News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Visiting nightclubs when you're 5

Started by bandit957, September 04, 2020, 09:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 11, 2020, 09:46:48 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 10, 2020, 05:11:00 PM
Meanwhile it's not uncommon at all to see someone's kid(s) tagging along to happy hour in rural Wisconsin.  The very idea that a minor couldn't even sit at the bar or in the bar area of a restaurant was completely foreign to me until I was like 20.  You get a soda from the bar and then entertain yourselves with the pool table or the video poker machines while ma and pa have a couple beers with their friends.
And this ain't from some distant past; like last year I've seen it.
It's no big deal.  No one's giving booze to kids.  No one's assuming someone's gonna give booze to the kids.  It's almost as if they expect parents/guardians to make good decisions on their own without threat of the law.  :wow:

That wasn't limited to rural Wisconsin.  My wife grew up in Milwaukee and hung out with her dad at the local tap regularly.
You can say that about rural Minnesota as well. I would stay with grandma and grandpa for 2 weeks every year and grandpa would go hit up one of the small town bars in the area. Supposedly, my cousin will go to one of these bars with her kids even now. (It may help that the mayor of the town the bar is in is her father-in-law.)
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jeffandnicole

In NJ, there's no state-wide law that prohibits children from sitting at a bar.  Towns and bar owners can restrict this on their own though.

In Delaware, I recall one time in college I wanted to buy a case of soda at a liquor store. Because I wasn't 21, I wasn't permitted to purchase *anything* within that liquor store!

It's no big deal.  No one's giving booze to kids.  No one's assuming someone's gonna give booze to the kids.  It's almost as if they expect parents/guardians to make good decisions on their own without threat of the law.  :wow:

Isn't the whole "No Alcohol Under 21, Otherwise the Bartender can be arrested, the Bar lose its liquor license, the underage drinker being arrested, and the underage drinker losing their license for several months" pretty much the very definition of the threat of the law?

This is why kids are given a soda and told to entertain themselves. Without the threat of the law, nothing would stop anyone from offering them up an alcoholic beverage.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 14, 2020, 07:56:58 AM
Without the threat of the law, nothing would stop anyone from offering them up an alcoholic beverage.

Ethics?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 14, 2020, 09:42:20 AM
Without the threat of the law, nothing would stop anyone from offering them up an alcoholic beverage.

Ethics?
No, morality.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bugo

Quote from: Takumi on September 05, 2020, 09:48:27 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 04, 2020, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: Takumi on September 04, 2020, 09:11:27 PM
I went to a Korn concert when I was 14. My first exposure to boobs. And weed.

14?!?  I'd already seen the Grateful Dead 4 times by my 14th birthday.
I mean, I'm also someone who lost his virginity at 32, so that's about right for me. (Granted, I'm probably still probably in the top third of the class for this forum by virtue of having sex at all.)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CapeCodder

My mom knew every bartender on Nantucket and she'd drag me to the bar. She'd have knocked back like five very stiff drinks, then she'd take me home and head back to the bar.

My parents divorced in September of 1993, and those two have been fighting a "cold war" since then. My dad caught wind of it, as did my school. DCF started paperwork, and by 1995 they were getting ready to pull the plug.

And that's how I ended up in St. Louis for sixteen years.

GCrites

My buddies and I were in a popular bar on St. Patrick's Day; I'd say it was 2013 or 2014 and some chick in her 20s was making out with a ~5 year old boy. It was a very weird day overall and an all-day drinking event for us (one of my last so far) so it didn't register as much at the moment. The next day I was like, "Did you guys see that lady making out with her kid?" and they hadn't seen it. I don't know if it was her kid or not. Goes to show if people see something really out of the ordinary the tendency is to lock up and question what you saw rather than act.

tolbs17

I have visited a nightclub in Maplewood, NJ back in 2007, because my oldest brother made me go to it since my parents were away from the house. I hated that smoke smell but I got over it. I have meet a few of my brother's friends and they were so nice! Definitely was not as social as I am now, but I would want to go visit a nightclub again! Good times back in the day...

triplemultiplex

Quote from: GCrites80s on October 01, 2020, 11:31:58 PM
My buddies and I were in a popular bar on St. Patrick's Day; I'd say it was 2013 or 2014 and some chick in her 20s was making out with a ~5 year old boy. It was a very weird day overall and an all-day drinking event for us (one of my last so far) so it didn't register as much at the moment. The next day I was like, "Did you guys see that lady making out with her kid?" and they hadn't seen it. I don't know if it was her kid or not. Goes to show if people see something really out of the ordinary the tendency is to lock up and question what you saw rather than act.

