News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Federal Funding by Highway Type

Started by freebrickproductions, December 18, 2023, 01:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Does anyone know what percentage of total highway funding the Federal Government provides towards each type of highway (Interstate, US Route, State Route)? I know Interstates are 90%, with states making-up the remaining 10%, and I seem to recall seeing the other two listed somewhere, but I cannot recall where. I do recall it did step-down with each type though (US Routes receiving less Federal funding than Interstates and State Routes receiving less Federal funding), with the states providing a greater %, but I can't remember what those percentages were.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Rothman

Be careful with what you're asking for.  There are the federal shares that certain facilities and fund sources require -- Interstates, 90%, other federal-aid eligible highways, 80%...off-federal-aid system bridges, 80% for one particular fund source, and so forth.

But, when you ask how much federal-aid is available for which functional classes, that is a much more complex issue, since you're getting into the overall apportionments, the fact that certain federal fund sources have sliding federal shares and can be spent on a variety of federal-aid functional classes, and the fact that States have broad discretion over deciding where to spend their shares, whether 100%, 90%, 80%, or, if they're stupid, they can even overmatch (rather than setting up an 80/20 match with non-participating share...this gets complicated!!). 

In fact, I know of no easy way of calculating how much in FHWA's funding is spent on Interstates, the NHS, and non-NHS and then off-system where eligible.  Then you get into safety funds, where HSIP can be spent on any fed-aid facility where the benefit-cost ratio allows...

Just keep in mind that simply because federal funds can be spent at up to 90% share of NHPP funds for Interstates does not mean 90% of fededal funding is spent on Interstates.  Those percentages are of fiscal shares on a project and not of federal apportionment in any form.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

Yeah, I'm just trying to find-out about up to what percentage a state can get federal funding for construction/maintenance of a highway in terms of a percentage. I suppose the answer's much more complex than I realized.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

J N Winkler

Quote from: Rothman on December 18, 2023, 01:33:32 PMBe careful with what you're asking for.  There are the federal shares that certain facilities and fund sources require -- Interstates, 90%, other federal-aid eligible highways, 80%...off-federal-aid system bridges, 80% for one particular fund source, and so forth.

For a project being funded from a given program, is the federal funding percentage set in stone, or is a state free to negotiate a lower percentage (in effect paying part of the federal share itself) in order to spread its federal allocation across more projects?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 18, 2023, 03:22:16 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 18, 2023, 01:33:32 PMBe careful with what you're asking for.  There are the federal shares that certain facilities and fund sources require -- Interstates, 90%, other federal-aid eligible highways, 80%...off-federal-aid system bridges, 80% for one particular fund source, and so forth.

For a project being funded from a given program, is the federal funding percentage set in stone, or is a state free to negotiate a lower percentage (in effect paying part of the federal share itself) in order to spread its federal allocation across more projects?
The state can spread the federal funds out like you're suggesting.

However, what I was getting at is that although a state can, on a project, put up 40% and have a 60% federal share, the way this should be reflected for most benefit and flexibility is not a strict 60/40 share, which would lock in that ratio for the duration of the federal-aid project (FAP, whether Engineering, ROW, Construction or Misc).  What NY does and I suspect any DOT with half-a-brain is you divide it into two shares:  An 80/20 share with the 80% equalling the aformentioned 60%, but then a second, 100% "non-participating" State share.  The 80/20 preserves the higher federal share in case there are overruns.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 18, 2023, 02:32:46 PM
Yeah, I'm just trying to find-out about up to what percentage a state can get federal funding for construction/maintenance of a highway in terms of a percentage. I suppose the answer's much more complex than I realized.
Well, the way your question is asked now: Up to 100%!  Depends on what kind of funding is applied and eligibility.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.