News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best alt route between Richmond & Norfolk?

Started by MarylandMichael, July 21, 2017, 12:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarylandMichael

For anyone who travels to Norfolk I was wondering if there is a good alternate route to I-64 whether it's a VA state route or US highway.  I like scenic routes and get very bored on I-64 and with the construction lately I really don't like it.  Google maps said take US-460 but that seemed really far out of the way.  I see there is US-60 that parallels I-64 for most of the way, is that not a good route to take?  Is there a lot of one lane roads or something?  Also what is US-460 like?

Thanks!

amroad17

There are a few different ones.  It is just your choice of wanting to drive two- or four-lane roads.

Coming from Maryland, and around the Washington area I am presuming, here are some options...

1.  I-95 south to Exit 126 (US 1/US 17).  Follow US 17 south all the way to Newport News and pick up I-64 east there.
    - US 17 is four-lane divided from US 301 all the way to Newport News
    - US 17 bypasses some towns like Saluda and Gloucester, however, south of Yorktown is rather suburban and traffic light congested
2.  I-95 south to Exit 98 (VA 30-Doswell/Kings Dominion exit).  Follow VA 30 east through West Point and pick up I-64 east south of West Point
    - VA 30 is mostly two lanes and may be a slower drive--positive is not as much traffic as you may encounter on I-64
3.  I-95 south, I-295 south to Exit 15A (VA 10).  Follow VA 10 east past Smithfield to US 258 north, then follow US 17 south to I-664 south to I-64 to I-464 north to get to Norfolk
    - VA 10 is mostly two lanes, and like the VA 30 example above, traffic is moderate
    - using this route allows you not to deal with the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (especially on weekends) and you can avoid the toll of the I-264 Downtown Tunnel between Portsmouth and Norfolk
4.  Using #3 except following I-295 to Exit 3A (US 460).  Follow US 460 east to US 58 east just outside of Suffolk.  Follow US 58 (along with US 13 and US 460) to I-64 and then I-464 north to Norfolk.
    - US 460 is mostly four lanes undivided from I-295 to the Suffolk Bypass with the slowdowns in Waverly, Ivor, Wakefield, and Windsor
    - I live in Northern Kentucky and would rather drive this way to Va. Beach than deal with the I-64 traffic between Richmond and Norfolk (my two cents)
5.  Following US 60 from I-295 to VA 30 near Toano (Anderson's Corner), then following VA 30 south to I-64 at Exit 231
    - This would be the somewhat slower way from Richmond to near Williamsburg as US 60 is four lanes divided and does not go through many towns
    - I would not suggest following US 60 all the way to Newport News unless you want to check out Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, or even Carter's Grove Plantation

Of course, it depends on what part of Norfolk you want to go.  If it is near downtown or along Va. Beach Blvd., options 3 or 4 would be best.  If you are going to be near the Naval Base, Ocean View, or near the airport, then options 1 or 2 would be better.  Or you could just brave I-64 if it was near the middle of the day during the weekday.  On the weekends, it would be better to avoid going over the HRBT and follow I-664 south over the Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel which would run you into option 3 when crossing US 17 in Suffolk.

Hope this helps!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Mapmikey

Two more options:

I-295 to VA 5, then VA 5 to VA 199 (right turn) to avoid central Williamsburg.  Essentially all 2 lanes, but pretty scenic.  only 1 settlement between I-295 and Williamsburg (Charles City).

If you just want to avoid the construction part you can try VA 143.  Access at the Camp Peary exit or via the eastern VA 199 interchange.  Follow VA 143 down to VA 105 or to where it crosses I-64 again near the NN Airport.  North of Williamsburg is 2 lane but the rest is 4-lane undivided.

plain

If you can you should try to time it to where you arrive in the area at night after the traffic has died down. But if not.....

Even though it seems out of the way, if your destination is Norfolk then given the I-64 construction US 460 is BY FAR the best alternate.

VA 143 and especially US 60 have been ridiculously congested for months now because of people trying to escape the interstate, especially on Fridays (US 60 gets stacked on its 2 lane portion from Bush Gardens all the way to Fort Eustis). My brother lives on US 60 in the Grove area and I go to his house every weekend or every other so I have no choice but to deal with it...

The VA 5 and VA 30 suggestions normally are great to avoid I-64 west of Williamsburg but will place you into the same situation I described above.

US 17 is pretty good like amroad17 mentioned but you still have to deal with the almost always congested HRBT, or the MMMBT if it happens to be congested as well (usually just AM and PM rush hours both directions weekdays).

