News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sine salad

Started by hbelkins, August 29, 2012, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

No, that one is what you see when you're coming out of McDonald's.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

dfilpus

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 18, 2012, 01:34:44 AM

How old is that photo? I-75 Business Loop was decommissioned in 1971. The M 84 cutout is from that era, as well.

agentsteel53

Quote from: dfilpus on October 18, 2012, 09:14:16 AM
How old is that photo? I-75 Business Loop was decommissioned in 1971. The M 84 cutout is from that era, as well.

July 15th, 1961.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Late to the party, but I think this is a worthy bump.

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

NE2

Yes. Georgia never cut 23 back from the state line when Florida renumbered theirs to 121 (most likely due to US 23 being extended to Jax). Instead Georgia extended 121 over 23 from Folkston south.

15 is another useless overlap, following 121 all the way from north of Bristol to this intersection, then south with 4 (and the U.S. Routes) to Florida.

4 is the state route number assigned to US 1 south of Augusta, and in other states that use these state numbers for U.S. Routes (including Florida) it would not be signed.

US 23 is also essentially redundant south of Waycross, only leaving US 1 for the last mile in Jax (where it would more logically be a US 1 Biz). According to http://www.us-highways.com/flus.htm#US%2023 there may have been plans to continue US 23 through central Florida.

So of these seven routes, only US 1, US 301, and SR 121 would have been signed in most other states. Yay Georgia.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Michael

I was reading about the Clark Bridge between Illinois and Missouri in a blog post by kharvey10, and decided to look in the area to see if there was a better way to connect the Clark Bridge to the Berm Highway, and came across this salad when I entered Street View.  There's another salad closer to the actual intersection, which can be seen in the background of my first link.

As I was positioning the view for the second sign, I noticed that there's chevrons used to denote the end of the road, which isn't allowed by the MUTCD:
Quote from: MUTCD Section 2C.09, Paragraph 7
Chevron Alignment signs shall not be placed on the far side of a T-intersection facing traffic on the stem approach to warn drivers that a through movement is not physically possible, as this is the function of a Two-Direction (or One-Direction) Large Arrow sign.

Off to the Erroneous Road Signs thread.

formulanone

Sunrise-tinted salad:

kphoger

Quote from: Michael on November 20, 2012, 06:14:26 PM
I was reading about the Clark Bridge between Illinois and Missouri in a blog post by kharvey10, and decided to look in the area to see if there was a better way to connect the Clark Bridge to the Berm Highway, and came across this salad when I entered Street View.  There's another salad closer to the actual intersection, which can be seen in the background of my first link.

As I was positioning the view for the second sign, I noticed that there's chevrons used to denote the end of the road, which isn't allowed by the MUTCD:
Quote from: MUTCD Section 2C.09, Paragraph 7
Chevron Alignment signs shall not be placed on the far side of a T-intersection facing traffic on the stem approach to warn drivers that a through movement is not physically possible, as this is the function of a Two-Direction (or One-Direction) Large Arrow sign.

Off to the Erroneous Road Signs thread.

Ha!  Yeah.  I remember the first time I crossed that bridge.  I had taken an alternate route due to traffic being backed up from a high-speed car chase, then I took a further alternate route due to rush hour traffic.  So I was far from my normal route, I was tense from traffic jams, we were down a couple of hours with dark coming on, and then I came upon that nasty sine salad (or perhaps a similar one back then).  It took a few seconds to figure out which way I needed to go.  Interestingly, it's nearly just as much a challenge figuring out how to get onto the bridge from, say, Washington Avenue just north of there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Milepost61

NE2

I hope you're happy, Samuel Wade.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

thenetwork

Quote from: Milepost61 on November 20, 2012, 11:14:11 PM
Paonia, Colorado:

It's very hard to get lost in Delta County, Colorado. :)  In fact, as of a few years ago, this was the same county with a very high concentration of yellow YIELD signs (at least near Paonia).

Sincerely,
-- A Neighbor from neighboring Mesa County, Colorado.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

route29

NE2

That's just silly. No need to sign redundant truck routes.

adt1982

This assembly is at the intersection of Tyler Avenue and 4-lane US 66 in Litchfield, IL.

SidS1045

According to an article in The New York Times on 1/8/13, NYC is set to do something to simplify "sine salads" like these ("before" on the left, "after" on the right).

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

deathtopumpkins

I hate this new trend of using lowercase text on things like this. Otherwise though, I do like the emphasis the new signs put on the time limit.

On the whole though, the one on the left looks better, IMHO, and with the exception of the Muni-Meter sign, isn't significantly wordier or harder to understand.

(To quantify, the top sign on the left has 15 words, the one on the right has 13)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Central Avenue

That strikes me as missing the point--the problem isn't the layout of the signs, it's that the parking restrictions are so convoluted that they simply can't be conveyed in a short, concise way. Assuming the restrictions themselves can't be simplified (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt), any sign they post is going to have to spell everything out anyway.

Also, there's a weird sorta semantic thing going on with the topmost sign. They changed it from a prohibitive statement ("You may not park, unless you're a commercial vehicle.") to a permissive statement ("You may park if you are a commercial vehicle.") Yes, it means the same thing either way, but if anything, it seems like the new wording is less intuitive.

I spend too much time thinking about these things

Good on them for getting rid of the pointless advertisement, though.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

agentsteel53

both new signs, but especially the 6-hour, look awkward with left-justified text.

also, while I like the font for "3" and "6", it surely isn't FHWA Highway Gothic.  wonder where they pulled that from.

regarding the prohibitive vs. permissive statement - what is the default for parking in NYC?  One cannot park unless permitted, or one may park unless prohibited?  99% of the land in the country is permissive (park unless we tell you otherwise), but I wouldn't be surprised if NYC - by virtue of it being so crowded - were one of those cities which starts with a blanket prohibition and then allows certain activities to take place.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Central Avenue

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but it looks like the numbers, as well of the rest of the text, are in Interstate Condensed Bold. (Compare the "R"--that's certainly not vanilla Series C!)

I'm guessing this was a choice by the graphic artist who made the mock-up for the article rather than anything reflective of actual signage. Someone at The New York Times is more likely to have Interstate on hand than "true" FHWA fonts, after all.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

SidS1045

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 10, 2013, 09:33:34 AMwhat is the default for parking in NYC?

AFAIK, the only blanket rule in NYC is:  No curbside parking in Manhattan between 23d and 59th Streets, river to river.  All parking in that zone is restricted per posted signs.  Outside that zone and in the other boroughs, refer to the posted signs.  Every residential area has two or three three-hour time periods each week where the curb must be kept clear for street sweeping.

SidS1045

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 10, 2013, 10:24:58 AM
I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but it looks like the numbers, as well of the rest of the text, are in Interstate Condensed Bold. (Compare the "R"--that's certainly not vanilla Series C!)

I'm guessing this was a choice by the graphic artist who made the mock-up for the article rather than anything reflective of actual signage. Someone at The New York Times is more likely to have Interstate on hand than "true" FHWA fonts, after all.

It was a mock-up made by the city, not by the Times.  Another photo which ran with the article had the city transportation commissioner, Janette Sadik-Khan, standing in front of those signs at a news conference.

Central Avenue

Welp, I stand corrected.

It certainly is weird seeing Interstate used on traffic signs, though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.