News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I've realized I'm a big fan of non-Interstate freeways. LOL

Started by A.J. Bertin, April 23, 2013, 12:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thing 342

Non-Interstate Freeways in Virginia:

US Routes:
13: Suffolk Bypass
15: Keysville, Warrenton, and Culpeper (partial) Bypasses
19: Lebanon and Tazewell Bypasses
23: Big Stone Gap and Norton Bypasses
29: Danville Expy, Chatham, Gretna, Altavista, Lynchburg-Amherst, Charlottesville, Culpeper (partial), and Warrenton Bypasses
29B: Lynchburg Expy
58: MLK Freeway, Danville Expy, Suffolk, Franklin, Lawrenceville, Clarksville, Martinsville, and Hillsville Bypasses
220: Roy L. Webber Expy, Martinsville and Rocky Mount Bypasses
250: Charlottesville Bypass (partial)
360: Keysville Bypass
460: Suffolk, Farmville, Lynchburg, Bedford, Christiansburg-Blacksburg, Bluefield Bypasses
501: Lynchburg Expy

VA Routes:
37: Winchester Bypass
76: Powhite Pkwy
146: Richmond Connector
164: Western Fwy
168: Chesapeake Expy
195: Downtown Expy
199: Humelsine Pkwy
262: Woodrow Wilson Pkwy (partial)
267: Dulles Toll Road/Greenway
288: Richmond Beltway
785: Danville Expy (Future Interstate Route)
895: Pocahontas Pkwy (Future/Former Interstate Route)
90004: Dulles Access Rd
90005: GW Parkway

This list is probably missing a few.

froggie

QuoteCulpeper Bypass

The southern part, yes.  The northern part of the bypass still has an at-grade at SR 666.

Quote17: Warrenton Bypass, Oak Grove Connector (briefly)

Officially no for the latter.  The Oak Grove Connector begins at 17 (464's old end).

Quote211: Luray Bypass

Not true.  Yes, it's limited access and there's the interchange at 340, but there are at-grades on either side of that interchange within the bypass corridor.

Quote250: Charlottesville Bypass

Only the part co-located with US 29.

Quote262: Woodrow Wilson Pkwy

Only part of the southern leg, from I-64/81 to about VA 252.  From VA 252 to US 250, it's "Super-2".  The northern leg "northeast" of US 250 is at-grade.

31E

For the record, my working definition of a freeway is a road that has full control of access (no driveways), at least two interchanges, and no at-grade intersections. We can debate about RIROs and the like but the definition is quite usable. Keep the entries coming.

andy3175

Quote from: Mark68 on September 27, 2013, 06:58:13 PM
Does US 395 from Hallelujah Jct to the Nevada line (north of Reno) qualify?

No. There are several at-grade intersections with minor roads along US 395 from the state line north to the California 70 interchange at Hallelujah Junction. So it is expressway, not freeway (using the Caltrans definition of those two words).

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2013, 03:25:55 AM
- An argument could be made for the new US 93 bridge near Hoover Dam (AZ/NV).

Yes, US 93 over Hoover Dam Bypass is a freeway and carries that characteristic between Nevada and Arizona. An interchange with Nevada 172 is located at the west end of the bridge, and a local access interchange is located at the east end of the interchange. Eventually, US 93 will connect with the Boulder City Bypass freeway which is currently being planned to connect Hoover Dam Bypass with the existing US 93-95 freeway. The Arizona section of US 93 has extensive expressway/freeway segments too, but I'm not sure how far the freeway goes past that first interchange just east of the bridge.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Joe The Dragon

Looking On Google maps There are some dirt roads they can be likely easily made into RIRO with maybe some U-trun bays or just cut off use one of the wild life? overpass.

Then there is the last stop place in White Hills. But only one side has an paved shoulder.

mapman1071

Quote from: andy3175 on October 04, 2013, 10:21:23 PM

Yes, US 93 over Hoover Dam Bypass is a freeway and carries that characteristic between Nevada and Arizona. An interchange with Nevada 172 is located at the west end of the bridge, and a local access interchange is located at the east end of the interchange. Eventually, US 93 will connect with the Boulder City Bypass freeway which is currently being planned to connect Hoover Dam Bypass with the existing US 93-95 freeway. The Arizona section of US 93 has extensive expressway/freeway segments too, but I'm not sure how far the freeway goes past that first interchange just east of the bridge.

Regards,
Andy

Currently US 93 from Wickenburg AZ to the south end of I-515 In NV is being upgraded in sections to 4 to 6 lane divided highway for full upgrade to I-11.
I-11 will replace I-515 and will Decertify US93 south of I-15. (Routing south of Wickenberg (W Bypass) to Tucson, AZ (W and S Bypass) and North of I-15/515-95 Junction NV  Are in the long Term Planning Stages.)

mapman1071

I Define Freeway (West) or Expressway (East) as a complete Limited Access road open to ALL Traffic and free of tolls (With the exception of Toll Bridges or Tunnels).