VA 10 in this case would be the next best thing to US 460, but you'll have to drive through Hopewell as well as mostly 2 lane road beyond that as mentioned.

The only thing about US 460 is the speed traps, just watch out in the little towns.

Also, unless you do manage to use the HRBT, a decision should be made on whether or not you want to pay a toll to reach Norfolk...
Newark born, Richmond bred

froggie

I have a lot of experience with this, having been stationed twice in Norfolk.

US 460 is indeed a bit out of the way, and also more dangerous than the norm due to its 1930s-era undivided design.  Unless your destination is Suffolk, Portsmouth, or western Chesapeake, I'd generally avoid it (nevermind that, to get to/from 460, the Hopewell cops love to hang out on their tiny corner of I-295).

You won't save any time, but US 60 is a quiet and pleasant alternative to the I-64 rat race between I-295 and the fringes of Williamsburg.  I'd typically connect to it via Exit 205/VA 249 and Exit 231/SR 607 (with a little bit of VA 30's southern end mixed in).

Thing 342

Would definitely recommend VA-143 over US-60 on the Peninsula, as it's almost entirely 4/6-lane and has better stoplight synchronization and a higher speed limit than US-60.

Most of the other good alternatives to the HR area from I-95 have been mentioned already (US-60 / US-460 / US-58), but my preferred one would be to take US-17 SE from Fredericksburg all the way to VA-173 on the other size of the Coleman Bridge, then take VA-173 and VA-143 back to I-64, avoiding the frequently-congested area on 17 from Grafton to I-64.

Would also advise against using VA-5 / VA-10 / VA-30 / etc unless you want a scenic drive, as they're fairly twisty and seem to attract a lot of slow drivers.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on July 21, 2017, 12:50:25 PMUnless your destination is Suffolk, Portsmouth, or western Chesapeake, I'd generally avoid it (nevermind that, to get to/from 460, the Hopewell cops love to hang out on their tiny corner of I-295).

The Hopewell municipal police apparently want nothing to do with the I-295 Hopewell speed trap.  The only Hopewell law enforcement agency that runs that speed trap is the Hopewell city sheriff's office.

Quote from: froggie on July 21, 2017, 12:50:25 PMYou won't save any time, but US 60 is a quiet and pleasant alternative to the I-64 rat race between I-295 and the fringes of Williamsburg.  I'd typically connect to it via Exit 205/VA 249 and Exit 231/SR 607 (with a little bit of VA 30's southern end mixed in).

I like VA-5 from I-295 to VA-199.  An easy and quiet (but not especially fast) ride. From there, take VA-199 to U.S. 60 or to I-64.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

As others have noted, if you do use US-460, watch your speed. Easy to get nailed through the towns on that road, not just on I-295.

I like VA-5 for its scenic value.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LM117

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2017, 07:30:41 AM
As others have noted, if you do use US-460, watch your speed. Easy to get nailed through the towns on that road, not just on I-295.

Especially Waverly. That town had the heaviest enforcement between Petersburg and Suffolk when I last came through there in September 2010 on my way to Norfolk from Farmville. Others were pretty heavy, but not as bad as Waverly.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Rothman

Quote from: LM117 on July 22, 2017, 10:14:35 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 22, 2017, 07:30:41 AM

Especially Waverly.
^This.  Got snagged myself.  Do not speed up until strictly after the speed limit signs.  Got nailed accelerating about 150 ft prior.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

I second the VA 5 route. It's a really nice drive and typically doesn't have a great deal of traffic. You do have to be aware of cyclists along the Virginia Capital Trail, but that's not usually a problem since there are very few crossings and the trail has dedicated ROW anyway. You can get to VA 199 and VA 143 in Williamsburg.

US 60 isn't bad either. I don't really care much for US 460 anymore because of the speed traps in the towns along the way.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

I'll also recommend VA 5. I took it to the outskirts of Williamsburg today and it was a great drive. I hopped onto I-64 between VA 199 and Phoebus, and that was, uh, not so fun. Heavy traffic, ongoing construction, accidents...
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

plain

^ That construction is why I recommended avoiding the Peninsula altogether, it's been congested on all three roads from the Bush Gardens area eastward and doesn't look like it's going to get better until construction wraps up east of Exit 242 (VA 199).

