News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest Cities Without an Interstate Connection

Started by theroadwayone, June 20, 2019, 08:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: webny99 on July 29, 2019, 02:26:33 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 29, 2019, 11:34:28 AM
Who cares if Buffalo-DC has an inefficient routing? There's no demand for an improved routing that way, for that long of a stretch. Last I checked, there's not much of anything in central NY State, northern PA, etc. Lots of money for little gain.

Umm.. a few things.
-CSVT wouldn't be happening if there was no long-distance demand in the region.

LOL yes it would. It's federal pork for a distressed area. Get a hold of reality.

-It's not just Buffalo. Around 1/3 of Canada's total population must pass through Buffalo to get to the East Coast, thus they are affected as well.

Yes, because so many people are eager to drive from Toronto to DC...

-Just because there are no major population centers, doesn't mean there's "nothing". There are plenty of tourist attractions, including but not limited to Kinzua Bridge, the Allegany's, Letchworth, the Finger Lakes. There is certainly more demand for Buffalo>DC than there is for most rural western interstates, and there is plenty of demand with more localized start and endpoints as well.

Clearly those places have been able to take off as tourist destinations with the existing infrastructure. So what's the issue? For local demand, surely state and US highways are sufficent, no?

sprjus4

A quick look at the AADT shows about 8,000 - 11,000 AADT at least on New York's portion of US-219. For a long distance route, that certainly warrants at least 4-lanes. US-58 across Southern Virginia has been mostly widened to 4-lanes with town bypasses since the 80s and it only carries 3,000 - 5,000 AADT for most of its distance west of I-85. I'd recommend extending the existing US-219 Southern Expwy south to at least I-86, and eventually to I-99 through collaboration with Pennsylvania. Or at least widening the road to a 4-lane divided highway at minimum.

webny99

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 29, 2019, 02:49:52 PM
Who cares if Buffalo-DC has an inefficient routing? There's no demand for an improved routing that way, for that long of a stretch. Last I checked, there's not much of anything in central NY State, northern PA, etc. Lots of money for little gain.
Umm.. a few things.
-CSVT wouldn't be happening if there was no long-distance demand in the region.
LOL yes it would. It's federal pork for a distressed area. Get a hold of reality.

Let me get this straight: you think they're building a brand new 12-mile freeway to serve a few dozen local cars going from Selinsgrove to Northumberland, and you're telling me to get a hold of reality?  :paranoid:  :confused:

Unless proven otherwise, that stretch of US 15 through Shamokin Dam has the highest truck percentage on a surface street in the nation. In addition, Google Maps preferred routing between the following cities uses the aforementioned section of US 15:
Toronto, ON and Baltimore
Toronto, ON and Harrisburg
Hamilton, ON and Baltimore
Hamilton, ON and Harrisburg
London, ON and Baltimore
London, ON and Harrisburg
Rochester and Baltimore
Rochester and Harrisburg
Buffalo and Baltimore
Buffalo and Harrisburg
Williamsport and Baltimore
Williamsport and Harrisburg

I could start including smaller cities, and the list would increase in length at an exponential rate, but you get the idea. In addition, the traffic conditions at any given time, can vary by enough for that route to also be the best route to Washington DC, from all of those places.

-It's not just Buffalo. Around 1/3 of Canada's total population must pass through Buffalo to get to the East Coast, thus they are affected as well.
Yes, because so many people are eager to drive from Toronto to DC...

They're doing it regardless, but the only reason they're not doing it eagerly, is because of how terrible the trip is using US 219.

And to be clear, we're talking about Canada's largest city, and the capital city of the US.
We're not talking about Billings to Missoula, or Lincoln, NE to Cheyenne, WY, or any other random combination of two small or mid-size cities, most of which already have interstate connections to one another. Demand and population are not lacking here.

sprjus4

That project would go a long way to fill in the gap in the freeway network that exists on US-15 between Harrisburg and I-180, and link US-15 thru traffic including a significant amount of heavy truck traffic directly to I-180 without having to traverse through at least 3 towns. It's a vital project and it's not "federal pork for a distressed area", it's closing a gap on for the US-15 corridor.

I'm not that familiar with the corridor or that area but it's pretty easy to see the importance of the project.

vdeane

I can tell you've never been there.  That part of US 11/15 is VERY congested due to a combination of the local retail and tons of thru traffic.

