News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compdude787

Wow, this is sure going at a snail's pace! Apparently, it takes a long time to pave a road.

codyg1985

Quote from: compdude787 on April 07, 2017, 01:32:56 PM
Wow, this is sure going at a snail's pace! Apparently, it takes a long time to pave a road.

A lot more goes into it than one would think. It is a long stretch of road for one, and then there are multiple layers of asphalt and road bed material that has to be placed. Asphalt paving is also seasonal and is weather dependent, so most paving doesn't occur during the winter months. In this case, there is also some minor grading work that also needs to occur before paving can begin.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

They may be doing the mainline in concrete on an asphalt base, like I-69/MS 304 west of Hernando. Still, given that there's not an early completion bonus or any other incentive (i.e. being able to collect shadow tolls until a certain future date) I assume the contractor and subcontractors are stretching things out and working on it during gaps between their private and municipal projects when labor and equipment would otherwise be idle.

Certainly if they wanted to be done this fall, they could; it doesn't take that long to pave 80 lane-miles and put up signs if you bring in multiple paving crews.

froggie

QuoteAsphalt paving is also seasonal and is weather dependent, so most paving doesn't occur during the winter months.

In many parts of the country, yes.  But in Mississippi, it tends to remain warm enough for at least some winter paving to occur.

Grzrd

This May 30 MDOT News Release still projects that Interstate 269 will be open to traffic in Fall 2018:

·         Interstate 269 in DeSoto and Marshall Counties
Construction of the Interstate 269 project is on schedule in North Mississippi. This is the largest active MDOT construction project in the state. Dirt and bridgework for the entire Interstate 269 corridor is complete. Crews are currently working on paving the sections of the project that have not been paved. MDOT expects Interstate 269 to be open for traffic in fall 2018. The first section of Interstate 269, from State Route 302 to the Tennessee state line in Marshall County, was opened to traffic on October 23, 2015.

There are also some photos of the progress and even some drone footage:

https://file-exchange.mdot.state.ms.us/dl/?f=5cc56097afbb7de95111932fcc10aadb5a47db4d

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Grzrd on May 30, 2017, 07:00:05 PM
This May 30 MDOT News Release still projects that Interstate 269 will be open to traffic in Fall 2018:

Construction of the Interstate 269 project is on schedule in North Mississippi. This is the largest active MDOT construction project in the state. Dirt and bridgework for the entire Interstate 269 corridor is complete. Crews are currently working on paving the sections of the project that have not been paved. MDOT expects Interstate 269 to be open for traffic in fall 2018. The first section of Interstate 269, from State Route 302 to the Tennessee state line in Marshall County, was opened to traffic on October 23, 2015.

There are also some photos of the progress and even some drone footage:

https://file-exchange.mdot.state.ms.us/dl/?f=5cc56097afbb7de95111932fcc10aadb5a47db4d

Love the drone footage, but has the Mississippi DOT never heard of Youtube?  Can't get the download to work on my iPad just on my  PC.

Tomahawkin

So, hopefully the link from US 78 To IH 55 Will be open a year from now? That's great. Going through 302 is hell and the wrong way of doing suburban development, lining strip malls and restaurants along one road. That's where suburbs in Atlanta went wrong. Are there any photos of the IH 55 and 269 interchange?

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 02, 2017, 11:29:05 AM
So, hopefully the link from US 78 To IH 55 Will be open a year from now? That's great. Going through 302 is hell and the wrong way of doing suburban development, lining strip malls and restaurants along one road. That's where suburbs in Atlanta went wrong. Are there any photos of the IH 55 and 269 interchange?

The 55/269 interchange is simply a full build-out of the present 55/69 cloverleaf interchange near Hernando; plenty of pix available for that facility, since it's been shown on Google Earth for about 10 years now.  What will be interesting is to see how the transition signage, particularly in both directions on I-55 references the connection to I-22 (e.g.: "I-269 EAST to I-22" from southbound I-55).  I'll take a guess that more directional approaches to I-269 (I-69 and I-55 north) will feature at least one control city as well; perhaps Colliersville -- or even Jackson or Nashville!

Tomahawkin

Thanks for the 411 hopefully they will start building truck stops and restaurants around the 78/269 interchange at the start of the year. OT anyone notice the storm damage 15 miles Southeast of there. Like driving in Arkansas, going through that area during a storm is a ####

ilpt4u

Quote from: sparker on June 02, 2017, 04:22:26 PM
I'll take a guess that more directional approaches to I-269 (I-69 and I-55 north) will feature at least one control city as well; perhaps Colliersville -- or even Jackson or Nashville!
Na, do it IL style -- North/Eastbound while in MS: Control "City:" Tennessee. South/Westbound while in TN: Control "City:" Mississippi...Take a page right out of the Tri-State =). Then I-69/I-55 North can have "Memphis" for Downtown

rte66man

Quote from: sparker on June 02, 2017, 04:22:26 PM
What will be interesting is to see how the transition signage, particularly in both directions on I-55 references the connection to I-22 (e.g.: "I-269 EAST to I-22" from southbound I-55).  I'll take a guess that more directional approaches to I-269 (I-69 and I-55 north) will feature at least one control city as well; perhaps Colliersville -- or even Jackson or Nashville!

