News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Quote from: cenlaroads on March 30, 2015, 08:59:00 PM
Today Louisiana DOTD released the first issue of their new quarterly newsletter.
That quote is interesting about the speed limits set at the 85th percentile. Maybe they haven't done a speed survey on the Pineville Expressway (set at 65 MPH instead of a limited access highway at 70, as is on US 90 in some parts), or where vehicles enter Louisiana from Texas, where the speed drops from 75 MPH on US 190 to 55 MPH.

I'm sure US 71 between its' northern junction with US 167, and Montgomery, could be reasonably set at 65 MPH with the wide shoulders and extremely light traffic, with maybe a drop to 55 MPH where it meets LA 8 near Colfax. I'm also sure that I-49 could use a speed limit of 65 MPH between US 190 and I-10, where you almost feel unsafe with the speed at 70 MPH and uneven shoulders and narrow bridges. I'm mostly surprised that the legislature sets the speed limits, and not the highway engineers. But, who knows? I'm thankful that I-49 is 75 MPH for most of the route.

Also, went across the new O.K. Allen bridge and other than a red light that eventually will be removed, the flow of traffic is very smooth. You have a full right of way along US 71/165 between LA 496 (Bayou Rapides Rd) and the Pineville Expressway. I'm curious as to how the intersection with the entrance to Central Hospital will work out, and I'm pretty surprised at how little work is done to make it basically Interstate-grade between where US 71 splits off and LA 496. The video of the project on Youtube doesn't show much detail, but it already looks halfway thought out.

Grzrd

Quote from: brownpelican on March 26, 2014, 03:00:34 PM
Money was made available for capital outlay transportation projects across the state for fiscal year 2015, Gov. Jindal announced. They are: ...
$2 million for a study of the "West Bank Connector", which may add another bridge across the Mississippi between Plaquemine and Saint Gabriel ...
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/03/toll_roadway_among_baton_rouge.html#incart_river
Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 06, 2015, 01:46:19 PM
About time for an I-49 South update here...it's been a while.
The main justification for this project is less a bypass of Baton Rouge ... There may be some who would use that corridor to bypass the clusterwhack of I-10 through BTR, but that's what the Baton Rouge Loop is proposed to do, right? Most traffic wanting to bypass NOLA will use I-10 to I-12, and LA 415 to Airline Highway (US 190/61) could be an even more effective alternative if the BUMP proposal for a tollway/freeway along that corridor is realized. The proposal for a West Side Expressway along the LA1/LA 3127 corridor from Port Allen to Boutte, with connections to the Sunshine Bridge and a new bridge between Addis and St. Gabriel, could help, too. Direct improvements to I-10, including fixing the bottleneck of the 10-110 Split interchange, would be far more effective, IMHO.
(bottom quote from I49 in LA thread)

In this April 6 Ask the Advocate mailbag, LaDOTD indicates that the Westside Expressway (as well as a new bridge across the Mississippi River) is being considered for the Statewide Transportation Plan:

Lauren Lee, public information officer with the state Department of Transportation and Development ....
QUESTION: Speaking of diverting traffic around Baton Rouge, another reader suggests both a west bank expressway and an east bank expressway from Baton Rouge to the Sunshine Bridge would allow vehicles to bypass traffic snarls on I-10 and I-12 in Baton Rouge.
ANSWER: Lee says a Westside Expressway is being considered for inclusion in the Statewide Transportation Plan, which DOTD is in the process of updating.
"This concept includes a new bridge between the I-10 Mississippi River Bridge and the Sunshine Bridge. The estimated cost is approximately $1.7 billion, which includes: $845 million for connector segment, $800 million for new bridge, and $121 million for improvements to La. 3127.
"The new plan will be complete in early fall 2015."

I assume that they are still studying the location between Plaquemine and Saint Gabriel.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Grzrd on April 06, 2015, 02:17:29 PM
In this April 6 Ask the Advocate mailbag, LaDOTD indicates that the Westside Expressway (as well as a new bridge across the Mississippi River) is being considered for the Statewide Transportation Plan:

Lauren Lee, public information officer with the state Department of Transportation and Development ....
QUESTION: Speaking of diverting traffic around Baton Rouge, another reader suggests both a west bank expressway and an east bank expressway from Baton Rouge to the Sunshine Bridge would allow vehicles to bypass traffic snarls on I-10 and I-12 in Baton Rouge.
ANSWER: Lee says a Westside Expressway is being considered for inclusion in the Statewide Transportation Plan, which DOTD is in the process of updating.
"This concept includes a new bridge between the I-10 Mississippi River Bridge and the Sunshine Bridge. The estimated cost is approximately $1.7 billion, which includes: $845 million for connector segment, $800 million for new bridge, and $121 million for improvements to La. 3127.
"The new plan will be complete in early fall 2015."

