car.

Why would a person not call and have a police report done, if the accident was the other driver's fault?  The only reasons would be if (a) they don't plan to get the damage repaired, or (b) they'd rather pay out of pocket for the repairs.  Personally, I'd rather go the route that leads to a free car repair and guarantees that the other driver doesn't call later and claim I did a hit-and-run.  Besides which, some damage might not be immediately noticeable:  what if the impact caused a small crack in the coolant overflow, etc?

Also, as has been mentioned, your car insurance might require a police report.  And every car insurance policy out there has a clause requiring you to report any incident to them–not just major incidents.

It should be a $500 fine and 6 license points for stopping in the middle of the highway when both cars are still driveable.

This sort of thing already exists in states that have "fender bender" laws.  For example, in North Carolina, if your accident is minor and not an injury accident, then you could get a $110 fine for not immediately moving over to the shoulder or "designated accident investigation site".
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kirbykart on September 25, 2023, 02:37:26 PM

Crash_It was just annoying for a while, but I think he was ultimately banned for some transphobic

Crash_It/Barf/Lord Carhorn/Cra_shIt probably was going to get the ban hammer for something sooner or later.  That example is a rare one where the user truly was one hundred percent despicable. 

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 25, 2023, 02:53:17 PM

Crash_It was just annoying for a while, but I think he was ultimately banned for some transphobic

Crash_It/Barf/Lord Carhorn/Cra_shIt probably was going to get the ban hammer for something sooner or later.  That example is a rare one where the user truly was one hundred percent despicable.

I'm proud of myself for being the one that baited him into the ban by having him clarify and elaborate on a comment he made. He had a choice of steering into the skid or the tree, and he picked the tree.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on September 25, 2023, 04:14:02 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 25, 2023, 02:53:17 PM

I'm proud of myself for being the one that baited him into the ban by having him clarify and elaborate on a comment he made. He had a choice of steering into the skid or the tree, and he picked the tree.

Off this forum he always goes for the tree.  The results are often amusing if not disturbing.

RoadRage2023

"Baiting someone into a ban" what does that mean?

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 01:06:31 PM
Each has also referred to "black and red" on google maps at an oddly high rate.
Interesting fact...  It's phrased slightly differently, but yes...

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 02:00:25 PM
It's also intriguing how many things |RoadRage2023| has found "ridiculous" in such a short time on the forum...
Hmmm . . .

Were the other people from NYC also? Many New Yorkers feel the same way about traffic. It is well known the dark colors on googlemaps mean slow traffic, and these permeate the map. He/she is correct about the traffic affecting areas a good distance away from the city. I'm glad I'm not the only person here who mentioned that. Are there very few people from NY on here? Is this one of those forums that bans people for having certain opinions? If I am having the same opinions as multiple banned users from the same location, maybe the opinions are misunderstood. Why exactly were they banned? I assume it wasn't just for complaining about traffic problems?

Because we both used the word ridiculous and red/black I must be someone commenting from multiple accounts? Remembering exact words people used from comments in 2022? Selective memory?
I'm no interrogation detective but I don't think an innocent user would react this way to accusations of being a sockpuppet. He's so long-winded.

"Why am I getting messages from site staff" is a question for the staff, not the rest of the users. Reiterating that he (only) registered once is a dumb statement if it's true - why would that even be worth addressing? Then he goes into more useless detail about registration in an attempt to defend himself.

Then in the second post he restates MMM's opinions, attempts to make it blatantly obvious that he's talking about someone else ("he/she"), hypothesises that there's very few people from NYC on here (which I believe is correct relative to the area's population), then makes sure to act like he's unfamiliar with the forum (I have never once seen a new user ask a question about forum rules).

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 24, 2023, 10:09:08 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 24, 2023, 09:34:01 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 23, 2023, 07:14:20 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 23, 2023, 05:25:02 PM
I doubt this guy is Lord Carhorn.  Carhorn has too much of an ego to deny who he is, even in the event of "hypothetical sock account."
"Location: NYC"

Fourth iteration of Mike2357/SafeSpeeder/MMM maybe?
There are 3 possibilities here:

1) this is not MMM.
2) this is MMM, and he put NYC as his location again after he was permanently banned for the third time with an account that lists NYC.
3) this is MMM, and in an absolute stroke of genius, he put NYC as his location again because, surely, we think, he would never be dumb enough to do that.

MMM used the word "threshold" ten times in posts per a quick search. Already used twice here by our newbie. Each has also referred to "black and red" on google maps at an oddly high rate.
The writing style and tone are quite similar. Haven't read any MMM-level outlandish takes from this guy (yet), but I think this account being Part IV is a possibility.

That's part of the style. His opinions are strong but relatively calm at first, then he'll go into the outlandish takes a few weeks or months later after he gets people riled up.
I recall that as well, patricularly in the case of MMM. I think SafeSpeeder and Mike2357 just came out guns blazing and got banned, so he tried to be more careful with the third account but couldn't keep the act up.

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 25, 2023, 06:07:12 PM
And another one, acting unfamiliar with internet forums in general.

1995hoo

QuoteI'm no interrogation detective but I don't think an innocent user would react this way to accusations of being a sockpuppet. He's so long-winded.

In other words, the old maxim "Methinks thou dost protest too much."

Quote from: RoadRage2023 on September 25, 2023, 06:07:12 PM

Crash_It was evidently a little too uncomplimentary when referring to transsexualism.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.