News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Truck with raised bed hits sign (again?)

Started by PurdueBill, July 03, 2012, 05:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurdueBill

Doesn't this type of thing seem to happen too often?  At least the entire road was closed already in this case, but still--it seems that trucks with beds up seem to hit overhead signs/gantries more often than you would hope.

Dump truck brings down overheads on I-277

Brandon

Another moron cartage driver.  I've dealt with these drivers all too often on the road here in Chicagoland, and on-site.  They can be the biggest bunch of twits out there.  They'll even run around a construction site without any sort of orange vest, hard hat, or steel toed shoes.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PurdueBill

tdindy88

So...it wasn't a personal vendetta against Clearview then?

PurdueBill

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 10, 2012, 12:44:32 PM
So...it wasn't a personal vendetta against Clearview then?

It seems to be equal-opportunity....one a couple years ago on I-480 south of Cleveland was button copy; the one last week in Akron was brand-new signage with FHWA lettering (they must have drawn up the plans before Clearview became the ODOT rage); the I-90 victim overnight was Clearview.  There have been a couple other ones around here recently as well.

agentsteel53

a knocked-down gantry on I-8 here in San Diego was porcelain.  equal opportunity destruction indeed!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PurdueBill

Over a month since the I-277 sign was taken out and it is still not in place.  The horizontal part of the gantry, damaged signs and all, is still just off the road in the tall plants.  A portable VMS has the message "77n 76e / cleve / right lane" with the lowercase letters!  Pretty subpar.  Why can't they get the ones who caused the damage to take care of the replacement and reinstallation promptly?  While they are probably pushing paperwork around the road is open and damaged/destroyed brand-new signage is in the ditch.  Couldn't ODOT just have it reinstalled and send the offender the bill?

silverback1065

How stupid are some truck drivers?  Y cant they avoid areas with low clearance? I always hear of a truck hitting a bridge. And in this case y dont they lower their beds?

agentsteel53

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 07, 2012, 04:17:46 PM
How stupid are some truck drivers?  Y cant they avoid areas with low clearance? I always hear of a truck hitting a bridge. And in this case y dont they lower their beds?

same reason U can't spell.

laziness.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 07, 2012, 04:47:18 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on August 07, 2012, 04:17:46 PM

same reason U can't spell.

laziness.

lolz....i kno, right!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Text-speak and IM-speak is killing the English language and the ability for people to communicate in literate ways. I've said this for years and I will continue to say it.

The ability to write well seemingly can't co-exist in a 140- or 160-character world.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

silverback1065

it doesn't matter for unofficial purposes as long as people can understand what your saying

PurdueBill

The obstacle in question was a sign bridge that would have had plenty of clearance had the driver not been rolling with the bed up--this isn't some situation where there are substandard clearances.  Which reminds me, aren't we in the timeframe now where faculty/staff at BU. MIT, etc. start pools on the date that the first out-of-town parents moving their child in will hit a low bridge on an MDC road with a rented truck?  :P

InterstateNG

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 07, 2012, 11:28:57 PM
it doesn't matter for unofficial purposes as long as people can understand what your saying

You want to converse at the adult table, start acting like one.
I demand an apology.

Special K

*you're*

agentsteel53

troll.

jake@aaroads.com

Milepost61

Quote from: PurdueBill on August 06, 2012, 05:13:11 PM
Why can't they get the ones who caused the damage to take care of the replacement and reinstallation promptly?  While they are probably pushing paperwork around the road is open and damaged/destroyed brand-new signage is in the ditch.  Couldn't ODOT just have it reinstalled and send the offender the bill?
The connection point between the truss and side pole may have been damaged beyond being able to use it again and they might need to put up a whole new structure. And the lead time on those things is months. Unless ODOT operates differently, they don't have spare ones just sitting around waiting to be used.

Scott5114

It does matter to the moderators of this forum. Do spell properly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 10, 2012, 04:26:20 AM

It does matter to the moderators of this forum. Do spell properly.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

kurumi

In Vernon, CT, 2009: BGS 1, Dump Truck 0. I couldn't find a photo online; but the sign gantry stayed intact and nearly flipped the truck over.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

PurdueBill

Quote from: kurumi on August 10, 2012, 11:24:16 AM
In Vernon, CT, 2009: BGS 1, Dump Truck 0. I couldn't find a photo online; but the sign gantry stayed intact and nearly flipped the truck over.

I was looking for a picture of that one that I thought I had saved but couldn't find.  Priceless!  Signs getting back at trucks!

agentsteel53

I cannot see a picture in that article... is there one that my ad blocker is eating?

jake@aaroads.com

PurdueBill

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 10, 2012, 11:55:58 AM
I cannot see a picture in that article... is there one that my ad blocker is eating?
I was probably not clear as I should be....I was saying how I thought I had saved a pic but couldn't find it, which is sad because the old article doesn't have a pic either.  My line break before the next sentence got eaten.

Fortunately, I found a link with a bunch of great pics of the sign beating the truck.

qguy

Not to flog a dead horse, but it does matter and not just because the mods say so. If you make your communication too annoying and too tiresome to understand, no one will want to read what you write and you will be simply wasting your time.

That's why we use conventional English grammar and spelling. Because it just makes everything easy to quickly absorb and understand.

This works the same in real life too, BTW. (See, I used a "text-speak" convention there because everyone is familiar and comfortable with it.) Ya gotta know where you are, know your audience, and use its conventions (which is pretty much rule #1 in communication).

hbelkins

Besides that, if you get used to writing in text-speak and IM-speak, it becomes a hard habit to break. I used to work with a guy who sent work emails in that fashion. I don't know whether or not that has anything to do with the fact that he no longer works for us or not. :-p

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.