News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite Interstate

Started by Voyager, January 17, 2009, 11:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

Can anyone guess mine?  :-D

jgb191

Interstate 37 is by far my favorite.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Mr_Northside

While the Pittsburgh-area interstates are more important and useful to me, I might have to join the I-68 camp. Especially when compared to the PA Turnpike (completely rebuilt sections not withstanding).  Almost always a very enjoyable drive.
I'll also give I-97 an honorable mention, not because of the interstate itself, but because if I'm driving it, it almost certainly means that I'm on my way to the beach. (or on my way home).
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

leifvanderwall

These are my top 5 favorite interstates:
1) Interstate 4 - Everytime I'm on it, I feel like I'm on vacation.
2) Interstate 75 - Great scenery on this road in different states and it even goes to the UP.
3) Interstate 95 -especially from Baltimore to West Palm Beach; it's the busiest interstate for a reason.
4) Interstate 76 in Pennsylvania: The scenery makes the Quaker state look good.
5) Interstate 80 : Both sides of my family used to live along the Joliet-Homewood corridor in Illinois. If you want to go somewhere: like NYC, Cleveland, Chicago, Omaha, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, and San Fran. I-80 is your route. It's even the route for Notre Dame Football.

Honorable mentions:
1) Interstate 275 in Michigan : Perfect bypass of Detroit, but those control cities need to be changed.
2) Interstate 65: Goes through some great cities: Nashville, Birmingham, Louisville, and Indianapolis; is a great route to Chicago also.
3) Interstate 96: The main street of Michigan, in my opinion.
4) Interstate 68: I agree there is some great scenery on this road and a half way decent alternative to the Penna Turnpike.
5) Interstate 24 from Nashville to Chattanooga: Want to drive through mountains? Try I-24.

Least favorite interstates:
1) I-94 in Michigan: sections of this road in Van Buren and Berrien Counties are getting wore out.
2) I-90 from the Black Hills to I-35: Pretty boring.
3) I-94 in North Dakota: Yawn!
4) I-90 Indiana Toll Road/Chicago Skyway : The most ugliest scenery you would not ever want to see, giant power lines and smoke stacks galore and the trek ends with a million or so potholes and a McDonald's on the other side of the Skyway. Not to mention the awaiting traffic jam when 90 merges with 94 in downtown Chicago.
5) I-294 in Illinois: Great Chicago Bypass but it comes at a steep price and by the time you get through the fifth round of toll booths your patience will wear thin.
6) I-44 in Oklahoma especially between Tulsa & Okla City: great time for a nap.
7) I-8 from I-10 to Cleveland National Forest: Better take your most comfortable pillow.

tchafe1978

My favorite stretch of interstate is I-94 from Madison to Milwaukee. I drive it all the time on the way back to my hometown to visit family.

Jim

My favorites:

I-90 - the longest and just a couple miles from where I grew up and live.

I-70 through the Rockies - you won't find scenery like that on many Interstates.

I-75's Alligator Alley - for being so straight and flat and desolate (though usually with plenty of traffic).

I-40 west of Albuquerque and into Arizona - great variety of scenery.

I-80 - connecting two great cities and great bridges - GW Bridge to Bay Bridge and a great ride over the Sierra along the way.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Plutonic Panda

My favorite interstate would be I-40 or I-15 so far. For 3DI, I like the 405 vibe but the 210 is a beautiful highway to drive on but for some reason the 10 is more fun. I'd have to go with the 405. I really love the 5 in Orange County. Very aesthetically pleasing to drive on.

7/8

Of the ones I've been on, in no order...

Top 3 2DI's:
I-77 - the portion from US 19 in Beckley, WV to NC is beautiful, and I find the truck runaway ramps really cool. I especially like the moment heading SB when you leave the tunnel and see the Welcome to Virginia sign; for some reason, I have clear memories of that from my childhood road trips.
I-44 - I really enjoyed the roller coaster feel of the Missouri portion, though US 65 south of Springfield managed to be even more exciting!
I-86 (east) - So much prettier than the Thruway to the north, and free :)

Top 3 3DI's:
I-190 (NY) - Entering Buffalo from the Peace Bridge has been a memorable start to many of my vacations, and of course the Celino & Barnes billboards are classic.
I-476 (PA) - The lack of a left shoulder and lots of construction can make this drive a bit stressful, but I can't deny that there was lots of great scenery on here, and a road tunnel is always a bonus.
I-255 (IL/MO) - Maybe an odd choice, but I drove there last year in late April/early May and it was my first time crossing the Mississippi River. Also, the transition from the flat landscape, and somewhat bare trees in Illinois to the hilly and fully green trees of Missouri was very striking. It looked like the middle of summer! It was a bit sad at the end of the trip seeing the bare trees in Ontario.

jakeroot

Holy revival!

Moving past that, I quite like I-705 in Tacoma, Washington. It's relatively short (1.5 miles -- the 11th shortest signed, interstate-standard freeway in the US), but it's signed at 60 mph, the standard interstate limit around here. It feels more like a parkway, with lots of over-growth, shrubs and vines, and several drops and inclines, making it very fun to drive. Only annoying bit is that I routinely have to honk at drivers to speed up (lots of drivers going well below the limit, though not enough that lowering the limit would be necessary -- there's still plenty of drivers going well above 60, 70, even 80 sometimes).

TheHighwayMan3561

From a purely personal standpoint, it's northbound I-35 from Hinckley to Duluth. Otherwise it's hard to go against the already-repeatedly-cited-to-death I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Tom958

I know I've answered this before.  :clap:

Mine, believe it or not, is I-85, mainly because I've seen it evolve over most of my 57 years on this Earth. Even the most boring parts are able to provoke some interest for me, and it's still very much a work in progress.

epzik8

I wouldn't have re-opened a topic that wasn't replied to in seven years. But I might as well post in it now that it's active again.

