News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Distant Interstate Trailblazers

Started by corco, July 09, 2010, 12:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okroads

This is on U.S. 51 South & U.S. 60/U.S. 62 East in Wickliffe, KY. Interstate 24 is 28 miles away via U.S. 60.

agentsteel53

in Conneaut, OH, there used to be a state-named 90 shield, as well as a gantry for "Ohio Turnpike/62 miles".

all gone as of 2007.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: okroads on January 02, 2013, 04:10:34 PM

This is on U.S. 51 South & U.S. 60/U.S. 62 East in Wickliffe, KY. Interstate 24 is 28 miles away via U.S. 60.

Funny thing is, the shortest route to I-24 involves a right turn, then a left onto KY 121 and then a left to KY 286, which runs back into US 62 just west of Paducah. This is the preferred routing from AAA to connect Paducah to Sikeston.

The pic above is from 2001, on KY 121 between KY 286 and US 51/US 62. Note the little white sign in the background, which says "To I-57 & I-55." It points to two interstates that don't even enter Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on January 02, 2013, 10:03:03 PM
Funny thing is, the shortest route to I-24 involves a right turn, then a left onto KY 121 and then a left to KY 286, which runs back into US 62 just west of Paducah. This is the preferred routing from AAA to connect Paducah to Sikeston.

Not looking at a map right now, but I'm wondering if it might have to do with truck weight restrictions on KY-121 or -286.  I know Wycliffe is home to an infamous inspection station.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

corco

The trailblazer I posted to start this thread is gone now- I was just up that way last week and it's not there anymore.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on January 03, 2013, 01:42:41 PM
The trailblazer I posted to start this thread is gone now- I was just up that way last week and it's not there anymore.

so what is now the longest distance for a trailblazer?  anyone want to parse this thread for distances?  I-40?

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

There is one (or was one) on FL 50 in Ocoee, FL for I-75 via the FL Turnpike.  I-75 is over 43 miles from this location, and there was a "TO I-75 NORTH" shield NB on the FL Turnpike just north of I-4 interchange 54 miles shy of its junction.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: hbelkins on January 02, 2013, 10:03:03 PM

The pic above is from 2001, on KY 121 between KY 286 and US 51/US 62. Note the little white sign in the background, which says "To I-57 & I-55." It points to two interstates that don't even enter Kentucky.

Minus the fact there were no shields, this was good reference. After looking at an atlas, I see how you can reach I-57 three miles north of the Missouri-Illinois border (aka the Mississippi River), then use I-57 south to reach I-55, about 20 miles away. That's a good way of using trailblazers...provided that one more "TO I-55" trailblazer was placed at the I-57 junction for those looking to reach the other highway.

This one is nowhere close to record-breaking, but there was a "TO I-65 NORTH" trailblazer coming from Purdue University's Ross Ade Stadium in West Lafayette. One time, my father and I followed it thinking it would take us back to the interstate through Lafayette either via Indiana 25 or 26. Little did we know, the trailblazers were designed to get us to I-65 via U.S. 231...about 20 miles from the starting point! I think it still stands to this day.

Fun Fact: while not an interstate, an advisory for Purdue University on I-65 was placed at this same interchange, though the much better exit was 15 miles further south. That sign has long been since removed.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

hbelkins

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on January 05, 2013, 07:29:23 PM
Minus the fact there were no shields, this was good reference. After looking at an atlas, I see how you can reach I-57 three miles north of the Missouri-Illinois border (aka the Mississippi River), then use I-57 south to reach I-55, about 20 miles away. That's a good way of using trailblazers...provided that one more "TO I-55" trailblazer was placed at the I-57 junction for those looking to reach the other highway.

Been awhile since I've been to Cairo, but I only remember "To North I-57" and "To South I-57" markers at the split of US 51 from US 60/US 62 at the end of the bridge from Kentucky to Illinois.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2013, 07:51:35 PM

Been awhile since I've been to Cairo, but I only remember "To North I-57" and "To South I-57" markers at the split of US 51 from US 60/US 62 at the end of the bridge from Kentucky to Illinois.

Looking at a larger area map, I see what you mean. U.S. 62 west hits I-57 in Missouri, and eventually I-55. That would make better sense.

CentralCAroadgeek

In Wasco, CA at the CA-43/CA-46 junction, there are I-5 shields that are 18 miles away to I-5 north at Lost Hills and about 23 miles to I-5 south. Not as far compared to the other shields on here though...

bassoon1986

No pics of the ones I thought of, just GSV.

Louisiana doesn't have many examples that I can think of where Interstate shields or references are located far off the highway. Unless there are some in the coastal cities or places far south of Lake Charles or New Orleans for evacuating purposes.