Dude, maybe it was a leprechaun!  :crazy:

kkt

If it was somebody else's kid, would that be better or worse?

abefroman329

Quote from: GCrites80s on October 01, 2020, 11:31:58 PM
I'll take "Things That Didn't Happen" for $400, Alex.

skluth

Quote from: DandyDan on September 14, 2020, 03:18:53 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 11, 2020, 09:46:48 AM
Meanwhile it's not uncommon at all to see someone's kid(s) tagging along to happy hour in rural Wisconsin.  The very idea that a minor couldn't even sit at the bar or in the bar area of a restaurant was completely foreign to me until I was like 20.  You get a soda from the bar and then entertain yourselves with the pool table or the video poker machines while ma and pa have a couple beers with their friends.
And this ain't from some distant past; like last year I've seen it.

That wasn't limited to rural Wisconsin.  My wife grew up in Milwaukee and hung out with her dad at the local tap regularly.
You can say that about rural Minnesota as well. I would stay with grandma and grandpa for 2 weeks every year and grandpa would go hit up one of the small town bars in the area. Supposedly, my cousin will go to one of these bars with her kids even now. (It may help that the mayor of the town the bar is in is her father-in-law.)
I'm another who grew up in that part of the country. My grandfather regularly took me to the bar across the street from his home in Coleman WI until he died when I was 9. He'd usually order me either a Shirley Temple or a root beer (which I preferred). I don't remember being in a bar again until after I turned 17. The drinking age in WI was 18 then. Close enough for me and my friends.

triplemultiplex

When my dad played bar league softball when I was a kid, I'd go into the bar during the game to buy a soda sometimes.  No biggie.
Oh and that bar was across the county road from the field so not only was I going into a bar but I was crossing the highway!

Clutch your pearls, helicopter parents.

Max Rockatansky

My Dad used to take me to the local strip club when Lions home games were blacked out during the 1980s.  For some reason they had a satellite feed which actually probably a stronger following than the strippers.  My Mom was furious that he took me and was going to the strip club in general when she finally found out.

Probably worth noting my Dad was kind of out there and did a lot of really things people would consider strange. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 09, 2022, 07:27:53 PM
My Dad used to take me to the local strip club when Lions home games were blacked out during the 1980s.  For some reason they had a satellite feed which actually probably a stronger following than the strippers.  My Mom was furious that he took me and was going to the strip club in general when she finally found out.

Probably worth noting my Dad was kind of out there and did a lot of really things people would consider strange. 

The strangest part of that story is that it was the Lions he was going to watch.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

abefroman329

It's only a little more strange than people taking their children to breastaurants, honestly.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 09, 2022, 09:45:52 PM

It's only a little more strange than people taking their children to breastaurants, honestly.

Worth noting, my Dad really did like to frequent Hooters.  For what it's worth I did enjoy their chicken wings quite a bit.

Rothman

"I don't want to eat a burger with boobs in my face." -- A co-worker of mine when a Hooters opened up a couple of buildings down.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 09, 2022, 09:49:18 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on March 09, 2022, 09:45:52 PM

Worth noting, my Dad really did like to frequent Hooters.  For what it's worth I did enjoy their chicken wings quite a bit.
They're still good.  It's definitely a chain to keep in mind if you're in a new city and don't know where to go for good wings.

kphoger

I've never been in a Hooters, but I've eaten other people's leftovers.  They have an awesome club sandwich.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on March 10, 2022, 10:38:04 AMI've never been in a Hooters, but I've eaten other people's leftovers.  They have an awesome club sandwich.
Back when sliders were suddenly popular, they had a plate of them that was really good.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on March 10, 2022, 10:38:04 AM
I've never been in a Hooters, but I've eaten other people's leftovers.  They have an awesome club sandwich.

This feels like an "I smoked, but didn't inhale" type of story.  :D

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on March 10, 2022, 12:22:21 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 10, 2022, 10:38:04 AM

This feels like an "I smoked, but didn't inhale" type of story.  :D

My former co-worker liked to run out and pick up lunch for himself and our boss occasionally, and Hooters was one of the places he sometimes ordered from.  Whenever they had leftovers, they'd offer them to me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

In Delaware, I recall one time in college I wanted to buy a case of soda at a liquor store. Because I wasn't 21, I wasn't permitted to purchase *anything* within that liquor store!

In Oklahoma, you have to have a medical marijuana card to even go into the main room of a dispensary. Dispensaries sell products like pipes, rolling papers and Boveda packs that contain no THC, but you can't buy anything there unless you have a card.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on April 23, 2022, 06:16:51 AM

In Oklahoma, you have to have a medical marijuana card to even go into the main room of a dispensary. Dispensaries sell products like pipes, rolling papers and Boveda packs that contain no THC, but you can't buy anything there unless you have a card.

That first requirement is pretty relaxed in Norman, especially if you're with someone that has a card. I'll go in with my wife (who has pickier tastes than I do, so her name is the one on the sale), and when I volunteer to the budtender that I have a card as well, I don't think they've ever wanted to actually see it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.