News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at Oscars

Started by Roadgeekteen, March 28, 2022, 05:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Buck87

I heard someone say they thought it was staged.

but I don't know, if Will Smith was acting they should have given him an Oscar for that performance...

Big John

Quote from: Buck87 on March 28, 2022, 05:31:02 PM

but I don't know, if Will Smith was acting they should have given him an Oscar for that performance...
They're still the Emmys as this occurred on TV.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Buck87 on March 28, 2022, 05:31:02 PM

I don't think it was staged.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/movies/oscars-2022-academy-member-says-no-excuse-for-will-smith-hitting-chris-rock/%3famp=true

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

Nobody cares about the Oscars. You bet their publicity people are celebrating the fact that everyone is actually talking about it.

The audience there also thought it was staged until Will Smith yelled "Get my wife's name out of your fucking mouth!" - upon which the crowd's reaction changed considerably.

jeffandnicole

Add me to the list of people who believes it was staged.

Apparently Will and Chris had no issues at the same afterparty.  What a quick reconciliation.

JoePCool14

I'm not entirely sure if I think it was staged or not. Chris Rock's reaction leads me to believe it was not, but there's some smirking going on that leads me to believe it was. And these guys are actors after all... I'm sure everyone in Hollywood ended up being okay with it if it wasn't. All you have to see is the number of people talking about it today. It has given the Oscars a lot of free press.

Either way, Will Smith defending his cheating wife is hilarious. His speech afterwards was stupid and tone-deaf.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SectorZ

Staged, for ratings because no one watches this stuff anymore.

Stephane Dumas

SSOWorld

Not staged - otherwise you would not realize what Will said to Rock after...

"Keep my wife's name out your fucking mouth!"

When he pulled the reference, you can see Jada obviously reacting negatively to it while Will (initially) was laughing.  He certainly wasn't laughing for long.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Roadgeekteen

No way it was staged as they are thinking about taking away Smith's Oscar.

wanderer2575

So apparently he has apologized.

I still remember a line I read many years ago in a Star Trek novel, where an admiral was dressing down a cadet:  "I don't give a damn what you apologize for -- I give a damn what you DO!"  I usually feel the same way.

Henry

I have nothing to say on the matter, except you should never disrespect another man's wife. There's a special place in hell for Chris Rock and the rest of them.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on March 29, 2022, 10:14:45 AM
I have nothing to say on the matter, except you should never disrespect another man's wife. There's a special place in hell for Chris Rock and the rest of them.

It was a fairly weak joke and a movie reference most people didn't understand.  Probably a lot more people are aware of G.I Jane after all this.

Interesting I didn't realize Ridley Scott directed GI Jane.  I haven't looked through all his directing credits but that has be one of his weaker movies.

SP Cook

Faker than "˜raslin. 

A guy walks on stage, hits a performer in front of hundreds of private and government security officers, calmly sits down and the performer quickly resumes his unfunny routine? 

Please.

Mostly related to the fact that the show has lost about 7 out of 10 viewers from just fiver years ago.  No one cares.  Now drawing about what an episode of Yellowstone gets on the, fairly obscure, Paramount Network.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Henry on March 29, 2022, 10:14:45 AM

If she's unmarried, though, it's open season. It's the man that makes it not okay.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

roadman65

According to the OP article, Will Smith told him after returning to his seat " Leave my wife alone, Shut your f***in mouth!"   So risking a fine by the FCC would not be actions of a played out scene unless it was Howard Stern, but that's a different situation altogether.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bobby5280

I didn't see the live broadcast, but apparently the F-bombs and what not didn't air in the US broadcast. But people over in Europe apparently saw it uncut. Anyone who cares can see the full un-cut version online easily.

Quote from: Max RockatanskyIt was a fairly weak joke and a movie reference most people didn't understand.  Probably a lot more people are aware of G.I Jane after all this.

To paraphrase one of Chris Rock's own punchlines: I don't agree with what Will Smith did, but I understand.

The G.I. Jane 2 joke might not seem all that bad at first glance, but it was really hitting below the belt in an ugly fashion. Generally speaking, hair is a very serious subject to black women. Making fun of a black woman's hair enters a very risky zone. Add to that Jada Pinkett-Smith's public struggles with alopecia, an auto-immune disorder causing hair loss, often permanently. Most comedians don't have to worry about getting roughed up by an angry spectator. But there is a fine line between insult comedy being funny versus just being cruel. For instance Ricky Gervais ended up looking like a complete, spiteful asshole at the Golden Globe Awards in 2020.

