Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadfro on November 18, 2021, 10:58:02 AM
Quote from: Big John on November 18, 2021, 01:11:03 AM
Quote from: BuildTheRussian on November 18, 2021, 12:40:07 AM
Doesn't even look like a speed limit to me. Could just be advisory.
In America, a white rectangle signifies that it is a regulatory sign.

Regulatory color scheme, but that's not really a regulatory message...

It should have to be correctly formatted to be valid.  Other than the number, SPEED LIMIT is not designable when it comes to adornments, omitting words, etc. 

Locally, I remember asking about this sign (https://goo.gl/maps/tGndYJt9RoXuP6uG8) over 10 years ago which was put up by the university on what may be a road owned by the university now or still owned by Akron--who knows.  It's tiny, non-reflective, and nonstandard, and therefore not really enforceable.  But they have doubled down with a "Your Speed" sign ahead of that which frowns if you are above 25 and flashes "slow down" if you are above 30.  Still, there is no actual speed limit sign. 

The missing streetlight at a busy crosswalk, which is pitch black when outside of daytime hours, ought to have been fixed but instead we have these crazy signs.

It's worth noting they are capable of fixing inappropriate signs.  This one (https://goo.gl/maps/3sSBFF6kfpacZV6T6) had forever been "15 MPH" in red Helvetica on white until August 2019 when small but correct signs replaced it (facing both ways).  They should have ordered a 25 one for the other location while they were at it.

roadman65

This one to denote a right lane must turn right is not MUTCD compliant.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

BuildTheRussian

The weirdest sign I've ever seen in real life is this one:

It's an "advisory speed limit", but for some reason has a "Your speed" display. Every time we drove past it, it was disabled.
It would make sense if it was an actual maximum speed limit, but I don't understand why it is here.
It's located here: https://www.google.ru/maps/@55.9718966,92.7872783,3a,66.5y,254.58h,91.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRaKsICzdKAuMZE9PJ5Qu3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jakeroot

Quote from: BuildTheRussian on November 22, 2021, 03:32:52 AM
The weirdest sign I've ever seen in real life is this one:

It's an "advisory speed limit", but for some reason has a "Your speed" display. Every time we drove past it, it was disabled.
It would make sense if it was an actual maximum speed limit, but I don't understand why it is here.
It's located here: https://www.google.ru/maps/@55.9718966,92.7872783,3a,66.5y,254.58h,91.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRaKsICzdKAuMZE9PJ5Qu3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is a similar type of sign that was installed along Waller Rd in Tacoma, WA for a couple years. Gone now;

Curve warning with "your speed" sign by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Scott5114

↑ Was that for sure a "your speed" sign? The way it's below a curve sign and having a yellow background, I'd assume it was a variable advisory speed if I never saw it on.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

plain

Quote from: roadman65 on November 22, 2021, 12:48:23 AM
This one to denote a right lane must turn right is not MUTCD compliant.

Where is this? Judging by the sign on the far left (can't see what's on it) it looks like the end of some kind of freeway or something
Newark born, Richmond bred

LilianaUwU

A Québec-standard three-way stop plate, but with "ARRÊT STOP" instead of just "ARRÊT" or "STOP":

(Original size)

Also worth noting is the fact that this ARRÊT STOP is newer than 2001, which is the year where the classic bilingual sign was changed to ARRÊT or STOP. But since this is federal property (Port de Québec), they can do whatever they want.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 22, 2021, 10:59:13 PM
Also worth noting is the fact that this ARRÊT STOP is newer than 2001, which is the year where the classic bilingual sign was changed to ARRÊT or STOP. But since this is federal property (Port de Québec), they can do whatever they want.

I'm surprised the bilingual signs stuck around that long.

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 22, 2021, 05:47:18 PM
↑ Was that for sure a "your speed" sign? The way it's below a curve sign and having a yellow background, I'd assume it was a variable advisory speed if I never saw it on.
It says "ВАША СКОРОСТЬ" which means "YOUR SPEED".

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 22, 2021, 05:47:18 PM

In case you were referring to my photo, it was definitely a "your speed" sign as it showing my speed and it was often blinking. The limit is 35 along that road, and the corner has no specific advisory limit because of that. But because traffic along that road frequently exceeds the posted limit (50+ is not uncommon), they installed that sign to, apparently, alert traffic that they may be going a bit quick for the corner.

jakeroot

I thought the sign on the right was pretty ugly. For some reason, despite having less information than the sign on the left, it's slightly taller. And then everything is on one line, making it cramped, despite all of that extra green space.

