News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

States that want to call highway-related terms differently

Started by Big John, November 01, 2023, 10:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

JCinSummerfield

In Michigan, every state highway starts with "M". When Cabela's was built at US-23 & M-50, it was rather strange to Michiganders to see it advertised as "US-23 & Hwy. 50".

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on November 01, 2023, 01:30:59 PM
In Michigan, every state highway starts with "M". When Cabela's was built at US-23 & M-50, it was rather strange to Michiganders to see it advertised as "US-23 & Hwy. 50".

Kansas and Nebraska same thing.

wanderer2575

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 01, 2023, 01:33:17 PM

But do people in Kansas and Nebraska pronounce it that way?  Nobody in Michigan says "Route 50" or "Highway 50" or even just "50."  We actually say "Em 50."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 01, 2023, 02:13:45 PM

But do people in Kansas and Nebraska pronounce it that way?  Nobody in Michigan says "Route 50" or "Highway 50" or even just "50."  We actually say "Em 50."

I don't honestly know about Nebraska, but Kansas for sure. K-10 is pronounced "Kay Ten".

mgk920

Here in Wisconsin, WI 31 is 'Highway thirty-one'.  Literally across the state line, it's southward continuation of IL 131 is 'Route one-thirty-one'.

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 01, 2023, 12:36:32 PM
Trunk highways in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Michigan also has the similar "trunkline" highways. Minnesota is similar to Wisconsin in that everything that isn't an interstate is generally just called "highway".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 01, 2023, 02:24:01 PM

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 01, 2023, 02:13:45 PM

I don't honestly know about Nebraska, but Kansas for sure. K-10 is pronounced "Kay Ten".

Can confirm for Kansas.  Don't know about Nebraska either.

Kay ninety-six and Kay two-fifty-four are two state highways in the Wichita area.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

I know its the official name of the system, but no one really calls them "trunk highways" in Wisconsin any longer.  WIDOT doesn't even use the phrase on their site when discussing highway projects.

Big John

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 01, 2023, 03:11:54 PM

I know its the official name of the system, but no one really calls them "trunk highways" in Wisconsin any longer.  WIDOT doesn't even use the phrase on their site when discussing highway projects.
Most people here just say the number without any label.

jp the roadgeek

In New England, all US and state numbered roads are called "Route xx", while interstates are called I-xx (and sometimes omit the I).  Got a mailing from a new chicken place inside a 7-11 in my town that said it was near "Highway xx".  Had to do a double take, knowing that this obviously came from somewhere not familiar with road naming conventions. 

And in MD, the DMV is the MVA.  If you say you're going to the DMV, they'll tell you you're already there. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on November 01, 2023, 04:51:55 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 01, 2023, 03:11:54 PM

Most people here just say the number without any label.

Here in the Appleton, WI  area (at last), I still sometimes hear of county highways being referred to as 'County Trunk (letter)', while numbered state highways (especially freeways) are often casually referred to by just their numbers.

Mike

bing101

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2023, 11:16:57 AM
Let's talk about "expressway" . . .
Yes several states call Interstate highways expressways like New York does.
Parkways are non interstate freeways that don't allow trucks and buses on those routes and also non wide shoulders.

However in California specifically Santa Clara County expressways are major arterial roads in the San Jose Area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_county_routes_in_zone_G

http://moderntransit.org/expy/expy-system.html
Parkways that gets similar issues too. In Los Angeles they mean Arroyo Seco Parkway as in No Trucks on the CA-110. New York, New Jersey and Connecticut  that means roads similar to the Arroyo Seco Parkway. In other parts of the country that means residential arterials.

roadfro

California calls their unique county-based roadway location reference signs "postmiles". Nevada, using a nearly identical system, calls them "mileposts".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Big John on November 01, 2023, 10:41:10 AM
I just saw a facebook feed where Kentucky is referring to a diverging diamond interchange (DDI) as a Double Crossover Diamond (DCD) https://www.drivingnkyprogress.org/what-is-a-dcd

I have to admit that is a more descriptive name.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on November 02, 2023, 02:22:48 PM
Kentucky has the Spice Rack. (IFKYK)

Is this what you call your Cabinet building? 

West Virginia simply calls theirs "Building Five".  It still is officially referred to as the WVDOH headquarters building, even though it technically houses the parent WVDOT headquarters as well.

KCRoadFan

In Oklahoma and Texas, I've seen state highways marked at intersections as "SH (whatever the number is)".

bwana39

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 01, 2023, 10:13:10 PM
In New England, all US and state numbered roads are called "Route xx", while interstates are called I-xx (and sometimes omit the I).  Got a mailing from a new chicken place inside a 7-11 in my town that said it was near "Highway xx".  Had to do a double take, knowing that this obviously came from somewhere not familiar with road naming conventions. 

And in MD, the DMV is the MVA.  If you say you're going to the DMV, they'll tell you you're already there.

Get a Texan upriled, start talking about Route (ROOT)-XX.

DMV has come of use in Texas in the past decade, but you get your driver's licence from the DPS (Department of Public Safety same folks as the Highway Patrol. )  You register cars with your home county, generally at the Tax Assessor / Collector's office.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Henry

TX and OK use "SH" to refer to their state highways.

"SR" has three different meanings: State Road in FL, Secondary Route in NC, and State Route in many other states, including GA, OH and PA.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ilpt4u

Quote from: Henry on November 03, 2023, 12:57:06 AM
TX and OK use "SH" to refer to their state highways.

"SR" has three different meanings: State Road in FL, Secondary Route in NC, and State Route in many other states, including GA, OH and PA.
I wonder how Texas would designate Illinois-style unnumbered/hidden numbered state routes. Like here in Southern IL, most of Herrin Road is IDOT maintained and is for all intent and purposes, a state highway. The hidden Reference number is 908. So would that make it SH-908?

bing101

How about this one Some States call their toll roads Turnpikes while others call them tollways and expressways.

And in this case the OC calls them Toll roads for SoCal.

https://thetollroads.com/

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 03, 2023, 07:51:27 AM
I wonder how Texas would designate Illinois-style unnumbered/hidden numbered state routes. Like here in Southern IL, most of Herrin Road is IDOT maintained and is for all intent and purposes, a state highway. The hidden Reference number is 908. So would that make it SH-908?

FM-908.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/dRHaskskiu65xdQz9
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5DEF2Jzxt5vNA5ySA
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CovalenceSTU

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2023, 11:10:20 AM
I know of at least one sign in Philadelphia that uses that phrase as well (it's on southbound I-76 next to the Amtrak rail yard near 30th Street Station).
GSV for those curious: https://maps.app.goo.gl/G6RThwdRVdQnsZx96

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.