News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Team Nicknames you have

Started by roadman65, October 08, 2019, 06:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on October 11, 2019, 06:48:41 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 11, 2019, 01:01:00 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 11, 2019, 12:02:54 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 11, 2019, 10:38:09 AM
Unfortunately the planets aligned this year where the NFC East plays the AFC East, so the three 0-16 contenders will all knock each other from the running. Jets and Dolphins will probably split their pair against each other and the Skins will probably beat one or the other at worst.

The Bengals, too, could still theoretically go 0-16, but AFC East also plays AFC North this year, so they should get to 2-14 by default.

I'm assuming Andy Dalton is good enough to get them at least a handful of wins by default.

If Andy Dalton is the answer, it's a stupid question.

I'll rephrase, the Bengals at least appear to be a bad NFL team whereas the Dolphins and Redskins are arguably minor league caliber.  By the same token Andy Dalton is definitely a bad starting quarter back but his passer rating is still above 80.  Either way I'd still take the Bengals to win 3 games over what chance the Dolphins and Redskins have. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 11, 2019, 09:46:20 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 11, 2019, 06:48:41 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 11, 2019, 01:01:00 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 11, 2019, 12:02:54 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 11, 2019, 10:38:09 AM
Unfortunately the planets aligned this year where the NFC East plays the AFC East, so the three 0-16 contenders will all knock each other from the running. Jets and Dolphins will probably split their pair against each other and the Skins will probably beat one or the other at worst.

The Bengals, too, could still theoretically go 0-16, but AFC East also plays AFC North this year, so they should get to 2-14 by default.

I'm assuming Andy Dalton is good enough to get them at least a handful of wins by default.

If Andy Dalton is the answer, it's a stupid question.

I'll rephrase, the Bengals at least appear to be a bad NFL team whereas the Dolphins and Redskins are arguably minor league caliber.  By the same token Andy Dalton is definitely a bad starting quarter back but his passer rating is still above 80.  Either way I'd still take the Bengals to win 3 games over what chance the Dolphins and Redskins have.

The trend in this area now is to be upset with Mike Brown.

Quote from: kurumi on October 11, 2019, 09:27:45 PM
"Habs": Montreal Canadiens (Les Habitants)

I never knew the origins of that moniker until just now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Interestingly the Redskins play at the Dolphins tomorrow (didn't know until I heard on the radio).   Right now Washington is a 4 point road favorite which is pretty clear condemnation on what the book is on the Dolphins. 

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 12, 2019, 02:21:50 PM
Interestingly the Redskins play at the Dolphins tomorrow (didn't know until I heard on the radio).   Right now Washington is a 4 point road favorite which is pretty clear condemnation on what the book is on the Dolphins.
TAAAAAANNK BOWWWWLLL!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on October 12, 2019, 07:22:33 PM
TAAAAAANNK BOWWWWLLL!

Toilet Bowl would probably be more accurate. 

KEVIN_224

I was a Dolphins fan for 36 of my 48 years. Stress...WAS. I finally gave up on them this year. Only one Super Bowl appearance in that whole time (loss to San Francisco in XIX). The closest they would get since was the AFC Championship game against New England before XX and Buffalo before XXVII.

Still have all the love and respect in the world for Don Shula and Dan Marino. :)

Beltway

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 12, 2019, 08:21:48 PM
I was a Dolphins fan for 36 of my 48 years. Stress...WAS. I finally gave up on them this year. Only one Super Bowl appearance in that whole time (loss to San Francisco in XIX). The closest they would get since was the AFC Championship game against New England before XX and Buffalo before XXVII.
Still have all the love and respect in the world for Don Shula and Dan Marino. :)
After Baltimore won the World Series in 1983, I rooted for them for many years as being the local team for my area in the pre-Nats era.

After about 20 years of nothing, I gave up on the Orioles.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 12, 2019, 07:29:39 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 12, 2019, 07:22:33 PM
TAAAAAANNK BOWWWWLLL!

Toilet Bowl would probably be more accurate.

You have a few of those Suck for Tua bowls coming up: Redskins/Dolphins, Jets/Dolphins (twice), Jets/Redskins, Jets/Bengals, Bengals/Dolphins.  Somebody has to win those games (unless we get a rare tie)

I've never actually given up on a team for incompetence.  As a Sox fan, I dealt with Buckner and Aaron F Boone.  As a UConn fan, I dealt with the lesser known Christian Laettner shot in the 1990 East Regional Finals. I've dealt with 15 years of futility in the 90's and 2000's by the Celtics, as well as the Whalers never getting past the 2nd round.   And right now, UConn football couldn't beat Trinity, Tunxis Community College, or Southington High School.  I've only given up on one team: The Whalercanes, but that's because they gave up on Hartford.  I remained an orphaned Whalers fan for years and couldn't follow Sleazy Petey Karmanos's franchise after being stabbed in the back.  I would support a new team in Hartford in a heartbeat.  But, unless Bettman leaves and the temperature in Hades falls to 20 below and there are blizzard conditions, it won't happen.  I've since gravitated to the archrival Bruins because I'm Boston for pretty much everything else, and my dad watched them during the Orr/Espo heydays.  Now, NFL football is a different story.  When I started watching around 1985, the Pats and the Giants were always on, and it was okay to root for both because they rarely played each other, and had never played each other in a meaningful game.  That is...until SB XLII.  I had to become Switzerland, as I watched two of my proverbial siblings battle to the death.  I was shielded from 18-1 only because it was the Giants, otherwise that would rank right up there in pain.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 12, 2019, 10:17:22 PM
Somebody has to win those games (unless we get a rare tie)

Three of the last four seasons (including 2019) have featured at least one tie game.

