News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Address 0. How common is it?

Started by MATraveler128, March 23, 2022, 05:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATraveler128

While browsing Google Maps, I noticed that some addresses are numbered 0. How common is this?
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

1995hoo

There's a well-known building in Charlottesville numbered "0 Court Square" (as in "Zero Court Square," although the local practice is to say "Number Nothing" instead of "Zero"). The building was once the slave auction site and there's a marker embedded in the sidewalk out front next to the lamppost showing where the auction block was. Apparently the building's historical significance stirred controversy a few years ago when it was up for sale.

That's the only one that I know of off the top of my head, though I might have seen others that I don't recall.

Edited to add: Typing 0 followed by a space into Google Maps turned up a few "number nothings" in Key West. Perhaps a local custom there? In most places, I would expect that number to be an indication of infill construction where the odd numbers are on one side, the evens are on the other, there was a gap in between, and something was built in the gap and assigned "zero" because that's all that fit.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mgk920

There is a house at  'ZERO Oneida Ct' here in Appleton, WI.  Well, it is actually in a surrounding unincorporated township.)

Mike

CNGL-Leudimin

I remember one of the sestieri of Venice had a number 0.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

KCRoadFan

I remember seeing a building numbered 0 (actually, 00) on Broad Street in Richmond, VA, when I traveled the length of that street on Street View.

epzik8

I've seen this for lots or homes to be constructed, with the address presumably changing afterward.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

bassoon1986

I just saw this for the first time in the town I live in. A house was listed with an address of 0. On a "private drive"  more or less so I assume no other houses will be constructed on that street. I didn't know a zero was allowed for an address. I would have thought 1 would be used in this purpose.

iPhone

Scott5114

In Norman, address 0 would be nearly impossible, because address numbers start at 100.

In Oklahoma City, an address 0 would be theoretically possible, but it would have to occur immediately adjacent to one of the baselines (Santa Fe or Reno) and have a good reason why it couldn't use 1.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.