In any case, the inability to get from anywhere in NY west of I-81 (and nearby parts of Ontario) to/from anywhere in the mid-Atlantic area of the country on an all-freeway route is very annoying.  Fortunately, I don't have that problem in the Capital District.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

I make that trip 3 times per year, and at least it should be improved to where there are no sections that are less than 4 lanes.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 29, 2019, 10:34:22 PM

I make that trip 3 times per year, and at least it should be improved to where there are no sections that are less than 4 lanes.
Once the CSTV is completed, an all four-lane / mostly freeway connection would exist via I-90, I-390, US-15, and I-83.

It's slightly longer, but that's probably the best you're going to get. Unless they find a huge stash of money to expand 100+ miles of two-lane road into four-lane, I can't see US-219 getting expanded.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 29, 2019, 10:54:29 PM
Once the CSTV is completed, an all four-lane / mostly freeway connection would exist via I-90, I-390, US-15, and I-83.
It's slightly longer, but that's probably the best you're going to get.

I-390 to I-90, is not "slightly longer", it is a enough longer that it is not competitive with the 2-lane US-20A.  Large trucks have to take it because they are banned on US-20A.

Besides, the US-15 route thru that Shamokin Dam area is already 4 lanes, and it connects to I-80 which connects to I-180.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

webny99

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 12:18:35 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on July 29, 2019, 10:54:29 PM
It's slightly longer, but that's probably the best you're going to get.
I-390 to I-90, is not "slightly longer", it is a enough longer that it is not competitive with the 2-lane US-20A.  Large trucks have to take it because they are banned on US-20A.

Agreed that I-390 to I-90 is not a good option for cars, US 20A is much better. But trucks do not have to take I-390 to I-90, and very few of them do, as noted upthread:
Quote from: webny99 on July 28, 2019, 04:51:28 PM
You can also use NY 63 to cut the corner.
Trucks are banned from US 20A in Warsaw, so Thruway Exit 48A (NY 77) to US 20 to NY 63 to to NY 36 to I-390 Exit 6 is a very popular truck route.

Besides, the US-15 route thru that Shamokin Dam area is already 4 lanes, and it connects to I-80 which connects to I-180.
The problem there isn't too few lanes. It's too many traffic lights and too much local commercial activity for a corridor with that much truck and long distance traffic.

sprjus4

For the 4-lane discussion above, I was thinking you were referring to the US-219 to I-99 option, not the I-90 vs. US-20A to I-390 to US-15 option.

As for the US-20A to I-390 routing, if NYSDOT were to ever improve that routing, I'd say the best answer would be instead of widening 50 miles of US-20A to four-lanes, construct a 20 mile freeway routing parallel to NY-63 between Batavia and I-390 northeast of Mt. Morris. The distance would be ~3-4 miles additional to take the freeway routing over US-20A, and would cut out that out-of-way bend currently needed to follow I-90 to I-390.

It'd be 30 miles of less construction, and unless it's determined widening 50 miles of 2-lane non-limited-access road to 4-lanes is cheaper than constructing 20 miles of new location freeway, I'd say it's the better option.

It could be toll financed if necessary, but preferably not. The only toll on that route would be for driving 30 miles of the Thruway.

Once the CSTV is completed, if a uniform 65 mph speed limit is utilized, the connector would shave off 10-15 minutes from the existing routing, and link you directly to I-180 / NY-147 freeway 8 miles south of I-80 without having to take US-15 all the way up to cut over. It may already be four-lanes, but it's heavily urbanized, lots of traffic signals, etc. as webny99 mentioned above.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 12:10:50 PM
As for the US-20A to I-390 routing, if NYSDOT were to ever improve that routing, I'd say the best answer would be instead of widening 50 miles of US-20A to four-lanes, construct a 20 mile freeway routing parallel to NY-63 between Batavia and I-390 northeast of Mt. Morris. The distance would be ~3-4 miles additional to take the freeway routing over US-20A, and would cut out that out-of-way bend currently needed to follow I-90 to I-390.
It'd be 30 miles of less construction, and unless it's determined widening 50 miles of 2-lane non-limited-access road to 4-lanes is cheaper than constructing 20 miles of new location freeway, I'd say it's the better option.
It could be toll financed if necessary, but preferrably not. The only toll on that route would be for driving 30 miles of the Thruway.

I have proposed some variant of this in the fictional board on multiple occasions. The difference isn't quite that stark. A new freeway parallel to NY 63 would be about 30 miles in length. A new freeway parallel to US 20A is another option, preferably an extension of NY 400. That would be about 41 miles of new construction, as NY 400 already protrudes several miles east from Buffalo.