I would hope it's the latter although if I220 in Jackson is any indication, it will say Byhalia for eastbound 269.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

amroad17

For I-269 North it should have Nashville and Birmingham (although Tupelo could be used).  South I-269 (from I-40) should have Byhalia and Jackson.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Tomahawkin

Any word on the progress of 269 north of I-40? And what does the interchange of 269/40 look like? If they have even started construction there?

NE2

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 16, 2017, 11:09:18 PM
Any word on the progress of 269 north of I-40? And what does the interchange of 269/40 look like? If they have even started construction there?
What? It's a cloverleaf. All done.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Tomahawkin

Oh, I missed out. Haven't been in that area in 15 years. I'm guessing it was done 10+ years ago?

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 16, 2017, 11:43:45 PM
Oh, I missed out. Haven't been in that area in 15 years. I'm guessing it was done 10+ years ago?

The I-22/269 interchange is a relatively recent build; over the past 2-3 years.  There's plenty of pictures of the construction progress, particularly in the I-22 thread.  Apparently the projected opening is sometime in late 2018. 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: sparker on June 16, 2017, 11:58:30 PM

The I-22/269 interchange is a relatively recent build; over the past 2-3 years.  There's plenty of pictures of the construction progress, particularly in the I-22 thread.  Apparently the projected opening is sometime in late 2018.

Tomahawkin was talking about the I-40 interchange.

sparker

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 17, 2017, 12:20:26 AM
Quote from: sparker on June 16, 2017, 11:58:30 PM

Tomahawkin was talking about the I-40 interchange.

Oops -- now I know I should have opted for bifocals!  Missed it by that much!!!! 

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 30, 2017, 07:00:05 PM
MDOT expects Interstate 269 to be open for traffic in fall 2018.

This article provides an optimistic projection that portions of I-269 in Mississippi will open in November, 2017 and May, 2018, with the remainder open to traffic this time next year:

Mitch Turner, Northern District Engineer for the Mississippi Department of Transportation ....
A portion of I-269 is complete from the Marshall County line to Hwy. 302.
Portions through Lewisburg to Hernando remain to be completed. Paving is underway.
The paved portion of I-269 east of 305 into Marshall County will be open this November.
The portion that begins just west of I-55 through Lewisburg is expected to be completed by May of 2018.
"By this time next year, we hope to have I-269 open to traffic," Turner said.

The Ghostbuster

What would be a more reasonable time-frame for Interstate 269's completion in your opinion, Grzrd?

Grzrd

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 07, 2017, 05:19:00 PM
What would be a more reasonable time-frame for Interstate 269's completion in your opinion, Grzrd?

Given that MDOT has more-or-less previously consistently stated that I-269 will be completed in Fall of 2018, any revised projections for earlier completions of certain sections and overall I-269, like the ones covered in the article, are more than reasonable.

Tomahawkin

Yes! Now I can avoid MS 302 through Southhaven. That route is hell and is the perfect example of backwards urban planning and urban development. Sometimes its 50 minutes to get to IH 55 from US 78 via MS route 302

codyg1985

TDOT is letting a signing project to resign TN 385 between the MS State Line and I-40 as I-269. Plans can be found at https://www.tdot.tn.gov/PublicDocuments//Construction/Design_CADD_Files/October%206,%202017%20Letting/Region%204/125391-00-RoadwayInfoOnly.pdf
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

triplemultiplex

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 11, 2017, 03:16:52 PM
TDOT is letting a signing project to resign TN 385 between the MS State Line and I-40 as I-269. Plans can be found at https://www.tdot.tn.gov/PublicDocuments//Construction/Design_CADD_Files/October%206,%202017%20Letting/Region%204/125391-00-RoadwayInfoOnly.pdf
Bah, sign the whole thing and be done with it.  So what if it doesn't connect to anything on the north side for a decade or more?  Better to get it resigned all at once rather than have to introduce another number change in the future. 
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Brooks

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 12, 2017, 02:45:47 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on September 11, 2017, 03:16:52 PM
Bah, sign the whole thing and be done with it.  So what if it doesn't connect to anything on the north side for a decade or more?  Better to get it resigned all at once rather than have to introduce another number change in the future.
I agree. Now with the way they are signing it there will be two disjointed sections of SR 385 in Shelby County.  And US 51 in Millington would be a perfectly fine stopping point for 269 until they complete the rest of SIU 9.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.