If the OP really wants to go this way then take any route you wish to reach Williamsburg (I generally use US 60 east of I-295 if I-64 is packed). From Williamsburg eastwards is the bottleneck... VA 143 is preferred (though it was backed up itself yesterday from near BG up to VA 238 and again approaching both VA 105 and VA 173, it took me an hour to reach I-64 at Exit 255 from Exit 242 VA 199). If you do want to use VA 143 make sure you reach it by VA 199 (Exit 242A if you do happen to be on the interstate) as it will be too late after that point and you'll be committed to either the construction zone or US 60's 2 lane portion through Grove (via Exit 243), both of which are worse than VA 143 through this area when traffic is bad.

Otherwise I'd stick with night time hours (if possible) or just go south of the James River from the Richmond area to avoid this mess until the construction is done.

Also to the OP, I didn't ask before but what region of Maryland are you coming from?

Takumi

Quote from: plain on July 23, 2017, 07:08:24 PM
^ That construction is why I recommended avoiding the Peninsula altogether, it's been congested on all three roads from the Bush Gardens area eastward and doesn't look like it's going to get better until construction wraps up east of Exit 242 (VA 199).

If the OP really wants to go this way then take any route you wish to reach Williamsburg (I generally use US 60 east of I-295 if I-64 is packed). From Williamsburg eastwards is the bottleneck... VA 143 is preferred (though it was backed up itself yesterday from near BG up to VA 238 and again approaching both VA 105 and VA 173, it took me an hour to reach I-64 at Exit 255 from Exit 242 VA 199). If you do want to use VA 143 make sure you reach it by VA 199 (Exit 242A if you do happen to be on the interstate) as it will be too late after that point and you'll be committed to either the construction zone or US 60's 2 lane portion through Grove (via Exit 243), both of which are worse than VA 143 through this area when traffic is bad.
Traffic wasn't quite that bad for me. I made the mistake of joining I-64 at VA 199 west because I'd stopped at the Ross on Mooretown Road and it was right there. Traffic was backed up on 64 eastbound most of the way between 199 west and VA 143 at Camp Peary due to a breakdown or something (I say "or something" because it was just a state police cruiser and some people on the side). It would have been faster if I'd jumped onto Rochambeau Drive to Camp Peary and gotten onto 64 there. From the state police car traffic flowed freely for a few minutes, until I reached the construction area. I bailed out at VA 105 and jumped onto 143 for awhile (traffic wasn't too bad at this point, just before noon), got lunch, and rejoined 64 at VA 171 because I was in the wrong lane to get on it directly from Jefferson. By then traffic on 64 was flowing freely again, until past 664 when an accident had shut down the left lane before 60/143 (which just exacerbated traffic woes there since the right lane already ends there). I was heading to Fort Monroe, so I had a few choices as to when to exit 64. Driving through town a bit was quicker than if I'd stayed in the traffic jam all the way to Mallory.

Since I'm on the south side of the river I usually take VA 5 to Williamsburg and VA 10 back. The ferry is much more enjoyable on the way back for some reason.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

Never got a speeding ticket on US 460 (or in Emporia either, for that matter), but did get a speeding ticket on VA 5 near Charles City Courthouse.  Turned on from VA 155 and thought the limit was 55.  County cop disabused me of that notion...

EricJV95

Be warned !!! Rt. 460 is a big speed trap between Petersburg and Suffolk (60 Miles) !!!! Best bet is to use Rt. 10 from I-95 / 295 via Hopewell (watch your speed in Hopewell) and follow thru Surry and Smithfield. After Smithfield on Rt. 10 (EASTBOUND); Turn left onto RT. 258 / 32 North and follow it 3 miles until you reach Rt. 17. Then follow Rt. 17 South thru Suffolk until you get to Rt. 164. Follow 164 EAST towards Portsmouth and Norfolk. Then you can either follow to Rt. 58 EAST for the Midtown Tunnel to Norfolk. Or stay on 164 to the END at I-264 EAST where you will follow I-264 EAST thru the Downtown Tunnel to Norfolk and follow 264 EAST out to Va. Beach. You'll duck all of the 64 traffic and duck the 460 speedtrap between Petersburg and Suffolk.

Mapmikey

Hopewell can be avoided by using VA 5 and VA 106 across the James River to reach VA 10.

Rothman

Detours sound like they'd take longer than just slowing down for the speed trap towns.

