News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 132 and CR J132

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 14, 2018, 12:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahwyguy

Quote from: sparker on May 30, 2021, 02:43:31 PM
Must be on the portion of McHenry that's north of where CA 108 turns east toward Riverbank.  The remainder south into downtown Modesto remains as part of CA 108 (at least from the info on Daniel's site).  However, a more detailed reading of the status of the proposed and/or UC expressway indicates that the western portion paralleling CA 219 is considered "future development"; this probably means that for the time being CA 108 will probably continue to turn south onto McHenry to access central Modesto -- and that 219 will stick around for a while longer.  Nevertheless, I'd put money down on the entire expressway being designated/signed as CA 108 once eventually completed west to CA 99. 

Thanks for making me realize where this was. I did have that improvement on my Route 108 pages, so I'll go back and add these in while I'm thinking about things. Here's the map I added to show where this is:

Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on May 30, 2021, 02:43:31 PM
Nevertheless, I'd put money down on the entire expressway being designated/signed as CA 108 once eventually completed west to CA 99. 

An intriguing thought I just had:

When the Route 111 expressway was constructed from Brawley to El Centro, making that the main route going south instead of 86...there hasn't been an attempt yet to say reroute 86 onto the new expressway.  I recall part of old 86 (old 99) has been turned back to local control south of Brawley but the rest of the route exists. 

This is a little different from the 111/86 concurrency north of Mecca.

So that makes me wonder if the status quo will be maintained for the eventual route numberings in this area, or if a wholesale reroute will be done - given there are semi-recent examples of both!
Chris Sampang

cahwyguy

Quote from: TheStranger on May 30, 2021, 06:27:58 PM
So that makes me wonder if the status quo will be maintained for the eventual route numberings in this area, or if a wholesale reroute will be done - given there are semi-recent examples of both!

That's addressed in some of the material on my pages about the North County Corridor (which is what they call this):

In May 2010, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project in Stanislaus County that would study corridor options for a future alignment of Route 108 near the city of Oakdale. There is no construction for this project because it is for route adoption only. Once the route adoption is approved by the Commission, and funding becomes available, the Stanislaus Council of Governments and the Department will conduct further environmental studies to identify a roadway alignment within the selected corridor. The construction of the new roadway is anticipated to occur in Fiscal Year (FY) 2025. Conceptual level cost estimates to build a new roadway range from $600 to $800 million (FY 2009 costs), and $1.3 to $1.5 billion (FY 2030 costs). It is expected that the future project, however, will have potential impacts to land use, farmlands, cultural resources, biological resources, relocations, hazardous waste, water quality, paleontology, and air quality.

Specifically, the proposal is to modify the adopted route for Route 108 in Stanislaus County, in the vicinity of the cities of Modesto, Riverbank, and Oakdale. The ultimate facility is planned as a multi-lane freeway/expressway corridor, approximately 18 miles long. A Project Report was approved on April 13, 2010. An Environmental Impact Report was prepared for California Environmental Quality Act and the document was approved on April 13, 2010. This 18 mile long project, referred to as the North County Corridor (NCC) Route 108 East Route Adoption, will bypass the cities of Riverbank and Oakdale, improve interregional system connectivity, and improve regional traffic operations.

[...]

The ultimate facility is planned as a multi-lane freeway, approximately ten miles long, from Route 219 and McHenry Avenue to just east of Albers Road and as a multi-lane controlled access highway for the remaining eight miles until it connects with Route 120, approximately six miles east of the City of Oakdale. The freeway segment will serve the urban areas of Modesto, Riverbank, and Oakdale. The controlled access highway segment is planned for the rural area of Stanislaus County south-east of Oakdale. The route adoptions will be executed as two concurrent CTC actions on this month's agenda (see also Resolution HRA 10-03). Although the North County Corridor encompasses a roadway facility between Route 99 and Route 120, the proposed State route adoption is only for the segment between Route 108 (McHenry Avenue) and Route 120. These limits are a result of discussions occurring June 2008 to February 2009 between State and local entities. A freeway adoption connecting to Route 99 was interfering with the development of a modification proposal at the Hammett Road/Route 99 interchange. The Project Study Report for that project has assumed Hammett would remain a local road and proposes a local type interchange at Route 99. The Department concurred to pursue evaluating the new NCC Route 108 East Route Adoption. This request is for the Freeway Route Adoption, and a separate request is being submitted for the Controlled Access Highway Route Adoption (Resolution HRA 10-03). These two route adoptions will allow for the execution of a freeway agreement and a controlled access highway agreement with Stanislaus County.

Relinquishment of the existing Route 108 will occur after construction of the new bypass. Relinquishment will transfer the State's right of way, title, and interest of the superseded section of Route 108 to the City of Oakdale, City of Riverbank, and Stanislaus County as depicted in the attached Route Adoption Map.

[...]

The August 2017 Draft EIR noted: The proposed project will connect Route 219 near Modesto to Route 120 near Oakdale. This environmental document analyzes the four Build Alternatives (1A, 1B, 2A, and 2B) and the NoBuild Alternative. The western end of all alternatives is at the Route 219 (Kiernan Avenue)/Tully Road intersection. The project is analyzed as three distinct segments for environmental evaluation purposes and explaining the proposed improvements. Segment 1 represents the more urbanized area; Segment 2 represents a transition from urbanized to rural area; and Segment 3 represents the rural foothill area.
(Source: NCC DEIR August 2017)

Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

The Ghostbuster

Has the new CA 132 expressway in Modesto opened to traffic yet? The 2023 Rand McNally Road Atlas shows it as completed between the CA 99 freeway and North Dakota Ave. Did Rand McNally jump the gun?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 28, 2022, 02:25:53 PM
Has the new CA 132 expressway in Modesto opened to traffic yet? The 2023 Rand McNally Road Atlas shows it as completed between the CA 99 freeway and North Dakota Ave. Did Rand McNally jump the gun?

Wasn't anywhere close when I drove through there a couple months back.

Max Rockatansky

Today in current events, the opening of Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway.  On September 15, 2022, the Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway opened in the city of Modesto from California State Route 99 west to North Dakota Avenue.  Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway was built upon a corridor which was tentatively to designated to become the branching point for Interstate 5W in the 1947 concept of the Interstate Highway System.  The present California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor was adopted by the California Highway Commission on June 20, 1956.  Despite almost being rescinded during the 1970s the concept of the California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor lingered on for over half a century and became likely the oldest undeveloped right-of-way owned by California Transportation Commission.  Pictured above is the planned California State Route 132 freeway west of US Route 99 in Modesto as featured in the May/June 1962 California Highways & Public Works. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/09/phase-1-of-california-state-route-132.html?m=1

pderocco

Looking at aerial imagery in Google Earth, it doesn't look like there was any undeveloped ROW west of Morse Rd.

I'll bet they wish they could freeway-ize 132 E of 99, to service the industrial area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.