News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

States that want to call highway-related terms differently

Started by Big John, November 01, 2023, 10:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

There is guardrail, but Pennsylvania and New York want to call it guide rail, and Wisconsin calls it beam guard.

I just saw a facebook feed where Kentucky is referring to a diverging diamond interchange (DDI) as a Double Crossover Diamond (DCD) https://www.drivingnkyprogress.org/what-is-a-dcd

Any others where state terminology differs from the norm?

hotdogPi

Massachusetts: It's the RMV, not the DMV.
Texas: "IH" for Interstates
Louisiana: has parishes instead of counties
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

MATraveler128

Wisconsin and Rhode Island call water fountains bubblers.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

SP Cook

In Ohio, its the BMV.  Ohio also calls Corridor D, or OH 32, "the Appalachian Highway" as if there was only one.  It is signed as such.

In WV, it is very common to refer to the ARC corridors as such, not by the US route number.  As "take Corridor G to Logan and then take WV 10..." .  This is despite no signage (except on the mileposts) that contains the project letters.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

I was under the impression that this thread was for terminology differences that were the state's choice, not just regional dialects.

(edit: one of the two posts I was referring to has since been deleted)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Big John

Also, the term "Jersey Barrier" is foreign in Wisconsin, WisDOT refers to it as a concrete barrier or a "F rail"

Big John

Quote from: 1 on November 01, 2023, 11:04:38 AM
I was under the impression that this thread was for terminology differences that were the state's choice, not just regional dialects.
I meant it as such too plus I meant it to be highway-related terms.

1995hoo

These aren't so much "terminology" in the sense of names for something, but they seem to fit with this thread's overall gist:

—For many years, Delaware's BGSs used the phrase "Must Exit" (sometimes "This Lane Must Exit") rather than "Exit Only." A few such signs, including some newer ones in Clearview, still exist. I know of at least one sign in Philadelphia that uses that phrase as well (it's on southbound I-76 next to the Amtrak rail yard near 30th Street Station).

—North Carolina traditionally uses "Reduce Speed Ahead" instead of "Reduced Speed Ahead."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on November 01, 2023, 10:48:59 AM
Well, this thread is now doomed to go to pot, rather than keeping it to road-related terminology.

Why rehash crap like this that has been rehashed over and over again on the Internet since time eternal?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

For the yellow exit speed limit signs, Missouri and Indiana like using "EXIT XX MPH", while Illinois and Ohio prefers "RAMP XX MPH". I wonder what it's like for other states.

Big John

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2023, 11:10:20 AM

—North Carolina traditionally uses "Reduce Speed Ahead" instead of "Reduced Speed Ahead."
Do they still do that as the yellow diamond is now the MUTCD standard?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Rothman on November 01, 2023, 11:13:29 AM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on November 01, 2023, 10:48:59 AM
Well, this thread is now doomed to go to pot, rather than keeping it to road-related terminology.

Why rehash crap like this that has been rehashed over and over again on the Internet since time eternal?

I removed mine.  Gotta be more specific in titles and opening posts, lest our imaginations take flight.  And stuff gets rehashed because people don't look for it, can't find it, and/or weren't there for the previous conversation.  Don't tell me you've never repeated your comments in separate conversations about movies, TV shows, sports teams and games, whatever.

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2023, 11:16:57 AM
Let's talk about "expressway" . . .
and with Illinois' term of "Tollway", as they will never call a road that charges a toll as a "freeway".

1995hoo

Quote from: Big John on November 01, 2023, 11:15:54 AM

I haven't driven there often enough in the past couple of years to be able to say, which is why I used the word "traditionally."

Big John

Mr. Matté

Quote from: 1 on November 01, 2023, 11:04:38 AM

NY Thruway Schuyler Service Plaza: Hamburgers
Guilderland: Steamed hams

Real life example: Michigan's "last exit before fare"

jmacswimmer

One I've come across in the roadway design world is what to call the plan sheets showing the temporary roadway configuration during road work. For instance, in Maryland it's called "Maintenance of Traffic" (MOT) plans while in Virginia it's called "Temporary Traffic Control" (TTC) plans.

Quote from: 1 on November 01, 2023, 10:43:01 AM
Massachusetts: It's the RMV, not the DMV.
Quote from: SP Cook on November 01, 2023, 10:51:23 AM
In Ohio, its the BMV.

Meanwhile in Maryland, it's the MVA.

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 01, 2023, 11:14:12 AM
For the yellow exit speed limit signs, Missouri and Indiana like using "EXIT XX MPH", while Illinois and Ohio prefers "RAMP XX MPH". I wonder what it's like for other states.

Maryland seems to do both depending on whether it's an exit ramp leading to a surface road or a ramp connecting to another freeway. For example, I-70 east to I-695 north has "RAMP 45 MPH" while nearby I-695 south to US 40 west has "EXIT 35 MPH".
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MATraveler128

New Jersey calls the DMV the MVC. And Maine copies Ohio and calls it the BMV.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on November 01, 2023, 11:31:39 AM

Maryland seems to do both depending on whether it's an exit ramp leading to a surface road or a ramp connecting to another freeway. For example, I-70 east to I-695 north has "RAMP 45 MPH" while nearby I-695 south to US 40 west has "EXIT 35 MPH".

Along these lines, you can find BGSs on surface streets in various parts of Florida that use a black-on-yellow "RAMP ONLY" banner to denote a lane that must turn onto an on-ramp. I presume the rationale is that it's not technically an "exit" from a surface street. Here's a Google Street View image of one such sign in Pembroke Pines.

Heh, whereas some of us might well say that western states are weird because they insist on using the peculiar word "freeway" as a generic word to describe either a highway or an expressway.

Quote from: Big John on November 01, 2023, 11:22:09 AM
and with Illinois' term of "Tollway", as they will never call a road that charges a toll as a "freeway".

I saw someone refer to the Dulles Toll Road as "the Tollway" (it was clear from the context what road was meant). That was a definite "tell us you're not from here without saying you're not from here" kind of moment.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2023, 11:51:16 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on November 01, 2023, 11:31:39 AM

Along these lines, you can find BGSs on surface streets in various parts of Florida that use a black-on-yellow "RAMP ONLY" banner to denote a lane that must turn onto an on-ramp. I presume the rationale is that it's not technically an "exit" from a surface street. Here's a Google Street View image of one such sign in Pembroke Pines.

Which reminds me...it's not consistent, but in similar cases as your example Maryland will sometimes drop the "EXIT" and just leave "ONLY" - a good example of this is MD 214 west at the Capital Beltway, where there's even blank space left on the sign where "EXIT" would have gone.

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 01, 2023, 11:30:33 AM
Real life example: Michigan's "last exit before fare"

Ohio & Kansas, meanwhile, use "Last Free Exit".
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

wanderer2575

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2023, 11:51:16 AM

Also becoming more common in Michigan as signs are replaced:  https://maps.app.goo.gl/ML35U4Lm1M4Bn6gX6

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Big John on November 01, 2023, 11:15:54 AM

They are generally replacing older "Reduce Speed Ahead" signs with the diamonds.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.