And I say that as someone who got nabbed on US 460 (and then discovered how horrible those towns really are).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

plain

Quote from: EricJV95 on December 23, 2021, 10:47:41 PM
Be warned !!! Rt. 460 is a big speed trap between Petersburg and Suffolk (60 Miles) !!!! Best bet is to use Rt. 10 from I-95 / 295 via Hopewell (watch your speed in Hopewell) and follow thru Surry and Smithfield. After Smithfield on Rt. 10 (EASTBOUND); Turn left onto RT. 258 / 32 North and follow it 3 miles until you reach Rt. 17. Then follow Rt. 17 South thru Suffolk until you get to Rt. 164. Follow 164 EAST towards Portsmouth and Norfolk. Then you can either follow to Rt. 58 EAST for the Midtown Tunnel to Norfolk. Or stay on 164 to the END at I-264 EAST where you will follow I-264 EAST thru the Downtown Tunnel to Norfolk and follow 264 EAST out to Va. Beach. You'll duck all of the 64 traffic and duck the 460 speedtrap between Petersburg and Suffolk.

Not worth it at all. For all that you might as well obey the speed limit on US 460.

Alps

Quote from: EricJV95 on December 23, 2021, 10:47:41 PM
I've clinched that stretch of 460 without issue. Do what traffic's doing.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: froggie on July 21, 2017, 12:50:25 PM(nevermind that, to get to/from 460, the Hopewell cops love to hang out on their tiny corner of I-295).

I wonder of people keep thinking to the days when 295 was 55 mph. With a 70 mph limit, the so-called speed trap on 295 simply doesn't exist anymore.  On my relatively rare trips on 295, I think I saw a cop once, and he clesrly didn't care about me doing 74 in a 70.

Does anyone actually have any modern experiences of getting stopped on 295 in Hopewell, or have we entered urban-legend territory here? If a cop is waiting for someone to go 80+, that's not much of a speed trap at that point.

Mapmikey

I don't know if Hopewell is a speed trap or not still, but their law enforcement is still consistently present. I see at least one person pulled over just about every time I go through there. What I don't know is if they are pulling people for just above 70 or there is a steady stream of people running 80+.  It has been years since I witnessed a pullover where I would know how fast the motorist was going.  I try not to exceed 70 going through there.

FWIW, I routinely use 460 to the Tidewater area and have no issues with speed enforcement. Th reduced speed areas are very well posted, so the fact that some of the towns have strict enforcement need not be an issue.

sprjus4

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2021, 08:54:39 AM
Quote from: froggie on July 21, 2017, 12:50:25 PM(nevermind that, to get to/from 460, the Hopewell cops love to hang out on their tiny corner of I-295).

I wonder of people keep thinking to the days when 295 was 55 mph. With a 70 mph limit, the so-called speed trap on 295 simply doesn't exist anymore.  On my relatively rare trips on 295, I think I saw a cop once, and he clesrly didn't care about me doing 74 in a 70.

Does anyone actually have any modern experiences of getting stopped on 295 in Hopewell, or have we entered urban-legend territory here? If a cop is waiting for someone to go 80+, that's not much of a speed trap at that point.
The speed trap is definitely still there - police presence from Hopewell cops is still there on a regular basis.

However, it is true that you are not going to get pulled over unless you are traveling more than 80 or 85 mph.

It's not worth avoiding, just slow your speed to 70-75 mph when you go through the area and you'll be fine.

Same with US-460. The towns certainly have speed traps and the rural areas in between at times, however it's still faster just to travel 55-60 mph (as slow crawling as they may feel on an open highway that should be 65-70 mph) and slow down through towns then drive out of the way on other routes just to avoid it.

Rothman

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 24, 2021, 09:14:46 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2021, 08:54:39 AM

The speed trap is definitely still there - police presence from Hopewell cops is still there on a regular basis.

However, it is true that you are not going to get pulled over unless you are traveling more than 80 or 85 mph.

It's not worth avoiding, just slow your speed to 70-75 mph when you go through the area and you'll be fine.

Same with US-460. The towns certainly have speed traps and the rural areas in between at times, however it's still faster just to travel 55-60 mph (as slow crawling as they may feel on an open highway that should be 65-70 mph) and slow down through towns then drive out of the way on other routes just to avoid it.
For what it's worth, my speeding ticket was for speeding up 100 feet before the 45 mph speed limit sign heading out of town (so, for 40-45 in a 35 or something like that) -- Waverly.

So, be very careful.

74/171FAN

I clinched VA 47 from South Hill to Pamplin City, and I would consider it a good alternative to avoid that section of US 460 if going from Hampton Roads to Lynchburg.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.