News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

People who have both their first and last names as street names

Started by Streetman, December 29, 2023, 03:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Streetman

After seeing this topic on streets that have a person's full name:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=34315.0
I thought of several cases where the first and last names of the same person are used on different streets in my area. One such person that should be familiar is Eli Whitney. Whitney Avenue runs from the center of New Haven, CT past the site of his gun factory just over the city line in Hamden. Half a mile north of there, a short Eli Road intersects the avenue. In Hamden, there are a half dozen other cases of first and last names of someone used for intersecting or adjacent streets. Generally they were property owners, in one case a serviceman who died in the Korean War.
This may be of interest only to others like me who have done some research into the origin of street names in their communities, but I wanted to bring it up.

epzik8

In Seabrook, Maryland, there is Presley Road, off which is Elvis Lane.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

TheHighwayMan3561

I won't post it since she's not famous, but I chuckle as there's an intersection near my grandma's former assisted living unit that carries the full name of someone I went to HS with.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GaryV

There are several obvious ones. For example, George Washington. Tons of roads and streets named after Washington, and there are George Streets around - 3 within several miles of my location alone. Pick a few other presidents and statesmen, and I'm sure you'll find others.

NWI_Irish96

Patrick and Henry are a one-way pair in Alexandria, VA.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

roadman65

Morris Street in Phillipsburg, NJ along with Morris Avenue in Union County, NJ can be either as Morris is both a first or surname.

Ditto for Ross Street in Clark, NJ. It can be a first and last name.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

Quote from: roadman65 on December 30, 2023, 11:20:49 AM
[] is both a first or surname

Several more like this - Travis, Parker, Connor, Bryan, Bruce to name a few

Streetman

Quote from: GaryV on December 30, 2023, 11:12:11 AM
There are several obvious ones. For example, George Washington. Tons of roads and streets named after Washington, and there are George Streets around - 3 within several miles of my location alone. Pick a few other presidents and statesmen, and I'm sure you'll find others.
I should have made clear that there should be some evidence that both streets are named for the same person. The less distance between them, the greater chance they are so named. A street named George could be for someone other than the president with that name. first or last.

dlsterner

Baltimore's John Eager Howard (1752-1827) has three streets in Baltimore named after him:

(as you would guess) John Street, Eager Street, and Howard Street.  (Despite the commonness of John and Howard, the streets were indeed named after him)

Nearby Howard County was also named after him.

A variation of the OP's topic - former Maryland Governor Oden Bowie (1826-1894) has had two cities named after him - Odenton and Bowie.

KeithE4Phx

Two former NFL players not only have their first and last names as street names in the Phoenix area, but their first and last names intersect:

1.  Gilbert Brown, Defensive Tackle, Green Bay Packers (1993-2003).  The intersection of Gilbert and Brown Rds is in northeast Mesa AZ, at 2000E and 1200N.

2.  Tatum Bell, Running Back, Denver Broncos (2004-08).  The intersection of Tatum Blvd and Bell Rd is in northeast Phoenix AZ, at 4800E and 17000N.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

-- US 175 --

A town in east TX, Jacksonville, has a Woodrow St. and a Wilson St.  Woodrow is just north of a Union Pacific rail line and Wilson is just south of it.  I would guess those namings are for the past president, though I've never heard for sure.  The town is old enough for him to have had some kind of influence on it, maybe enough for the street namings.

1995hoo

As has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum, US-1 through Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, is a twinned pair of one-way streets named Patrick and Henry, an obvious reference to Patrick Henry. When Alexandria decided to apply a new name to their portion of Jeff Davis Highway, they opted not to use "Patrick Henry" in part because there is a street of that name (Patrick Henry Drive, which is a far less important residential street) in nearby Arlington County.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tmoore952

Honorable mention:

My hometown (Wilmington DE) has a DuPont Street. But there are so many famous duPonts that there is no "first name" street.

1995hoo

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on December 31, 2023, 07:40:57 AM
A town in east TX, Jacksonville, has a Woodrow St. and a Wilson St.  Woodrow is just north of a Union Pacific rail line and Wilson is just south of it.  I would guess those namings are for the past president, though I've never heard for sure.  The town is old enough for him to have had some kind of influence on it, maybe enough for the street namings.

What would be uncanny would be if there were a Thomas Street nearby. Wilson's full name was Thomas Woodrow Wilson.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

-- US 175 --

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 31, 2023, 11:15:49 AM
Quote from: -- US 175 -- on December 31, 2023, 07:40:57 AM

What would be uncanny would be if there were a Thomas Street nearby. Wilson's full name was Thomas Woodrow Wilson.

AFAIK, there isn't a Thomas St. anywhere near Woodrow or Wilson, and I don't remember a Thomas St. anywhere in the town.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.