News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

FADED Beyond Recognition

Started by architect77, November 01, 2014, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 09, 2022, 10:22:14 PM
Here are some faded signs on a BGS.

Practically unreadable now.

https://goo.gl/maps/9xieKS4fjHwWKg9T8
That's Google Maps.  Signs could have been replaced by now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tolbs17

Quote from: Rothman on February 09, 2022, 10:29:46 PM

Yes they could have, it makes me ask why are they still there?

formulanone

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 09, 2022, 10:32:24 PM

Send a polite email off to NCDOT if you want to help or know for sure.

tolbs17

Quote from: formulanone on February 10, 2022, 10:26:29 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 09, 2022, 10:32:24 PM

Send a polite email off to NCDOT if you want to help or know for sure.
Will do.

CovalenceSTU

Cairo, IL: (first pic is from 2014, second is 2019)

Newest Street View on this one is from 2014 but it's probably still there:

formulanone

On the other hand, there were two yellow yield signs still hanging around in Cairo in 2020.

----------------

My guess is that they're waiting to replace the entire thing after construction has completed at I-95 and I-595:

CovalenceSTU

Quote from: formulanone on December 31, 2022, 07:27:18 PM
On the other hand, there were two yellow yield signs still hanging around in Cairo in 2020.

I saw them both poking around Street View for that kind of thing, as well as a pre-1971 Do Not Enter sign (only a block away from the yield sign I posted) that hasn't faded a bit. Is there a thread for very old signs still in use? :D

Mr. Matté

Not that it gets a whole lot of traffic, but this freeway ends sign probably dates back to when this was actually I-170 in Baltimore:

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Rothman

Probably not faded beyond recognition, but pretty darned faded, by Dinosaur BBQ, no less.  Probably been shared somewhere on the forum before, but here's my shot of it:

20230826_172145
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

Came across this rather worn out specimen while looking around Jackson County, AL, on Google Maps yesterday evening.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

tmoore952

NB I-270 in Maryland -- over main lanes guessing somewhere between Falls Rd. and Rt. 28 (I see this sign all the time but since I'm driving I don't remember exactly where it is). There is a sign above the road listing upcoming exits. One of the three (?) exits listed is I-370. There is a small shield on the sign but the numbers have nearly (or completely) faded away.

I have lived in the area for 23 years and I am pretty sure that sign predates me.

The corresponding sign in the SB direction (several miles north of I-370, and therefore about 8 to 10 miles north of the aforementioned one) is brand new and that is because one of the exits listed on that sign is the new Watkins Mill Road interchange.

EDIT - see post 76 in this thread for a picture of the faded sign that I mention. That post is from SIX years ago. Sign is still there.

ErmineNotyours

74/171FAN

I think the faded sign was the old Appomattox River sign.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218792931494875&set=a.10218793136620003)

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

formulanone

IN episode IV

"Hidden Drive"
sign on Garden Road
near Vineland, New Jersey.
Rebel sun has infiltrated the Empire's
traffic control devices in attempt to thwart a
proposed trade route between Cape May and Delaware
Water Gap. A standoff between button copy and directly-applied
signage looms as negotiations break down at the Taylor Ham factory...

Big John

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Scott5114

Thank God that Clark County felt the need to fix the error on this sign. I don't know what we'd do if it had the wrong street name suffix. We might, I dunno, not recognize which street this is or something.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 29, 2024, 06:49:12 PM
Thank God that Clark County felt the need to fix the error on this sign. I don't know what we'd do if it had the wrong street name suffix. We might, I dunno, not recognize which street this is or something.

That's a weird instance of one set of street blades getting replaced while the other on the same post does not. I don't usually see that around Vegas, except in cases of street name changes (which is clearly not the case here).

EDIT: Found it on Street View. That assembly is unusual in and of itself, because it's a separate set of street name signs from those that appear above the stop sign on Aldora Ave, which is somewhat unusual (at least in current practice). Also interesting is that they put "W" for the Rainbow Blvd directional when it should be "S".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

plain

"Fade" to black. This is on US 1's short run on Azalea Ave in Richmond. If you go back to the 2007 GSV, you can see it was already starting to turn.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MJbijkKo2HH8evqK6

Image from yesterday

moto g pure

Newark born, Richmond bred

mglass87

These no parking signs at Brightpoint Community College in Chester, VA:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/AKgWnyAhJNn1THn97

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.