Neither are terrible options. Anything along NY 63 would have to be effective in bypassing Batavia, and anything along US 20A would have to be effective in bypassing Warsaw, so pick your poison, as they say.
If NY 63 was the bypass route of choice, widening the Thruway from there to Buffalo would be an absolute must.

Beltway

Quote from: webny99 on July 30, 2019, 11:49:24 AM
Agreed that I-390 to I-90 is not a good option for cars, US 20A is much better. But trucks do not have to take I-390 to I-90, and very few of them do, as noted upthread:
Quote from: webny99 on July 28, 2019, 04:51:28 PM
You can also use NY 63 to cut the corner.
Trucks are banned from US 20A in Warsaw, so Thruway Exit 48A (NY 77) to US 20 to NY 63 to to NY 36 to I-390 Exit 6 is a very popular truck route.

NY-63 goes thru towns, and the city of Batavia, and for cars is not competitive with US-20A.

Quote from: webny99 on July 30, 2019, 11:49:24 AM
The problem there isn't too few lanes. It's too many traffic lights and too much local commercial activity for a corridor with that much truck and long distance traffic.

Agree with all, but CSVT will not bypass a 2-lane US-15 routing as implied by another poster.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 01:22:20 PM
Agree with all, but CSVT will not bypass a 2-lane US-15 routing as implied by another poster.
Well technically, the Google preferred routing of taking US-11 across the Susquehanna River to connect with PA-147 has two-lane portions that would bypassed by the CSVT.

Taking US-11 across to PA-147 is 4 minutes faster, and 3 miles less than taking US-15 all the way.

And I also noted in my post it would extend the freeway, which is true.

NY-63 goes thru towns, and the city of Batavia, and for cars is not competitive with US-20A.
Technically if you're coming from the northern side of Buffalo, I-90 to NY-63 is 2 minutes faster and the recommended route on Google and Waze. From the southern side, it's US-20A.

And to be fair, US-20A goes through Warsaw, Varysburg, and Mt. Morris. NY-63 goes through Batavia, Pavilion, and Greigsville. Both routings goes through towns.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 01:27:59 PM
Well technically, the Google preferred routing of taking US-11 across the Susquehanna River to connect with PA-147 has two-lane portions that would bypassed by the CSVT.
Taking US-11 across to PA-147 is 4 minutes faster, and 3 miles less than taking US-15 all the way.

Must be due to a traffic incident that temporarily changing the routing.  That route thru Northumberland is slow and congested, and Google has never shown me that routing.

US-15 to I-80 is nothing to write home about, but as a 4-lane highway is better than 2 lanes thru that borough.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Technically if you're coming from the northern side of Buffalo, I-90 to NY-63 is 2 minutes faster and the recommended route on Google and Waze. From the southern side, it's US-20A.
And to be fair, US-20A goes through Warsaw, Varysburg, and Mt. Morris. NY-63 goes through Batavia, Pavilion, and Greigsville. Both routings goes through towns.

I don't go to the northern side of Buffalo.  Batavia is much larger than those US-20A towns.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 01:35:17 PM
That route thru Northumberland is slow and congested, and Google has never shown me that routing.
You bypass Northumberland on US-15 but then still have to go through Winfield and Linntown, and while I'm not familiar with either routing, Linnfield appears to be larger than Northumberland and also has a university. Google is showing me red areas on the traffic map around the signals, where it's all green through Northumberland.

But I suppose either routing would be just as efficient, depending on preference. There's barely any difference in travel time / mileage. Once the CSTV is completed though, it'll be a no brainer to take that.

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 01:37:45 PM
I don't go to the northern side of Buffalo.
Well then US-20A would be the preferred route for your situation. My comment was countering your claim that the northern routing is not competitive to US-20A, when indeed it is for half of the Buffalo traffic. For southern Buffalo traffic, it's not competitive, I agree with that.

vdeane

I'm assuming you mean to get to I-180 rather than for the whole corridor, because when I do the latter, Google defaults to using US 15 the whole way because it's 1 minute and 10 miles shorter.  In fact, it doesn't even present I-180 as one of the alternates.  I can't even get it to use I-180 for Williamsport to destinations in the east along I-80, or even if I put a point onto PA 147... looks like Google prefers to avoid I-180 like the plague!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 01:43:05 PM
Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 01:35:17 PM
That route thru Northumberland is slow and congested, and Google has never shown me that routing.
You bypass Northumberland on US-15 but then still have to go through Winfield and Linntown, and while I'm not familiar with either routing, Linnfield appears to be larger than Northumberland and also has a university. Google is showing me red areas on the traffic map around the signals, where it's all green through Northumberland.
But I suppose either routing would be just as efficient, depending on preference. There's barely any difference in travel time / mileage. Once the CSTV is completed though, it'll be a no brainer to take that.

