Most "TO"s on a Single Sign or Assembly

Started by webny99, February 02, 2021, 09:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I don't think we've done this before... I am wondering what is the most "TO" banners on a single sign or sign assembly.

I'll start with four (NY 434 at NY 363 in Binghamton, NY). This particular example may be short-lived because this junction is going to be redesigned (relevant discussion in the New York thread here).

formulanone

Here's six in Tuscaloosa on AL 215 (you'd turn right here to stay on it, but the arrow disappeared):

1995hoo

Here are five on an assembly on the Prince William Parkway (VA-294) that includes some seriously ugly Virginia primary route shields and some weird I-66 shields with the style of black background that's normally used for unisigns:

https://goo.gl/maps/QhZHjhk9CuHhggGK9
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 02, 2021, 11:36:46 AM
Here are five on an assembly on the Prince William Parkway (VA-294) that includes some seriously ugly Virginia primary route shields and some weird I-66 shields with the style of black background that's normally used for unisigns:

Something's a little wonky with your link. It goes to the Rte. 104 Bike Trail in Webster, NY... ironically not all that far from me!

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2021, 11:43:37 AM

Something's a little wonky with your link. It goes to the Rte. 104 Bike Trail in Webster, NY... ironically not all that far from me!

Now that's weird. I just tried it again and it took me to a shopping center near my house. Got to take a phone call, so I will try to fix it later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 02, 2021, 11:48:04 AM

Now that's weird. I just tried it again and it took me to a shopping center near my house. Got to take a phone call, so I will try to fix it later.

Near my house, too.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

wanderer2575

Utica, NY.  Does it count as a BGS assembly if they're both on the same gantry?   :spin:

briantroutman

Quote from: 1 on February 02, 2021, 11:49:59 AM

Near my house, too.

Very interesting. Me, too–I got a street scene about six blocks (about 0.6 miles) southwest of my apartment (where I am currently).

Is it possible that, in addition to an absolute location reference, Google Maps also has a mechanism for a relative location reference?
i.e. 0.6 miles southwest of ___(user's current location)___

jmacswimmer

Leaving Dulles Airport - I second wanderer2575's motion to include all TO's on separate signs but on the same gantry, and raise a motion to include the TO in "Return To Terminal"  :bigass:

Quote from: briantroutman on February 02, 2021, 12:12:54 PM
Very interesting. Me, too–I got a street scene about six blocks (about 0.6 miles) southwest of my apartment (where I am currently).

Is it possible that, in addition to an absolute location reference, Google Maps also has a mechanism for a relative location reference?

Same for me - there's definitely something in the link that factors in our computer's locations when we click the link.  Very interesting indeed, credit to 1995hoo for the accidental discovery! :-D
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

SectorZ

Near my house, too.

Me too. That's a weird bug.

kphoger

Near my house, too.

Yep.  Mine plops me down in the middle of the Canal Route here in Wichita.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 02, 2021, 12:02:44 PM
Utica, NY.  Does it count as a BGS assembly if they're both on the same gantry?

Sure.

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 02, 2021, 12:25:37 PM
Leaving Dulles Airport - I second wanderer2575's motion to include all TO's on separate signs but on the same gantry, and raise a motion to include the TO in "Return To Terminal"

Yes, you can include all the signs on the overhead, but the "Return TO Terminal" is a separate assembly, so it doesn't count towards the total. I'm still counting 5 even without that one - not bad at all.

Same for me - there's definitely something in the link that factors in our computer's locations when we click the link.  Very interesting indeed, credit to 1995hoo for the accidental discovery! :-D

FWIW, mine is more than 0.6 miles. It's roughly double that. It was also a location with no Street View, so I got a black screen and had to look down to the corner map to see where I was.

GaryV

FWIW, mine is more than 0.6 miles. It's roughly double that. It was also a location with no Street View, so I got a black screen and had to look down to the corner map to see where I was.
[/quote]
Mine went about 300 ft NNE.  (And showed that annoying closeup of the pavement that I can never seem to escape.)

briantroutman

Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2021, 12:41:18 PM
[FWIW, mine is more than 0.6 miles. It's roughly double that. It was also a location with no Street View, so I got a black screen and had to look down to the corner map to see where I was.

Quote from: GaryV on February 02, 2021, 12:52:40 PM
Mine went about 300 ft NNE.  (And showed that annoying closeup of the pavement that I can never seem to escape.)

There's also another variable that may at play here: What Google Maps believes to be your location.

When I first clicked the link, I was on a desktop computer–and I don't believe my permissions are set so that Google Maps has access to my specific location. Therefore, opening a new map simply centers it on Center City Philadelphia. Assumably, Google is surmising my approximate location from the coordinates of the cable company's neighborhood ISP POP(?).

But I tried the link again from my phone–which has the Google Maps app installed and does have permission to access my location–and it (coincidentally) pulled up a Street View photosphere inside a Chinese grocery store that is (coincidentally) about 330 feet NNE of my apartment.

1995hoo

Trying again. I'm eating lunch and posting this from my iPad. I've noticed that Street View links from the Google Maps app are often aimed at the sky, so you may have to pan the image, but let's see what happens here. The location, in case this doesn't work, is on westbound VA-294 just east of Liberia Avenue in the Manassas area.

https://goo.gl/maps/h6118r1GgLfbSDGB9

hotdogPi

That one works. It's aimed at the ground, though, not the sky.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jmacswimmer

Leaving Dulles Airport - I second wanderer2575's motion to include all TO's on separate signs but on the same gantry, and raise a motion to include the TO in "Return To Terminal"
Yes, you can include all the signs on the overhead, but the "Return TO Terminal" is a separate assembly, so it doesn't count towards the total. I'm still counting 5 even without that one - not bad at all.

I was mostly being sarcastic on the "Return To Terminal", don't worry :D

But I had a feeling signage near airports might be a good fit for this thread since they tend to promote multiple nearby routes as traffic disperses from the airport. (Although a quick glance at other airports on GMSV shows that most airports don't use 'TO' nearly as much as IAD - BWI, for example, uses one TO for all routes)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CoreySamson

Mine dumped me in the middle of nowhere in SE Kansas near US 75, which is nowhere where I live. Odd.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Mine did the same thing–it dropped the pin right on top of the local mental hospital  :paranoid:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mr. Matté

KEVIN_224

Ended up as a random spot on CT Route 217 in Middletown, CT for me. Odd! :-P

JayhawkCO

I ended up at a campsite in Cherry Creek State Park.  Looks nice there.

Chris

STLmapboy

Quote from: kphoger on February 02, 2021, 12:34:20 PM

Near my house, too.

Yep.  Mine plops me down in the middle of the Canal Route here in Wichita.
Mine doesn't work (black screen), but looking at the map in the bottom left, I was plopped down near a restaurant that doesn't exist in rural Kansas.

EDIT: It's where Corey Samson and Scott found themselves.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.