News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Roads being closed WAYYYY Longer than it being reasonable.

Started by Genghixiani, December 20, 2023, 07:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genghixiani

(MODS PLEASE MOVE THIS WHEREVER IT GOES IF IT IS THE WRONG PLACE (it is going to be I know it haha))

So, have you ever seen a patch of road that was closed so long it was unreasonable? I have! If you have too, share your experiences here!

Here is my experience, with IN-32 left from Fishersburg from exiting Lapel. Around 2-3 miles down the road, the road is closed because of a bridge being rebuilt. 1 month goes by, not open, 3 months, not open, FINALLY after 6-7 Months, it opens back up with a PROTOTYPE. If I remember right, it was mid 2022 to early this year. Almost everyone was using IN-13 to get on IN-38, then it takes like 3x as long going that way.:banghead: Around 1 month later, it closes again this time only for a month at most. The bridge is done, and it has been open ever since.
I am trying my best. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Big John

Max Rockatansky

CA 39 south of Islip Saddle being closed for half a century but not outright abandoned will be hard to compete with. 

jlam

US 87 between Buffalo and Sheridan. A section of it had been washed away a while ago, and WYDOT has never bothered to fix it. The "temporary" detour through Story will probably become the de jure routing in due time.

Bitmapped

In Cleveland, OH, the section of Puritas Road from Greyton Road down into the Rocky River valley was closed from the 1970s until the 1990s due to an unstable hillside. The road was eventually completed rebuilt with an extensive retaining wall constructed: https://maps.app.goo.gl/3fCFSN3t82BWD6d18

In Garrett County, MD, a mile-long stretch of Accident-Friendsville Road has recurring issues with landslides. It was closed for a long time, then eventually reopened, before being closed again in December 2016. In July 2017, Garrett County decided to just abandon the affected section rather than to try repairing it again.

In 2005, a barge broke loose and got stuck in the gates at Belleville Locks & Dam on the Ohio River. This caused a loss of pool event that led to landslides. Parts of OH 124 and OH 144 around Hockingport were closed due to landslide damage. ODOT ended up relocating both roads onto new or rebuilt alignments because the original routes weren't considered economical to repair. It took until 2009 until the roads were complete on their new routings.

A bit south, OH 338 suffered from slippage along the Ohio River. It was closed for several years before ODOT fully abandoned the damaged section and turned the remaining parts over to the township.

webny99

Updated the thread title, the typo is particularly problematic because the word "close" has several different meanings, at least one of which ("a short distance away") makes no sense in this phrase.

That being said... most examples that are coming to mind are construction projects that dragged on for too long, not full roadway closures. If/when I think of any, I'll add them here.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: jlam on December 20, 2023, 08:28:35 PM
US 87 between Buffalo and Sheridan. A section of it had been washed away a while ago, and WYDOT has never bothered to fix it. The "temporary" detour through Story will probably become the de jure routing in due time.
Did you hear? WY 193 through Story has officially become US 87 as of the latest AASHTO meeting.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

oscar

Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 20, 2023, 09:52:24 PM
Quote from: jlam on December 20, 2023, 08:28:35 PM
Did you hear? WY 193 through Story has officially become US 87 as of the latest AASHTO meeting.

I drove through there in October. US 87 signage hadn't moved to WY 193. Unless something has changed in the last two months, jlam is right about "in due time".
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

If no one is clamoring to reopen the road, then it is reasonable for it to stay closed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

pderocco

The Wikipedia article on Wyoming Highway 193 is pretty interesting. It says this happened in 1998, and AASHTO rejected the request to reroute US-87. However, rebuilding the old route would somehow endanger the historic site called Massacre Hill, which is right next to the washout. It also indicates that Wyoming has added state route designations of 344 to the bit north of the washout, and 346 to the part south of it.

Google shows the Story route as US-87, but they play fast and loose with route numbers all the time. Open Street Map shows the old route as US-87, but it shows a break in it. And TravelMapping shows the north part US-87 but the south part as WY-346.

Since the two intersections between US-87 and WY-193 were rebuilt to favor the latter some time before the 2006 Google imagery, it looks permanent to me. Since there was nothing but two farms on the US-87 (and a small parking lot for Massacre Hill), I would think the people of Story are glad to have the highway traffic closer to their little burg. But I'm not WY-193 is so great. Zooming in on that new alignment in Google Earth, it looks like it gets flooded pretty easily by Piney Creek.

