News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Loop 49, Tyler, TX - New Segment Opens

Started by wtd67, November 10, 2012, 04:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtd67

http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20121110/NEWS08/121119988

Toll 49 segment connects Texas highways 155 and 31

BY KELLY GOOCH
kgooch@tylerpaper.com

A new segment of Toll 49 officially opened to traffic Friday, providing residents with potentially faster commutes.

Representatives from the Texas Department of Transportation and surrounding communities were on hand for the ribbon-cutting ceremony.

Segment 3A, which runs north connecting Texas Highway 155 to Texas Highway 31, allows residents to drive from Texas Highway 110 in Whitehouse to Texas 31 in about 15 minutes, according to a TxDOT news release.

Construction began in 2009 on the 5.9-mile segment that connects Toll 49 at Texas 155 in Noonday with Texas 31 between Tyler and Chandler, TxDOT officials said in a news release. The $38 million project was funded through some traditional state highway funds, funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act and local partnerships.

Smith County Judge Joel Baker, who serves on the Tyler Area Metropolitan Planning Organization Policy Committee, called the ribbon-cutting "a great day in Smith County and for East Texas and the entire region."  He also thanked the "unsung heroes in our community"  who began the Toll 49 vision years ago as well as others who've been involved with the project.

"I, with a lot of East Texans, look forward to driving this beautiful drive connecting us from 155 to Highway 31, and I look forward to another great opening in the spring where we can drive all the way from Whitehouse to I-20 pretty quickly,"  Baker said. "It is a great day and a great celebration for Smith County."  

Mayor Barbara Bass echoed the sentiments, saying, "Today is an exciting day for East Texas and for everyone who has the opportunity to travel through this area. I've been privileged to see all of the segments of Loop 49 open and look forward to that piece in the spring that will get us all the way to Interstate 20."

More than 15 years ago, Mayor Bass said she was asked to speak to the Texas Transportation Commission as a representative from Tyler. She said she heard other communities with a story of, "If you build it, they will come,"  but her message was "We have already built it. They are already here. We need a way to get them around this town."

Throughout the years, TxDOT has supported the city's efforts, and various groups have come together to bring a tremendous result, she said.

"What is good for Tyler, Lindale, Noonday and this East Texas area is good for Texas,"  Mayor Bass said.

North East Texas Regional Mobility Authority board member Barham Fulmer said the authority also is excited about this step because it takes Toll 49 out to Texas 31.

"I knew when we built the first segment, we were on our way, and today is another step,"  he said, adding that March 2 is now the tentative date for the next section to open. "We're going to finally get to I-20. Today is a great day, but that day will be a day to be remembered."

There is no charge for Segment 3A until Dec. 3.

Therefore, Texas Transportation Commissioner Jeff Austin III encouraged the public to "drive it and see how much time it can save."  When charges take effect for that section, it will cost $1.55 to drive from Texas 110 to Texas 31.

TxDOT officials also encourage the public to use caution on Segment 3A in the coming weeks as final work is completed.

"This is a choice for economic development, to help improve air quality and move traffic in and around congested area, so we're really excited about what's happening,"  Austin said.

Segment 3A is the latest section of Toll 49 to open.

Segment 5, which runs between Texas 110 and Farm-to-Market Road 756 (Paluxy Drive), opened to traffic in late June. As part of that opening, new traffic signals were activated at Toll 49 and Texas 110 north of Whitehouse and at Farm-to-Market Road 2964 (Rhones Quarter Road).

The two-mile segment, along with Segment 1 and 2, which have been in operation, connects Texas 155 to Texas 110. Together, the projects, including Segment 3A, stretch more than 16 miles and connect Chandler to Whitehouse.

Segment 3B of Toll 49, which will connect Texas 31 and I-20, is scheduled to open to traffic next spring, officials said.

Segment 4 of Toll 49, also known as the Lindale Reliever Route, would connect U.S. Highway 69 in Lindale to Interstate 20, according to a news release. TxDOT officials said planning is under way.

Austin said planning also is under way to take Toll 49 to the east side of Tyler near U.S. Highway 271, using the highway as a conduit. Ultimately, the project is expected to go over to Harrison County.

"It is a regional project, and it will bring regional solutions to improve the traffic safety and mobility because it's all about economic development,"  Austin said. "As we look at retaining jobs throughout the state, there are challenges, but local solutions make this happen."

East Texans can purchase a TxTAG this week at the Tyler area office at Toll 49 and Texas 155, Austin said. TxTAGs will be sold between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, and between 8 a.m. and noon Thursday.

Austin said people with more than one vehicle can set up a fleet account for their company or household.

TxTAGs also can be purchased by calling 1-888-Go-TxTAG or by logging on to www.txtag.org.

Staff Writer Adam Russell contributed to this report.

Federal Route Sixty-Nine

judging by the number of replies to this thread, texas toll 49 is wildly popular.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Federal Route Sixty-Nine

Quote from: wtd67 on November 10, 2012, 04:40:00 PM
http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20121110/NEWS08/121119988
East Texans can purchase a TxTAG this week at the Tyler area office at Toll 49 and Texas 155, Austin said. TxTAGs will be sold between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, and between 8 a.m. and noon Thursday.

Office hours of Tuesday thru Thursday, with Thursday being a half day. Those hard-working east Texans got it good, real good.

InterstateNG

Fuck off, blawp.

You moderating lot going to do anything, or just stick your collective heads in the sand?
I demand an apology.

bugo

They overmoderate this chat board over minor things but when a real troll shows up, they do nothing.

Federal Route Sixty-Nine

Why is it wrong to point out strange office hours? Some people might actually want a TXTag more than just 2.5 days per week.

Alps

Quote from: Federal Route Sixty-Nine on November 13, 2012, 07:39:51 PM
Why is it wrong to point out strange office hours? Some people might actually want a TXTag more than just 2.5 days per week.
We banned you for your California bias, and most moderators want to ban you again regardless. So if you put down other states, I'm going to join their ranks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.