News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sine salad

Started by hbelkins, August 29, 2012, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I actually like nearly everything about the newer ones better than the older ones–including the lowercase letters and the left justification (and I like center justification a lot).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 10, 2013, 12:03:00 PM
Welp, I stand corrected.

It certainly is weird seeing Interstate used on traffic signs, though.
It's still a mockup. When it comes to actual sign design, they'll put the right things in the specifications for the signs (which all have standard FHWA-like designations).

Does NYC publish a Standard Signs book? I've tried to find them before, because I know their signs have standard designations, with no luck.

Central Avenue

Fair enough.

It does make me wonder why the city would use a commercial typeface for the mockup instead of using the fonts they'll use on the final sign, but I guess expecting the government to make sense is a fool's errand.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

apeman33

Quote from: US71 on November 21, 2012, 09:13:01 PM
Quote from: Milepost61 on November 20, 2012, 11:14:11 PM
Paonia, Colorado:

Reminds me of rural Iowa.

Kingman County, Kansas, has some sine salads somewhat like this one but not with as many layers. They typically come at intersections with U.S. 54/400 or K-14 south of Kingman, which are the dividing lines in the E-911 address system. So if you're on the side road, you'll see (in the best rendition I can do without a photograph):

[U.S. HWY 54]
            |
[^ NW 150TH RD]
            |

And from U.S. 54, you see:
            |
[< SW 150TH RD]
            |
[NW 150TH RD>]

cpzilliacus

U.S. 29/U.S. 50, City of Fairfax, Virginia:

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Va. 236 westbound approaching U.S. 50 and U.S. 29, still in the City of Fairfax:

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cjk374

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 13, 2013, 11:30:58 PM
Va. 236 westbound approaching U.S. 50 and U.S. 29, still in the City of Fairfax:

Is that I-66 shield on a black background?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cjk374 on January 14, 2013, 07:37:44 PM

Yes, I believe that it is.

Sorry, these images were taken with a Blackberry camera, not my "real" camera (which has much better resolution.

Milepost61

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 14, 2013, 07:57:21 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 14, 2013, 07:37:44 PM

Yes, I believe that it is.

That black background is standard issue at WisDOT.

WichitaRoads

THREAD EXHUMATION INITIATED...

Sorry to wake the dead, but I have a link here that I wasn't sure exactly where to put. It's a bit o' salad, but also kind of a Bad Design/Placement issue...

http://goo.gl/maps/692EV

I took a pic of it also back in April (but can't seem to post it :/ ) at K-177 and the KTA entrance in extreme north Butler County at Cassoday. Still there as of last week. It has so much going on, and why the hell is the arrow on top like that? It doesn't apply to everything below it. Does MUTCD allow it?

ICTRds

apeman33

Quote from: WichitaRoads on August 17, 2013, 02:08:46 PM
THREAD EXHUMATION INITIATED...

Sorry to wake the dead, but I have a link here that I wasn't sure exactly where to put. It's a bit o' salad, but also kind of a Bad Design/Placement issue...

http://goo.gl/maps/692EV

I took a pic of it also back in April (but can't seem to post it :/ ) at K-177 and the KTA entrance in extreme north Butler County at Cassoday. Still there as of last week. It has so much going on, and why the hell is the arrow on top like that? It doesn't apply to everything below it. Does MUTCD allow it?

ICTRds

The arrow on top is likely just sloppy installation. I've seen a few others but they usually get corrected.

One I haven't seen corrected yet is the
[Business]
[JCT]
[{69}]
assembly on the north side of Arma. I had a pic of it at some point but I can't remember where it is.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Milepost61 on November 20, 2012, 11:14:11 PM
Paonia, Colorado:

I know I'm probably going to catch flack for this because it's from a fictional series but the above-sine salad reminds me alot of this:

Sign error/repetition: there are two SEOUL signs on that post.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

formulanone

I count 18 shields in this photo, located in Dothan, Alabama.

agentsteel53

what's the point of 210?  looks like it's multiplexed with at least one US route throughout its entire existence.

if they wanted a beltway number, why not put the US routes back on the old city alignments?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

I actually agree with the AL 210 signing, only because you at least know it forms the ring road to another route. I never noticed a single directional banner for a 210 sign the entire week I was there. Not knowing a lot about the history of the area, I suppose the Business routes are the superfluous ones.

I guess in theory, it's pointless, but it at least serves the purpose of being on "the circle", which is the hub of activity around the city.

jeffandnicole

Guess they couldn't have placed the MP 13 sign anyplace else, huh?

NYhwyfan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 30, 2013, 08:40:43 AM
Guess they couldn't have placed the MP 13 sign anyplace else, huh?

Ha, I thought the same thing. Why not place it below the US 84 left arrow.

Mergingtraffic

Southern states seem to be the mecca of US routes.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Brandon

Some salad from the prairie:

East Peoria, IL
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JoePCool14

For IDOT, I really like that sine.  :pan:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

cjk374

Quote from: Brandon on March 07, 2014, 08:59:43 PM

East Peoria, IL

You also have 3 different directions on 1 strip of pavement...very nice!   :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

JMoses24

Quote from: cjk374 on March 09, 2014, 10:41:17 AM
Quote from: Brandon on March 07, 2014, 08:59:43 PM

East Peoria, IL

You also have 3 different directions on 1 strip of pavement...very nice!   :clap:

Including the obvious wrong-way concurrency. (East US 24/West US 150)

doorknob60

I could've sworn I saw a decent (I thought 6 shields) one at the intersection of US-20/26 and I-84 in Caldwell, ID. Unfortunately, Google's street view imagery is outdated (they still have 20/26 as a two lane road, they recently upgraded a section of it there to 6 lanes!), and the most I could find was 4 shields. So either they added more when they added more lanes (very possible) or my memory is bad (less possible; if it was just four signs, I wouldn't have immediately thought of this thread when I saw them!).

talllguy

Note the low placement of an interstate shield. This is on MD 355 in North Bethesda.

355 Sign Salad by Elliott P, on Flickr

hbelkins

I found some old Sine Salad. Thankfully, it never goes out of date...

I will serve up some more old salad later.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.