I assume that they are still studying the location between Plaquemine and Saint Gabriel.
$1.7 billion seems like a steal. Just getting the trucks off of I-10 in Baton Rouge seems like a good enough reason. Improvements for LA 3127 is to upgrade the highway to a four-lane, I'm assuming, or would LA 3127 basically be extended north to meet I-10 at LA 415 or between LA 415 and LA 77?

brownpelican

I recall a few weeks ago, I noticed that the right of way has been cleared on US 190 from the Bogue Falaya River bridge to Lee Road (La. 437). Perhaps they are finally getting ready to four-lane the road and build a new bridge over the river as they proposed right after Hurricane Katrina. NOTE: The state BEEN had the right of way for the expansion.

EDIT: I see that the state is reconstructing the right turn lane westbound (northbound). But by the way the land was cleared, you'd think that a new two-lane road is being built.

pctech

I drove from Baton Rouge to Lafayette via I-10 on Sunday. The condition of the interstate is deteriorating pretty quickly now. Lots of "mounds of asphalt" trpe repairs between the west end of the basin and I-49/US 167.

pctech

I completed DODT's online Baton Rouge I-10 corridor survey the other day. I wonder if there's room in the giant warehouse where they have stored all the others before it?...Oh it is digital, so it's likely going be stored as a server backup somewhere.  :spin:

brownpelican

A public meeting will be held June 11th from 4-7 pm at Covington City Council Chambers to discuss DOTD's proposal for widening US 190 to four lanes from the La. 21/US 190 Bus. split to La. 25. An environmental assessment is currently being prepared for the project.

Public comments can be made through July 11. Here's the link:
http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/announcement.aspx?key=7584

mcdonaat

I've noticed that Alexandria has negative offset turn lanes in place for a number of years, and they work very well. I then began to think... is there anywhere else in the state where negative offset left turn lanes exist? https://goo.gl/maps/GMRK7 is one example. LaDOTD is set to reconstruct more intersections to negative offset along US 71, and I believe LA 28 as well.

Anywhere else in the state? Or is it one of those region-specific things that only happens in one area.

iBallasticwolf2

Erlanger Kentucky (It is supposed to be Covington I think) has one here- https://www.google.ca/maps/@38.9913961,-84.5345548,154m/data=!3m1!1e3
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

bassoon1986

Quote from: mcdonaat on June 23, 2015, 04:25:15 PM
I've noticed that Alexandria has negative offset turn lanes in place for a number of years, and they work very well. I then began to think... is there anywhere else in the state where negative offset left turn lanes exist? https://goo.gl/maps/GMRK7 is one example. LaDOTD is set to reconstruct more intersections to negative offset along US 71, and I believe LA 28 as well.

Anywhere else in the state? Or is it one of those region-specific things that only happens in one area.

Monroe, LA also has a few along US 165. I think it has become a Cenla thing. We are definitely one of the only areas to have these awful 2 way service roads at busy intersections (Macarthur Dr/US 71 and LA 28 West)

rte66man

Oklahoma City has a number of them along the Northwest Expressway (OK3)
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Tom958

Quote from: mcdonaat on June 23, 2015, 04:25:15 PM...negative offset turn lanes...

In Georgia, they've become the rule rather than the exception, even for locations that get almost no traffic.

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on June 25, 2015, 02:28:21 PM

Monroe, LA also has a few along US 165. I think it has become a Cenla thing. We are definitely one of the only areas to have these awful 2 way service roads at busy intersections (Macarthur Dr/US 71 and LA 28 West)

I believe I saw this set up at the intersection of Hearne Ave. (LA 3094) and LA 173 in north Shreveport. My google maps doesn't work right on this tablet or I would post the street view link.   :banghead: :banghead: :angry:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

UptownRoadGeek

I think Jefferson Parish takes the cake when it comes to positive offset turning lanes. Which leads to another question. Intersections with at least two lanes marked for right turns are also common in Jefferson Parish, but I can't think of anywhere else in the state. How common is this? I'm sure that the Baton Rouge area may have them.

cjk374

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on July 02, 2015, 10:00:36 PM
I think Jefferson Parish takes the cake when it comes to positive offset turning lanes. Which leads to another question. Intersections with at least two lanes marked for right turns are also common in Jefferson Parish, but I can't think of anywhere else in the state. How common is this? I'm sure that the Baton Rouge area may have them.

