News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What does Exempt really mean at RR Crossings

Started by roadman65, November 13, 2023, 07:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/fcme8erfZ1oPnB9U9
This grade crossing on a freeway in New Jersey has an exempt sign, but as you can see it's very active.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

It's exempting must-stop vehicles from having to stop.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CtrlAltDel

Here's the relevant law for New Jersey:

Quote from: New Jersey Statutes Title 39. Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation 39 § 4-128 (a)
The commissioner shall designate a grade crossing an exempt crossing when the potential for damage and injury from accidents between motor vehicles required to stop at grade crossings and other motor vehicles traveling in the same direction exceeds that between a train and the vehicles required to stop by law.  Crossings designated as exempt crossings may include, but shall not be limited to, industrial, spurline and secondary crossings.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on November 13, 2023, 07:48:26 PM

So a school bus doesn't have to stop, open his doors to listen for a potential train, and then proceed slowly.

I'd like to see that.

Heck I'd like to see a small minivan that transports disabled people not have to stop at one as most I've seen require their drivers to treat the van( which by law don't have to stop) as school buses.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

andarcondadont

Given that the roadway essentially functions as a freeway (albeit with a 35 mph speed limit and substandard shoulders), it makes sense to exempt must-stop vehicles from stopping.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2023, 07:55:23 PM

So a school bus doesn't have to stop, open his doors to listen for a potential train, and then proceed slowly.

I'd like to see that.

Heck I'd like to see a small minivan that transports disabled people not have to stop at one as most I've seen require their drivers to treat the van( which by law don't have to stop) as school buses.
Don't ask questions you're not going to like the answer to.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2023, 07:44:49 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fcme8erfZ1oPnB9U9
This grade crossing on a freeway in New Jersey has an exempt sign, but as you can see it's very active.

Correct.  More importantly, the sign indicates that the railroad has specific rules in place that require the train crew to stop at that particular crossing, such that a crew member gets off the train and flags across the crossing (in accordance with General Code of Rules 6.32.2 subpart XG, or equivalent).  Note that this particular rule actually applies to grade crossings whereby a malfunction has been reported, but the rule is more often used for lightly used lines where rusty rail conditions are likely (such that we assume that the train detection circuits would be malfunctioning if anyone were dependent upon them).

Dirt Roads

Also, trucks carrying chlorine, flammables and certain hazmat at Exempt crossings are not required to "stop, look and listen" (in this case, roll down windows on both sides of the truck) before proceeding slowly.

I'd like to see that.

The specific regulation is 49 CFR Part 392.10 Subpart (a)(1), which requires that any bus transporting passengers stop at all railroad crossings.  In addition to the Exempt sign, here is another important exception that does not require stopping at "streetcar crossings" or "railroad tracks used exclusively for industrial switching purposes" and the comma is misplaced such that both of these exemptions are only in affect if those specific crossings are "within a business district".  The term "business district" here means something different than you are familiar with, essentially defining the setback distance of the crossing from a particular type of streetscape that is a minimum of 300 feet along one or both sides of a highway (looks a Roadgeek wrote this definition).

For the record, I have no idea how a common bus driver or truck driver could safely determine whether an old railroad crossing at grade meets the requirements for "railroad tracks used exclusively for industrial switching purposes...  ...within a 'business district' ".  It is far better to "stop, look and listen" and let the folks behind you complain.

Brandon

I'd like to see that.

Correct, they don't.  I've been on school buses (a long time ago now) that didn't stop for such crossings marked as "Exempt", daily.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SectorZ

I don't believe I have any exempt crossings in Massachusetts. New Hampshire has them, mostly for lines that are either abandoned or so rarely used that crossing guards come off the train at crossings.

That one the OP put seems a tad shocking to be exempt.

mgk920

'Exempt' means that vehicles that normally have to stop at railroad crossings (ie, buses and trucks with HazMat placards) don't have to at that particular one.

Mike

Rothman

Quote from: mgk920 on November 14, 2023, 03:23:12 PM
'Exempt' means that vehicles that normally have to stop at railroad crossings (ie, buses and trucks with HazMat placards) don't have to at that particular one.

Mike
Thank you for repeating what has been already repeated in the thread.

kirbykart

I always remembered this exempt crossing as it is in the little neighborhood where my grandpa lives. I've been up in this area three or four times in my memory.

(Also, if you pan around the other way, you'll see a stop sign only on the left side of the road.)

US 89

We don't have any here in Tallahassee that I know of, though there are several crossings where I've never seen a train and would be truly shocked if I came upon them and the lights were flashing. A lot of those types of crossings out west would have the exempt marker in my experience.

JREwing78

Michigan uses non-standard signage in at least 2 places to indicate exempt crossings; there is no Exempt sign, but a signal with a sign warning drivers not to stop on the green light.
US-127 near Ithaca: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZAuvuhm6AB48J3iP6
US-2/41 in Gladstone: https://maps.app.goo.gl/bT59SPtCE3wjrdSt8

Oddly, Wisconsin has a few expressways on which railroad crossings are NOT exempt; they go to the expense of making a special lane for those vehicles to stop that doesn't impede traffic. This example shows one example:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HTLuzc1XA9VvSvZs5

mgk920

Oddly, Wisconsin has a few expressways on which railroad crossings are NOT exempt; they go to the expense of making a special lane for those vehicles to stop that doesn't impede traffic. This example shows one example:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HTLuzc1XA9VvSvZs5
[/quote]

There used to be a lot more of them in Wisconsin, including two on six lane urban freeways, but just those three (two on US 151 (at Beaver Dam and just south of Waupun) and that one on US 141) are left.  That US 141 crossing (near Pound, WI) had a fatal truck-train crash about a year or so ago.  "USE RIGHT LANE IF REQUIRED TO STOP AT RAILROAD".

Mike

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SectorZ on November 14, 2023, 08:53:25 AM

Probably because there's never going to be any high speed trains here.  To the right (east) is the Atlantic City Train Station, and the end of the line.  So trains are going to be travelling very slowly approaching or departing the station. 

I've seen the lights lit but never been stopped by the train.  As far as I know, they don't have anyone walking in front of or beside the train with a flag here.

jamess

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 15, 2023, 06:48:41 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on November 14, 2023, 08:53:25 AM

Probably because there's never going to be any high speed trains here.  To the right (east) is the Atlantic City Train Station, and the end of the line.  So trains are going to be travelling very slowly approaching or departing the station. 

I've seen the lights lit but never been stopped by the train.  As far as I know, they don't have anyone walking in front of or beside the train with a flag here.

Correct, thats the terminal, so all trains will be doing at best 5mph in or out. There is also no freight.

Better view:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/1NdkK7BjGDBuRsW8A

There arent a lot of school buses using the roadway, but a TON of passenger buses. 

J N Winkler

To an extent, the meaning of the exempt sign will depend on the state.  California actually has two versions, with different rules attaching to each.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mgk920

Quote from: Rothman on November 14, 2023, 04:10:39 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 14, 2023, 03:23:12 PM

Mike
Thank you for repeating what has been already repeated in the thread.

Your welcome.

:nod:

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.