In reality, the sign on the left is a bit newer, and was made only as tall as necessary. The old sign for that exit, an exit-only sign, was the same height as the sign on the right. Still, the cramping. Yuck.

https://goo.gl/maps/NcvMYDQ71qSowcd2A

I-405 NB, Totem Lake, WA by Jacob Root, on Flickr

plain

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 23, 2021, 08:05:40 PM
Quote from: rellis97 on November 23, 2021, 07:57:08 PM
Elkhart, IN
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6807832,-85.9696134,3a,40.4y,18.72h,89.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAuO_63O1_GCPA1VTJC72kQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Sounds like a way to cause even more traffic than usual when a train crosses.

Makes me think the trains are moving pretty slow through here. Given the length of most freight trains, that could be a pretty long wait.
Newark born, Richmond bred

wanderer2575

Not actual signs yet, but they'll be coming in the next couple years with the reconstruction of I-96 in western Oakland County, MI:  SIGNAL AHEAD paired with exit-only arrows.  This is a SPUI interchange.  Similar planned for Beck Road, also a SPUI interchange.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/B9owPfyh7tTzM8Sv6

Still to this day Essex County won't correct the route error here. It's supposed to be I-280 not I-287 on this truck guide sign here.

Trucks are banned on Livingston Avenue north of JFK parkway which exchanges with I-280 not I-287.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ErmineNotyours

Flashing yellow lights on a green Entering City and yellow traffic warning sign.  I know you're not supposed to combine regulatory signs with anything else, but there are no rules against warning sign combos.  At night having flashing lights on top of yellow at the bottom looked like it was going to be a Highway Advisory Radio sign.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on November 27, 2021, 06:44:59 PM
Flashing yellow lights on a green Entering City and yellow traffic warning sign.  I know you're not supposed to combine regulatory signs with anything else, but there are no rules against warning sign combos.  At night having flashing lights on top of yellow at the bottom looked like it was going to be a Highway Advisory Radio sign.

That might actually be a good example of why this kind of sign may need to exist: an almost totally rural highway that suddenly becomes a narrow suburban four lane expressway with tons of cross and turning traffic.

odditude

Quote from: roadman65 on November 24, 2021, 01:27:23 AM

Still to this day Essex County won't correct the route error here. It's supposed to be I-280 not I-287 on this truck guide sign here.

Trucks are banned on Livingston Avenue north of JFK parkway which exchanges with I-280 not I-287.

it's not a signage error; you're interpreting it incorrectly.

the sign states that trucks heading towards I-287 must turn left here (prohibiting them from continuing straight to use I-280 for that purpose).

Lukeisroads

LilianaUwU

Quote from: odditude on November 29, 2021, 03:51:09 PM

the sign states that trucks heading towards I-287 must turn left here (prohibiting them from continuing straight to use I-280 for that purpose).

Not really. It seems as though JFK Pkwy/Columbia Turnpike/Eisenhower Pkwy is a truck route between NJ 24 and I-280 (because Eisenhower Pkwy wasn't fully completed for that purpose), thus the sign should refer to I-280 and not I-287.
—Mr. Thwomp

mrsman

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 29, 2021, 10:25:22 PM
Quote from: odditude on November 29, 2021, 03:51:09 PM

Not really. It seems as though JFK Pkwy/Columbia Turnpike/Eisenhower Pkwy is a truck route between NJ 24 and I-280 (because Eisenhower Pkwy wasn't fully completed for that purpose), thus the sign should refer to I-280 and not I-287.

Agreed.  Most of the traffic that sees this sign passed by the JFK Pwky/NJ 24 interchange only a mile earlier.  Obviously, if your destination is along 287, it would be better to simply take NJ-24.  Traffic that is heading north on JFK and Livingston Ave is headed for 280, not 287. 

Making the left at Columbia Tpke will lead you to Eisenhower Pkwy to 280.  It will also lead you to NJ-24 to 287.  So both are technically correct, but most of the traffic is probably interested in 280, so the sign should read 280, not 287.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.