I'll have to go with I-83, the Baltimore-Harrisburg corridor.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

pianocello

I love driving in the mountains. Since I don't get to do that very much, I'd have to say my favorite is I-68.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: epzik8 on August 28, 2016, 10:08:46 AM
I wouldn't have re-opened a topic that wasn't replied to in seven years. But I might as well post in it now that it's active again.

My bad. I didn't know whether to start a new topic on it or not as I contemplated but figured there was already a topic I didn't want to create a duplicate thread.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 28, 2016, 03:45:13 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on August 28, 2016, 10:08:46 AM

My bad. I didn't know whether to start a new topic on it or not as I contemplated but figured there was already a topic I didn't want to create a duplicate thread.

Reviving a thread from 2009 is better than starting a new one.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

sparker

Based totally on scenery:  5, 84 (west), 87 (the real one), 86 (east), 89, 91, 90 (west of Rapid City and east of Cleveland makes up for the slog in the middle), 70 (between 15 & 25 only), 81 (but you can't let the scenery distract you from the traffic).
Interesting cities served: 5, 94 (I like Mpls/St. Paul; don't ask me why!), 75 (I'm including Miami-Dade metro), 10 (NOLA makes that happen), and, of course, 95.
Food along the route: 10 (NOLA, LA, TexMex), 80 (SF, NY metro), 40 (various BBQ, of course); had good stuff from Albuquerque to Asheville, 90 (Seattle [overall, best Thai in US], Chicago, Boston), 49 (Cajun in Lafayette, Morgan City), 85 (more BBQ), 35 (Austin [Franklin, Stubb's], KC [various]), and, of course 5 (multiple In-n-Out in CA plus a couple of Fuddruckers in OR, Buster's BBQ in Portland, and various Thai in Seattle).  If you have the impression I like good BBQ, you would be correct!   

freebrickproductions

For me, probably I-565.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Max Rockatansky

I-70 simply for the section between I-15 in Utah to I-25 in Denver.  Nowhere else in the country will you find an Interstate that approaches the same scenic value for such a sustained period of time.  For the most part I don't generally enjoy Interstate driving as it's more meant for point A to B but that's the one big exception in my book.

I-15 has parts like Cajon Pass and the Virgin River Gorge that I enjoy also...I guess that would be second.

Rothman

When I was younger than 6, my favorite was I-465, since I was fascinated with the concept of a beltway.

Got a little older and it became I-80, since my family drove a big chunk of it a bunch of times to get to my grandparents' place in Utah (Hazleton, PA to Salt Lake City, UT).

Not sure what my favorite is now.  I-90 comes to mind first, due to just the sheer differences in terrain that it covers (Boston, Berkshires, Midwest, Plains, Montana, Seattle).  I-68 and I-79 also come to mind for the fond memories (I-79 in WV was fairly new when my family started driving it and I remember when US 48 became I-68 and what the old US 40 route was like).  Love the entrance into Pittsburgh on I-376 (what was I-279).

I give up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

pumpkineater2

I'd have to say I-17, though I'm probably being a bit biased since its an intrastate Interstate highway in my home state. But it is a great drive, with all the ups and downs and curves. The transition from pines to saguaros in such a short distance still amazes me.

I guess my next favorite interstate is I-40. I really want to, and plan on driving its entire length all at once, west to east, hopefully within the next couple of years. I even plan on getting out and taking pictures of/with the famous sign in Barstow.  I actually want to do this with all of the major east/west Interstates ending in 0(except 20 and 30), but I want to do I-40 first, since it has the closest terminus.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Strider

Man, I have a lot of favorite interstates (I just started traveling a lot lately). They are: I-95 (between Richmond, VA and Philly), I-93 (between Boston, MA and Concord NH), I-77 (from VA to WVA border), I-81 in PA, I-87/287 in NYC area, I-85 (between Greensboro and Charlotte), and more.

If I have to pick one, I would say I-73 between Asheboro and north of Greensboro. Although I-73 is still under construction from PTI airport to NC 68 north of Greensboro, I have been to the construction site a lot, judging from what I see, it will be fun to drive when the new segment is finished.

Rothman

Have to say that the worst in my book is I-95 south of DC to Fredericksburg.  Miserable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jbnati27

Well, my favorite is...I-26! But primary the Tennessee and North Carolina sections. The portion from Spartanburg to Columbia is OK, too. I'm not a big fan of the part East of Columbia.

My list is as follows:
1. I-26 (sections mentioned above)
2. I-84 (Western part, from Portland to The Dalles)
3. I-68
4. I-77 (WV/VA/NC)
5. I-86 (East)

I absolutely loathe I-75 between Dayton and Cincinnati.

roadman65

I-76 in PA between Valley Forge and Lebanon-Lancaster as well as further west between Carlisle and New Stanton.
I-24 through the mountains west of Chatanooga is nice. Also in Western KY is pretty good too.
I-40 through NM and AZ east of Kingman.
I-99 (ugh even though the number stinks) the road is quite scenic from its southern terminus to Altoona.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kennyshark

Let's see...

Favorites:

I-75 in Kentucky, Tennessee & Northern Georgia
I-80 in Pennsylvania (border to border)

Honorable Mention:

I-40 in Eastern Tennessee & North Carolina.  Very beautiful, but the 25 miles on either site of the border keep you too busy to enjoy the scenery.  It's like driving in a simulator.

Least Favorites:

I-70 between Indianapolis & St. Louis - Welcome to "Watching Paint Dry Theater"
I-55 between St. Louis & Joliet - See I-70 and multiply by 3
I-4 especially Metro Orlando

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.