Biggest US cities without a street named “Broadway”

Started by KCRoadFan, November 15, 2023, 12:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

It seems to me like most major US cities (my city of Kansas City included) have a street named "Broadway" - the one in NYC, of course, being the most famous. The next 4 biggest cities - LA, Chicago, Houston, and Phoenix - also have a Broadway, and it seems as though Philadelphia is the largest US city without one. (Although, I suppose that only half counts, as Philly does, of course, have Broad Street.)

That made me wonder: behind Philly, what are the next biggest cities throughout the country that DON'T have a street named Broadway? (Pretty sure DC doesn't have a Broadway, either.)

Max Rockatansky

The strange thing is that Broadway in Phoenix just another east/west street.  Central Avenue more or less fits the typical "Broadway" function in the city.  Philadelphia doesn't have a Broadway but "Broad Street" essentially fulfills the same role.

Locally in Fresno the Broadway here was US 99.  Broadway is also the most butchered and neutered street in the city as much of it has been sectioned up for development.

US 89

There's no Broadway in Atlanta. There is a Broad Street but it is a minor downtown street a few blocks long, with some of it permanently closed off for conversion into a pedestrian area.

There is a Broadway in Salt Lake City, but it's just another name for 300 South, a decidedly minor downtown street, dwarfed in historic and cultural significance by South Temple and to some degree 200 South, and in modern transportation significance by 400 South.

GaryV

Broadway in Detroit is a 3-block city street radiating from Grand Circus Park. (Yes, I know Detroit is no longer one of the "biggest" US cities.)

In Grand Rapids, Broadway is a mostly residential side street.

bugo

No Broadway in Tulsa, although there are Broadways in Coweta, Broken Arrow, Sand Springs and Inola. None of them are super important streets.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: US 89 on November 15, 2023, 08:42:24 AM

There is a Broadway in Salt Lake City, but it's just another name for 300 South, a decidedly minor downtown street, dwarfed in historic and cultural significance by South Temple and to some degree 200 South, and in modern transportation significance by 400 South.

From my studies of the history of Salt Lake, I think that Broadway (3rd South) was a more important street back in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s than it came to be later. Lined with office buildings, lots of shops and angled parking. Eventually, 400 South was expanded, which took away a lot of the traffic - followed by the conversion of 500 and 600 South streets to one-way thoroughfares connecting I-15 to the east side. And 300 South gradually withered away.  Worked at an older office building on that street for a time in 1987 or so. You could tell that the area was once a more important part of town.

RobbieL2415

roadman65

Quote from: KCRoadFan on November 15, 2023, 12:51:25 AM
It seems to me like most major US cities (my city of Kansas City included) have a street named "Broadway" - the one in NYC, of course, being the most famous. The next 4 biggest cities - LA, Chicago, Houston, and Phoenix - also have a Broadway, and it seems as though Philadelphia is the largest US city without one. (Although, I suppose that only half counts, as Philly does, of course, have Broad Street.)

That made me wonder: behind Philly, what are the next biggest cities throughout the country that DON'T have a street named Broadway? (Pretty sure DC doesn't have a Broadway, either.)

Broadway and Broad Street are like apples and oranges. The former is one word that was derived by the Dutch language. The latter is a street named Broad, probably cause when the name first came out, it was applied ( most likely) to a very wide street.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Orlando and Tampa don't have one to my knowledge.

Correction. Tampa has a Broadway Avenue east of Ybor.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JayhawkCO

Denver has one, and it's the zero point for the east/west street numbering.

Dirt Roads

There is no Broadway in either Raleigh or Charlotte, but there is a Broadway Drive in Greensboro. 

And of course, Asheville has its famed Broadway Street (US-25), which is the main north-south drag through the Downtown business district.  That shouldn't be a surprise, as Broadway Street works its way northward down to its namesake, the French Broad River.

StogieGuy7

Chicago actually does have a "Broadway", which I had forgotten about since it's not that important of a thoroughfare. It's on the North Side and merges into N. Halsted at it's south end.

kphoger

The next 4 biggest cities - LA, Chicago, Houston, and Phoenix - also have a Broadway

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 15, 2023, 10:48:21 AM
Chicago actually does have a "Broadway"

Didn't read the OP?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2023, 10:50:45 AM
The next 4 biggest cities - LA, Chicago, Houston, and Phoenix - also have a Broadway

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 15, 2023, 10:48:21 AM
Chicago actually does have a "Broadway"

Didn't read the OP?

I guess his list was so long that I dozed off and missed that one.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on November 15, 2023, 09:53:03 AM
Boston?

Nope.  I found a couple of T stops called Broadway and there is a West and East Broadway in Dorchester. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't believe St. Paul has a Broadway, though Minneapolis does.

MN top 10:

Minneapolis: yes
St. Paul: no
Rochester: yes
Bloomington: no
Duluth: no
Brooklyn Park: yes
Plymouth: no?
Woodbury: no?
Lakeville: no?
Blaine: no?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2023, 11:27:25 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 15, 2023, 11:22:47 AM

Broadway St, Saint Paul

I don't know how people always manage to make me look like a complete moron within 20 seconds of me saying anything. I looked for that and nothing showed up.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

I don't believe Juneau has one. But Jacksonville does.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2023, 07:57:20 AM
The strange thing is that Broadway in Phoenix just another east/west street.  Central Avenue more or less fits the typical "Broadway" function in the city.  Philadelphia doesn't have a Broadway but "Broad Street" essentially fulfills the same role.

Locally in Fresno the Broadway here was US 99.  Broadway is also the most butchered and neutered street in the city as much of it has been sectioned up for development.
The Broadway Street in Phoenix was actually named for a person rather than being a main street.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 15, 2023, 11:31:24 AM
I don't believe Juneau has one. But Jacksonville does.

Well played!  I think Sitka also doesn't have a Broadway.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Michigan's 7 largest cities

Detroit - yes
Grand Rapids - yes
Warren - no
Sterling Heights - no
Ann Arbor - yes
Lansing - no
Dearborn - no

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 15, 2023, 11:31:04 AM

Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2023, 11:27:25 AM

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 15, 2023, 11:22:47 AM

Broadway St, Saint Paul

I don't know how people always manage to make me look like a complete moron within 20 seconds of me saying anything. I looked for that and nothing showed up.

I'm guessing you searched Google Maps for "Broadway Saint Paul MN" and then immediately hit Enter, which for me pins to Ordway Center for the Performing Arts.  I've noticed a similar issue for other street names in various locations.  It's better, in my experience, to search for "Broadway St" instead of "Broadway" (or whatever), even if you're not sure what the generic would really be, in order to cue Google in on the fact that you're looking for street names and not business names.

Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Brooklyn has a unique variant (according to the MTA at a stop on the GG):

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.