News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 15, 2021, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: US71 on June 15, 2021, 04:29:00 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 15, 2021, 04:15:04 PM
This project will save what 5 minutes of travel time?

Compared to what?
Don't even waste your time questioning. He's just trolling, he's virtually anti-anything expansion/growth with seemingly no personal experience with the area in question, despite how much it's needed.

I might need to change my avatar.  But, the more I think about it, US-412 has more relevance in my area than almost any other.  So, I guess I'll keep it and post relevant, useful information about the area I live in that others in other areas might still care about.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on June 15, 2021, 06:08:26 PM

Compared to what?
Don't even waste your time questioning. He's just trolling, he's virtually anti-anything expansion/growth with seemingly no personal experience with the area in question, despite how much it's needed.

I might need to change my avatar.  But, the more I think about it, US-412 has more relevance in my area than almost any other.  So, I guess I'll keep it and post relevant, useful information about the area I live in that others in other areas might still care about.

You could always change it to 68 (or 16) ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Compared to what?

If you're still posting here a few years down the road, you just may have a shiny red, white, and blue shield occupying or paralleling the section of US 412 nearest your residence, with an equally new number on it.  That could conceivably be your new avatar -- one that you don't have to share with our own Dr. No!   

US71

Quote from: sparker on June 15, 2021, 08:08:50 PM

Compared to what?

If you're still posting here a few years down the road, you just may have a shiny red, white, and blue shield occupying or paralleling the section of US 412 nearest your residence, with an equally new number on it.  That could conceivably be your new avatar -- one that you don't have to share with our own Dr. No!   

I don't see that happening anytime soon.  John Paul Hammerschmidt "built" I-49 in NW Arkansas, but there is no one of his caliber in Arkansas today,

sprjus4

It could be simply when a number is established, even if it's not built for another 20 years.

MikieTimT

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 15, 2021, 09:03:40 PM
It could be simply when a number is established, even if it's not built for another 20 years.

I'm surprised they didn't just go ahead and put the number in the legislation like they did for I-57.  I guess because it isn't extending a pre-existing Interstate.  Still, seems like an oversight to not just go ahead and get I-50 on the books and make Lowell/Springdale the "crossroads" of the Interstate Highway System with I-49 being as close to the middle of the numbering as it is.

MikieTimT

Drove Future I-49 again yesterday for some follow-up work and noted that they did put some of the guardrail end signage on the middle section due in July, and have a stretch of the cable barrier strung with cable, but only about half of it at this point.  Still, daily progress is evident.

msunat97

The 71/49 intersection is shaping up nicely.  there are even new light poles & traffic lites installed.

MikieTimT

Quote from: msunat97 on June 16, 2021, 02:03:32 PM
The 71/49 intersection is shaping up nicely.  there are even new light poles & traffic lites installed.

They started that yesterday.  Had to swing around that bucket truck yesterday evening on what will become the southbound US-71 offramp turning south on US-71.  Still have the lights under the overpass to start on, but it shouldn't take long at this point.

sparker

Quote from: MikieTimT on June 16, 2021, 12:25:37 PM

I'm surprised they didn't just go ahead and put the number in the legislation like they did for I-57.  I guess because it isn't extending a pre-existing Interstate.  Still, seems like an oversight to not just go ahead and get I-50 on the books and make Lowell/Springdale the "crossroads" of the Interstate Highway System with I-49 being as close to the middle of the numbering as it is.

It's possible that the yearly USDOT outlay bill hasn't been marked up yet -- possibly awaiting some resolution of the larger infrastructure proposals.  That's where any legislation regarding establishing a new Interstate corridor would end up.  East of Tulsa, the US 412 corridor is also HPC #8; since that's where virtually all of the new construction would be located, the section from Tulsa to Springdale would be parsed out and designated as an Interstate via an amendment to the original 1991 ISTEA corridor authorization.   If a specific number is selected prior to the insertion of such an amendment, it would be added to the FHWA Interstate list with a cross-reference to the "future Interstate" designation in this year's bill (that's how I-11 was added to a portion of HPC #26 in AZ and NV and later to HPC #68 for the extension to I-80).  If anyone wants I-50 (or another number), now's the time to contact the authors of the general corridor legislation and put your two cents in (particularly if you're a constituent)!

MikieTimT

Quote from: sparker on June 16, 2021, 04:31:11 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on June 16, 2021, 12:25:37 PM

It's possible that the yearly USDOT outlay bill hasn't been marked up yet -- possibly awaiting some resolution of the larger infrastructure proposals.  That's where any legislation regarding establishing a new Interstate corridor would end up.  East of Tulsa, the US 412 corridor is also HPC #8; since that's where virtually all of the new construction would be located, the section from Tulsa to Springdale would be parsed out and designated as an Interstate via an amendment to the original 1991 ISTEA corridor authorization.   If a specific number is selected prior to the insertion of such an amendment, it would be added to the FHWA Interstate list with a cross-reference to the "future Interstate" designation in this year's bill (that's how I-11 was added to a portion of HPC #26 in AZ and NV and later to HPC #68 for the extension to I-80).  If anyone wants I-50 (or another number), now's the time to contact the authors of the general corridor legislation and put your two cents in (particularly if you're a constituent)!