In Ruston, exit 86 east bound has a right turn lane, a center lane that can go left, straight or right, and a left turn lane.  Exit 85 west bound has a right turn lane, a center lane that goes straight or right, and a left straight-only lane (this exit is for a divided US 167/LA 146).

mcdonaat

Yes, the setup in Shreveport (Hearne at Shreveport-Blanchard) is the style I was referring to. We seem to have them in multiple places all around town, which means instead of solid arrows, you have permissive turns, since you aren't blocked from seeing oncoming traffic by someone turning left in the other lanes approaching you.

I think Alexandria is the only major city that I've been to where two four-lane highways never have a red light. Lafayette has them all along Ambassador and Johnston, Youree is bad about them in Shreveport, and Monroe has quite a few in random places (LA 15 at US 165 Bypass, N 18th at Louisville, N 7th at Cypress). We only have intersections where three sides are four-lanes, or a massive interchange is built instead.

bassoon1986

Quote from: cjk374 on January 18, 2015, 12:15:55 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 17, 2015, 10:24:49 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 17, 2015, 12:19:13 AM
The old green filled in Louisiana shields on BGS of which I think there are only a few left at junctioning highways, and not on mainline interstates anymore

I think this is the last:  http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bmpwvz1mhtn2z24tzpgz2u

Or maybe the last 2:  http://www.instantstreetview.com/2bml69z1mhmd2z1pbzoqz2u

Also in Louisiana...the BGSs don't put the LA above the number as the state route markers have.

Quote from: cjk374 on January 18, 2015, 09:32:48 AM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 17, 2015, 10:52:29 PM
Cjk, I'd forgotten about that exit since most of Louisiana has gone through an overhaul on BGS and many of them to clearview.

The old style LA shields on BGS that I know of left are on US 71/LA 1 at I-220 and on LA 1 northbound approaching the Natchitoches Bypass

You can mark US 71/LA 1 @ I-220 off your list, as all of those BGS shields are now white fill-ins.

However, I have never been on LA 1 south of Natchitoches.  This is a nice find.  So that means we now have the only 3 BGSs left in LA with the open state shield cataloged in this thread?

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2b3wfwz1mwkupz2u4zp6z2u

Am I right...are these the last 3 outline state shields left in Louisiana? Even Creswell Ln. on I-49 has been replaced (and in clearview  X-( ):  http://www.instantstreetview.com/2abdoxz1nl0iaz1u9zp8z2u

I have photos of 3 out of the 5 green Louisiana state shields remaining on BGS's. (That I know of)

LA 1 north coming into Natchitoches and approaching the bypass. Mainline LA 1 from here is actually signed Bypass North LA 1.
Untitled by Josh Bumgardner, on Flickr

LA 1 south at I-220 in Shreveport. There is a similar one in the opposite direction with I-220 West for Dallas and US 71/LA 1 north for Texarkana with the same green shield.
Untitled by Josh Bumgardner, on Flickr

I-20 westbound in Bossier City at exit 21. There is another identical sign for LA 72 on WB I-20 at exit 22 for Airline Drive.
by Josh Bumgardner, on Flickr

cjk374

Those LA 1 signs at I-220 have survived the sign replacement project so far. Still there as of July 3.

brownpelican

DOTD will hold a public meeting Aug. 4 at 5:30 pm regarding proposed changes to the proposed Earhart Expressway/Causeway Blvd. interchange. The meeting will be at the senior center at the Wally Pontiff Jr. Playground at 1521 Palm St. in Metairie.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/07/public_meeting_scheduled_for_c.html#incart_river

brownpelican

Lane closures this weekend on I-10 East in the Slidell Area, which are part of a  $40 million rehab project.

brownpelican

cjk374

Quote from: brownpelican on July 17, 2015, 07:05:42 PM
Another article about what the Causeway's future should be.

http://www.nola.com/futureofneworleans/2015/07/future_of_the_lake_pontchartra.html#incart_river

I didn't realize the bridge was that old...next year it turns 60. I am surprised they haven't had more traffic problems without the shoulders.

Brian556

At the I-20 EB Welcome Center, they finally replaced the "Area Pet Rest" sign with a "Pet Rest Area" sign.

The Ghostbuster

A while back, I asked if there were any updates on tearing down Interstate 10 along Claiborne Avenue in New Orleans, and got no replies. I assume either the proposal died out, or went dormant. If anyone can tell me otherwise, let me know.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 26, 2015, 03:59:49 PM
A while back, I asked if there were any updates on tearing down Interstate 10 along Claiborne Avenue in New Orleans, and got no replies. I assume either the proposal died out, or went dormant. If anyone can tell me otherwise, let me know.

That proposal is most likely in limbo....awaiting resolution of state and federal funding and details of how to mitigate the impacts of transferring traffic lost if the Claiborne Elevated is removed. Frankly, I hope it stays dead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.