Genghixiani

algorerhythms

Quote from: webny99 on December 20, 2023, 09:43:50 PM
Updated the thread title, the typo is particularly problematic because the word "close" has several different meanings, at least one of which ("a short distance away") makes no sense in this phrase.
Yeah, I don't like when roads are too close to me for too long. I prefer to have personal space.

Genghixiani

That being said... most examples that are coming to mind are construction projects that dragged on for too long, not full roadway closures. If/when I think of any, I'll add them here.

Thank You! My typos have been getting out of hand lately.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Genghixiani on December 21, 2023, 07:25:42 AM

Thank You! My typos have been getting out of hand lately.

Geng - webny99's correction is only valid for his response, and anyone that responds to him directly.  To change the original subject heading, go to your first post, click 'Modify', then you can change the subject heading for anyone that sees the thread.

Genghixiani

thanks, I am still semi-new of making posts. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone!

Genghixiani

Quote from: Rothman on December 20, 2023, 10:41:57 PM
If no one is clamoring to reopen the road, then it is reasonable for it to stay closed.

Very true.

ran4sh

Quote from: pderocco on December 21, 2023, 03:02:08 AM
The Wikipedia article on Wyoming Highway 193 is pretty interesting. It says this happened in 1998, and AASHTO rejected the request to reroute US-87. However, rebuilding the old route would somehow endanger the historic site called Massacre Hill, which is right next to the washout. It also indicates that Wyoming has added state route designations of 344 to the bit north of the washout, and 346 to the part south of it.

Google shows the Story route as US-87, but they play fast and loose with route numbers all the time. Open Street Map shows the old route as US-87, but it shows a break in it. And TravelMapping shows the north part US-87 but the south part as WY-346.

Since the two intersections between US-87 and WY-193 were rebuilt to favor the latter some time before the 2006 Google imagery, it looks permanent to me. Since there was nothing but two farms on the US-87 (and a small parking lot for Massacre Hill), I would think the people of Story are glad to have the highway traffic closer to their little burg. But I'm not WY-193 is so great. Zooming in on that new alignment in Google Earth, it looks like it gets flooded pretty easily by Piney Creek.

If the WP article is that detailed, then it should probably be imported into the AAR wiki article as well
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

thspfc

The ramp from I-94 EB to I-894 SB in Milwaukee (IIRC) was closed for what is as of now a double-digit percentage of my lifetime. Anyone under 40 can say the same.

Occidental Tourist

Fullerton Road at CA-60.  Just north of the interchange is an at-grade railroad crossing.  In June 2019, they closed Fullerton Road at the railroad crossing to build a set of bridges to grade separate the railroad and a nearby service road from Fullerton Road.  More than four years later, Fullerton Road still hasn't been reopened.

Apparently the original contractor got fired midway through the project and they had to send it out for rebid.

jeffandnicole

Earlier this year, the NJ 140 bridge over I-295 NB was hit by a overheight truck.  The State left it closed.  Amazingly, a few months later, the bridge was hit *again*.  The bridge provided plenty of clearance; these were trucks that had malfunctions or overheight equipment that hit the bridge.  NJDOT hasn't fixed the bridge, instead, from what's been said, they're going to redesign and replace the bridge, but nothing public has been made available regarding such.

roadman65

Pipkin Road in Lakeland, FL has been closed EB from Harden Blvd to FL 37 for almost two years. It was supposed to be opened last Summer as the nature of the one way close is to add a third lane( center turn) and better sidewalks. 

As I write, it still has a long way to go to be completed. Traffic WB is now on the EB side with the WB dug up while using the completed EB travel lanes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

pderocco

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on December 22, 2023, 01:13:20 PM
Fullerton Road at CA-60.  Just north of the interchange is an at-grade railroad crossing.  In June 2019, they closed Fullerton Road at the railroad crossing to build a set of bridges to grade separate the railroad and a nearby service road from Fullerton Road.  More than four years later, Fullerton Road still hasn't been reopened.

In Street View, and GE 3D imagery, it looks like they might be planning Fullerton Rd to go under the other roads and tracks. That doesn't look easy, so it will probably be another year or two.

TheHighwayMan3561

The section of Minnesota TH 210 through Jay Cooke State Park was washed out in notorious regional flooding in June 2012. MnDOT punted on what to do with it as they did not want to repair it but public pressure overwhelmingly forced them to have to do so. It reopened in fall of 2017.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bing101

Parts of CA-1 in Pacifica prior to the Tom Lantos Tunnels being built was at one point had sections that was called Devils Slide due to landslides in the area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.