US 190 approaching Baton Rouge has shields for I-10, I-12, and I-110 when you get to LA 415, the cutoff to I-10. GSV is weird there and won't allow any closer view of the shields.

I-10 is 3.5 miles away via LA 415
I-12 is 11.5 miles away via LA 415 and I-10
I-110 is 6.3 miles away.

In Arkansas I only remember one instance in which there are signs to I-30 where AR 549 meets US 71 at it's southern end

I-30 is 32 miles via AR 549 and AR 245 (soon to be about 34 miles)
or 34 miles via AR 549, AR 245, Loop 151 and US 59

nwi_navigator_1181

Another one closer to home:

In the South Suburbs of Chicago, there's a sign at the end of the connector between Lake Shore Drive and Stony Island Avenue (57th changing to Cornell). The trailblazer guides traffic to the Indiana Toll Road via the Chicago Skyway. The Skyway is close by (about 3 miles away); what's interesting is that it mentions the other intersecting interstates as well, which are well into Indiana: I-65 (about 25 miles from that point) and I-80/94 (another four miles after that). The sign is very old, but it still stands to this very day. It can be seen here.

At the Indiana border, there are more trailblazers on I-90 proper, which now say, "I-90 (with Indiana Toll Road shield), to I-80/65/94," with I-65 about 17 miles away and I-80/94 21 miles away.

OracleUsr

I've seen that I-40 VA sign.  It's in Rocky Mount, VA, not far from Ferrum College
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

hbelkins

Back in 1984, at the split of KY 476 (an old routing of KY 15) and KY 550 (an old routing of KY 80) in Perry County, there was a "To Mountain Parkway" trailblazer (like my avatar) with an arrow. That distance would have been approximately 60 miles. The sign has since been removed without being replaced.

http://goo.gl/maps/lG2U7

Back then, the building behind the red car did not exist and the signage was located there.

agentsteel53

Quote from: OracleUsr on January 08, 2013, 01:47:05 AM
I've seen that I-40 VA sign.  It's in Rocky Mount, VA, not far from Ferrum College

there's a Virginia state-named I-40 shield!?  photo, anyone?

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 08, 2013, 12:15:15 PM
Quote from: OracleUsr on January 08, 2013, 01:47:05 AM

there's a Virginia state-named I-40 shield!?  photo, anyone?
No, it's an I-40 trailblazer in VA.

bugo

Has there ever been a Nebraska I-29 shield posted?

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on January 08, 2013, 07:08:09 PM
Has there ever been a Nebraska I-29 shield posted?

this is the closest you're gonna find - but this sign is gone.  under that tape job may very well be a Nebraska.

currently, all the I-29 trailblazers in Nebraska look like this:

jake@aaroads.com

Revive 755

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on January 08, 2013, 12:38:50 AM
Another one closer to home:

In the South Suburbs of Chicago, there's a sign at the end of the connector between Lake Shore Drive and Stony Island Avenue (57th changing to Cornell). The trailblazer guides traffic to the Indiana Toll Road via the Chicago Skyway. The Skyway is close by (about 3 miles away); what's interesting is that it mentions the other intersecting interstates as well, which are well into Indiana: I-65 (about 25 miles from that point) and I-80/94 (another four miles after that). The sign is very old, but it still stands to this very day. It can be seen here.

Looks like there are state names on those interstates shields.  Wonder which state it is?

tdindy88

It's Indiana. After all an Illinois-state named Interstate 65 would look a bit weird.

PurdueBill

This one is nowhere close to record-breaking, but there was a "TO I-65 NORTH" trailblazer coming from Purdue University's Ross Ade Stadium in West Lafayette. One time, my father and I followed it thinking it would take us back to the interstate through Lafayette either via Indiana 25 or 26. Little did we know, the trailblazers were designed to get us to I-65 via U.S. 231...about 20 miles from the starting point! I think it still stands to this day.

We tailgate right by those signs and yes, they do still stand...trailblazers to I-65 NB go quite a ways out until you're on US 231 heading north.  For a heavily attended game and crush of traffic right afterward, it does make some sense to route people so, but the signs are really applicable only 7 days a year.  The never-ending construction at some of the approaches to campus from I-65 does make the route via 231 from the north a reasonable alternative even if not signed anymore. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 08, 2013, 10:27:34 PM

Looks like there are state names on those interstates shields.  Wonder which state it is?

it looks like one interstate shield may be a slightly later addition?

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

^^^

Are those button copy numerals on the I-65 sign?

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2013, 04:15:42 PM
^^^

Are those button copy numerals on the I-65 sign?

No.  It's been a long time since IDOT or CDOT (Chicago) used button copy numerals, if ever.  I've never seen them, but I recently found out that IDOT (their predecessor) used outline boxes for state routes in the 60s.  My best guess is that this is a CDOT sign based on its location (Cornell near Stony Island).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.