News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Favorite Accent

Started by webny99, May 30, 2019, 02:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Believe it or not, I couldn't find any record of this thread having been done before.

My two favorites would have to be Deep South (AL, MS, TN) and Upper Northwest (BC).
Not a fan of the East Coast accent, and Upper Midwest is OK, but rather blah in my opinion.

Max Rockatansky

Old Chicago, it makes everyone sound like they are reading news reel headline. 

TheHighwayMan3561

Australian, as it's like a twangy variation on a standard London one.

BC has a distinct accent?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

1995hoo

Never driven nor ridden in an Accent. The Sonata looks like a nicer car in my opinion.

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

Big John

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 30, 2019, 02:55:44 PM
BC has a distinct accent?

Western Canada in general does, but it just so happens that BC is the only western province I've been to.

All their A's sound like "ahh"... they don't use the "ehh" sound much.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 30, 2019, 02:55:44 PM
Australian, as it's like a twangy variation on a standard London one.

Maybe I've just heard too much of the Australian accent, but to me it gets real old real quick. More like cartoon characters gone bad or something.  :-D

Takumi

Domestic: North Carolina, Arkansas, Upper Midwest.
Foreign: Russian, German, both southern and northern English, South African, Japanese.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on May 30, 2019, 10:37:45 PM
Macron. At least he's better than – oh wait, I don't want to get the thread locked.

Count me totally confused. This must be a play on an accent I've never heard (no pun intended there :)).

US 89

Takumi

Quote from: webny99 on May 30, 2019, 10:45:46 PM
Macron. At least he's better than – oh wait, I don't want to get the thread locked.

Count me totally confused. This must be a play on an accent I've never heard (no pun intended there :)).
Yeah, I have no idea what he was talking about either, though he deleted the post now.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Takumi on May 30, 2019, 11:12:50 PM
Yeah, I have no idea what he was talking about either, though he deleted the post now.

"Accent" is sometimes used to mean any sort of modifying mark (properly, a diacritic) to a letter, and not just for acute accents.

In this case, he was referring to a macron, which is a horizontal line used above a letter (example: ā). He was also making a joke about the French president, Macron.

oscar

Quote from: Takumi on May 30, 2019, 11:12:50 PM

A "macron" is a straight line above an "o" (ō) or some other vowel. In Hawaiian, a macron changes the pronunciation of "o" from "oh" to "oo", most notably in the phrase "Maui nō ka 'oi" (is the best).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

thspfc

British and Scottish sound best. New York accent and Chinese accent sound hilarious to me. The southern accent sounds really bad, IMO.

Henry

Being from Chicago, I can vouch for their accent being my favorite. I still put "da" in front of Bears and Bulls!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: US 89 on May 30, 2019, 10:51:54 PM
´

Heresy! ` is better in every way. It even has its own key on the US keyboard (for some reason).
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 30, 2019, 11:24:25 PM
"Accent" is sometimes used to mean any sort of modifying mark (properly, a diacritic) to a letter, and not just for acute accents.
Well thanks - I knew that! :pan:

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 30, 2019, 11:24:25 PM
In this case, he was referring to a macron, which is a horizontal line used above a letter (example: ā). He was also making a joke about the French president, Macron.
OK, the accent > macron connection is what I was missing. I never thought to google "macron". Who knew it might have other applications besides someone's last name.

webny99

Reading through this thread, you would never know I intended it to be completely serious.  :D

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Never much liked the Indian accent but then I had this passenger last week she had such a beautiful Indian accent. 

ClassicHasClass

QuoteMaybe I've just heard too much of the Australian accent,

My mother, my wife and my in-laws are all Aussies (and as a dual AU-US citizen technically so am I, though they say I speak funny), so I may have you beat there. I'm not tired of it. :)

webny99

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 01, 2019, 12:30:17 PM
QuoteMaybe I've just heard too much of the Australian accent,
My mother, my wife and my in-laws are all Aussies (and as a dual AU-US citizen technically so am I, though they say I speak funny), so I may have you beat there. I'm not tired of it. :)

I'm sure you do have me beat. I have an aunt and some friends formerly from Australia, but most of their accents are now diminishing. When I hear true Aussies talk it's enjoyable at first but enough for a headache after a while.  :meh:

ghYHZ

I'm from the Canadian Maritimes and occasionally travel to our office in Wisconsin. Some of my co-workers there had difficulty believing I was from Canada "you talk just like us" . But on the other hand....when I'm in our office in St. John's the Newfoundland accent is quite distinct!   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.