News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2012, 09:02:39 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 11, 2012, 09:00:03 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on September 11, 2012, 08:42:40 PM
[generic Maryland guide sign]
Huh?

My thoughts exactly.  I didn't exactly go, Holy crap, that's the worst of road signs, when I saw it....

The only thing that jumps out at me is the tiny text in the gargantuan exit tab. But that's just Maryland being Maryland.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

Or the fact that it's Clearview, but that's also just Maryland being Maryland.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Scott5114

Or the arrow halfway between centered and right aligned, but that's...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

national highway 1

Quote from: PennDOTFan on September 11, 2012, 09:12:32 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 11, 2012, 09:02:39 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 11, 2012, 09:00:03 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on September 11, 2012, 08:42:40 PM
[generic Maryland guide sign]
Huh?

My thoughts exactly.  I didn't exactly go, Holy crap, that's the worst of road signs, when I saw it....

The only thing that jumps out at me is the tiny text in the gargantuan exit tab. But that's just Maryland being Maryland.
Actually it's the excessive spacing between 'EXIT' and '74'.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

vtk

Mis-centered arrow, huge gap between EXIT and its number, overuse of Clearview, questionable BGS-variant design for state route marker; definitely "signs with design errors" territory, but probably not "worst of".  (Especially if most Maryland guide signs have the same problems...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kj3400

I should think they don't....just the new ones...
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Eth

Yeah, that's just a perfectly average Maryland BGS.  You become numb to them after a while.

hbelkins

Sorry, but this old US 202 sign has to go here:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

What's the deal with that 7 in the Interstate shield?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Ian

Quote from: vtk on September 13, 2012, 05:19:33 PM
What's the deal with that 7 in the Interstate shield?

Looks to be the old NYSDOT font.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

hbelkins

There are a few of those "jowly" US shields in the Roanoke, Va. area, I think. I know I've seen them somewhere before but can't remember where.

zorb58

Alright, so I'm sitting here going though this post, listening to music, minding my own business, and I glance up to the Ole Miss and Texas game on tv only to catch a glimpse of a green guide sign style speed limit regulatory sign that was in the background of an interview. :o

hbelkins

Found 'em. They're from my Michael Summa collection. Adam Prince calls 'em "chipmunk shields."

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'm sorry but I don't like diamond signs with the "suggested" speed stuck onto the sign as an after-thought.
In this instance, this is along Morrow County (Ohio) Road 15, about a mile west from my house. I had to crank the zoom on my camera all the way up to show the '35'

In this next instance, there is nothing wrong, style wise, with either sign. It's just that the county decided to use both numbers and names on seperate signs at an intersection. Maybe just an one time anomally.

(somewhere NE of Marietta, Ohio)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Takumi

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 20, 2012, 10:26:31 PM
I'm sorry but I don't like diamond signs with the "suggested" speed stuck onto the sign as an after-thought.
There's a whole topic about those here, although that one is definitely the worst specimen I've ever seen.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

More Hopewell horrors...

And some awkward-looking new stuff on VA 195.

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

agentsteel53

what's wrong with the first 156 shield?  apart from it being narrow, which implies it just conforms to an older standard.

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 24, 2012, 05:16:15 PM
what's wrong with the first 156 shield?  apart from it being narrow, which implies it just conforms to an older standard.

The points are way too sharp, especially the top corners. Then again, it does look better than the triangular VA 36 shields in Petersburg.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

here I thought that was 1970 standard instead of 1961.  as I'm not a VA expert, I'll take your word on it that it sucks.

not a cutout.  it sucks.  :sombrero:

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

There were three cutouts left in Hopewell as recently as 2006, as well as a white border unisign. Now it's down to the cutout in front of the bowling alley.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on September 24, 2012, 04:57:08 PM
More Hopewell horrors...

That sure wasn't there last time I was. Is that on 156 or 10?

EDIT: I figured out the shape.

WillWeaverRVA

It's on VA 156 northbound, near VA 10.
Will Weaver

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.