Big John

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 12, 2019, 10:27:53 PM
Somebody has to win those games (unless we get a rare tie)

Three of the last four seasons (including 2019) have featured at least one tie game.
...and OT was changed to 10 minuted, increasing the possibility.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Big John on October 12, 2019, 10:30:11 PM

I still hate that rule change.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 12, 2019, 10:32:51 PM

Ties are like kissing your sister.  College football did away with them, and even the NHL did away with ties by adding the shootout.  NFL should just go to NCAA overtime rules, not make it so we see more of them (you'd see 1 every 2-3 seasons on average with the 15 minute OT).   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 12, 2019, 10:32:51 PM

And its sole reason is in case some unlucky team has to play Thursday night after a Sunday OT. They should just fucking move football to Thursday because that's what they seem to want.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

There was already one tie this year.  Also, I don't think the Redskins are intentionally bad just managed by an incompetent owner. 

Bruce

Sounders are the Flounders for rival teams. At least we're delicious.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 13, 2019, 12:28:44 AM
Also, I don't think the Redskins are intentionally bad just managed by an incompetent owner.

Calling Dan Snyder incompetent is putting it nicely.

Max Rockatansky

At least the Dolphins went down in a blaze of glory trying to go for the win with the two point conversion instead of the point after kick to tie. 

1995hoo

I wanted a tie, dammit.

My brother said a scoreless tie would have been appropriate, but that hasn't happened in the NFL since November 1943.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SSOWorld

Anyone wonder why Iowa doesn't get a football team?  Then Illinois and Minnesota would want one.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 13, 2019, 04:29:08 PM
I wanted a tie, dammit.

My brother said a scoreless tie would have been appropriate, but that hasn't happened in the NFL since November 1943.

But a tie would've put both teams out of 0-16 contention, not just one. My twisted fantasy for this season was the long-shot possibility of two teams going 0-16 in the same season, which I think would be a first. A bit unlikely, with how often the winless teams would be playing each other, but one can dream.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

I've never actually given up on a team for incompetence.

Neither have I. Both the Reds and Bengals have been bad lately, but I quit watching both MLB and NFL for other reasons. The MLB lost me after the 1994 strike, and I gradually lost interest in the Bengals in favor of NASCAR. If I had ever given any thought to watching the NFL again, the Kaepernick anthem-kneeling deal pushed me away permanently.

I've stuck with UK football for years, but I still watch and root for the Cats despite some awful teams.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2019, 05:44:56 PM

I've never actually given up on a team for incompetence.

Neither have I. Both the Reds and Bengals have been bad lately, but I quit watching both MLB and NFL for other reasons. The MLB lost me after the 1994 strike, and I gradually lost interest in the Bengals in favor of NASCAR. If I had ever given any thought to watching the NFL again, the Kaepernick anthem-kneeling deal pushed me away permanently.

I've stuck with UK football for years, but I still watch and root for the Cats despite some awful teams.

Even NASCAR had a real problem with trying to be way too politically correct in the 2000s which coupled generational tastes differing really pushed a lot of the fan base away.   I've more or less stuck with what traditionally is considered to be the big four American sports and auto racing in general over the years.  I've found it easy to tune a lot of the political, celebrity culture, social implications or even political correctness by tuning out the glut of saturation sports media in favor of largely just watching the actual events.  Really the only major sports body I kind of find more irksome than the others is the NCAA over how much top level sports has really become collegiate sports in name only. 

oscar

Quote from: oscar on October 13, 2019, 04:59:28 PM
But a tie would've put both teams out of 0-16 contention, not just one. My twisted fantasy for this season was the long-shot possibility of two teams going 0-16 in the same season, which I think would be a first. A bit unlikely, with how often the winless teams would be playing each other, but one can dream.

Well, that didn't last. We're now down to two winless teams, and they'll play each other later this season. So at least one of them won't end up at 0-16.

This day isn't going well for me in sports. For football, the Panthers and Ravens won. Otherwise, every team I wanted to win lost, and every team I wanted to lose won.

Tonight's baseball game could salvage things. But I'm not optimistic the Astros will do much better than they did yesterday night.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

US 89

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 13, 2019, 04:20:50 PM
At least the Dolphins went down in a blaze of glory trying to go for the win with the two point conversion instead of the point after kick to tie.

Statement win for the Redskins.

NWI_Irish96

Ever since I learned that they do not want to be called Southern Cal, I have referred to them as nothing but that, as in, "I was in South Bend Saturday to watch the Irish beat Southern Cal for the third straight year."
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.