News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highway Shiels and University Logos

Started by CanesFan27, January 10, 2024, 07:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

Recently, there has been a small debate within the various hobby forums if the Michigan State Highway Shield uses the Block M from the University of Michigan.  And whether or not Wyoming does and if North Carolina did.

So I decided to take a closer look at all three states and found out that no it's not the University of Michigan's block M on their highway shield, nor did North Carolina use the UNC interlocking NC on their shields (from 1921 - 1960s). Wyoming does - however, that is more of an overall state symbol.

Still curious - give it a read - "Highway Shields and University Logos"
https://www.gribblenation.org/2024/01/highway-shields-and-university-logos.html

ran4sh

On this forum there was a post where someone thought the Arch symbol used by the University of Georgia is a University symbol and the state also uses that UGA symbol on the state flag.

The point is, it could be considered a state symbol rather than strictly a university symbol, in some cases.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

Even if you consider the cowboy symbol on the Wyoming shield to be a state symbol, it is trademarked, and the trademark is held by the University of Wyoming. So you have to get the university's permission to sell anything with that symbol on it. Jake Bear asked if we could make and sell Wyoming shields, and they said no, so that's the one state highway marker we aren't allowed to sell. (Good thing it's not a very popular state.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 10, 2024, 08:44:31 PM
Even if you consider the cowboy symbol on the Wyoming shield to be a state symbol, it is trademarked, and the trademark is held by the University of Wyoming. So you have to get the university's permission to sell anything with that symbol on it. Jake Bear asked if we could make and sell Wyoming shields, and they said no, so that's the one state highway marker we aren't allowed to sell. (Good thing it's not a very popular state.)

Makes a decent flag, though:
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

It would, but if that was the state flag then anyone who wanted to make a state flag would need the approval of the university.

Trademarks are incredibly stupid.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 10, 2024, 10:25:26 PM
It would, but if that was the state flag then anyone who wanted to make a state flag would need the approval of the university.

Trademarks are incredibly stupid.

Ditto if the Wisconsin state flag was changed to be a red sheet with the stylized 'W' that is used on badgers' football helmets or Georgia used their helmet logo 'G' (although the Georgia 'G' might also need licensing approval from the Green Bay packers).

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.