I would not include:
Parkway's              NY, NJ, CT
Turnpikes & Thruways  NY, NJ, PA, OH, IN IL, OK, CA, DE, MA, FL

Hybrid Limited Access Highway's May Be a Exception
HOT Lanes
Tolled Express Lanes (CA91)

NE2

Quote from: mapman1071 on October 06, 2013, 06:07:52 PM
I Define Freeway (West) or Expressway (East) as a complete Limited Access road open to ALL Traffic
That's going to cut out the majority of the mileage in eastern states that don't allow bikes or peds on most freeways.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: mapman1071 on October 06, 2013, 06:07:52 PM
I Define Freeway (West) or Expressway (East) as a complete Limited Access road open to ALL Traffic and free of tolls (With the exception of Toll Bridges or Tunnels).

I would not include:
Parkway's              NY, NJ, CT
Turnpikes & Thruways  NY, NJ, PA, OH, IN IL, OK, CA, DE, MA, FL

Hybrid Limited Access Highway's May Be a Exception
HOT Lanes
Tolled Express Lanes (CA91)

a) No matter how you define it, there are standard definitions. That's like saying "I define cat as dog, so all dogs are cats."
b) Limited access is not the same as controlled access. Expressways are limited access but not controlled - you can have signals and side streets. Freeways are both controlled and limited access. A "Jersey Freeway" is controlled access but not limited - you can have driveways, just no median breaks.
c) I don't know what ALL TRAFFIC has to do with anything, but a freeway or expressway is defined by access control. Restrictions on trucks, farm equipment, etc. have nothing to do with the quality of the road.
d) If you want to argue that a toll plaza requiring you to stop means you're not on a freeway, I will allow that. But I am strongly considering you're not arguing that. Tolls do not disqualify something from being an expressway or freeway, especially when there are through lanes that don't require a stop. That includes the NY Thruway (there are no other tolled Thruways, despite your pluralization) and many Turnpikes, since they now have E-ZPass express lanes.
e) Plural's d'o no't requir'e apostrophe's. If that sentence looks ridiculous, so do the apostrophes. (signed, yr friendly admin)

Alps

Quote from: mapman1071 on October 06, 2013, 05:52:23 PM
Quote from: andy3175 on October 04, 2013, 10:21:23 PM

Regards,
Andy

Currently US 93 from Wickenburg AZ to the south end of I-515 In NV is being upgraded in sections to 4 to 6 lane divided highway for full upgrade to I-11.
I-11 will replace I-515 and will Decertify US93 south of I-15. (Routing south of Wickenberg (W Bypass) to Tucson, AZ (W and S Bypass) and North of I-15/515-95 Junction NV  Are in the long Term Planning Stages.)

Take it to fictional highways. This has no place here.

hotdogPi

I still don't understand the difference between limited access and controlled access.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is back; I'm just waiting for the Travel Mapping update to happen.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on October 06, 2013, 06:50:20 PM
I still don't understand the difference between limited access and controlled access.

Kentucky always defined "limited access" to mean its interstates and parkways.

West Virginia uses the terms "access fully controlled" and "access partially controlled." The former is for interstates, the latter is for routes like US 50, US 119 and US 33 (the ARC corridors) that have a mixture of at-grade intersections and grade-separated interchanges.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Fully vs. partially makes more sense and is more consistent. However, partially controlled access should logically include highways with the occasional driveway, as well as the occasional crossroad. Access control is all about buying the freedumb from landowners to built driveways out to the highway.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Quote from: NE2 on October 06, 2013, 07:26:08 PM
Fully vs. partially makes more sense and is more consistent. However, partially controlled access should logically include highways with the occasional driveway, as well as the occasional crossroad. Access control is all about buying the freedumb from landowners to built driveways out to the highway.
Does your definition include this? http://goo.gl/maps/81DN7, a driveway largely inaccessible to civilians, probably carrying one or two vehicles per year, in the middle of an otherwise largely interstate-standard, fully-controlled access freeway?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

Dr Frankenstein

I'm also a fan of non-interstate, non-autoroute and non-400 freeways, but even more a fan of RIROs or Jersey freeways.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 07, 2013, 12:08:30 AM
I'm also a fan of non-interstate, non-autoroute and non-400 freeways, but even more a fan of RIROs or Jersey freeways.

So no GA 400 either?
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is back; I'm just waiting for the Travel Mapping update to happen.

Aerobird

There's a whole wad of freeways around Miami that are non-Interstate, most notabily the Sawgrass (FL 869) and Palmetto (FL 826) expressways, but also the Airport Expressway (FL 112, an extension of I-195), South Dade Expressway (FL 874), East-West Expressway (FL 836, an extension of I-395) and the Gratigny Parkway (FL 924) which extends east from the terminus of I-75.

There's also FL 407 by Titusville (although that's apparently losing its fully-freeway status with the I-95 interchange reconstruction), the OOCEA toll roads (FL 408, FL 417, FL 414 extension, FL 429, and FL 528), and the Crosstown Expressway (FL 618), Veterans' Expressway (FL 589/FL 568) and Suncoast Parkway (FL 589) by Tampa.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.