In fact I am a constituent of 2 of the co-authors.  And I just did given the same arguments about the "crossroads of the IHS".  Either that, or Missouri will end up with it in the Neosho area.

msunat97

Looks like SB 49 has the asphalt base laid down today

MikieTimT

Quote from: msunat97 on June 17, 2021, 07:19:28 PM

Still rolling it at this very moment!

Road Hog

Quote from: MikieTimT on June 17, 2021, 07:31:16 PM

Will it be topped by concrete? They will lay the rebar on top of the base and will then bring one of those Gomaco concrete setters. At that point you can start the 4-month timer for opening.

msunat97

Quote from: Road Hog on June 17, 2021, 11:39:59 PM

Will it be topped by concrete? They will lay the rebar on top of the base and will then bring one of those Gomaco concrete setters. At that point you can start the 4-month timer for opening.

Based on how the rest of the area looks, i would assume a concrete layer is coming.  They did lay down a concrete curb in the middle of the roadway from the overpass to existing I49.  That makes it more likely that the surface will be concrete.

MikieTimT

Quote from: msunat97 on June 18, 2021, 07:56:40 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on June 17, 2021, 11:39:59 PM

Based on how the rest of the area looks, i would assume a concrete layer is coming.  They did lay down a concrete curb in the middle of the roadway from the overpass to existing I49.  That makes it more likely that the surface will be concrete.

Being that this is a separate project from the rest of the remaining Arkansas mileage, they may put concrete on top.  However, on the project that's wrapping up next month to the north has the northbound lanes in asphalt even though the southbound lanes were done in concrete years ago.  They haven't striped them yet, but already have done the rumble strip all the way up to Rocky Dell Hollow, so it isn't likely to be overlaid with concrete at this late stage.  In a nutshell, we likely won't know until we either start seeing rebar laid over the top, or rumble strip cut.

bugo

Quote from: bwana39 on January 27, 2021, 11:46:17 AM
Temporary routing... That is such a can of worms. Back in the 1920's and 30's when the US Highway system was getting numbered. US-59 initially had a gap from Boston Tx (The then Bowie County Seat today it is just a part of New Boston, the current county seat) to Page OK because there was no Red River Bridge on what is currently TX-8 and AR-41.. In the thirties, they approved a "temporary routing" following US-67 from Maud to Texarkana, US-71 to Mena, and US-270 to Page OK.  The only change since then was to follow then SH-47 from Linden to Texarkana via Atlanta. This temporary routing is still in place a century later more or less.  Temporary routings create excuses to never build the permanent one.

I am not sure what the originally proposed routing was. I have heard AR-41 to DeQueen AR and US-70 to Broken Bow OK. Then following the approximate US-259 route to Page OK.

Do you have a cite for this? The only evidence I have ever found is in a document from Oklahoma that vaguely mentioned a temporary routing. Following 259 to 70 to 41/8 would make less sense of a routing than the current route does. And OK 103 (modern US 259) between Octavia and Smithville wasn't completed until the 1960s. If they were going to reroute it, they would have done it in 1963 when OK 103 and parts of OK 21 were renumbered as US 259.

msunat97

Looks like the SB lane of I49 is going to be asphalt per traffic cams.  they are laying the 3rd layer today.

Avalanchez71

What is the price tag per mile for this pork project?

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 22, 2021, 12:54:50 PM
Have you ever driven through the area at peak hours?

Prediction: you won't respond to this.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 22, 2021, 12:57:43 PM

Yes
Every MSA has traffic.

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 22, 2021, 01:19:49 PM

Yes
Every MSA has traffic.
Wow, I'm surprised you acknowledged it.

Now, the DOT is building a bypass of the congested area to provide a free-flowing route to link two unjoined portions of interstates to provide a continuous route for regional and through traffic. How is this a bad thing?

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 22, 2021, 01:21:39 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 22, 2021, 01:19:49 PM

Yes
Every MSA has traffic.
Wow, I'm surprised you acknowledged it.

Now, the DOT is building a bypass of the congested area to provide a free-flowing route to link two unjoined portions of interstates to provide a continuous route for regional and through traffic. How is this a bad thing?

"Every MSA has traffic".  Is that statement intended to provide justification for inaction to relieve it?  Maybe there's a world view floating around out there that states or implies that people are supposed to endure obstacles and hardships without attempting to do something about them -- and that somehow collective action toward relief is untoward/unwarranted/blasphemy?  NWA's been growing by leaps and bounds for at least the past three decades; getting it efficiently connected to the rest of the country would by any measure be in the top three list of regional "things to do"; the fact that it took this long just goes to show the sorry state transportation funding is in these days -- in fact, I was originally surprised that Wal Mart didn't step up with some sort of private financing package when both states were scrambling to come up with the bypass funding, just to have a free-flow path from their HQ area north to I-44 and KC (but in retrospect not really shocked, as their business plan calls for as little unsecured outflow as possible). 

Despite naysayers, eventually identified and sufficiently warranted projects to address unfulfilled needs on a local and/or regional (and occasionally national) basis will be undertaken.  Nobody really wants to wear that hair shirt for any length of time! 

US71

I noticed today tat MoDOT is starting to pave their section of I-49

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: US71 on June 22, 2021, 09:29:11 PM
I noticed today tat MoDOT is starting to pave their section of I-49

Which part of I-49 did you see, the Northern interchange with US 71, the MO 90 interchange, or something else?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.