If Will Smith could have just remained seated in his chair Chris Rock would have ended up being the night's biggest asshole. Smith just had to go do something a whole lot worse. Awards shows can move on from bad jokes pretty easily. But that slap sucked all the oxygen out of the room. A lot of other nominees and awards winners basically had their moment taken away from them by a very ugly incident.

SP Cook

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 29, 2022, 11:59:52 AM
I didn't see the live broadcast,

No worries, very few people did. 

Quotebut apparently the F-bombs and what not didn't air in the US broadcast.

Of course.  This is because "live"  broadcasts in the USA are actually on a delay of about 10 seconds, which gives a technician time to either "bleep"  the audio or cut the feed totally.  Had the attack been real, the later would have been done.  It wasn't, because the script didn't call for that, just the slap.

JayhawkCO

Is Q telling you guys that this was staged? This is clearly a guy reacting badly to a rude joke.

roadman65

Well, that's good that it wasn't caught, but my point was the F Bomb in it means Will meant business.   I didn't see the joke, but Chris Rock should have had more class and not say what he did. If her hair loss is not on purpose but part of a syndrome effect, he should have showed empathy toward her suffering.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 29, 2022, 12:34:57 PM
Is Q telling you guys that this was staged? This is clearly a guy reacting badly to a rude joke.

Yes I agree.  It wasn't staged, however I feel for Will Smith, but at the same time though, he should have not physically attacked Rock. And yes,  Chris, was wrong.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

I didn't see the live broadcast, but apparently the F-bombs and what not didn't air in the US broadcast. But people over in Europe apparently saw it uncut. Anyone who cares can see the full un-cut version online easily.

Quote from: Max RockatanskyIt was a fairly weak joke and a movie reference most people didn't understand.  Probably a lot more people are aware of G.I Jane after all this.

To paraphrase one of Chris Rock's own punchlines: I don't agree with what Will Smith did, but I understand.

The G.I. Jane 2 joke might not seem all that bad at first glance, but it was really hitting below the belt in an ugly fashion. Generally speaking, hair is a very serious subject to black women. Making fun of a black woman's hair enters a very risky zone. Add to that Jada Pinkett-Smith's public struggles with alopecia, an auto-immune disorder causing hair loss, often permanently. Most comedians don't have to worry about getting roughed up by an angry spectator. But there is a fine line between insult comedy being funny versus just being cruel. For instance Ricky Gervais ended up looking like a complete, spiteful asshole at the Golden Globe Awards in 2020.

If Will Smith could have just remained seated in his chair Chris Rock would have ended up being the night's biggest asshole. Smith just had to go do something a whole lot worse. Awards shows can move on from bad jokes pretty easily. But that slap sucked all the oxygen out of the room. A lot of other nominees and awards winners basically had their moment taken away from them by a very ugly incident.

That's just it, I got how low brow the joke was because I saw the movie and knew the gist about Jada Smith's personal issues.  The latter was probably infinitely way more known in a modern context than the movie reference was.  I don't even know how people got the reference that were in the crowd at the Oscars.  That's a lot of pieces to put together to even understand the joke at hand.  I doubt many would have if Will Smith would have reacted like he did.

Scott5114

Quote from: SP Cook on March 29, 2022, 12:23:43 PM
I didn't see the live broadcast,

No worries, very few people did. 

Quotebut apparently the F-bombs and what not didn't air in the US broadcast.

Of course.  This is because "live"  broadcasts in the USA are actually on a delay of about 10 seconds, which gives a technician time to either "bleep"  the audio or cut the feed totally.  Had the attack been real, the later would have been done.  It wasn't, because the script didn't call for that, just the slap.

They...uh...did cut the feed totally. They cut off the American audio feed right before Rock says "Will Smith just slapped the shit out of me" and it stays muted while Smith repeatedly yells "Keep my wife's name out your fucking mouth" from the audience. It doesn't pick back up until Rock tries to move on. The only reason we know what was said was that people have posted video from the Japanese and Australian feeds where they didn't cut the audio.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

How come The Grammys never deleted Axel Rose swearing decades ago when Guns n Roses won an award?

Is the 10 second delay something of this century.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.