I have driven the corridor at least 30 times in the last 10 years.  Those villages along US-15 are minor compared to the borough of Northumberland.

You rely way too much on computer tools.  The reality on the ground is that the borough of Northumberland is far less preferable.

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 01:43:05 PM
Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 01:37:45 PM
I don't go to the northern side of Buffalo.
Well then US-20A would be the preferred route for your situation. My comment was countering your claim that the northern routing is not competitive to US-20A, when indeed it is for half of the Buffalo traffic. For southern Buffalo traffic, it's not competitive, I agree with that.

When I go to central Buffalo my choice is the same, US-20A to the NY-400 freeway.  The northern routing also deals with a tollroad, and that junction with I-90 and I-290 can get rather congested, and the southern route avoids that.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: vdeane on July 30, 2019, 01:46:22 PM
I'm assuming you mean to get to I-180 rather than for the whole corridor, because when I do the latter, Google defaults to using US 15 the whole way because it's 1 minute and 10 miles shorter.  In fact, it doesn't even present I-180 as one of the alternates.  I can't even get it to use I-180 for Williamsport to destinations in the east along I-80, or even if I put a point onto PA 147... looks like Google prefers to avoid I-180 like the plague!
Weird... it does the same for me on a long distance routing.

Doing custom routing, it says I-180 is 3 minutes slower. Still, I'd likely use it given that it's 4-lane 65 mph freeway over 2-4 lane arterial that passes through South Williamsport. Even if I took US-15 up to I-80, I'd still cut over at that point to I-180.

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 01:51:46 PM
When I go to central Buffalo my choice is the same, US-20A to the NY-400 freeway.  The northern routing also deals with a tollroad, and that junction with I-90 and I-290 can get rather congested, and the southern route avoids that.
Central Buffalo is not northern Buffalo. If you're coming south on I-290, the recommended Google route is to take I-90 to NY-63. Not everybody coming into / out of Buffalo is familiar with the area as you are, they're going to follow Google, Waze, or their GPS and take the route it says, in this case from the I-290 northern corridor which is I-90 to NY-63.

So the northern routing is competitive to the southern routing if it's recommended. It may not be the preferred by the locals and someone like you who's familiar with the area, but that doesn't mean it's not competitive for all car traffic like you claimed.

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 02:03:56 PM
Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 01:51:46 PM
Central Buffalo is not northern Buffalo. If you're coming south on I-290, the recommended Google route is to take I-90 to NY-63. Not everybody coming into / out of Buffalo is familiar with the area as you are, they're going to follow Google, Waze, or their GPS and take the route it says, in this case from the I-290 northern corridor which is I-90 to NY-63.

From Corning NY to downtown Buffalo, Google uses I-86, I-390, NY-36, CR-64, US-20A, NY-400, I-90 and I-190.

Doesn't go anywhere near I-290 or the Thruway east of I-290.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on July 30, 2019, 02:10:00 PM
downtown Buffalo
Central Buffalo is not northern Buffalo.

A routing between the Brighton / Tonawanda areas and Corning recommends I-390 to NY-63 to I-90.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 30, 2019, 02:11:08 PM
Brighton

.. more commonly known as Amherst.  :-P

The Brighton that comes to mind is a Rochester suburb. I had to look it up to see if there was a Brighton near Buffalo, and was surprised to see it does exist (more of a neighborhood though)!

tolbs17

Quote from: webny99 on July 29, 2019, 09:47:06 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 28, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 08:29:28 PM
Should it be demolished or have a new tunnel go under it to have more development? Freeways that are too close to downtown is terrible.
What's wrong with a new viaduct, and what's so terrible about freeways close to downtown? That's where the highest concentration of commuters work, after all.

It's guzzling up land unnecessary and it makes a lot of noise? Tunnels solve that problem.

US 89

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 31, 2019, 12:54:24 AM
Quote from: webny99 on July 29, 2019, 09:47:06 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 28, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 08:29:28 PM
Should it be demolished or have a new tunnel go under it to have more development? Freeways that are too close to downtown is terrible.
What's wrong with a new viaduct, and what's so terrible about freeways close to downtown? That's where the highest concentration of commuters work, after all.

It's guzzling up land unnecessary and it makes a lot of noise? Tunnels solve that problem.

Those also guzzle up lots of money.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.